Rutgers-Newark Class of 2014 (First Acceptances are in)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Justathought

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2014 (First Acceptances are in)

Postby Justathought » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:25 pm

jwargoru wrote:
Justathought wrote:
jwargoru wrote:I applied on 2/28 and my application went complete on 3/2. I received my acceptance this morning, 3/16. I was worried about applying so late in the cycle, but I am relieved that I was accepted as RU Newark is the only school I applied for this cycle.

Congrats!

Thank you! :D

For anyone interested: 2.8/160 non-URM
Low GPA due to some difficult circumstances during undergrad explained in my PS.

I was in a similar situation, numbers wise. 2.4/164/URM

AmericaninManchuria

Postby AmericaninManchuria » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:21 pm

get it to x wrote:In case any of you have any questions about RU, please feel free to post since things are slightly less frenetic now that spring break has arrived. I'll try to answer them as accurately/fairly as I can.

Get it to x, I posted this on the Forum for Class of 2014, but I'll put it here too if you wouldn't mind sharing your experience:

1. I know Rutgers doesn't rank students until graduation, but I was wondering if anyone knew if they still post the grades and make them public...?

2. And how are students accepted to Law Review? Are they automatically admitted based on grades or is it grades + a writing competition or something?

3. (Last one!) Has it been your experience that most professors have old exams on file in the library? Do they often go a few years back?

Thanks very much! :)

Lawst

Postby Lawst » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:07 am

Have any other RU-N admitted students gotten an e-mail from Rutgers-Camden inviting them to apply - no, actually telling them to apply and pick up their admission letter and fin aid packet for RU-C at this 3/26 Dean's Day event in Camden that is the same weekend as the RU-N open house? What's going on with that? Are they openly competing with each other or am I misinterpreting it?

IHaveLawyers

Postby IHaveLawyers » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:16 am

anyone apply for PT? just trying to gauge the numbers for this year.

sUkNoIrzTforEall

Postby sUkNoIrzTforEall » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:19 am

I also got that email. I don't think it told me to apply, but it did say to pick up my Rutgers gear and scholarship letter. Decidedly confusing.

Wouldn't mind a blanket and mug, though. :wink:

get it to x

Postby get it to x » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:08 am

AmericaninManchuria wrote:
get it to x wrote:In case any of you have any questions about RU, please feel free to post since things are slightly less frenetic now that spring break has arrived. I'll try to answer them as accurately/fairly as I can.

Get it to x, I posted this on the Forum for Class of 2014, but I'll put it here too if you wouldn't mind sharing your experience:

1. I know Rutgers doesn't rank students until graduation, but I was wondering if anyone knew if they still post the grades and make them public...?

2. And how are students accepted to Law Review? Are they automatically admitted based on grades or is it grades + a writing competition or something?

3. (Last one!) Has it been your experience that most professors have old exams on file in the library? Do they often go a few years back?

Thanks very much! :)

1. As far as I know, grades are not published in any public way in the sense that you can find out a classmate's grades. One of the reasons RU doesn't rank is so employers can't use arbitrary cut-off's to eliminate students from OCI (ie. give us your top 10%). Supposedly, this approach makes them actually read your resume. It's not hard for them though to look through your transcript see your grades and do a rough calculation of what your GPA is. I'm sure any employer who comes to campus with regularity knows the deal and has found a way around it.

2. Law Review is completely based on write on which I think is actually very fair. At the end of first year you can write on to any of the journals. In case you're curious, LRW does not prep you for write-on. It can be interesting to watch people go into write-on with a chip on their shoulder because they've done well in LRW only to not write on to law review.

3. This policy, by and large, varies from professor to professor and also subject area to subject area. Contracts professors, for the most part, seem to release their exams. Others do not at all. How far they go back varies professor to professor as well. Personally, I prefer the professor not to have exams released. I think it's contradictory to go to such great lengths (curves,etc.) to standardize everything and then allow people in a class an opportunity to get more practice than others simply by preparing the material early enough to get through more practice exams. Everyone should see that professor's test questions for the first time on test day. Just my take.

Lawst

Postby Lawst » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:59 am

sUkNoIrzTforEall wrote:I also got that email. I don't think it told me to apply, but it did say to pick up my Rutgers gear and scholarship letter. Decidedly confusing.

Yeah, mine told me to apply but basically said that I'd be admitted and to pick up my scholly letter. On top of that, it seemed to suggest that I could apply some of my scholly money toward my seat deposit. And yes, the blanket, hat and t-shirt. I don't think they offered me a mug, which sucks because I'll need that to panhandle when I'm an unemployed JD. :P
Kinda shady, no? I know the two campuses kind of compete, but this seems ridiculous. And I'm pretty sure it's on the same day as the annual open house for RU-N. It makes me wonder what's going on over at Rutgers.

LaProfe14

Postby LaProfe14 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:20 pm

Do rejections come through snail mail and email? Did anyone accepted on status checker before receiving a admit email?

I'm getting anxious, it's been 6 weeks complete today!

Isabella23

Postby Isabella23 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:43 pm

LaProfe14 wrote:Do rejections come through snail mail and email? Did anyone accepted on status checker before receiving a admit email?

I'm getting anxious, it's been 6 weeks complete today!

I did see the status checker change to admitted before getting the email (I was obsessed and checking it every day) but I did get the email a couple of hours later

bateson77

Postby bateson77 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:04 pm

Complete on 3/4. Admitted 3/16 via email & status checker. Non-traditional applicant/PT.

IHaveLawyers

Postby IHaveLawyers » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:07 pm

bateson77 wrote:Complete on 3/4. Admitted 3/16 via email & status checker. Non-traditional applicant/PT.

Hey! I applied PT too and went complete today. What were your stats?

bateson77

Postby bateson77 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:19 pm

IHaveLawyers wrote:
bateson77 wrote:Complete on 3/4. Admitted 3/16 via email & status checker. Non-traditional applicant/PT.

Hey! I applied PT too and went complete today. What were your stats?

3.13/157

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:03 pm

Lawst wrote:
sUkNoIrzTforEall wrote:I also got that email. I don't think it told me to apply, but it did say to pick up my Rutgers gear and scholarship letter. Decidedly confusing.

Yeah, mine told me to apply but basically said that I'd be admitted and to pick up my scholly letter. On top of that, it seemed to suggest that I could apply some of my scholly money toward my seat deposit. And yes, the blanket, hat and t-shirt. I don't think they offered me a mug, which sucks because I'll need that to panhandle when I'm an unemployed JD. :P
Kinda shady, no? I know the two campuses kind of compete, but this seems ridiculous. And I'm pretty sure it's on the same day as the annual open house for RU-N. It makes me wonder what's going on over at Rutgers.

If you're curious, all of the e-mails for all RU schools run through New Brunswick. A lot of times they get fucked up because the IT people in NB suck (this happened to me multiple times). The e-mails were probably in error; it has nothing to do with competition between the schools (and there is none; they are in different parts of the state and serve different markets).

Lawst

Postby Lawst » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:11 pm

keg411 wrote:
Lawst wrote:

If you're curious, all of the e-mails for all RU schools run through New Brunswick. A lot of times they get fucked up because the IT people in NB suck (this happened to me multiple times). The e-mails were probably in error; it has nothing to do with competition between the schools (and there is none; they are in different parts of the state and serve different markets).

OK, that makes sense - I mean, Camden is better for Philly and Newark for New York, so I couldn't really figure out why they'd bother to compete anyway. It just seemed so weird.
However, now I feel I should lobby RU-N for a hat. :)

get it to x

Postby get it to x » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:54 pm

If any Newark or NJ native knows about the safety of the area surrounding the district court downtown that would be great. It seems like a lot of my summer work is going to entail trips to the courthouse walking from Penn Station.

LaProfe14

Postby LaProfe14 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:36 pm

wow that was extremely fast!

Lawst

Postby Lawst » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:58 pm

Mailed my seat deposit today. Unless I get off the waitlist at Fordham or Cardozo, I'll be here come August. See some of you there?

Iceman389

Postby Iceman389 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:39 pm

Had anyone who has had their application put on hold hear anything back yet?

Jersey89

Postby Jersey89 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:17 pm

I've been on hold for a decision since 03/14, hoping for a decision sometime this week.

ashleyryan

Postby ashleyryan » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:22 pm

Anyone still at complete?

Cuz I ammmmmmmmm

LaProfe14

Postby LaProfe14 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:01 pm

ashleyryan wrote:Anyone still at complete?

Cuz I ammmmmmmmm

me tooooooooooo

amg414

Postby amg414 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:22 am

Anyone here going to the open house on Friday?

Isabella23

Postby Isabella23 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:28 am

amg414 wrote:Anyone here going to the open house on Friday?

I'll be there

singingkris

Postby singingkris » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:00 pm

Complete since 1/31 :(

ktg808

Postby ktg808 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:09 pm

Just withdrew, good luck to everyone!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”