Rutgers-Newark Class of 2014 (First Acceptances are in)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
NJcollegestudent

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2014

Postby NJcollegestudent » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:24 pm

LSAT Taker wrote:Thanks all for sharing useful info and insightful thoughts. As a family man, I'm also interested in learning more about the housing and public education situations. Is Hoboken under a decent school system? Safe for kids? How expensive? I would need a 3-4 bedroom unit. Thanks again.

I do not know about Hoboken's school system, however, in Essex County, Montclair, and Millburn have good systems.

LSAT Taker

Postby LSAT Taker » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:27 pm

JennBNYC wrote:
aidez-moi wrote:This is awesome news. I spent the summer commuting from Madison to Penn NY everyday right when NJ Transit upped fares by like 15%, so this sounds 10x better.

Would you recommend Hoboken? Every time I've been I've had a great time...is the only downside the cost?

I think Hoboken is a great place. When I was working in NYC the commute was awesome. The only thing I don't LOVE about it is that it feels like a college town, especially on the weekends, but that's just a personal thing. That being said, it's clean, safe, and has TONS of good restaurants and bars. It is relatively expensive compared to other parts of North Jersey, but there are ways to make it affordable. I live in a 4th floor walk-up and have two roommates, and my rent is $800/mo. I do live right downtown though, and my place is nice for the cost. There are more affordable apartments, too, but you may have to live further from the PATH or sacrifice some comforts. If you don't want roommates you'll have to pay a pretty penny, but there are plenty of options.

Thanks for great info. As for housing, do I understand that a nice 3-bedroom apartment in downtown Hoboken would cost me around 2.5K/mo.? That's not cheap. Are you also familiar with the school system there?

LSAT Taker

Postby LSAT Taker » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:28 pm

NJcollegestudent wrote:
LSAT Taker wrote:Thanks all for sharing useful info and insightful thoughts. As a family man, I'm also interested in learning more about the housing and public education situations. Is Hoboken under a decent school system? Safe for kids? How expensive? I would need a 3-4 bedroom unit. Thanks again.

I do not know about Hoboken's school system, however, in Essex County, Montclair, and Millburn have good systems.

Sorry I keep posting replies a step behind you. You must be a fast typer.

NJcollegestudent

Postby NJcollegestudent » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:31 pm

LSAT Taker wrote:
NJcollegestudent wrote:

That is alright, you will receive quite a few responses on your question. I will also add that if you are willing to love a bit further, about 20 miles or so, Union and Middlesex counties have good schools and a very short commute to Newark. The rent, while not in the thousands, can run anywhere from $800-$1000 for a two bedroom.

I just realized every time i seem to submit a post, i get a (1) on my email, odd trend.

LSAT Taker

Postby LSAT Taker » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:34 pm

NJcollegestudent wrote:
LSAT Taker wrote:
NJcollegestudent wrote:

That is alright, you will receive quite a few responses on your question. I will also add that if you are willing to love a bit further, about 20 miles or so, Union and Middlesex counties have good schools and a very short commute to Newark. The rent, while not in the thousands, can run anywhere from $800-$1000 for a two bedroom.
I just realized every time i seem to submit a post, i get a (1) on my email, odd trend.

That sounds awesome. Many thanks for useful info.

JennBNYC

Postby JennBNYC » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:37 pm

LSAT Taker wrote:Thanks for great info. As for housing, do I understand that a nice 3-bedroom apartment in downtown Hoboken would cost me around 2.5K/mo.? That's not cheap. Are you also familiar with the school system there?

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with the school systems either. Ironically though, hMAG (the Hoboken "lifestyle magazine") just did a feature in their most recent issue about having a family in Hoboken: --LinkRemoved-- ..maybe clicking around the site would be insightful.

However, that $2,500 figure is probably accurate :-/. It's really not cheap if you can't split with roommates. You may also want to look into Newport Pavonia/(some parts of) Jersey City. They're just as accessible to the PATH, and the MAY be more affordable (have no idea). There's a mall in Newport/Pavonia and when I walk to it from Hoboken I always seen lots of families. Also, check out Montclair/Clifton/Rutherford. You can get a lot more for your money there, and it's not THAT much further (have NJT options and you could drive(?)).

NJcollegestudent

Postby NJcollegestudent » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:38 pm

I just realized every time i seem to submit a post, i get a (1) on my email, odd trend.[/quote]
That sounds awesome. Many thanks for useful info.[/quote][/quote]

I just saw that i wrote if you are willing to "love" a bit further, instead of live a bit further.

LSAT Taker

Postby LSAT Taker » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:43 pm

JennBNYC wrote:
LSAT Taker wrote:Thanks for great info. As for housing, do I understand that a nice 3-bedroom apartment in downtown Hoboken would cost me around 2.5K/mo.? That's not cheap. Are you also familiar with the school system there?

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with the school systems either. Ironically though, hMAG (the Hoboken "lifestyle magazine") just did a feature in their most recent issue about having a family in Hoboken: --LinkRemoved-- ..maybe clicking around the site would be insightful.

However, that $2,500 figure is probably accurate :-/. It's really not cheap if you can't split with roommates. You may also want to look into Newport Pavonia/(some parts of) Jersey City. They're just as accessible to the PATH, and the MAY be more affordable (have no idea). There's a mall in Newport/Pavonia and when I walk to it from Hoboken I always seen lots of families. Also, check out Montclair/Clifton/Rutherford. You can get a lot more for your money there, and it's not THAT much further (have NJT options and you could drive(?)).

Awesome! Can't thank you enough for this.

LSAT Taker

Postby LSAT Taker » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:45 pm

NJcollegestudent wrote:That is alright, you will receive quite a few responses on your question. I will also add that if you are willing to love a bit further, about 20 miles or so, Union and Middlesex counties have good schools and a very short commute to Newark. The rent, while not in the thousands, can run anywhere from $800-$1000 for a two bedroom.

That sounds awesome. Many thanks for useful info.[/quote][/quote]

I just saw that i wrote if you are willing to "love" a bit further, instead of live a bit further.[/quote]
:mrgreen: Noted, and actually was tempted to make fun of it ("yeah, I'm willing to love a bit further.") Seriously, I believe that we all should love a bit further. :mrgreen:

NJcollegestudent

Postby NJcollegestudent » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:58 pm

Anyone holding out hope for decisions today?

IfByWhiskey770

Postby IfByWhiskey770 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:02 pm

NJcollegestudent wrote:Anyone holding out hope for decisions today?

Got my decision via email today.

Admitted! :)

Check your online status if you submitted at the beginning of November, I guess.

NJcollegestudent

Postby NJcollegestudent » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:06 pm

I must be at the end of the batch then. I submitted on October 14, 2010, and went complete on November 4, 2010.

153/3.98 2 LOR

Anyone want to take a guess at my chances?

northwood

Postby northwood » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:15 pm

NJcollegestudent wrote:I must be at the end of the batch then. I submitted on October 14, 2010, and went complete on November 4, 2010.

153/3.98 2 LOR

You are in!!!!!!!!!

NJcollegestudent

Postby NJcollegestudent » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:19 pm

northwood wrote:
NJcollegestudent wrote:I must be at the end of the batch then. I submitted on October 14, 2010, and went complete on November 4, 2010.

153/3.98 2 LOR

You are in!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for that northwood. For a minute there i was thinking, did he or she have accesses to my status checker and know something i did not.

Northwood has your status changed? I remeber seeing a 158 LSAT for you, and i did not see your gpa.

It seems we are applying to many of the same schools in the area, as i have seen you in the Hofstra thread and the Seton Hall thread.

northwood

Postby northwood » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:27 pm

my status hasnt changed at any of my schools. There all either under review, or gone complete ( early to mid november). I know that Seton Hall wont let us know of their decision until mid january, and im pretty sure Hofstra is similar. Rutgers seems to be one of the early ones to make a decision ( PSU may, im under review, but have been for about a month).

Im sure you will be getting plenty of acceptances in the upcoming weeks. Your gpa is rock star awesome, and your lsat is pretty groovy ( your better than 75% of the rest of the testers) so, i think you will be dancing pretty nicely soon.

Have you applied to Camden as well? I just went complete there. with a 3.53 158, i like my chances at getting in, but im not going to start celebrating yet.

NJcollegestudent

Postby NJcollegestudent » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:45 pm

northwood wrote:my status hasnt changed at any of my schools. There all either under review, or gone complete ( early to mid november). I know that Seton Hall wont let us know of their decision until mid january, and im pretty sure Hofstra is similar. Rutgers seems to be one of the early ones to make a decision ( PSU may, im under review, but have been for about a month).

Im sure you will be getting plenty of acceptances in the upcoming weeks. Your gpa is rock star awesome, and your lsat is pretty groovy ( your better than 75% of the rest of the testers) so, i think you will be dancing pretty nicely soon.

Have you applied to Camden as well? I just went complete there. with a 3.53 158, i like my chances at getting in, but im not going to start celebrating yet.

I did apply to Rutgers Camden, i went complete on November 3, 2010 and am waiting for a decision. I think you have a great chance at both and maybe scholarship money at Newark.

Are you on LSN for this cycle? I did not see any similar stats to the ones you posted, so i am assuming you are not.

Law School Predictor had me at 57% to Rutgers-Newark, 46% at Rutgers-Camden, and 61% at Seton Hall.

I am also looking at Queens (CUNY) Law School as well in this area, New York Law School, Hofstra Law School.

I have also applied to Dayton Law School, Phoenix Law School (admitted), Valparaiso Law School, Penn State (Application complete, not in review yet), Florida Coastal Law School, Quinnipiac Law School, and RWU Law School.

NJcollegestudent

Postby NJcollegestudent » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:47 pm

northwood wrote:my status hasnt changed at any of my schools. There all either under review, or gone complete ( early to mid november). I know that Seton Hall wont let us know of their decision until mid january, and im pretty sure Hofstra is similar. Rutgers seems to be one of the early ones to make a decision ( PSU may, im under review, but have been for about a month).

I just saw someone post that when they asked the Hofstra Law Tour Guide or Dean, that anyone who submitted by November 15 would automatically be considered for EA, and hear back by December 15.

NJcollegestudent

Postby NJcollegestudent » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:45 am

To those that i missed on congratulating, IfByWhiskey770, Reggister, LSAT Taker, MrMisu, congratulations on your acceptance. :)

LSAT Taker

Postby LSAT Taker » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:49 am

NJcollegestudent wrote:To those that i missed on congratulating, IfByWhiskey770, Reggister, LSAT Taker, MrMisu, congratulations on your acceptance. :)

Thanks, NJcollegestudent. I look forward to hearing great news from you about your admits.

jerseygirl

Postby jerseygirl » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:34 pm

It looks like they've been sending out admissions decisions around 3:00 Eastern time, so we still have a chance to hear today!

MrMisiu

Postby MrMisiu » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:00 pm

NJcollegestudent wrote:To those that i missed on congratulating, IfByWhiskey770, Reggister, LSAT Taker, MrMisu, congratulations on your acceptance. :)

Thanks a lot NJcollegestudent, I appreciated it! I'll return the favor (hopefully today) in congratulating you on your acceptance :D

kaybee123

Postby kaybee123 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:57 pm

Has anyone got an acceptance today? :?

NJcollegestudent

Postby NJcollegestudent » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:18 pm

I did not receive anything from them today. The status still notes file complete as of 11/4/2010.

Here is something that is positive, on LSN most people heard back before the end of the month and Christmas if they submitted it before December.

NJLawGirl520

Postby NJLawGirl520 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:59 pm

Hey guys!! I am in as of Dec 6..

NJ Resident.. 2.85/ 156... went complete Nov 24...

NJcollegestudent

Postby NJcollegestudent » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:33 pm

Congratulations on your acceptance, are you full time or part time?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”