Rutgers-Newark Class of 2014 (First Acceptances are in)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Justathought

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2014 (First Acceptances are in)

Postby Justathought » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:07 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys. I have read many of the guides on how to succeed, and I wanted to tailor something along those lines for my particular preferences. I don't mind getting up around 5am; in fact that schedule is pretty much my life now, just minus the law school part. Insert work instead and more free time after 5pm. We'll see how it all works out, but something along those lines would be ideal if I could accomplish all my work and really get a good grasp on the material.

Its going to be one big experiment, but I'm trying to get a game plan setup before day 1.

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:22 pm

Well since I'm pretty much sold, started a thread for the class of 2014. Here's the link, make your way over if your headed to Newark in August! :wink:

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=148893

fiupike24

Postby fiupike24 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:56 am

I just applied Last week and my application was complete 2/28 I know that I obviously am pretty much late for financial awards However I was not going to get any regardless I think I am hoping to get in as part of the 25th%tile I scored a 155 3.1 GPA any word of advice on my chances?

Joymin

Postby Joymin » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:14 am

I applied in January with an LSAT of 160. I got in w/o any $$, and called Dean Walton to understand that. She said that 164/3.4 was the cut-off this year for scholarship awards. Besides, Rutgers is not a private school so it has much less money to give away.

All the best!

fiupike24 wrote:I just applied Last week and my application was complete 2/28 I know that I obviously am pretty much late for financial awards However I was not going to get any regardless I think I am hoping to get in as part of the 25th%tile I scored a 155 3.1 GPA any word of advice on my chances?

AmericaninManchuria

Postby AmericaninManchuria » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:52 am

Joymin wrote:I applied in January with an LSAT of 160. I got in w/o any $$, and called Dean Walton to understand that. She said that 164/3.4 was the cut-off this year for scholarship awards. Besides, Rutgers is not a private school so it has much less money to give away.

All the best!

fiupike24 wrote:I just applied Last week and my application was complete 2/28 I know that I obviously am pretty much late for financial awards However I was not going to get any regardless I think I am hoping to get in as part of the 25th%tile I scored a 155 3.1 GPA any word of advice on my chances?

The 164/3.4 cut off is definitely untrue. Just look at lawschoolnumbers.com and you can see the stats of those who got scholarships. I got $8,000 with a 161/3.45..

Joymin

Postby Joymin » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:31 pm

In another thread re: Akron, I read discussions about Akron luring students with attractive scholarships but with the knowledge that not all of them will be able to retain the scholarship in the second and third years due to their stringent criteria. That was enough to keep me from applying.

I may be asking a general question on this Rutgers-specific thread, but do law schools say just about anything to its applicants/admits just to back their decisions?

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:43 pm

AmericaninManchuria wrote:
Joymin wrote:I applied in January with an LSAT of 160. I got in w/o any $$, and called Dean Walton to understand that. She said that 164/3.4 was the cut-off this year for scholarship awards. Besides, Rutgers is not a private school so it has much less money to give away.

All the best!

The 164/3.4 cut off is definitely untrue. Just look at lawschoolnumbers.com and you can see the stats of those who got scholarships. I got $8,000 with a 161/3.45..

I can confirm that the cutoff is untrue as well, from multiple sources. I think it might be an either / or situation. I got 8k with a 2.4/164. I know someone who didn't screw up in college and got the same with a 157. :P

champ33

Postby champ33 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:31 pm

Justathought wrote:
AmericaninManchuria wrote:

All the best!

I can confirm that the cutoff is untrue as well, from multiple sources. I think it might be an either / or situation. I got 8k with a 2.4/164. I know someone who didn't screw up in college and got the same with a 157. :P

It may be that you need to have EITHER a 3.4 or a 164 for a scholarship, not both.

NJPharmD2011

Postby NJPharmD2011 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:54 pm

champ33 wrote:
It may be that you need to have EITHER a 3.4 or a 164 for a scholarship, not both.

I had a 3.0/162 and got 8k/year...

rw2188

Postby rw2188 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:10 am

Justathought wrote:
sbmr12 wrote:
Justathought wrote:
sbmr12 wrote:I'm going to visit the campus on the March 25 Open House day and hopefully get a feel for the area. Does anyone know where the majority of students who go to Rutgers live? I am from Texas and am pretty unfamiliar with NJ, so any advice would be appreciated.

A lot of people live in Hoboken and Jersey City, many others commute from the various suburbs which make up most of the state. On campus housing is also an option, if you don't mind dorm style living. I would stay away from off campus housing in Newark.

I recommend Hoboken. For slightly more than the dorms (not including added travel expenses), you can live in a safe little city that's filled with people in their 20s and 30s, and is only 20 minutes to NYC via public transportation.

Thanks for your help! I'll be sure to check out those areas when I visit.

No problem. Check out craigslist for an idea of an idea of prices. Search NJ - North Jersey-Rooms/Shared - Hoboken. Prices are around 750 - $1500. The latter price is very expensive, but will get you a luxury apartment on the water with amazing views of the NYC. I would not recommend that for a law student unless you have all sorts of disposable income. Also, use Google Maps for a street view of areas in Hoboken. This should give you an idea of the area before you visit.

Edit: You will probably want a roommate or two to save on rent. That's why I suggested looking for rooms/shared. In this general area, anywhere worth living will cost at least $1100 dollars without roommates.

i DONT recommend Hoboken for 1 main reason-- how are you getting to school? Remember, its where you have to be early (before 8:30 for some people) 5 days a week for the first year. At best, you have to either take NJ transit from Hoboken Station to Broad Street, or take the light rail to the PATH. If you decide to drive, your best bet is to rent a space in a garage, because on street parking is a nightmare.
On the other hand, Dorm style living sucks-- there is no grocery store in the immediate area and you can't really choose who you live with.

just a thought...

fiupike24

Postby fiupike24 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:19 am

I just found out that there isn't a class ranking system until you graduate, how do you transfer out if you don't like the school/local atmosphere?

king3780

Postby king3780 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:52 am

fiupike24 wrote:I just found out that there isn't a class ranking system until you graduate, how do you transfer out if you don't like the school/local atmosphere?

Partly, that's the point. They don't want people to transfer out. Maybe, just a guess. In reality, transferring out of R-N isn't a big deal; I know several people who did this year. Other schools can figure it out pretty easily: if 3.0 is median and summa cum laude for the most recent class to graduate is 3.7 (totally making that number up) and the kid who wants to transfer has a 3.8, he's a decent candidate to accept as a transfer. Or, kid from Rutgers applies to your school, has a 3.2, probably somewhere between top 30-40%, doesn't matter b/c he doesn't meet your transfer criteria.

Oh and this is me making TLS' obligatory "don't go to a school intending to transfer out of it" disclaimer.

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:31 am

rw2188 wrote:
i DONT recommend Hoboken for 1 main reason-- how are you getting to school? Remember, its where you have to be early (before 8:30 for some people) 5 days a week for the first year. At best, you have to either take NJ transit from Hoboken Station to Broad Street, or take the light rail to the PATH. If you decide to drive, your best bet is to rent a space in a garage, because on street parking is a nightmare.
On the other hand, Dorm style living sucks-- there is no grocery store in the immediate area and you can't really choose who you live with.

just a thought...

Yeah, I was thinking about just driving and renting a spot. Also considering taking the late track; that way I can still get to school as early as possible, but don't have to worry about being late for a class if I'm running a few minutes behind schedule.

aidez-moi

Postby aidez-moi » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:45 am

rw2188 wrote:i DONT recommend Hoboken for 1 main reason-- how are you getting to school? Remember, its where you have to be early (before 8:30 for some people) 5 days a week for the first year. At best, you have to either take NJ transit from Hoboken Station to Broad Street, or take the light rail to the PATH. If you decide to drive, your best bet is to rent a space in a garage, because on street parking is a nightmare.

just a thought...

Uhh NJ Transit? If you're not comfortable a train commute, then yeah you shouldn't live in Hoboken. That being said, I would think it's definitely worth it for an extra 20 minute commute every day. (Although their rate hikes are coming way to quickly these days.)

But that's just me.

ianpliberty

Postby ianpliberty » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:24 pm

Hey Everyone,

Congrats to those who have gotten in so far! I just sent in my seat deposit check so I will definitely be attending. I was wondering if anyone was planning on moving close to school and looking for roommates? I am trying to avoid dorming if possible (although i would if need be) but want to stay as close to school as I can also.

Talk to you all soon,
Ian

rw2188

Postby rw2188 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:16 pm

aidez-moi wrote:
rw2188 wrote:i DONT recommend Hoboken for 1 main reason-- how are you getting to school? Remember, its where you have to be early (before 8:30 for some people) 5 days a week for the first year. At best, you have to either take NJ transit from Hoboken Station to Broad Street, or take the light rail to the PATH. If you decide to drive, your best bet is to rent a space in a garage, because on street parking is a nightmare.

just a thought...

Uhh NJ Transit? If you're not comfortable a train commute, then yeah you shouldn't live in Hoboken. That being said, I would think it's definitely worth it for an extra 20 minute commute every day. (Although their rate hikes are coming way to quickly these days.)

But that's just me.

extra 20 minutes each day goes a long way. I live in downtown Jersey City, which is a 40 minute commute each way, with no car. Although there is nothing sexier in Hoboken and being close to NYC, the commute gets old. quick. You realize you have all these cases to read and somehow you have to figure in getting home back to your apartment and eating/ showering/ exercise etc. Time is better spent doing those things than waiting for the light rail/ PATH/NJ Transit.
Also, if you DO decide to drive, you need to beat the undergrads who get to the Rutgers garages mad early otherwise you may not have a spot in the garage. If you take the late track, you have to get to school by 8:30 or you'll be in a crappy spot, if at all.

FYI- there are also free shuttles that run to Kearny/Harrison and to Penn Station after 4 PM during the week for the Rutgers Community. Unless you want to carry pepper spray or risk being stabbed on your way home, look into the shuttle.

get it to x

Postby get it to x » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:24 pm

rw2188 wrote:
aidez-moi wrote:

just a thought...

But that's just me.

extra 20 minutes each day goes a long way. I live in downtown Jersey City, which is a 40 minute commute each way, with no car. Although there is nothing sexier in Hoboken and being close to NYC, the commute gets old. quick. You realize you have all these cases to read and somehow you have to figure in getting home back to your apartment and eating/ showering/ exercise etc. Time is better spent doing those things than waiting for the light rail/ PATH/NJ Transit.
Also, if you DO decide to drive, you need to beat the undergrads who get to the Rutgers garages mad early otherwise you may not have a spot in the garage. If you take the late track, you have to get to school by 8:30 or you'll be in a crappy spot, if at all.

FYI- there are also free shuttles that run to Kearny/Harrison and to Penn Station after 4 PM during the week for the Rutgers Community. Unless you want to carry pepper spray or risk being stabbed on your way home, look into the shuttle.

Really depends on your lifestyle and if you need a separation between school and home. I know I did and the commute, although a pain, is just a negative you have to get used to. HBK rents are likely much more expensive than the ones you're quoting above unless that's per person. HBK is basically the fall-back for New Yorkers who can't afford West Village rents and want more space with a more collegiate feel because of Stevens Tech etc. There are other places closer to school that are much cheaper and have more space. Try the Oranges, Jersey City (except Newport), Bloomfield, Nutley, etc. If you have a car already, those areas will save you much more cash than living in Hoboken. The way 1L is structured you won't be able to enjoy NYC much if at all anyway for at least a year.

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:01 pm

Okay, let's get this out in the open. I'm willing to rent a parking spot in addition to an apartment in Hoboken. I fully intend on being at school at/or around 8:30 every morning. I'm good to go, right?

I don't really expect to have much time to enjoy anything related to the neighborhood, but its nice to know its there on the off chance I have a moment of free time.

rw2188

Postby rw2188 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:15 pm

Justathought wrote:Okay, let's get this out in the open. I'm willing to rent a parking spot in addition to an apartment in Hoboken. I fully intend on being at school at/or around 8:30 every morning. I'm good to go, right?

I don't really expect to have much time to enjoy anything related to the neighborhood, but its nice to know its there on the off chance I have a moment of free time.

Have you ever been to Hoboken? If you haven't, check it out on a Friday or Saturday night. Warning- if you are going to a bar, you will have to wait online, outside the bar. If you fantasize about being a cast member on Jersey Shore, this is the town for you. If you drive, then you will also need a parking tag ($300 something for the year) for the Rutgers garages in addition to a parking spot in boken (around $100- $250 per month).

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:29 pm

rw2188 wrote:
Justathought wrote:Okay, let's get this out in the open. I'm willing to rent a parking spot in addition to an apartment in Hoboken. I fully intend on being at school at/or around 8:30 every morning. I'm good to go, right?

Have you ever been to Hoboken? If you haven't, check it out on a Friday or Saturday night. Warning- if you are going to a bar, you will have to wait online, outside the bar. If you fantasize about being a cast member on Jersey Shore, this is the town for you. If you drive, then you will also need a parking tag ($300 something for the year) for the Rutgers garages in addition to a parking spot in boken (around $100- $250 per month).

Haha! I have been to Hoboken, and I don't particularly love it, but its at least somewhat urban. I mean, ideally I would just keep living in Queens, but that commute would be a nightmare, and then there is the major issue of out-of-state tuition. Rutgers is actually quite affordable with the 8k I got from them, so if I had to pay an extra 250 a month for parking, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

I just want a place that's somewhat lively, and has lots of amenities within walking distance of my apartment. I doubt I'll wait on a single bar line during the entirety of my stay there, that's just not my scene. My scene is more - study and go running near the water once and a while.

aidez-moi

Postby aidez-moi » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:59 pm

Justathought wrote:
rw2188 wrote:

Haha! I have been to Hoboken, and I don't particularly love it, but its at least somewhat urban. I mean, ideally I would just keep living in Queens, but that commute would be a nightmare, and then there is the major issue of out-of-state tuition. Rutgers is actually quite affordable with the 8k I got from them, so if I had to pay an extra 250 a month for parking, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

I just want a place that's somewhat lively, and has lots of amenities within walking distance of my apartment. I doubt I'll wait on a single bar line during the entirety of my stay there, that's just not my scene. My scene is more - study and go running near the water once and a while.

rw is obviously a hater, but if you're going to live in Jersey, Hoboken and to a lesser extent Jersey City are the only two nice urban options.

To be honest I'd just take the train in from Hoboken. Sure it's about 20 minutes, but you could actually read on the train as opposed to driving. Plus you'd be saving the money from having to rent a parking spot let alone gas money. Sure it's somewhat more of a bitch, but it would definitely be easier. Not safer, but easier.

rw2188

Postby rw2188 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:57 pm

aidez-moi wrote:
Justathought wrote:
rw2188 wrote:
Justathought wrote:

rw is obviously a hater, but if you're going to live in Jersey, Hoboken and to a lesser extent Jersey City are the only two nice urban options.

To be honest I'd just take the train in from Hoboken. Sure it's about 20 minutes, but you could actually read on the train as opposed to driving. Plus you'd be saving the money from having to rent a parking spot let alone gas money. Sure it's somewhat more of a bitch, but it would definitely be easier. Not safer, but easier.

Yea, I'll be the first to admit I am a hater. I live in downtown Jersey City in one of those faceless high rises, with a doorman, and a gym thats facing west with a beautiful view of the Manhattan Skyline. If you want more personality but not the killer commute by car/ train, I would recommend the area by Van Voorst park or Hamilton Park up by the grove st station stop on the PATH. The Path is the NJ version of the subway, and it will take you right into NYC (world trade, the West village and Midtown) 24 hours a day.
Again, when you are looking for places to live, make sure you walk the streets and get a feel for the neighborhood. Being a single young female, security is very important to me (and my father) so we were concerned whether I could reliably take public transport late at night after an evening in the library and walk back to my apartment without freaking out. Most people don't come from an urban setting, so they need to know that this aint the safest place. But you being from Queens, this shouldnt be a problem...

aidez-moi

Postby aidez-moi » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:32 pm

rw2188 wrote:Yea, I'll be the first to admit I am a hater. I live in downtown Jersey City in one of those faceless high rises, with a doorman, and a gym thats facing west with a beautiful view of the Manhattan Skyline. If you want more personality but not the killer commute by car/ train, I would recommend the area by Van Voorst park or Hamilton Park up by the grove st station stop on the PATH. The Path is the NJ version of the subway, and it will take you right into NYC (world trade, the West village and Midtown) 24 hours a day.
Again, when you are looking for places to live, make sure you walk the streets and get a feel for the neighborhood. Being a single young female, security is very important to me (and my father) so we were concerned whether I could reliably take public transport late at night after an evening in the library and walk back to my apartment without freaking out. Most people don't come from an urban setting, so they need to know that this aint the safest place. But you being from Queens, this shouldnt be a problem...

All excellent points that should definitely be taken into consideration.

NJcollegestudent

Postby NJcollegestudent » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:16 pm

This is something to consider-

I have been on the campus for three years now, and never have i heard of a student being shot or stabbed while waiting for mass transit.

You have many options for commuting, and again just be aware if your surroundings. Is Newark 100% safe? The answer is no, however, the idea that you have to be scared while on campus is simply garbage.

The campus also has many students outside quite late at night so it is not empty where you are the only person walking.

king3780

Postby king3780 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:44 pm

rw2188 wrote:
aidez-moi wrote:

just a thought...

But that's just me.

The bolded is patently false. If you're at school by 10:30 a.m. you can still get a great parking spot, by 11 am you're starting to push your luck. At 8:30 a.m. you can get one of the first non-resident spots available in the garages. One of the garages doesn't even open up until 8:30 a.m., so how can all the spots be taken by the undergrads?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”