Rutgers-Newark Class of 2014 (First Acceptances are in)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
NJcollegestudent
Posts: 490
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:12 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2014 (First Acceptances are in)

Postby NJcollegestudent » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:53 pm

I would like to note the general area of the campus and the housing.

For those who are considering housing, there are two areas for you on campus, Talbott and USquare. The woodward dorms are for freshman only i believe.

Housing is from what i heard nice and you are walking distance of many great eateries, including subway, Danny's and the best pizza in Newark, Robert's Pizzeria.

The law building is quite nice as it is relatively new and again is shared between the school of criminal justice, the undergraduate school of arts and science and the law school.

The inside is also very elegant with five floors, and the main courtroom on the first floor. The admissions office is on the second floor and the offices with the computing lab are on the third floor, as well as the fourth floor.

In addition, the mass transit commuting option is really excellent, as we are in a good location from Penn Station and Board Street Station.

You can take NJ transit, the PATH and the Newark Light Rail from the campus, and there are shuttles after 4pm to take you to Penn Station. For those in the Kearney and Harrison area, you have a shuttle to take you there most of the day.

If you need any more information about the campus or area, just post it. I have to stress the area is very nice and safe and the student body is just as such, so there should be nothing but friendly faces for you to interact with. We, as the undergraduate students, are also very cordial with the law students as well.



For me, i was defered from the school and am waiting until the middle of the month until sending in my deposit to another school.

I wish you all the best of luck and do hope to see you next year, and for those who are applying i hope you receive admissions as well.

User avatar
Justathought
Posts: 977
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:16 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2014 (First Acceptances are in)

Postby Justathought » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:56 pm

NJcollegestudent wrote:I would like to note the general area of the campus and the housing.

For those who are considering housing, there are two areas for you on campus, Talbott and USquare. The woodward dorms are for freshman only i believe.

Housing is from what i heard nice and you are walking distance of many great eateries, including subway, Danny's and the best pizza in Newark, Robert's Pizzeria.

The law building is quite nice as it is relatively new and again is shared between the school of criminal justice, the undergraduate school of arts and science and the law school.

The inside is also very elegant with five floors, and the main courtroom on the first floor. The admissions office is on the second floor and the offices with the computing lab are on the third floor, as well as the fourth floor.

In addition, the mass transit commuting option is really excellent, as we are in a good location from Penn Station and Board Street Station.

You can take NJ transit, the PATH and the Newark Light Rail from the campus, and there are shuttles after 4pm to take you to Penn Station. For those in the Kearney and Harrison area, you have a shuttle to take you there most of the day.

If you need any more information about the campus or area, just post it. I have to stress the area is very nice and safe and the student body is just as such, so there should be nothing but friendly faces for you to interact with. We, as the undergraduate students, are also very cordial with the law students as well.



For me, i was defered from the school and am waiting until the middle of the month until sending in my deposit to another school.

I wish you all the best of luck and do hope to see you next year, and for those who are applying i hope you receive admissions as well.


Oh glad you stopped by. I'm coming tomorrow, but I may as well ask - how is the library? I'll be spending a lot of time there. Also, how are the classrooms and moot courtroom?

Edit: Also, good luck with the deferral. For a sec my reading comp failed and I thought you were a current student at the law school. If Rutgers is your top choice I really wish you all the best. Your GPA is amazing and your ties to the university are obviously strong; I like your chances.

User avatar
Justathought
Posts: 977
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:16 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2014 (First Acceptances are in)

Postby Justathought » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:07 pm

One more question. Again, this is something I'll find out tomorrow, but I may as well ask. With undergraduates in the building, does it still feel like place for graduate students? i.e. is it quiet where it needs to be quiet? Is it overly congested? Is it well maintained and clean? Does it feel like a law school?! :wink:

NJcollegestudent
Posts: 490
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:12 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2014 (First Acceptances are in)

Postby NJcollegestudent » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:09 pm

I cannot speak for the classrooms as my undergraduate classes were not in that building.

The library is quite large, as it takes up i believe three floors. There is ample room to study with many desks and comfortable sofa seats by the large windows at each end.

In addition, you can reserve a private study room that is in a long corridor on the second floor. The selection is extensive in terms of materials, however, a law student would be better able to tell you.

You can eat and drink in the library so that should help with the studying when you are doing the outlining. In addition, you have lamps at all the long tables and electrical outlets for the net-books and laptops.

The computers are located on the third floor, and they are by all accounts mostly empty as law students use their net-books and laptops.

You can also sit in the reference side of the library as well, or outside by the plants and that is another area for reading.

As for the capacity, the library is not that full during the daytime, as you have a mix of students doing their work.

In addition you can sit on the bottom floor by the rooms and eat and read on those tables.

Lastly, there are also many student benches outside so you could take a stroll and have a slice while studying outside.


I hope you find your visit to be enjoyable and really do take the time to walk around Newark. It really is a beautiful place and there is so much to explore.

NJcollegestudent
Posts: 490
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:12 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2014 (First Acceptances are in)

Postby NJcollegestudent » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:14 pm

Justathought wrote:One more question. Again, this is something I'll find out tomorrow, but I may as well ask. With undergraduates in the building, does it still feel like place for graduate students? i.e. is it quiet where it needs to be quiet? Is it overly congested? Is it well maintained and clean? Does it feel like a law school?! :wink:



We are typically very quiet in the library, you cannot really tell who is a graduate student and not.

The library is again not that packed, as most undergraduates do not come here, rather they are at Dana Library.

The law building is kept clean, and the bathrooms are as well in the morning. As is with any public building, in the afternoon the bathrooms might have been used, however, they are quite nice.

I have always had enough space and time to get my work done in the library, as most people are focused in on their work, so noise is kept at a minimum.


Also, stop by the front desk and let them know you are visiting, as they do ask for ID as you enter the building.

The nice lady knows you after a few times so you have to show id initially, and when the police are there as well checking.


Also, if you are hungry for pizza i do recommend Robert's Pizzeria just across the street. For $2.00 you get a slice that literally cannot fit on the plate, and the food is great.

User avatar
Justathought
Posts: 977
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:16 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2014 (First Acceptances are in)

Postby Justathought » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:15 pm

NJcollegestudent wrote:
Justathought wrote:One more question. Again, this is something I'll find out tomorrow, but I may as well ask. With undergraduates in the building, does it still feel like place for graduate students? i.e. is it quiet where it needs to be quiet? Is it overly congested? Is it well maintained and clean? Does it feel like a law school?! :wink:



We are typically very quiet in the library, you cannot really tell who is a graduate student and not.

The library is again not that packed, as most undergraduates do not come here, rather they are at Dana Library.

The law building is kept clean, and the bathrooms are as well in the morning. As is with any public building, in the afternoon the bathrooms might have been used, however, they are quite nice.

I have always had enough space and time to get my work done in the library, as most people are focused in on their work, so noise is kept at a minimum.


Also, stop by the front desk and let them know you are visiting, as they do ask for ID as you enter the building.

The nice lady knows you after a few times so you have to show id initially, and when the police are there as well checking.


Also, if you are hungry for pizza i do recommend Robert's Pizzeria just across the street. For $2.00 you get a slice that literally cannot fit on the plate, and the food is great.


Thanks so much for all the information!

NJcollegestudent
Posts: 490
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:12 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2014 (First Acceptances are in)

Postby NJcollegestudent » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:19 pm

Justathought wrote:
NJcollegestudent wrote:I would like to note the general area of the campus and the housing.

For those who are considering housing, there are two areas for you on campus, Talbott and USquare. The woodward dorms are for freshman only i believe.

Housing is from what i heard nice and you are walking distance of many great eateries, including subway, Danny's and the best pizza in Newark, Robert's Pizzeria.

The law building is quite nice as it is relatively new and again is shared between the school of criminal justice, the undergraduate school of arts and science and the law school.

The inside is also very elegant with five floors, and the main courtroom on the first floor. The admissions office is on the second floor and the offices with the computing lab are on the third floor, as well as the fourth floor.

In addition, the mass transit commuting option is really excellent, as we are in a good location from Penn Station and Board Street Station.

You can take NJ transit, the PATH and the Newark Light Rail from the campus, and there are shuttles after 4pm to take you to Penn Station. For those in the Kearney and Harrison area, you have a shuttle to take you there most of the day.

If you need any more information about the campus or area, just post it. I have to stress the area is very nice and safe and the student body is just as such, so there should be nothing but friendly faces for you to interact with. We, as the undergraduate students, are also very cordial with the law students as well.



For me, i was defered from the school and am waiting until the middle of the month until sending in my deposit to another school.

I wish you all the best of luck and do hope to see you next year, and for those who are applying i hope you receive admissions as well.


Oh glad you stopped by. I'm coming tomorrow, but I may as well ask - how is the library? I'll be spending a lot of time there. Also, how are the classrooms and moot courtroom?

Edit: Also, good luck with the deferral. For a sec my reading comp failed and I thought you were a current student at the law school. If Rutgers is your top choice I really wish you all the best. Your GPA is amazing and your ties to the university are obviously strong; I like your chances.



I am currently a senior at the undergraduate campus right across the street. I literally bleed Rutgers pride, so i happen to be very happy when anyone is visiting our small campus as it shows that people do value a smaller more community based school.

I have been visiting the law school for studying and general acclimation to the school for the past three years so that i could be ready to attend should i be accepted.

I do have a dilemma now, i have a full scholarship to Widener Law School and they need a response by April 1, 2011. While i love Rutgers-Newark and will always do so, i know that a full scholarship and a legal education for almost no cost above $20,000 is something that you cannot pass up. I do hope Rutgers-Newark notifies me about a decision in the next few weeks so i have a choice to make between two acceptances, one acceptance or rejection, or a waitlist.

Thank you for the kind words and warm wishes. I will probably not see any of the admitted students tomorrow as i do not have classes on Fridays, however, i know their staff is very helpful.

NJcollegestudent
Posts: 490
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:12 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2014 (First Acceptances are in)

Postby NJcollegestudent » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:23 pm

lawfreak wrote:I heard from a friend that anti-semitism is a real serious problem at Rutgers. At first I thought this was just an exaggeration. That was until I was shocked to see the results that came up when I googled it.

Does anyone here know how bad it really is over there? Is it really a problem?



I do not see any anti-semitism on our campus. We do have a new department/major on middle eastern studies, however, the students are very civil to one another in these discussions.

We are the most diverse campus in America actually, so there really is not any tolerance by the student body or the faculty for any ethnocentrism.

NJcollegestudent
Posts: 490
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:12 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2014 (First Acceptances are in)

Postby NJcollegestudent » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:24 pm

Also, to American in Manchuria, i noticed you were accepted. I want to congratulate you on the acceptance and the scholarship.

deltasigbn
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:58 am

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2014 (First Acceptances are in)

Postby deltasigbn » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:32 am

.
Last edited by deltasigbn on Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
king3780
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:12 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2014 (First Acceptances are in)

Postby king3780 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:49 am

To the guy going on the tour tomorrow: there will be hardly anybody in the building so taking pictures probably wouldn't be a big deal. Honestly, I wouldn't care if I saw someone on a tour taking pictures.

NJcollegestudent: Contrary to your report, it is often quite obvious who the undergrad students are. Overall you guys do alright, but inevitably whenever someone decides to carry on a five minute conversation in a quiet study area and I look over they've got a finance or psychology or chemistry textbook.

User avatar
Justathought
Posts: 977
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:16 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2014 (First Acceptances are in)

Postby Justathought » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:51 pm

Posted the pics from my visit this morning. Hope you enjoy them, the school was indeed pretty awesome.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=120572&p=4084077#p4084077

simonmulletxcore
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:33 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2014 (First Acceptances are in)

Postby simonmulletxcore » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:41 pm

Justathought wrote:Posted the pics from my visit this morning. Hope you enjoy them, the school was indeed pretty awesome.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=120572&p=4084077#p4084077


Yay! Thanks for these!

User avatar
Justathought
Posts: 977
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:16 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2014 (First Acceptances are in)

Postby Justathought » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:40 pm

simonmulletxcore wrote:
Justathought wrote:Posted the pics from my visit this morning. Hope you enjoy them, the school was indeed pretty awesome.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=120572&p=4084077#p4084077


Yay! Thanks for these!


Yep, no problem.

Here are some additional thoughts from the tour:

About 12 people showed up. More than I thought would be there. We had a 2L tour guide, she chose Rutgers over the University of Maryland and said she was very happy with her choice. Originally she wanted to work for a law firm, and got a job at a NJ firm for her 1L summer via the MSP program. She said most students did find some type of 1L summer work. However, now she is leaning toward a career in criminal prosecution, and has a job lined up for 2L summer with a NJ DA office.

She mentioned the school was very competitive, with many people spending 8+ hours a day on school work, but that it is a friendly environment and not cutthroat. That seems to be what every school says though. :wink: As for OCI, she said lots of firms from NY and NJ do come there, and it is for more than merely resume collection. Since Rutgers only has a small class, Dean Walton said it is not that hard to find placement for almost everyone, and that the school does have a very strong record of employment. However, the best jobs will of course go to those with high GPAs (Rutgers doesn't rank students until graduation), and since it is so competitive, those jobs are tough to get. Also, it was mentioned that the diversity of Rutgers Law draws in employers looking to add diversity to their workplace.

It was relatively quiet there today, as only 1Ls have classes on Fridays. The administration was candid about the high crime in Newark. There are like 3 parking decks for students, and it was recommended that you drive if possible. The area around the school seemed very safe, but there are muggings that occur at or near the train station, especially after dark, including one student last year.

Overall I was very pleased with the school. My concern would be getting back to NYC if I am not at the top of my class, as the school does seem to rely on its NJ connections for a significant amount of employment opportunities. However, it looks like with enough legwork, one should stand a solid chance.

I'll probably be there in August.

NJcollegestudent
Posts: 490
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:12 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2014 (First Acceptances are in)

Postby NJcollegestudent » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:15 pm

I knew you would enjoy the area and the campus. I hope you do well and continue to do well in all your work.

For other admitted students, i would say visit Newark before making a choice, it could really make a difference.

The random shot of Newark you have on the tour is the view from many of the undergraduate buildings as well.

In addition, you must have have seen the prudential building, which you can see from any place on campus.

I would also advise you to visit on a clear day and it really would show you the campus in an another fashion in terms of outwards appearance.

simonmulletxcore
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:33 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2014 (First Acceptances are in)

Postby simonmulletxcore » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:54 pm

Justathought wrote:
simonmulletxcore wrote:
Justathought wrote:Posted the pics from my visit this morning. Hope you enjoy them, the school was indeed pretty awesome.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=120572&p=4084077#p4084077


Yay! Thanks for these!


Yep, no problem.

Here are some additional thoughts from the tour:

About 12 people showed up. More than I thought would be there. We had a 2L tour guide, she chose Rutgers over the University of Maryland and said she was very happy with her choice. Originally she wanted to work for a law firm, and got a job at a NJ firm for her 1L summer via the MSP program. She said most students did find some type of 1L summer work. However, now she is leaning toward a career in criminal prosecution, and has a job lined up for 2L summer with a NJ DA office.

She mentioned the school was very competitive, with many people spending 8+ hours a day on school work, but that it is a friendly environment and not cutthroat. That seems to be what every school says though. :wink: As for OCI, she said lots of firms from NY and NJ do come there, and it is for more than merely resume collection. Since Rutgers only has a small class, Dean Walton said it is not that hard to find placement for almost everyone, and that the school does have a very strong record of employment. However, the best jobs will of course go to those with high GPAs (Rutgers doesn't rank students until graduation), and since it is so competitive, those jobs are tough to get. Also, it was mentioned that the diversity of Rutgers Law draws in employers looking to add diversity to their workplace.

It was relatively quiet there today, as only 1Ls have classes on Fridays. The administration was candid about the high crime in Newark. There are like 3 parking decks for students, and it was recommended that you drive if possible. The area around the school seemed very safe, but there are muggings that occur at or near the train station, especially after dark, including one student last year.

Overall I was very pleased with the school. My concern would be getting back to NYC if I am not at the top of my class, as the school does seem to rely on its NJ connections for a significant amount of employment opportunities. However, it looks like with enough legwork, one should stand a solid chance.

I'll probably be there in August.


Thanks for the info! That helps a lot. I'm pretty sure I'll be there in August as well unless other schools offer me money but I want to work and stay in NJ so Rutgers seems like the best choice for me no matter what and I'm really excited about Newark. I've always loved it there and have never had any trouble in the area. It's nice to hear that students are able to find work during their summers as well.

User avatar
Justathought
Posts: 977
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:16 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2014 (First Acceptances are in)

Postby Justathought » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:58 pm

NJcollegestudent wrote:I knew you would enjoy the area and the campus. I hope you do well and continue to do well in all your work.

For other admitted students, i would say visit Newark before making a choice, it could really make a difference.

The random shot of Newark you have on the tour is the view from many of the undergraduate buildings as well.

In addition, you must have have seen the prudential building, which you can see from any place on campus.

I would also advise you to visit on a clear day and it really would show you the campus in an another fashion in terms of outwards appearance.


Thanks NJcollegestudent. I agree with your recommendation to visit, the school is even more impressive in person. I wish I had taken more shots, there was so much to see.

Also, there are windows just about everywhere, on a day like today you don't mind being inside, but I bet come spring people are dying to get outside and enjoy the weather because of that fact.

User avatar
Justathought
Posts: 977
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:16 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2014 (First Acceptances are in)

Postby Justathought » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:59 pm

simonmulletxcore wrote:
Justathought wrote:
simonmulletxcore wrote:
Justathought wrote:Posted the pics from my visit this morning. Hope you enjoy them, the school was indeed pretty awesome.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=120572&p=4084077#p4084077


Yay! Thanks for these!


Yep, no problem.

Here are some additional thoughts from the tour:

About 12 people showed up. More than I thought would be there. We had a 2L tour guide, she chose Rutgers over the University of Maryland and said she was very happy with her choice. Originally she wanted to work for a law firm, and got a job at a NJ firm for her 1L summer via the MSP program. She said most students did find some type of 1L summer work. However, now she is leaning toward a career in criminal prosecution, and has a job lined up for 2L summer with a NJ DA office.

She mentioned the school was very competitive, with many people spending 8+ hours a day on school work, but that it is a friendly environment and not cutthroat. That seems to be what every school says though. :wink: As for OCI, she said lots of firms from NY and NJ do come there, and it is for more than merely resume collection. Since Rutgers only has a small class, Dean Walton said it is not that hard to find placement for almost everyone, and that the school does have a very strong record of employment. However, the best jobs will of course go to those with high GPAs (Rutgers doesn't rank students until graduation), and since it is so competitive, those jobs are tough to get. Also, it was mentioned that the diversity of Rutgers Law draws in employers looking to add diversity to their workplace.

It was relatively quiet there today, as only 1Ls have classes on Fridays. The administration was candid about the high crime in Newark. There are like 3 parking decks for students, and it was recommended that you drive if possible. The area around the school seemed very safe, but there are muggings that occur at or near the train station, especially after dark, including one student last year.

Overall I was very pleased with the school. My concern would be getting back to NYC if I am not at the top of my class, as the school does seem to rely on its NJ connections for a significant amount of employment opportunities. However, it looks like with enough legwork, one should stand a solid chance.

I'll probably be there in August.


Thanks for the info! That helps a lot. I'm pretty sure I'll be there in August as well unless other schools offer me money but I want to work and stay in NJ so Rutgers seems like the best choice for me no matter what and I'm really excited about Newark. I've always loved it there and have never had any trouble in the area. It's nice to hear that students are able to find work during their summers as well.


Glad to help!

AmericaninManchuria
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:19 am

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2014 (First Acceptances are in)

Postby AmericaninManchuria » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:23 am

NJcollegestudent,

thanks so much and thanks for your advice along the way. It has been a long road for all of us! I really wish you the best with your law school experience. Good luck with Rutgers, and whatever the cards hold, I'm sure there's a plan for you...and that it unfolds in success!

AmericaninManchuria
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:19 am

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2014 (First Acceptances are in)

Postby AmericaninManchuria » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:40 am

I have a question about the 2L tour guide's comment about the 8+ hours of studying per day...I'm always curious when I hear that, if numbers like that represent out of classroom study hours...and secondly how they fit that much time into a day... I'm totally aware of the dedication law school will require, but I always wonder if people are embellishing with those numbers. My fiance studies that much during breaks and on weekends, but during the week in addition to the school day?

Let's say you get home at 4:30 and hit the books...calculate an hour in for dinner and all bathroom breaks or teeth brushing, and 9 hours later that puts you at 1:30am. Assuming you fall immediately asleep and wake up at 7:30 (which probably woudn't be enough time for a commuter) you just got 6 hours of sleep...then youre going to be in class all day and do it again after school....for four months? Is that sustainable? Effective? I want to meet the person that can really pull that off.

My goal is going to be a quality 4 hours after school and 8 hours on weekends...

What do you all think?

User avatar
Justathought
Posts: 977
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:16 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2014 (First Acceptances are in)

Postby Justathought » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:26 am

AmericaninManchuria wrote:I have a question about the 2L tour guide's comment about the 8+ hours of studying per day...I'm always curious when I hear that, if numbers like that represent out of classroom study hours...and secondly how they fit that much time into a day... I'm totally aware of the dedication law school will require, but I always wonder if people are embellishing with those numbers. My fiance studies that much during breaks and on weekends, but during the week in addition to the school day?

Let's say you get home at 4:30 and hit the books...calculate an hour in for dinner and all bathroom breaks or teeth brushing, and 9 hours later that puts you at 1:30am. Assuming you fall immediately asleep and wake up at 7:30 (which probably woudn't be enough time for a commuter) you just got 6 hours of sleep...then youre going to be in class all day and do it again after school....for four months? Is that sustainable? Effective? I want to meet the person that can really pull that off.

My goal is going to be a quality 4 hours after school and 8 hours on weekends...

What do you all think?


Well your schedule sounds horrible, but conceivable. I think what she meant was 4 hours in class and 4+ hours studying per day. I personally couldn't go to sleep at 1:30 am every night for 4 months straight. I was thinking my schedule, on an average day before finals season, would be something like this:

5:00am - wake up
5:30 - Gym
7:00 - Shower get dressed
7:30 - Out the door
8:15 - Get to campus
8:30 - Start the day.
Morning classes and studying till 30 min lunch break.
Afternoon classes and studying till dinner.
5:30 - Dinner.
6:00 - Evening studying.
8:00 - Head home.
8:30 - Relax and maybe a little more studying.
10:30 - bed.

On average my plan is to spend about 9-10 hours a day on school related activities. Hopefully that should be enough to do well; I think that's more than enough time per day to excel if you have a good grasp of the concepts being discussed in class.

User avatar
king3780
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:12 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2014 (First Acceptances are in)

Postby king3780 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:32 am

AmericaninManchuria wrote:I have a question about the 2L tour guide's comment about the 8+ hours of studying per day...I'm always curious when I hear that, if numbers like that represent out of classroom study hours...and secondly how they fit that much time into a day... I'm totally aware of the dedication law school will require, but I always wonder if people are embellishing with those numbers. My fiance studies that much during breaks and on weekends, but during the week in addition to the school day?

Let's say you get home at 4:30 and hit the books...calculate an hour in for dinner and all bathroom breaks or teeth brushing, and 9 hours later that puts you at 1:30am. Assuming you fall immediately asleep and wake up at 7:30 (which probably woudn't be enough time for a commuter) you just got 6 hours of sleep...then youre going to be in class all day and do it again after school....for four months? Is that sustainable? Effective? I want to meet the person that can really pull that off.

My goal is going to be a quality 4 hours after school and 8 hours on weekends...

What do you all think?


Current Rutgers-Newark 2L here, but not the one from the tour guide. As far as the 8+ hours of studying, the original commenter said "many people spending 8+ hours a day on school work." That's a bit nebulous and could easily include time spent in class. It's hard to say exactly what the study habits of my colleagues are b/c most people don't talk a lot about it and it seems like the vast majority of people study at home because there are usually not that many people in the library. Also, time spent on school work is not necessarily "studying" even when it's done outside of the class. For many 2Ls and 3Ls here, way more time is spent in journals, moot court, research assistant work, etc. Also, it's rare (for me at least) to do studying solely at night in one big block. For example, on Mondays I have three classes: 1:05-2:20, 3:55-5:50 and 6-7:30. If I get to school by 9 am, I get four hours of studying before class and an hour and a half in between classes. Then Tuesday I have one class for an hour and 15 mins, so I can put in a 9-5 hour day and get almost 7 hours of studying in.

User avatar
Justathought
Posts: 977
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:16 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2014 (First Acceptances are in)

Postby Justathought » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:34 am

king3780 wrote:
AmericaninManchuria wrote:I have a question about the 2L tour guide's comment about the 8+ hours of studying per day...I'm always curious when I hear that, if numbers like that represent out of classroom study hours...and secondly how they fit that much time into a day... I'm totally aware of the dedication law school will require, but I always wonder if people are embellishing with those numbers. My fiance studies that much during breaks and on weekends, but during the week in addition to the school day?

Let's say you get home at 4:30 and hit the books...calculate an hour in for dinner and all bathroom breaks or teeth brushing, and 9 hours later that puts you at 1:30am. Assuming you fall immediately asleep and wake up at 7:30 (which probably woudn't be enough time for a commuter) you just got 6 hours of sleep...then youre going to be in class all day and do it again after school....for four months? Is that sustainable? Effective? I want to meet the person that can really pull that off.

My goal is going to be a quality 4 hours after school and 8 hours on weekends...

What do you all think?


Current Rutgers-Newark 2L here, but not the one from the tour guide. As far as the 8+ hours of studying, the original commenter said "many people spending 8+ hours a day on school work." That's a bit nebulous and could easily include time spent in class. It's hard to say exactly what the study habits of my colleagues are b/c most people don't talk a lot about it and it seems like the vast majority of people study at home because there are usually not that many people in the library. Also, time spent on school work is not necessarily "studying" even when it's done outside of the class. For many 2Ls and 3Ls here, way more time is spent in journals, moot court, research assistant work, etc. Also, it's rare (for me at least) to do studying solely at night in one big block. For example, on Mondays I have three classes: 1:05-2:20, 3:55-5:50 and 6-7:30. If I get to school by 9 am, I get four hours of studying before class and an hour and a half in between classes. Then Tuesday I have one class for an hour and 15 mins, so I can put in a 9-5 hour day and get almost 7 hours of studying in.


King, look at my last post. Reasonable plan for success 1L, or do I need more?! :P

User avatar
king3780
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:12 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2014 (First Acceptances are in)

Postby king3780 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:45 am

Justathought wrote:
king3780 wrote:
AmericaninManchuria wrote:I have a question about the 2L tour guide's comment about the 8+ hours of studying per day...I'm always curious when I hear that, if numbers like that represent out of classroom study hours...and secondly how they fit that much time into a day... I'm totally aware of the dedication law school will require, but I always wonder if people are embellishing with those numbers. My fiance studies that much during breaks and on weekends, but during the week in addition to the school day?

Let's say you get home at 4:30 and hit the books...calculate an hour in for dinner and all bathroom breaks or teeth brushing, and 9 hours later that puts you at 1:30am. Assuming you fall immediately asleep and wake up at 7:30 (which probably woudn't be enough time for a commuter) you just got 6 hours of sleep...then youre going to be in class all day and do it again after school....for four months? Is that sustainable? Effective? I want to meet the person that can really pull that off.

My goal is going to be a quality 4 hours after school and 8 hours on weekends...

What do you all think?


Current Rutgers-Newark 2L here, but not the one from the tour guide. As far as the 8+ hours of studying, the original commenter said "many people spending 8+ hours a day on school work." That's a bit nebulous and could easily include time spent in class. It's hard to say exactly what the study habits of my colleagues are b/c most people don't talk a lot about it and it seems like the vast majority of people study at home because there are usually not that many people in the library. Also, time spent on school work is not necessarily "studying" even when it's done outside of the class. For many 2Ls and 3Ls here, way more time is spent in journals, moot court, research assistant work, etc. Also, it's rare (for me at least) to do studying solely at night in one big block. For example, on Mondays I have three classes: 1:05-2:20, 3:55-5:50 and 6-7:30. If I get to school by 9 am, I get four hours of studying before class and an hour and a half in between classes. Then Tuesday I have one class for an hour and 15 mins, so I can put in a 9-5 hour day and get almost 7 hours of studying in.


King, look at my last post. Reasonable plan for success 1L, or do I need more?! :P


Looks like more than enough to me. There's a lot of factors that play into study time, though, like how long it takes you to "get" the reading, how much reading profs assign, how long you spend briefing, if you need supplements to explain things or can figure it out from the casebook, etc. I personally couldn't do that schedule as I don't like getting up at 5:30 am, but to each his own. I would give it a whirl and see how you feel about your preparedness and adjust from there. I'm not sure how much reading you've done on here with "how to succeed" guides, but there's no one-size-fits-all approach. In fact, for me at least, my approach and schedule has been altered a bit each semester, depending on the courses, professors, class times, etc.

get it to x
Posts: 218
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:31 am

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2014 (First Acceptances are in)

Postby get it to x » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:15 pm

I'm in agreement. It really comes down to how long it takes you to understand the cases and how much reading the professor assigns. If my memory serves me correctly, Fall semester I was inundated with long reading assignments while the Spring was more bite sized chunks that the professors expected you to know in greater detail. I preferred the spring approach much more than the fall. You really can't avoid being overwhelmed first semester. Some people go home and go to bed early and then wake up at 4 and read for that day's assignments. Others push through it very late at night and then sleep later. Really depends on your work habits and what works.

I think there was a poster who was concerned about NYC employment. I wouldn't say there's a hierarchy that students with high grades get placed in NYC. NYC biglaw yes. Rutgers students find employment in NY from all places in the class. A good chunk want to stay in New Jersey to serve those communities. I can say that it seems to be "slightly" tougher for the average Rutgers student who is based in New Jersey to find New York employment. It seemed like students who were raised in NY or live there now seemed to find employment there slightly easier. I know the judges I interviewed with in NY asked questions about where I was from originally. I don't think they were explicitly targeting New Yorkers but I think they were looking for commonalities and fit. It works in reverse for New York Rutgers students trying to find Jersey positions I imagine.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: exitdoesnotexist, Long shot hero, proteinshake, uhwrestler and 16 guests