Rutgers-Newark Class of 2014 (First Acceptances are in)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
eel7566

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2014 (First Acceptances are in)

Postby eel7566 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:35 pm

Justathought wrote:In today via email. PM for stats if interested.

Also in today via status checker and, hours later, an e-mail.

$10,000 scholarship per year, must maintain a 3.0 GPA

PM me for stats if interested.

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:02 pm

I have to say, I kind of just posted my acceptance in a rather blasé manner. I'm actually very excited about Rutgers, its my best acceptance of the cycle thus far, its affordable, and I love what I've heard about the school.

Yay! :mrgreen:

Let's talk Rutgers, people.
Last edited by Justathought on Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KHM101010

Postby KHM101010 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:09 pm

Congrats to all of you that have been accepted already! I was deferred as of yesterday :(

I'm not sure what else to do besides send in an LOCI. Anyone else deferred??

lic06003

Postby lic06003 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:42 pm

KHM101010 wrote:Congrats to all of you that have been accepted already! I was deferred as of yesterday :(

I'm not sure what else to do besides send in an LOCI. Anyone else deferred??

I got deferred last week :(

Paulzilla

Postby Paulzilla » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:58 pm

Justathought wrote:I have to say, I kind of just posted my acceptance in a rather blasé manner. I'm actually very excited about Rutgers, its my best acceptance of the cycle thus far, its affordable, and I love what I've heard about the school.

Congrats!

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:26 pm

Paulzilla wrote:
Justathought wrote:I have to say, I kind of just posted my acceptance in a rather blasé manner. I'm actually very excited about Rutgers, its my best acceptance of the cycle thus far, its affordable, and I love what I've heard about the school.

Congrats!

Thanks very much. Congrats to you as well; I see you'll be at Rutgers in the fall!

Anyone care to share some thoughts on the facilities, campus, law library, and overall atmosphere of the school? I've heard good things on all fronts, but some personal opinions would be welcome. :)

solarae

Postby solarae » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:32 pm

go over to one of the other forums for this stuff, it will make me too depressed. i'm still waiting for an impending deferral or worse.

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:34 pm

solarae wrote:go over to one of the other forums for this stuff, it will make me too depressed. i'm still waiting for an impending deferral or worse.

I feel your pain. I'm in the same boat with other schools. Even the Harvard guys are sad about Yale.

Lawst

Postby Lawst » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:03 pm

In with 12K merit scholly. :)

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:09 pm

Lawst wrote:In with 12K merit scholly. :)

Congrats! I see you're a non-trad like me. Would you stay in NY or consider making the move to Jersey for in-state tuition? I ask because with in state your scholarship from Newark makes the price about even with your St. John's offer.

I haven't heard from St. John's yet, but the two seem pretty similar with regards to employment prospects. I like the vibe of Newark more though - this coming from a Queens native. :wink:

Lawst

Postby Lawst » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:45 pm

Justathought wrote:

Congrats! I see you're a non-trad like me. Would you stay in NY or consider making the move to Jersey for in-state tuition? I ask because with in state your scholarship from Newark makes the price about even with your St. John's offer.

I haven't heard from St. John's yet, but the two seem pretty similar with regards to employment prospects. I like the vibe of Newark more though - this coming from a Queens native. :wink:

Thanks! If I go to Rutgers, I'd definitely move to Jersey given the tuition difference. But I'd have to pay out-of-state for the first year because it takes a year to establish residency.
I'm still waiting to hear from 10 schools, so I don't know what I'm doing yet. Good luck! :)

NJPharmD2011

Postby NJPharmD2011 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:52 pm

Lawst wrote:
Justathought wrote:

Thanks! If I go to Rutgers, I'd definitely move to Jersey given the tuition difference. But I'd have to pay out-of-state for the first year because it takes a year to establish residency.
I'm still waiting to hear from 10 schools, so I don't know what I'm doing yet. Good luck! :)

As long as you sign a 12-month lease before school starts you get in-state tuition the first year (and every year after that). I'm not sure of the deadline for this but I know a lot of OOS students who got in-state tuition this way. It doesn't work though if you are staying with family/friends in NJ and are not on the lease.

Lawst

Postby Lawst » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:11 pm

NJPharmD2011 wrote:
Lawst wrote:
Justathought wrote:

As long as you sign a 12-month lease before school starts you get in-state tuition the first year (and every year after that). I'm not sure of the deadline for this but I know a lot of OOS students who got in-state tuition this way. It doesn't work though if you are staying with family/friends in NJ and are not on the lease.

Oh, that is good to know! Thanks!

eel7566

Postby eel7566 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:16 pm

This is funny because I just got into Rutgers and I too am waiting to hear back from St. John's. If I get in, I would be heavily leaning towards St. John's to live the NYC life.

One man's trash... :D

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:27 pm

eel7566 wrote:

This is funny because I just got into Rutgers and I too am waiting to hear back from St. John's. If I get in, I would be heavily leaning towards St. John's to live the NYC life.

I truly believe you would live more of the NYC life if you lived in Hoboken NJ, as opposed to Queens. I live in a very nice section of Queens (there are a few of them), but its very residential. It has a suburban feel, but not city-like at all. Now, places like Long Island City and Astoria are good for that city vibe and proximity to Manhattan, but they are far from the law school - 15 minutes by car with absolutely no traffic, and a long time if there is traffic. Its tough to have a car in those areas too. If you live in Bayside, like I do, you can have a car. However, its more expensive and 20 minutes from Manhattan. About 15 minutes to St. John's coming from the other side of Queens.

I bring up the notion of a car a lot because getting to St. John's is tough without one. There are buses but no close by subways, and commuting from Manhattan or one of those trendy Queens neighborhoods is going to be a pain in the neck, though it can be done. Figure at least 45 minutes by public transportation, door to door. Though not a bad neighborhood, St. John's is located in the middle of no mans land. Not close to Manhattan, not close to the cool parts of Queens, not close to good public transportation. Its residential, feels more like Long Island than NYC.

On the other hand we have Hoboken, NJ - the place where many Rutgers students commute from. Its close to the school and Manhattan. With around a 20 minute commute via public transportation to either destination. No need to drive everyday. Couple that with the feel of Hoboken, which is akin to one of those hip young professional areas in Brooklyn and Queens. In fact, its more upscale than the Queens options and Williamsburg in Brooklyn.

Anyway that's my perspective, hope it provided some insight if you are not from the area.

champ33

Postby champ33 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:58 pm

Justathought wrote:
eel7566 wrote:

I truly believe you would live more of the NYC life if you lived in Hoboken NJ, as opposed to Queens. I live in a very nice section of Queens (there are a few of them), but its very residential. It has a suburban feel, but not city-like at all. Now, places like Long Island City and Astoria are good for that city vibe and proximity to Manhattan, but they are far from the law school - 15 minutes by car with absolutely no traffic, and a long time if there is traffic. Its tough to have a car in those areas too. If you live in Bayside, like I do, you can have a car. However, its more expensive and 20 minutes from Manhattan. About 15 minutes to St. John's coming from the other side of Queens.

I bring up the notion of a car a lot because getting to St. John's is tough without one. There are buses but no close by subways, and commuting from Manhattan or one of those trendy Queens neighborhoods is going to be a pain in the neck, though it can be done. Figure at least 45 minutes by public transportation, door to door. Though not a bad neighborhood, St. John's is located in the middle of no mans land. Not close to Manhattan, not close to the cool parts of Queens, not close to good public transportation. Its residential, feels more like Long Island than NYC.

On the other hand we have Hoboken, NJ - the place where many Rutgers students commute from. Its close to the school and Manhattan. With around a 20 minute commute via public transportation to either destination. No need to drive everyday. Couple that with the feel of Hoboken, which is akin to one of those hip young professional areas in Brooklyn and Queens. In fact, its more upscale than the Queens options and Williamsburg in Brooklyn.

Anyway that's my perspective, hope it provided some insight if you are not from the area.

I've lived 20 minutes from St. John's my entire life, spent a lot of time in all the areas mentioned, and the above is all very accurate.

eel7566

Postby eel7566 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:02 am

Thanks very much for that, this was definitely good information for me to have.

I live in Florida but have dreamed of living in NYC for as long as I can remember. Law school appears to be the time to make the move, but I will definitely have lots of things to consider in the next few months. Thanks again.

aidez-moi

Postby aidez-moi » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:15 am

eel7566 wrote:

Thanks very much for that, this was definitely good information for me to have.

I live in Florida but have dreamed of living in NYC for as long as I can remember. Law school appears to be the time to make the move, but I will definitely have lots of things to consider in the next few months. Thanks again.

Justathought has it exactly right. There are parts of Queens that are fun and booming (sort of like a more neighborhoody new york experience) but St. John's is not in one of those parts. You would have to commute either by personal car or bus, and you would be fairly far from Manhattan.

That being said, the rent there is going to be a lot cheaper than on the island. (Even in Hoboken prices can quickly reach those of the LES.)

Either way, DEFINITELY visit so you can get a better feel of the area. Good luck!

URMdan

Postby URMdan » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:21 am

Justathought wrote:
eel7566 wrote:

Wow, I can't believe you just compared 'Boken to NYC.

lawuntoherself

Postby lawuntoherself » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:51 pm

congratulations

lic06003

Postby lic06003 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:31 am

hi,
does anybody know if it is easy to get off the deferred list? thanks.

lawfreak

Postby lawfreak » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:54 pm

Is it still possible for me to get in if I apply today with a 158/3.95 to either full or part-time? Also, how easy is it easy to get in-state status for tuition if you're coming from another state? How would I go about doing that?

Thanks

champ33

Postby champ33 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:16 pm

It's extremely easy to get in-state tuition, you just need to live in campus housing or sign a lease in Jersey before classes start. I have no idea what your acceptance chances will be this late in the cycle.

lawfreak

Postby lawfreak » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:26 pm

can you get in-state tuition if you live by relative?

champ33

Postby champ33 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:33 pm

lawfreak wrote:can you get in-state tuition if you live by relative?

Not sure but I wouldn't be surprised. I'd e-mail Dean Walton.. she has all the answers and is very quick to respond.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”