Rutgers-Newark Class of 2014 (First Acceptances are in)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
aidez-moi

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2014 (First Acceptances are in)

Postby aidez-moi » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:10 pm

Is this the third time scribblehead has created a new account?

Damn you're committed.

RAB

Postby RAB » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:12 pm

On the first page of the app it asks if you're latino/hispanic and I thought the questions under it were to be answered if you selected yes. However, I'm pretty sure that I should have checked off white/caucasian, even though it says "please check ALSO all of the following the apply"...correct? Should I e-mail them?

LadyG

Postby LadyG » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:42 am

scribble/bearkmarket:

I am assuming you regret going to law school. It is never too late to have a career change, take the bull by the horns and open that coffee shop you have dreamed of since childhood! We're behind you!

In the meantime, your posts are not discouraging as you may intend them to be. Please take a back seat and let the rest of us enjoy some light conversation with one another while we await responses from the committees. Everyone is aware of the job market, the economy, etc, so just relax and focus on a better year.

BrownBears09

Postby BrownBears09 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:42 am

aidez-moi wrote:Is this the third time scribblehead has created a new account?

Damn you're committed.

He should have been this committed IRL.

lawschool12345

Postby lawschool12345 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:17 pm

Held today with a 158 and 3.65...

LadyG

Postby LadyG » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:08 pm

lawschool12345 wrote:Held today with a 158 and 3.65...

May I ask when you went complete?

lawschool12345

Postby lawschool12345 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:41 pm

I'm pretty sure 1 10 not sure I'm at work but definitely around that time

LadyG

Postby LadyG » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:26 pm

I went a month before that and still haven't heard back. Frustrating.

Everything I read online thus far for being held, though, seemed to yield positive results if the applicant followed up with the school. So that is good...

Paulzilla

Postby Paulzilla » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:14 pm

BrownBears09 wrote:
aidez-moi wrote:Is this the third time scribblehead has created a new account?

Damn you're committed.

He should have been this committed IRL.

+1 i laughed out loud.

rw2188

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2014

Postby rw2188 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:03 pm

NJcollegestudent wrote:To the 1 L student, i am an undergraduate at Rutgers-Newark right now and i have seen your clinics in the courts. When are we allowed to participate in these clinics, as 2L's or 3L's?

In addition, do you use Webreg to register for law classes, or another system.

Yes, you can join the clinics after your first year. If I am not mistaken, you can even start the summer between 1L and 2L.
There are a couple of different systems we use to register, but you wont be bothered w/ that until your second semester. The first semester things are taken care of for you- all you have to do is accept, pay your bill, get your books and show up to orientation

rw2188

Postby rw2188 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:09 pm

Paulzilla wrote:
rw2188 wrote:Hey All,

I am a 1L day student and am here to answer any questions you might have!

Could you talk about life in Newark, and just overall how you feel about the law school?

-Three points I want to make about this great place:
1. Speaking for myself, I have NEVER felt intimidated in class to raise my hand and speak my mind. The administration really tries to cultivate among the students a sense of 'challenge what you're taught', and to question what you read-- it will make you a stronger student and will help you grasp the material better.
2. There is a great atmosphere between the people in my class and the upper classmen. When school starts, upper classmen are always offering advice, giving you an outline they have or trying to put you in touch with someone that had the professor you're having. Between the 1Ls- there is never a sense of "cut throat" tension among the students. Just be friendly, and you'll make lots of friends. Everyone shares and is happy to do so.
3. I am really happy here-- the student body is YOUNG but very diverse. I feel like I am one of a kind but at the same time mesh really well with the other students. When you're at law school, its hard to talk about anything but. People here come from all over and are really interesting!

Paulzilla

Postby Paulzilla » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:24 am

rw2188 wrote:-Three points I want to make about this great place:
1. Speaking for myself, I have NEVER felt intimidated in class to raise my hand and speak my mind. The administration really tries to cultivate among the students a sense of 'challenge what you're taught', and to question what you read-- it will make you a stronger student and will help you grasp the material better.
2. There is a great atmosphere between the people in my class and the upper classmen. When school starts, upper classmen are always offering advice, giving you an outline they have or trying to put you in touch with someone that had the professor you're having. Between the 1Ls- there is never a sense of "cut throat" tension among the students. Just be friendly, and you'll make lots of friends. Everyone shares and is happy to do so.
3. I am really happy here-- the student body is YOUNG but very diverse. I feel like I am one of a kind but at the same time mesh really well with the other students. When you're at law school, its hard to talk about anything but. People here come from all over and are really interesting!

Thanks, I appreciate your perspective. Could you talk about your housing situation? (Do you commute, live on campus, etc.)

Thanks again!

rw2188

Postby rw2188 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:11 am

Paulzilla wrote:
rw2188 wrote:Thanks, I appreciate your perspective. Could you talk about your housing situation? (Do you commute, live on campus, etc.)

Thanks again!

I actually live in downtown Jersey City, by the Goldman Sachs tower. Because I am not a NJ resident, Rutgers cut me a deal (unsure if they still offer it): if you sign a 1 year lease in NJ then you get the in-state tuition. I chose to live here because its 1/2way between Manhattan and Newark. I commute using the PATH train into Newark Penn Station, and a monthly pass costs $54, plus the lightrail tickets (about $20 per month). My commute is about 40 minutes or so. Next year I am going to live with my parents because most of my time is spent reading and I can do that while commuting on NJ transit (there is a student discount if you buy a monthly pass, plus free access to the lightrail.)
I found a 2b/2ba in a highrise with doorman, gym, and is about 1300 sq feet. I split the rent with someone else. I would investigate your options: come and visit, walk around, and get a feel for the neighborhoods. Make sure you spot the closest grocery store and if you dont have a car, how you are getting to school. FYI- winter isnt the best time to come (we've had 2 snow days in the past 3 weeks). Jersey City (around Van Vorst Park and Hamilton Park) are really nice, but could be a little pricey.
Students live scattered all over the place, but a good chunk of them live in student housing or in 1180 (the apartment building in downtown Newark).

Paulzilla

Postby Paulzilla » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:10 pm

rw2188 wrote:I actually live in downtown Jersey City, by the Goldman Sachs tower. Because I am not a NJ resident, Rutgers cut me a deal (unsure if they still offer it): if you sign a 1 year lease in NJ then you get the in-state tuition. I chose to live here because its 1/2way between Manhattan and Newark. I commute using the PATH train into Newark Penn Station, and a monthly pass costs $54, plus the lightrail tickets (about $20 per month). My commute is about 40 minutes or so. Next year I am going to live with my parents because most of my time is spent reading and I can do that while commuting on NJ transit (there is a student discount if you buy a monthly pass, plus free access to the lightrail.)
I found a 2b/2ba in a highrise with doorman, gym, and is about 1300 sq feet. I split the rent with someone else. I would investigate your options: come and visit, walk around, and get a feel for the neighborhoods. Make sure you spot the closest grocery store and if you dont have a car, how you are getting to school. FYI- winter isnt the best time to come (we've had 2 snow days in the past 3 weeks). Jersey City (around Van Vorst Park and Hamilton Park) are really nice, but could be a little pricey.
Students live scattered all over the place, but a good chunk of them live in student housing or in 1180 (the apartment building in downtown Newark).

Great info again, thanks!

LSATclincher

Postby LSATclincher » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:38 pm

IN via e-mail today. They said they would mail a packet to me soon, but wanted to tell me about the acceptance asap, hence the e-mail. I am hoping for money. For those who got money, did they notify you in the initial e-mail or was it with the regular mail?

LadyG

Postby LadyG » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:20 pm

LSATclincher wrote:IN via e-mail today. They said they would mail a packet to me soon, but wanted to tell me about the acceptance asap, hence the e-mail. I am hoping for money. For those who got money, did they notify you in the initial e-mail or was it with the regular mail?

CONGRATS TO YOU!!! =)

Would you mind sharing when you went complete?

LSATclincher

Postby LSATclincher » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:29 pm

LadyG wrote:
LSATclincher wrote:IN via e-mail today. They said they would mail a packet to me soon, but wanted to tell me about the acceptance asap, hence the e-mail. I am hoping for money. For those who got money, did they notify you in the initial e-mail or was it with the regular mail?

CONGRATS TO YOU!!! =)

Would you mind sharing when you went complete?

Thanks. App was rec'd on 1/10. Complete on 1/19. Decision today, 2/1. I applied for the PT program, so I don't know if that makes any difference. Rutgers-Camden sent me an acceptance after 2 weeks (also applied PT there), but they offered me a seat for either program. I'm not sure if Newark will do the same.

masterthearts

Postby masterthearts » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:49 pm

LadyG wrote:scribble/bearkmarket:

I am assuming you regret going to law school. It is never too late to have a career change, take the bull by the horns and open that coffee shop you have dreamed of since childhood! We're behind you!

In the meantime, your posts are not discouraging as you may intend them to be. Please take a back seat and let the rest of us enjoy some light conversation with one another while we await responses from the committees. Everyone is aware of the job market, the economy, etc, so just relax and focus on a better year.

I am thinking scribble/bearmarket might be a law school applicant who wants to scare people out of applying to Rutger's so that he has a better chance at getting accepted with a scholarship.. My theory also makes sense, i think. He onlly seems to write on the Rutger's thread and no where else. That is why I think he may actually be an applicant who badly wants Rutger's, but may not have the grades/lsat for the school.

RAB

Postby RAB » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:43 pm

Lsatclincher, do you mind sharing your stats? I applied pt as well.

Paulzilla

Postby Paulzilla » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:10 pm

I believe scholarship information is sent in another email that arrives shortly after the acceptance email. However, I don't know firsthand I'm just repeating what I've read in this thread.

masterthearts

Postby masterthearts » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:25 pm

Paulzilla wrote:

I believe scholarship information is sent in another email that arrives shortly after the acceptance email. However, I don't know firsthand I'm just repeating what I've read in this thread.

get it to x

Postby get it to x » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:27 pm

Paulzilla wrote:

Scholarship info is sent in a separate e-mail on the same day as your acceptance. At least that was my experience when I went through the process.

smoneill89

Postby smoneill89 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:52 pm

I got in via email yesterday. . . but no email about scholarship info :(

URMdan

Postby URMdan » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:46 pm

Stuck at 1/10 complete. Submitted my app like 3 weeks before that.

RAB

Postby RAB » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:58 pm

do they send rejection letters via e-mail as well or it will just say rejected on your status?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”