Rutgers-Newark Class of 2014 (First Acceptances are in)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
AmericaninManchuria

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2014 (First Acceptances are in)

Postby AmericaninManchuria » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:01 am

sbmr12 wrote:In via status checker and email. LSAT 157, GPA 3.8. OOS

Does anyone know when we would find out about scholarships?

I've read a few posts of people that got scholarship emails a few hours after an acceptance email or the next day.

When did you go complete?

sbmr12

Postby sbmr12 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:42 am

AmericaninManchuria wrote:
sbmr12 wrote:In via status checker and email. LSAT 157, GPA 3.8. OOS

Does anyone know when we would find out about scholarships?

I've read a few posts of people that got scholarship emails a few hours after an acceptance email or the next day.

When did you go complete?

I went complete 1/3. Got accepted yesterday

NJcollegestudent

Postby NJcollegestudent » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:43 pm

I was deferred via a polite and sincere email yesterday.

Here begins my limbo as i have a full scholarship to widener law school, and rutgers-newark is my first choice.

I hope LOCI and a grade update can help and i hear back by march.

Anyone who was accepted, including jerseygirl, congratulations, this is a great school, and really take your time and a good look at it before you make a decision. The campus, the people and the atmosphere is invigorating and has a special feel to it, and i hope you can partake within that.

lawschool12345

Postby lawschool12345 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:43 pm

status checker stilll says ready for review at 1/10
complete at 1/4

damnnn

URMdan

Postby URMdan » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:18 pm

NJcollegestudent wrote:
The campus, the people and the atmosphere is invigorating and has a special feel to it, and i hope you can partake within that.

I wouldn't go as far as calling the campus, the people and the atmosphere invigorating. I went to RU-N for summer classes and I definitely did not get that vibe and the UG campus is in the same square block radius as the law school campus.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:49 pm

Alex Trebeck wrote:The campus, the people and the atmosphere is invigorating and has a special feel to it...

contestant wrote: What are things that are irrelvant to choice of school?

Alex Trebeck wrote: Correct!

Paulzilla

Postby Paulzilla » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:50 pm

In today via status checker! 159/3.4 in-state. I have been complete since 1/6. Rutgers is my first choice and I will almost certainly be attending.

ChiCity22

Postby ChiCity22 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:02 pm

Got an Acceptance E-mail a few hours ago with 8k/year (162 3.1). I really like the idea of going to RU and its my first choice as of now, I think the only things that would make the decision hard would be $$$$ at Depaul or something close to full scholarship at Cuse.

Paulzilla

Postby Paulzilla » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:22 pm

ChiCity22 wrote:Got an Acceptance E-mail a few hours ago with 8k/year (162 3.1). I really like the idea of going to RU and its my first choice as of now, I think the only things that would make the decision hard would be $$$$ at Depaul or something close to full scholarship at Cuse.

Did the scholarship email come with the acceptance email?

ChiCity22

Postby ChiCity22 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:34 pm

Paulzilla wrote:
ChiCity22 wrote:Got an Acceptance E-mail a few hours ago with 8k/year (162 3.1). I really like the idea of going to RU and its my first choice as of now, I think the only things that would make the decision hard would be $$$$ at Depaul or something close to full scholarship at Cuse.

The scholarship email came seperate but only 3 mins after the acceptance.

Paulzilla

Postby Paulzilla » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:50 pm

Thanks

jerseygirl

Postby jerseygirl » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:24 pm

jerseygirl wrote:In via status checker and email. LSAT 158, GPA 3.5

Jerseygirl, congrats! I actually got excited to see your acceptance because your stats are pretty similar to mine, so I'm happy to see you were accepted...I had a 161 and 3.45. When did you go complete?

I went complete 1/14 and have been checking everyday!

Congrats again

Thanks, Manchuria and to everyone else who congratulated me! To answer your question, I went complete on 11/11. Rutgers Newark is my first choice and as such I will be attending this coming fall. I've already visited and liked the campus very much.

NJcollegestudent

Postby NJcollegestudent » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:46 pm

URMdan wrote:
NJcollegestudent wrote:
The campus, the people and the atmosphere is invigorating and has a special feel to it, and i hope you can partake within that.

I wouldn't go as far as calling the campus, the people and the atmosphere invigorating. I went to RU-N for summer classes and I definitely did not get that vibe and the UG campus is in the same square block radius as the law school campus.

Again, to each is their own for particular descriptions. I have been and am currently attending Rutgers-Newark, and for me it has been more than a college.

I also took summer classes and there are fewer students, as in the fall and spring it is a vibrant campus as well.

URMdan

Postby URMdan » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:31 pm

NJcollegestudent wrote:
URMdan wrote:
NJcollegestudent wrote:

Again, to each is their own for particular descriptions. I have been and am currently attending Rutgers-Newark, and for me it has been more than a college.

I also took summer classes and there are fewer students, as in the fall and spring it is a vibrant campus as well.

I attended Rutgers New Brunswick before transferring to Princeton and I liked brunz better than Newark BY FAR.

AmericaninManchuria

Postby AmericaninManchuria » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:43 pm

ChiCity22 wrote:
Paulzilla wrote:

When did you go complete? I have a similar 161, 3.45 and was complete 1/14

ChiCity22

Postby ChiCity22 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:18 pm

ChiCity22 wrote:
Paulzilla wrote:

When did you go complete? I have a similar 161, 3.45 and was complete 1/14

I went complete on 1/11

scribblehead

Postby scribblehead » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:05 pm

(1) maybe I'm an idiot, but I cannot see too many T14ers coming out of law school and making a B line straight for Jersey. Are you telling me that Harvard, Yale, Columbia, etc. graduates are simply giving up on the big markets they have control over and are flocking to small and mid-sized firms in Jersey? and (2) again, maybe I'm naive but if not Rutgers what school serves the NJ market? Granted it's not big, but from what you're saying it seems to me that anyone who wants to practice in Jersey is SOL if they don't get into T14.

(And please don't bring some random-ass link to make your point. That one story you brought in about the guy that was stabbed in Newark was over four miles from the law school and Newark Penn, in a residential area of town that most law students probably aren't going to call home or ever be around.)

Here is a link for you:

http://www.northjersey.com/news/1127653 ... _road.html

Ivy Leaguers are indeed making a "beeline" for low-paying traffic court clerkships in NJ. What they don't realize is that these "clerkships" are a path to working in small-law for likely less $$$ than the clerkship salary.

Also gotta ROTFL at the R-N clown who thinks his traffic court clerkship is "prestigious." When you see legal jobs ads that seek clerkship experience, they mean Federal courts or state supreme, not ghetto traffic court where the "clerk" brews coffee and scores hookers for some corrupt-mouth breather "judge" deciding slip n' trip cases and DWI's.

Did any of you guys read the infamous NY Times article from 2 weeks ago? Even law professors admit law school is, for most people a giant mistake.

Yet you on insist on joining this dead-end farce of a "profession"? God help you.

Paulzilla

Postby Paulzilla » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:21 pm

scribblehead wrote:
(1) maybe I'm an idiot, but I cannot see too many T14ers coming out of law school and making a B line straight for Jersey. Are you telling me that Harvard, Yale, Columbia, etc. graduates are simply giving up on the big markets they have control over and are flocking to small and mid-sized firms in Jersey? and (2) again, maybe I'm naive but if not Rutgers what school serves the NJ market? Granted it's not big, but from what you're saying it seems to me that anyone who wants to practice in Jersey is SOL if they don't get into T14.

(And please don't bring some random-ass link to make your point. That one story you brought in about the guy that was stabbed in Newark was over four miles from the law school and Newark Penn, in a residential area of town that most law students probably aren't going to call home or ever be around.)

Here is a link for you:

http://www.northjersey.com/news/1127653 ... _road.html

Ivy Leaguers are indeed making a "beeline" for low-paying traffic court clerkships in NJ. What they don't realize is that these "clerkships" are a path to working in small-law for likely less $$$ than the clerkship salary.

Also gotta ROTFL at the R-N clown who thinks his traffic court clerkship is "prestigious." When you see legal jobs ads that seek clerkship experience, they mean Federal courts or state supreme, not ghetto traffic court where the "clerk" brews coffee and scores hookers for some corrupt-mouth breather "judge" deciding slip n' trip cases and DWI's.

Did any of you guys read the infamous NY Times article from 2 weeks ago? Even law professors admit law school is, for most people a giant mistake.

Yet you on insist on joining this dead-end farce of a "profession"? God help you.

Maybe I read it wrong but it appears that he landed a federal clerkship in Trenton.

surfparks6

Postby surfparks6 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:34 am

First time visiting this board, I'm in!!! Pretty excited about it. However, I've only done research on the internet and read various forums and articles on the law school. But from what I've read, Rutgers-Newark is a hidden gem.

From anyone that lives in the area or has visited the campus, is it REALLY that ghetto in Newark??? Seriously? I live in Los Angeles, there are good parts and there are bad parts, as well as most metropolitan cities in the US. Guess what, USC is a great law school, but its located in South Central LA, if I got admitted there, I wouldn't even blink before saying yes. Newark of course doesn't have the same reputation as USC, but I'm curious if the area immediately surrounding Rutgers is where the problem is or is it Newark as a whole. Maybe people just don't like the Jersey accents? Thats going to take some getting used too.. But, in all seriousness, from what I've read over so far, I think this is my school. I like the programs offered, I like that the school is intermixed with the undergrad campus, the school itself has a good national reputation and with the opportunity to get instate tuition, I think its definitely worth the investment. ;)

Let me know what your feelings are if you've been there and actually have experienced the region. ( I'm not looking for an uneducated and uncultured responder. I'm looking for someone whose either lived there for a time or is currently attending the school. )

To everyone who has gotten in, CONGRATS!!

I'm also thinking of living on campus in the graduate housing, how soon do I need to get a spot before it all fills up??

aidez-moi

Postby aidez-moi » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:16 am

surfparks6 wrote:First time visiting this board, I'm in!!! Pretty excited about it. However, I've only done research on the internet and read various forums and articles on the law school. But from what I've read, Rutgers-Newark is a hidden gem.

From anyone that lives in the area or has visited the campus, is it REALLY that ghetto in Newark??? Seriously? I live in Los Angeles, there are good parts and there are bad parts, as well as most metropolitan cities in the US. Guess what, USC is a great law school, but its located in South Central LA, if I got admitted there, I wouldn't even blink before saying yes. Newark of course doesn't have the same reputation as USC, but I'm curious if the area immediately surrounding Rutgers is where the problem is or is it Newark as a whole. Maybe people just don't like the Jersey accents? Thats going to take some getting used too.. But, in all seriousness, from what I've read over so far, I think this is my school. I like the programs offered, I like that the school is intermixed with the undergrad campus, the school itself has a good national reputation and with the opportunity to get instate tuition, I think its definitely worth the investment. ;)

Let me know what your feelings are if you've been there and actually have experienced the region. ( I'm not looking for an uneducated and uncultured responder. I'm looking for someone whose either lived there for a time or is currently attending the school. )

To everyone who has gotten in, CONGRATS!!

I'm also thinking of living on campus in the graduate housing, how soon do I need to get a spot before it all fills up??

Newark is nothing like LA. Although like you mentioned there are good and bad parts of LA, personally I tend to think that there are no good parts of Newark. That isn't to say that it doesn't have its charms, it just means that they are too few and far between. There is a lot of crime, and depending on who you ask the police force either doesn't do its job or is too overstretched to adequately protect the population. Basically it feels like a dying city. Newark is trying to revitalize (they just built the Prudential Center, where the Nets and Devils play), but I don't really see things getting any better any time soon.

That being said, I can't really comment on the area that R-N graduate housing sits in because I have never really been out to that part of town (perhaps NJcollegestudent could help you out with that, he's been a tremendous help). So that part of town might be nice. Furthermore, the commute in to the law school from other towns is simple, so you could always go that route (it would be more expensive though.)

Since you've lived in a city before you'll be fine safety-wise. But definitely visit before you commit, however, as like I said with regards to entertainment/restaurants/etc. it feels like a dying city. Which is a shame.

Congrats on your acceptance!

LadyG

Postby LadyG » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:03 pm

Complete 12/20 and still no word.... think I am getting close?

Paulzilla

Postby Paulzilla » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:38 pm

surfparks6 wrote:I'm also thinking of living on campus in the graduate housing, how soon do I need to get a spot before it all fills up??

I was also wondering about this.

LSATclincher

Postby LSATclincher » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:56 pm

NJcollegestudent wrote:I was deferred via a polite and sincere email yesterday.

Here begins my limbo as i have a full scholarship to widener law school, and rutgers-newark is my first choice.

I hope LOCI and a grade update can help and i hear back by march.

Anyone who was accepted, including jerseygirl, congratulations, this is a great school, and really take your time and a good look at it before you make a decision. The campus, the people and the atmosphere is invigorating and has a special feel to it, and i hope you can partake within that.

I'd almost say Widener is the better choice w/ full scholarship. The problem is the harsh competition there.

get it to x

Postby get it to x » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:49 pm

Paulzilla wrote:
surfparks6 wrote:I'm also thinking of living on campus in the graduate housing, how soon do I need to get a spot before it all fills up??

I was also wondering about this.

From what I understand, getting graduate housing is pretty easy. I believe I heard some 1L's getting housing in late July when their other housing plans fell through. Although I've never seen the apartments/dorms, I never hear anyone complain about them and some of them have distant views of the Manhattan skyline on higher floors. I wouldn't say there's much of a community vibe amongst the residents. There's not much to do right around the school (1-2 bars and a couple of fast-food places) and Newark itself shuts down after dark. On campus residents usually want to get out of Newark after a few weeks because there's not much to do other than schoolwork.

On the whole, Rutgers is a commuter school with most people driving in from all over the state every day and the second sizeable group using mass transit to get to Newark. There's a chunk of people who live in Hoboken, Montclair, Jersey City, NYC, Brooklyn, etc. Mostly everyone clears out after classes because of rush-hour traffic and trains. Some people come back on the weekends to work in the library, but the vast majority do their own thing.

bearmarketblues

Postby bearmarketblues » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:28 pm

As R-N acceptances are now rolling in, I feel this would be a good time to re-cap the NJ/NY legal job "market" that awaits you barristers-to-be. Please read each of the links below, and honestly ask yourself if wasting 3 years at a mediocre schools like R-N really makes any sense.

First of all, the NJ AG's office has a permanent hiring freeze and has admitted lawyers working as volunteers:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =121274655

(Note that over 100 people were vying to work for free- all of them licensed NJ attorneys).

Next, we have massive, historic NJ Legal Aid cuts:

http://articles.philly.com/2010-08-14/n ... ewer-cases

(S. Jersey to lay off 1/4 of the attorneys in 2011. Doesn't sound like public interest is exactly "booming.")

Camden poised to cut 18 assistant prosecutors:

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/0 ... posit.html

(and don't say "this doesn't affect me as I don't want to work in Camden. It affects you b/c now the R-C grads will be vying for prosecutor gigs in other counties since Camden shitcanned the program. See how it works? It's called a "zero-sum" game).

Hunterdon also cutting back on prosecutors:

http://www.nj.com/hunterdon-county-demo ... nty_p.html

(As an aside, these jobs are going because there's little to no political fallout for eliminating them. If you're a politician, do you cut fire, police, garbage pickup, or makework paper-churners in the legal department? Enough said).

NJ's largest firm McCarter & English, just down the block from R-N, had a summer class last year (2010) of 0 people:

http://abovethelaw.com/2009/08/canceled ... d-offices/

Six other NJ firms eliminated summer programs, cut salaries, or both:

http://www.lawjobs.com/newsandviews/Law ... hbxlogin=1

Doc review rates plunge to $25 an hour (and often far less) as this current craigslist ad shows:

--LinkRemoved--

(remember that temp jobs have no health benefits, no 401K, no paid time off, and no assurance of work from week to week).

Crappy NJ Superior Court "clerkships" getting flooded with apps from even Ivy League schools, something never before seen since the program began:

--LinkRemoved--

Love this quote:

State Superior Court judges in New Jersey have seen a substantial jump in law clerk applicants — many from Ivy League schools all over the country — as big law firms cut back on hiring attorneys fresh out of law school.
“Over the last two years, I would say I’ve had four times as many applicants. And of those applicants, they’re all with superior grade averages of over 3.5 from law schools all over the country,” said McVeigh. “I normally get excellent resumes. But the volume of excellent resumes — even the quality — far surpasses anything I’ve ever seen. These are the kinds of applicants that would normally have gone to Supreme Court, or one of the large-starting-salary firms.”

Suffolk Law 3 L contemplates suicide online, agrees with scambloggers and regrets going to law school":

--LinkRemoved--

All of this and more awaits you guys, as the legal market continues to implode and bushels of unemployed JD's wrangle for the tiny amount of shitjobs available. Deciding not to attend law school will be a decision you're unlikely to ever regret.

Go ahead and trash me, ban me, and go back to deciding what color IKEA sofa to purchase for your dorm room. It won't change the fact that the legal market is gruesome beyond belief and getting worse and worse each year.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”