Rutgers-Newark Class of 2014 (First Acceptances are in)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
splittsville

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2014 (First Acceptances are in)

Postby splittsville » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:23 am

Scribblehead, or whatever he calls himself these days, has been posting that same crap article about working for free for at least a year, probably more. Forget about him. $29/hr is still 60,000 a year, so if you somehow graduate with a shitty GPA, that's his worst case scenario? Do better than he did, and you might make more. Rutgers is cheap.

amg414

Postby amg414 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:44 pm

Who else here got accepted to the part-time program and thinks Rutgers is their top choice? I'm pretty excited for the open house in January, has anyone gotten word on it?

lmperri

Postby lmperri » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:13 pm

Accepted w. money and Rutgers - Newark is my first choice. In my current job, I work with alot of attorneys and have asked all of them about Rutgers. The name still holds up very well in NJ and pretty decent in NY. Most big law firms's offices in NJ are employed by R-N grads.

Newark, not the best city in the world and BY FAR not the worst. If you grew up in Suburbia, CT then yes of course it is going to look like that. I live in Hartford and I could tell you a hundred stories of ppl I know getting held up, I lived in New Haven and it was the same thing. My family is from Manhattan and OMG MY FATHER GOT ROBBED TOO!!!! Terrible place! There are parts of Newark that you shouldnt walk around in and there are parts that are fine. If where the school is located is the main factor you are using regarding going there then you need to re-evaluate your reasoning to begin with. If you search R-N on this site, very rarely does it get put down as harsh as it has here so reading this was a surprise. Just because scribblehead is some poor old nasty fart who couldnt use his degree to get anywhere shouldnt make anyone of us change our decisions.

I know ALOT people w/ college degrees that are flipping burgers or working retail - should I tell my younger sister not to go to college because its not worth it?

JennBNYC

Postby JennBNYC » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:34 pm

lmperri wrote:I know ALOT people w/ college degrees that are flipping burgers or working retail - should I tell my younger sister not to go to college because its not worth it?

I like this point :-)

amg414

Postby amg414 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:39 pm

lmperri wrote:I know ALOT people w/ college degrees that are flipping burgers or working retail - should I tell my younger sister not to go to college because its not worth it?

Thank you Imperri, I am one of those with a college degree working in retail sales, and making a good living at it too. Going into law isn't about the money for me (although it is a professional career wherein the possibility at least exists), it is about getting out of a job and a field that I find to be intellectually boring, and where I find the customers and clients take no issue with treating me poorly and assuming I am not intelligent because I am in retail. Not all career choices are about money. If I can get a professional level degree in a field I have always found interesting, at a place that costs not much more a year than my undergrad degree cost, then I see little harm.

aidez-moi

Postby aidez-moi » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:30 pm

While I was trying to find out info about R-N I came across a thread from last year where a current student spoke a lot about the school.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=98060&start=100

It's 60 pages. Definitely didn't make it past 10, but there was some useful info there about the early/later class track and other stuff.

scribblehead

Postby scribblehead » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:35 pm

Scribblehead, or whatever he calls himself these days, has been posting that same crap article about working for free for at least a year, probably more. Forget about him. $29/hr is still 60,000 a year, so if you somehow graduate with a shitty GPA, that's his worst case scenario?

That shows how little you know about legal temping. You do not get paid for sick days, vacations, emergencies, etc. In fact, you have to deduct bathroom breaks and even cell phone calls from your timesheet. Everyone is watched like a hawk (basically like supermax prison level security).

There is also no Internet access. The computers you use as workstations for review have all had the web browsers disabled/removed. There is no health insurance, no 410k, and no stability whatsoever.

Also, you cannot count on 52 weeks a year of work. For example, if the server goes down at 10 am and the IT guys say it will take all day to fix, you are sent home and do not get paid for the remainder of that day.

And if you think that only the bottom quarter of 4th tiers like Cooley are on these projects, you're in for one hell of a shock. I did a project last month in Jersey City and the rate was $26 an hour. There were 4 Georgetown grads there, a fellow from NYU, and dozens of Fordham/Brooklyn/'Bozo kids. Mostly all class of 2007-2009 grads, many of whom were axed in the Biglaw bloodletting and now are basically screwed for life.

You should all spend some time reading this blog to get an idea of the legal temp. market:

http://temporaryattorney.blogspot.com/2 ... -mind.html

splittsville

Postby splittsville » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:02 am

scribblehead wrote:
Scribblehead, or whatever he calls himself these days, has been posting that same crap article about working for free for at least a year, probably more. Forget about him. $29/hr is still 60,000 a year, so if you somehow graduate with a shitty GPA, that's his worst case scenario?

That shows how little you know about legal temping. You do not get paid for sick days, vacations, emergencies, etc. In fact, you have to deduct bathroom breaks and even cell phone calls from your timesheet. Everyone is watched like a hawk (basically like supermax prison level security).

There is also no Internet access. The computers you use as workstations for review have all had the web browsers disabled/removed. There is no health insurance, no 410k, and no stability whatsoever.

Also, you cannot count on 52 weeks a year of work. For example, if the server goes down at 10 am and the IT guys say it will take all day to fix, you are sent home and do not get paid for the remainder of that day.

And if you think that only the bottom quarter of 4th tiers like Cooley are on these projects, you're in for one hell of a shock. I did a project last month in Jersey City and the rate was $26 an hour. There were 4 Georgetown grads there, a fellow from NYU, and dozens of Fordham/Brooklyn/'Bozo kids. Mostly all class of 2007-2009 grads, many of whom were axed in the Biglaw bloodletting and now are basically screwed for life.

You should all spend some time reading this blog to get an idea of the legal temp. market:

http://temporaryattorney.blogspot.com/2 ... -mind.html

Scribblehead/MTal/lawschoolblows/ Scott Bullock: You are as annoying as you are immature. No one wants to hear your "poor me! I don't get paid $26/hr to go on TLS and post scary blogs (that I have written myself) about law schools" anecdotes. Go away. Get your own thread.

kaybee123

Postby kaybee123 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:11 pm

Does anyone think they will release more acceptances today? Possibly before the weekend? :)

NJcollegestudent

Postby NJcollegestudent » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:25 pm

So far it seems they have been releasing it on monday. I was told that November files are being read for what its worth.

jerseygirl

Postby jerseygirl » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:46 pm

Well maybe we'll get lucky and they'll send out some acceptances today to lighten their load on Monday :-)

NJcollegestudent

Postby NJcollegestudent » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:47 pm

jerseygirl wrote:Well maybe we'll get lucky and they'll send out some acceptances today to lighten their load on Monday :-)

When i saw your post i went :), jerseygirl heard back. Hopefully they are following that logic and will send out many decisions before Christmas holiday.

jerseygirl

Postby jerseygirl » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:10 pm

Thank you, but no if I had been accepted you would have heard me screaming from my dorm room, lol. Someone said on what I think was a previous year's Rutgers thread (I've been reading so much these days that I can't remember) that most people who applied in November hear back before Christmas. I hope that whoever said that was correct!

jeremydc

Postby jeremydc » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:37 pm

I am applying next year and very interested to hear your opinions on the area of newark as well as the immediate surrounding areas. I'm not really scared about the area being that I have trained and fought MMA and know how to take care of myself but rather nervous being what ppl say about Newark in general. I am set on getting a dorm so I wouldnt be traveling much but when I do, I dont feel like getting mugged because I probably wont go down easy and eventually get shot (being sarcastic).

NJcollegestudent

Postby NJcollegestudent » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:03 pm

I am an undergraduate right now on the Rutgers-Newark campus. Rest assured, your martial arts skill are not needed on campus as it is quite safe. The main point to understand is that the campus is safe. It consists of a city block or so, and police, and security on those electronic rolling machines are routinely there.

There are some muggings that happen around campus and on campus, typically very late at night, after 11pm or so, and that is more a realization of crime and the evening.

The campus is quite frankly spectacular, and the law building is a gem. The restrooms are very clean, and most of the rooms have been outfitted with the latest technology.

Also, there are shuttles that run around campus during the day and night, the light rail is close by.

I have never been sacred on campus, and never will. It is a great, safe, vibrant campus (i cannot emphasize that last part enough), with the friendliest people on the earth there.

I would advise you not to listen to the Newark bashing that you may hear, and definitely visit the campus for yourself and make a decision on whether Newark is a good town for you.

If you have anymore specific questions about the campus, please feel free to ask.

On a side note in general, i do not know why people have such a hatred for urban areas and locales. Up until a few decades ago, urban areas were looked on favorably. Yes there is crime, and issues that need to be resolved. That being said, there is no need to broad brush an entire city as "dangerous" or with other unfavorable terms. I am very sure that Camden, New Jersey has many good areas that represent the area well, even though i have not been down there.
Last edited by NJcollegestudent on Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NJcollegestudent

Postby NJcollegestudent » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:07 pm

jerseygirl wrote:Thank you, but no if I had been accepted you would have heard me screaming from my dorm room, lol. Someone said on what I think was a previous year's Rutgers thread (I've been reading so much these days that I can't remember) that most people who applied in November hear back before Christmas. I hope that whoever said that was correct!

I will be waiting with you and the other applicants on monday, and refreshing constantly.

I think you have a great chance of receiving admission, with a 158 LSAT. I am hoping my GPA even out my application and my LOR's show my commitment to working. At the end of the day our fate rests upon the admissions staff. :)

get it to x

Postby get it to x » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:40 pm

Just please take into account that Rutgers requires 1st years to take 4 core classes + LRW during the fall semester. Other law schools usually require 3 core classes plus LRW. You will be in school from roughly 10-5:30 or 8-3:45 with very few substantive breaks in between and hundreds of pages of dense legal reading to do when you get home. The addition of that 4th class is substantial to your workload and can be a huge drain. Just make sure you take this into account as the picture of where you're likely to attend becomes clearer over the next few months.

BrownBears09

Postby BrownBears09 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:45 pm

get it to x wrote:Just please take into account that Rutgers requires 1st years to take 4 core classes + LRW during the fall semester. Other law schools usually require 3 core classes plus LRW. You will be in school from roughly 10-5:30 or 8-3:45 with very few substantive breaks in between and hundreds of pages of dense legal reading to do when you get home. The addition of that 4th class is substantial to your workload and can be a huge drain. Just make sure you take this into account as the picture of where you're likely to attend becomes clearer over the next few months.

Those better hours than my current job (or any 40 hr/week for that matter.)

get it to x

Postby get it to x » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:51 pm

Objectively, yes they are better hours. I was of a similar notion when I was a 0L. It's much different when you're going through it.

aidez-moi

Postby aidez-moi » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:32 pm

get it to x wrote:Just please take into account that Rutgers requires 1st years to take 4 core classes + LRW during the fall semester. Other law schools usually require 3 core classes plus LRW. You will be in school from roughly 10-5:30 or 8-3:45 with very few substantive breaks in between and hundreds of pages of dense legal reading to do when you get home. The addition of that 4th class is substantial to your workload and can be a huge drain. Just make sure you take this into account as the picture of where you're likely to attend becomes clearer over the next few months.

Plus, from what I understand, LRW is graded. Unlike other schools that make it P/F or simply give credit for attendance, your writing from the start factors into your overall grade. (And I am pretty sure one of the required courses for 1L is property - :shock: )

Great points, get it to x, and ones that should definitely be considered.

get it to x

Postby get it to x » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:51 pm

aidez-moi wrote:

Plus, from what I understand, LRW is graded. Unlike other schools that make it P/F or simply give credit for attendance, your writing from the start factors into your overall grade. (And I am pretty sure one of the required courses for 1L is property - :shock: )

Great points, get it to x, and ones that should definitely be considered.

Yes, LRW is graded although one assignment is a "draft" of your first paper that is ungraded. And yes Property is a first semester course and is every bit as tough/dry as you imagine. Rutgers has a significant number of positives (I'm sure most of you have figured them out esp the tuition price), but is very much a school in transition and a lot of rough edges (long-tenured faculty members who are ineffective educators and need to retire, lack of full wi-fi in the library, a first-year curriculum that needs to be overhauled, etc.) are currently being smoothed over. It will be interesting to see where the school is in 5-10 years. It entered a "lethargic" period from the mid-90's to the present and is starting to become more proactive in marketing and selling itself. Hopefully, we'll see positive progress in the future.

NJcollegestudent

Postby NJcollegestudent » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:33 am

I did see the two tracks you can take. In my opinion it is actually not so bad having an 8-3:45 track. Yes there is quite some work to be done, however, it is for the bettering of yourself as a law student.

Incidentically i have to ask one thing about the law program, as i have not ever sat in one a class, quite frankly i am not sure if you can audit as an undergraduate, however, of all the courses which did you find the most amount of back and forth? Torts? Criminal Procedure?

get it to x

Postby get it to x » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:46 am

NJcollegestudent wrote:I did see the two tracks you can take. In my opinion it is actually not so bad having an 8-3:45 track. Yes there is quite some work to be done, however, it is for the bettering of yourself as a law student.

Incidentically i have to ask one thing about the law program, as i have not ever sat in one a class, quite frankly i am not sure if you can audit as an undergraduate, however, of all the courses which did you find the most amount of back and forth? Torts? Criminal Procedure?

It very well might not be depending upon how far you live from school and if you're a morning person etc. Back and forth in class depends primarily on what the professor's style is and to a slight degree on the subject material itself. In core classes, professors have to get to point X in the curriculum by the end so some will restrict questions, discussion, etc to a limited portion of the class or altogether. In larger core classes the professor might pre-select 20 students to cold call on and they will be the only ones to enter the discussion, some pick a single poor soul to go back and forth with for the entire 75 minutes, others might call on a few people but for the most part the class is silent. Depends on the style as I mentioned above. If you're looking for intense interpersonal dialogue between multiple students and faculty members, I think that is by far the exception and may be found only in small seminars versus 120-70 person classes. It's going to be a shock/wake-up call for most of you. In fact, I would venture to say that it is normal for most 1L's to not have great attachment/interest in the subject material. The ones who do and think they're going to be great lawyers are also in for a shock. LRW is really the only class where you can gauge how much you're going to like legitimate legal practice since writing and research are what occupies the majority of a lawyer's time. Discussing the public policy implications of adverse possession...not so much.

NJcollegestudent

Postby NJcollegestudent » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:53 am

get it to x wrote:
NJcollegestudent wrote:I did see the two tracks you can take. In my opinion it is actually not so bad having an 8-3:45 track. Yes there is quite some work to be done, however, it is for the bettering of yourself as a law student.

It very well might not be depending upon how far you live from school and if you're a morning person etc. Back and forth in class depends primarily on what the professor's style is and to a slight degree on the subject material itself. In core classes, professors have to get to point X in the curriculum by the end so some will restrict questions, discussion, etc to a limited portion of the class or altogether. In larger core classes the professor might pre-select 20 students to cold call on and they will be the only ones to enter the discussion, some pick a single poor soul to go back and forth with for the entire 75 minutes, others might call on a few people but for the most part the class is silent. Depends on the style as I mentioned above. If you're looking for intense interpersonal dialogue between multiple students and faculty members, I think that is by far the exception and may be found only in small seminars versus 120-70 person classes. It's going to be a shock/wake-up call for most of you. In fact, I would venture to say that it is normal for most 1L's to not have great attachment/interest in the subject material. The ones who do and think they're going to be great lawyers are also in for a shock. LRW is really the only class where you can gauge how much you're going to like legitimate legal practice since writing and research are what occupies the majority of a lawyer's time. Discussing the public policy implications of adverse possession...not so much.

Did your professor bring up the adverse possession laws and the issues in FL this year? Quite the policy issue there, with people taking care of the property and then renting it out, via the nytimes article i read. You add in the mess with bank notes and the fraud in foreclosure proceedings and it is just a mess down there. I feel awful for those homeowners though.

If you want to take a look: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/09/us/09foreclosure.html

I am not that far away, and it typically is a short commute for me. I know that being a 0L it is hard for me to say it, however, i honestly look forward to the challenge. What is life if not for challenges?

Also, when someone gets cold called for the class, is it typically written before hand, or is it at random.

Lastly, are you a current student? If, so, i have to say all the law students i see in the library have an apple net book and a coffee, it is really scary how similar everyone looks. In addition, best of luck on any remaining finals. :)
Last edited by NJcollegestudent on Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

get it to x

Postby get it to x » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:03 am

NJcollegestudent wrote:
get it to x wrote:

Did your professor bring up the adverse possession laws and the issues in FL this year? Quite the policy issue there, with people taking care of the property and then renting it out, via the nytimes article i read. You add in the mess with bank notes and the fraud in foreclosure proceedings and it is just a mess down there. I feel awful for those homeowners though.

If you want to take a look: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/09/us/09foreclosure.html

I am not that far away, and it typically is a short commute for me. I know that being a 0L it is hard for me to say it, however, i honestly look forward to the challenge. What is life if not for challenges?

Also, when someone gets cold called for the class, is it typically written before hand, or is it at random.

Lastly, are you a current student? If, so, i have to say all the law students i see in the library have an apple net book and a coffee, it is really scary how similar everyone looks.

Nope, I can honestly say they didn't bring in any current events into class. Occasionally, they'll hand out an article for you to see an issue or two in but usually the article is several years old. Hardly any professors will warn you that you specifically will be cold called on a certain day. Obviously for profs that break the class down into groups if your group is up your feet will be put to the fire. Most professors just randomly move around the seating chart looking for someone to spar with. Depending on their personality, if you don't live up to their expectations be prepared for a jackass passive-aggressive remark after they're done demonstrating that your comprehension of the material was inadequate for their purposes.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”