Rutgers-Newark Class of 2014 (First Acceptances are in)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
NJcollegestudent
Posts: 490
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:12 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2014 (First Acceptances are in)

Postby NJcollegestudent » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:29 pm

Newark, New Jersey is a fine city and i am proud to be an undergraduate there and would be just as happy to be admitted to their law school.

scribblehead
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:15 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2014 (First Acceptances are in)

Postby scribblehead » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:32 pm

And this:

http://blog.nj.com/njv_joan_whitlow/201 ... es_be.html


It will only get worse as Gov. Christie sees the folly of dumping more suburban tax dollars into the open cesspool called Newark. They've already cut the police force in half:

--LinkRemoved--

Newark may now have a decent "shot" (LOL) of bumping Camden off the Forbes ranking as #1 Most Dangerous City in America. Camden also laid off tons of police, but Newark folks seem to have a real knack for random, senseless acts of violence. It's amazing that anyone would voluntarily spend time in this place, much less pay 10 K a year to do so.

User avatar
BrownBears09
Posts: 330
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:48 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2014 (First Acceptances are in)

Postby BrownBears09 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:40 pm

scribblehead wrote:I got out of insurance defense altogether about 2 years ago and now run a small law practice on the side part-time for several small business clients and work as a HS history teacher as my main gig.
I did my time in NYC insurance defense hell at 4 different firms. Mostly auto accident/trip fall defense and some construction accidents too & med mal. Worst thing is that the little firms expect Biglaw type hours for the 45 or 50 K they pay you, and the work is mindless and repetitive. Morale at these firms is super-low and turnover is very high.

The reason why asbestos work sucks so much is the depositions are so long and boring. Do you really wanna spend 6 hours a day listening to some pathetic 50 K a year insurance defender grilling a geezer who's wheezing thru a cancer box? Do you wanna cut/paste the same identical makework discovery demands together over & over? Forget about ever making decent money- the big firms like W&L have the loot to run the TV ads and get all the cases, and have no reason to pay associates anything more than a token wage to churn and burn these crappy files. In fact, many of these places can people once they reach a certain salary level (like 65 K) and bring in fresh newbies for 45 K. A few miunutes is all it really takes to "learn" what little you need to know in crap areas like asbestos/auto accident/trip n slip/med mal.

Trials? Please understand that about 1 out of every 5000 civil tort cases actually go to trial. Trial skills are not terribly valuable in insurance/tort work because most small plaintiff firms already have a partner who does the trials (of which there are very few anyway). Also, a lot of semi-retired lawyers still do trials per-diem, so there's little reason to ever train a newbie for trial work since there's a ready supply of people who can already do it and do it well.


This pretty much sums up why your opinion doesn't matter. You've got some good gems in your Post History.

Edit: Every other post is a Craigslist ad. Maybe he's Craig?
Last edited by BrownBears09 on Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jerseygirl
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:39 am

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2014 (First Acceptances are in)

Postby jerseygirl » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:42 pm

Scribblehead,
Thank you for your advice. However, perhaps your time would be better spent in the "in at yale" thread where you can speak down to us lowly people with your elitist cohorts.

Sincerely,
Rutgers Law- Newark is my 1st choice

masterthearts
Posts: 396
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:04 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2014 (First Acceptances are in)

Postby masterthearts » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:49 pm

ACCEPTED with MERIT SCHOLLY.
NOW THE DILEMMA.
I also got into a T14. Do I pay full price for a T14 or go to Rutgers for less than 1/2 the price of a T14?
This is a tough decision.
Job prospects appear to be getting worse everyday in NJ, so not sure I want to be stuck in NJ by attending Rutgers.

Anyone else in the same predicament? If so, what are you doing?

NJcollegestudent
Posts: 490
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:12 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2014 (First Acceptances are in)

Postby NJcollegestudent » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:49 pm

jerseygirl wrote:Scribblehead,
Thank you for your advice. However, perhaps your time would be better spent in the "in at yale" thread where you can speak down to us lowly people with your elitist cohorts.

Sincerely,
Rutgers Law- Newark is my 1st choice



Well-put ma'am.

aidez-moi
Posts: 183
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:33 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2014 (First Acceptances are in)

Postby aidez-moi » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:53 pm

masterthearts wrote:ACCEPTED with MERIT SCHOLLY.
NOW THE DILEMMA.
I also got into a T14. Do I pay full price for a T14 or go to Rutgers for less than 1/2 the price of a T14?
This is a tough decision.
Job prospects appear to be getting worse everyday in NJ, so not sure I want to be stuck in NJ by attending Rutgers.

Anyone else in the same predicament? If so, what are you doing?


From what I've heard, Rutgers places well in NJ and very modestly in NY. If you absolutely don't want to stay in Jersey, then I'd be wary of Rutgers.

NJcollegestudent
Posts: 490
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:12 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2014 (First Acceptances are in)

Postby NJcollegestudent » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:59 pm

aidez-moi wrote:
masterthearts wrote:ACCEPTED with MERIT SCHOLLY.
NOW THE DILEMMA.
I also got into a T14. Do I pay full price for a T14 or go to Rutgers for less than 1/2 the price of a T14?
This is a tough decision.
Job prospects appear to be getting worse everyday in NJ, so not sure I want to be stuck in NJ by attending Rutgers.

Anyone else in the same predicament? If so, what are you doing?


From what I've heard, Rutgers places well in NJ and very modestly in NY. If you absolutely don't want to stay in Jersey, then I'd be wary of Rutgers.


They place well within Newark as well in the sense of the county courts and the federal courts as well.

masterthearts
Posts: 396
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:04 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2014 (First Acceptances are in)

Postby masterthearts » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:01 pm

NJcollegestudent wrote:
aidez-moi wrote:
masterthearts wrote:ACCEPTED with MERIT SCHOLLY.
NOW THE DILEMMA.
I also got into a T14. Do I pay full price for a T14 or go to Rutgers for less than 1/2 the price of a T14?
This is a tough decision.
Job prospects appear to be getting worse everyday in NJ, so not sure I want to be stuck in NJ by attending Rutgers.

Anyone else in the same predicament? If so, what are you doing?


From what I've heard, Rutgers places well in NJ and very modestly in NY. If you absolutely don't want to stay in Jersey, then I'd be wary of Rutgers.


They place well within Newark as well in the sense of the county courts and the federal courts as well.


Even with Christie slashing the budget right and left??

NJcollegestudent
Posts: 490
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:12 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2014 (First Acceptances are in)

Postby NJcollegestudent » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:07 pm

masterthearts wrote:
NJcollegestudent wrote:
aidez-moi wrote:
masterthearts wrote:ACCEPTED with MERIT SCHOLLY.
NOW THE DILEMMA.
I also got into a T14. Do I pay full price for a T14 or go to Rutgers for less than 1/2 the price of a T14?
This is a tough decision.
Job prospects appear to be getting worse everyday in NJ, so not sure I want to be stuck in NJ by attending Rutgers.

Anyone else in the same predicament? If so, what are you doing?


From what I've heard, Rutgers places well in NJ and very modestly in NY. If you absolutely don't want to stay in Jersey, then I'd be wary of Rutgers.


They place well within Newark as well in the sense of the county courts and the federal courts as well.


Even with Christie slashing the budget right and left??



Federal placement is not funded by the state, rather the U.S. government. The local placement is based on historical discussions about where students place. Honestly, even if the market is not good, working hard in law school will pay off when it comes to your first job.

masterthearts
Posts: 396
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:04 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2014 (First Acceptances are in)

Postby masterthearts » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:13 pm

Well, like my original question asks: Does anyone on this board have to make a choice between Rutgers Newark with merit money or a T14? I got accepted to both and it is becoming difficult to ask my parents to spend $200K for a T14 when i can go to Rutgers for less than 1/2 with the scholly.
But, if the job prospects will be much greater coming out of a T14, then i can justify coughing up all that money. If the jobs prospects won't be much better, then it makes no sense. Anyone in the same situation?

NJcollegestudent
Posts: 490
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:12 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2014 (First Acceptances are in)

Postby NJcollegestudent » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:16 pm

masterthearts wrote:Well, like my original question asks: Does anyone on this board have to make a choice between Rutgers Newark with merit money or a T14? I got accepted to both and it is becoming difficult to ask my parents to spend $200K for a T14 when i can go to Rutgers for less than 1/2 with the scholly.
But, if the job prospects will be much greater coming out of a T14, then i can justify coughing up all that money. If the jobs prospects won't be much better, then it makes no sense. Anyone in the same situation?


I am not, however, i can offer you this piece of advice. After you have been working for a few years, the school you graduated from does not matter as much. If you are $30,000 in debt, compared to $200,000, it is substantial, and life-changing. I would reason the J.D. is the most important part of all this, without it there is nothing, and earning one for $30,000 from a good school and a well respected one such as Rutgers would be an excellent investment.

scribblehead
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:15 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2014 (First Acceptances are in)

Postby scribblehead » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:07 pm

This pretty much sums up why your opinion doesn't matter.



Yes, the opinion of a practicing NJ lawyer is totally irrelevant. Much better to take advice from all the 0 L's on here who are experts on the NJ/NY legal market, small firm economics, etc.

Why bash the temp jobs on craigslist? Hell, even the ABA now admits that one-fourth of ALL law school grads are working as doc review temps:

http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/ ... _stats_sh/

I strongly suggest that you guys all pay a visit to Barasso Consulting in Westfield, NJ. That's the largest NJ doc review gig and had been for years. It pays $29 an hour with no health benefits, no paid leave, and no future. It's a huge place packed to the rafters w/ R-N & Seton Hall grads.

Hell, this guy has the right idea:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCQ1fIC70b8

Stop now before you end up with a worthless R-N law degree to burn in the fireplace or use as expensive toilet paper.

NJcollegestudent
Posts: 490
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:12 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2014 (First Acceptances are in)

Postby NJcollegestudent » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:29 pm

It seems that Rutgers bashing is something that never stops. Rutgers is a great school, and what you do with your J.D. after graduation speaks not to the tier of school, rather your ability.

In the real world, ability counts, and prestige is something of a farce. It may get you an initial job and maybe another, however, there are thousands of successful attorneys from lower ranked schools. Does that mean they learned another form of law, unheard of outside the top schools? Last time i checked passing the bar was a prerequisite to being an attorney, not attending a top school.

Also, who is to say that Rutgers-Newark is not a top school. It might be the top one in New Jersey, and that is nothing to sneeze at. Are you telling me a person who attends a school in NM is never going to find a job, even though there is only one law school in that state?

Lastly, not everyone wants biglaw, or $250,000 a year and that nice Manhattan office. Do many want that exact picture for themselves? Of-course they do, however, will they be happy working 60-80 hours a week? If so, then excellent, however, if not well then there might not be much happiness there. Bottom line is law is not necessarily money, and nor should it be thought of as such. Take the social work profession for example in this case. Does it pay a lot of money? The answer is no, however, those who do it are basing their choice to help society, something that seems to be admirable, rather than looked down upon.

NJcollegestudent
Posts: 490
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:12 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2014 (First Acceptances are in)

Postby NJcollegestudent » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:36 pm

In addition, were there any decisions today? I did not see a large round of postings on LSN, so i am assuming not.

User avatar
BrownBears09
Posts: 330
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:48 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2014 (First Acceptances are in)

Postby BrownBears09 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:37 pm

BrownBears09 wrote:Completed on 12/3. In on 12/13 [via email].

NJcollegestudent
Posts: 490
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:12 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2014 (First Acceptances are in)

Postby NJcollegestudent » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:40 pm

BrownBears09 wrote:
BrownBears09 wrote:Completed on 12/3. In on 12/13 [via email].



I did see you on LSN, and figured you were acceptance last week. Congratulations on the acceptance.

scribblehead
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:15 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2014 (First Acceptances are in)

Postby scribblehead » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:54 pm

NJ Legal Aid cuts:

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/local/nj ... brary.html

NJ AG lawyers work for FREE:

http://blogs.findlaw.com/strategist/200 ... teers.html

As Bruce Springsteen sang in "My Hometown," "these jobs are a goin' boys, and they ain't comin' back."

Even NJ's versions of Biglaw are hurting:

http://www.law.com/jsp/article.jsp?id=1202428634271


I just find the whole thing so puzzling. People actually want to pay $$$ to obtain a worthless degree that promises future unemployment and/or a miserable job at a gutter wage?

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2014 (First Acceptances are in)

Postby northwood » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:00 pm

thanks for your posts. we get it... just because someone is applying there doesnt lock them into going there.

masterthearts
Posts: 396
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:04 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2014 (First Acceptances are in)

Postby masterthearts » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:14 pm

scribblehead wrote:NJ Legal Aid cuts:

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/local/nj ... brary.html

NJ AG lawyers work for FREE:

http://blogs.findlaw.com/strategist/200 ... teers.html

As Bruce Springsteen sang in "My Hometown," "these jobs are a goin' boys, and they ain't comin' back."

Even NJ's versions of Biglaw are hurting:

http://www.law.com/jsp/article.jsp?id=1202428634271


I just find the whole thing so puzzling. People actually want to pay $$$ to obtain a worthless degree that promises future unemployment and/or a miserable job at a gutter wage?


Are you one of those disgruntled law grads who bash the law schools on the internet because they can't find work?

scribblehead
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:15 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2014 (First Acceptances are in)

Postby scribblehead » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:21 pm

thanks for your posts. we get it.


I don't think anyone on this entire site "gets it." The job market for attorneys is worse now than at any time in recorded history. Yet no one ever ponders where the hell they'll find a job-ANY JOB- with a degree from a laughingstock diploma mill like R-N.

With the Biglaw cutbacks, even crappy firms are now getting resumes from Top 14'ers. Ditto for those pathetic NJ Traffic Court "clerkships" that R-N and the other toilet Seton Hall are so famous for pushing on everyone.

Hell, tons of low-end gutter work like doc review is now being outsourced to Indian attorneys with the ABA's full blessing:

http://www.theoutsourceblog.com/2010/08 ... e-to-stay/


This trend will only grow as more and more corporations use Indian attorneys rather than the high-priced American paper-churners.

And this is an industry you want to enter? Websites like this really make experienced (i'm 5 years admitted) attorneys laugh. Everyone I know who's admitted:

1) Despise, not just mere hate, their law jobs
2) Constantly talk about how much they regret going to law school,
3) Earn barely enough $$$ to survive,
4) Are trying all the time to find a non-legal job and say goodbye to law for good.

User avatar
Mike12188
Posts: 792
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:07 am

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2014 (First Acceptances are in)

Postby Mike12188 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:29 pm

I don't think I'd take RU with aid over a T14 to answer a previous question. I didn't even apply because they wouldn't give me a fee waiver


Now for Scribble, he seems like some bum lawyer with too much time on his hands.

aidez-moi
Posts: 183
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:33 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2014 (First Acceptances are in)

Postby aidez-moi » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:34 pm

scribblehead wrote:1) Despise, not just mere hate, their law jobs
2) Constantly talk about how much they regret going to law school,
3) Earn barely enough $$$ to survive,
4) Are trying all the time to find a non-legal job and say goodbye to law for good.


5) Spend time on a law school forum

Oh wait, that's just you.

User avatar
BrownBears09
Posts: 330
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:48 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2014 (First Acceptances are in)

Postby BrownBears09 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:37 pm

Mike12188 wrote:Now for Scribble, he seems like some bum lawyer with too much time on his hands.


He's a has-been Tort lawyer who's now a HS teacher.

The math, I did it.

acrossthelake
Posts: 4431
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2014 (First Acceptances are in)

Postby acrossthelake » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:59 am

scribblehead wrote:
thanks for your posts. we get it.


I don't think anyone on this entire site "gets it." The job market for attorneys is worse now than at any time in recorded history. Yet no one ever ponders where the hell they'll find a job-ANY JOB- with a degree from a laughingstock diploma mill like R-N.

With the Biglaw cutbacks, even crappy firms are now getting resumes from Top 14'ers. Ditto for those pathetic NJ Traffic Court "clerkships" that R-N and the other toilet Seton Hall are so famous for pushing on everyone.

Hell, tons of low-end gutter work like doc review is now being outsourced to Indian attorneys with the ABA's full blessing:

http://www.theoutsourceblog.com/2010/08 ... e-to-stay/


This trend will only grow as more and more corporations use Indian attorneys rather than the high-priced American paper-churners.

And this is an industry you want to enter? Websites like this really make experienced (i'm 5 years admitted) attorneys laugh. Everyone I know who's admitted:

1) Despise, not just mere hate, their law jobs
2) Constantly talk about how much they regret going to law school,
3) Earn barely enough $$$ to survive,
4) Are trying all the time to find a non-legal job and say goodbye to law for good.



We have a thread for this: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=66974

Please don't interrupt and derail acceptance threads for this. You can start your own thread elsewhere if you want to discuss this.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ginawwhan, Lawl_Schoolz, notnecessarilyproper, RictusErectus, TakeItToTrial, xnsch, Zoe107 and 14 guests