Rutgers-Newark Class of 2014 (First Acceptances are in) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
get it to x

Bronze

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2014 (First Acceptances are in)

Post by get it to x » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:17 pm

The bolded is patently false. If you're at school by 10:30 a.m. you can still get a great parking spot, by 11 am you're starting to push your luck. At 8:30 a.m. you can get one of the first non-resident spots available in the garages. One of the garages doesn't even open up until 8:30 a.m., so how can all the spots be taken by the undergrads?[/quote]

Agreed king. I don't drive, but my friends who do usually don't complain about the parking.

secret0928

New

Post by secret0928 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:42 pm

Anyone have info as to how they notify of decisions? I'm hearing e-mails/status checker mostly.

smoneill89

New

Post by smoneill89 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:49 pm

secret0928 wrote:Anyone have info as to how they notify of decisions? I'm hearing e-mails/status checker mostly.
I got an email.

lic06003

New

Post by lic06003 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:41 pm

does anyone know when they start looking at deferred applications? thanks.

LaProfe14

New

Post by LaProfe14 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:12 pm

smoneill89 wrote:
secret0928 wrote:Anyone have info as to how they notify of decisions? I'm hearing e-mails/status checker mostly.
I got an email.
How long did it take for you to receive an answer? I've been complete since 2/4, hopefully it comes this month!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

secret0928

New

Post by secret0928 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:47 pm

LaProfe14 wrote:
smoneill89 wrote:
I got an email.
How long did it take for you to receive an answer? I've been complete since 2/4, hopefully it comes this month!
I've also been complete since 2/4. Nothing yet.

smoneill89

New

Post by smoneill89 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:27 pm

LaProfe14 wrote:
smoneill89 wrote:
I got an email.
I was complete 1/20 and got in 2/1.

axxion89

New

Post by axxion89 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:30 pm

I applied and have my app complete on 2/4 as well. I have an LSAT of 152 and GPA of 3.56 with good LOTRs (one from Congressman) and IMO a very good essay and extracurriculars. What would you say my chances are?

ohcede

New

Post by ohcede » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:58 pm

Hey! Anyone going to the tour this Friday?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Paulzilla

New

Post by Paulzilla » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:10 pm

Can anyone who lives in the dorms or know someone who does discuss what they're like?

get it to x

Bronze

Post by get it to x » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:08 am

Paulzilla wrote:Can anyone who lives in the dorms or know someone who does discuss what they're like?
I don't live in the dorms, but from what I understand your options are either graduate apartment housing in either University Square or Talbott. Talbott, I believe are 2-4 single rooms one bathroom, a kitchen, and a den/living room. I guess it's more akin to suite-style dorms in college. University Square is newer and more traditional apartment style living I believe. Upperclassmen from Rutgers can live there as well. I've never heard anyone gripe about the housing itself. It seems to attract a lot of the students straight out of undergrad probably because they don't know any different. I would say a good chunk of the 25-32 crowd live in Jersey City, Hoboken, etc. I can't speak for the interaction between undergrads and law students in this situation as well. The biggest complaint I've heard about people moving out after 1L is that Newark is dead after dark and there's nothing to do on the weekends except study. For the most part I think that's true since campus usually clears out after 5:30 or so and the commuters leave.

NJcollegestudent

Bronze

Post by NJcollegestudent » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:17 pm

Here is some information for those who are deferred:

I spoke with a admissions staff member in person today on campus and our files, should we be waiting for Rutgers-Newark Law School should be in review at the end of March and Early April.

Again, congratulations to all those who have been accepted. I urge you to take a tour and see how nice the campus is.

Justathought

Silver

Post by Justathought » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:44 pm

Just got an invitation to participate in the MSP program. Any current students have any information to share on this program? I'm particularly interested in the 1L summer internship, but even the jump start on law school related skills seems advantageous.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

get it to x

Bronze

Post by get it to x » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:52 pm

Justathought wrote:Just got an invitation to participate in the MSP program. Any current students have any information to share on this program? I'm particularly interested in the 1L summer internship, but even the jump start on law school related skills seems advantageous.
I would read the literature that you receive regarding the MSP program very carefully. In order to qualify for the internship program, you have to attend weekly facilitations for every one of your core classes that are led by a student who has taken your class with that professor before. Each facilitation gives homework in the forms of hypotheticals that you must hand in. Miss more than a given number of facilitations/hw assignments and you don't qualify for the internship program in the spring. Also, there's a GPA requirement I believe from the first semester and Dean Bravo-Weber choses students from the overall MSP pool who qualify. The internships are usually Newark based and some are for pay. It seems like a good way to get your foot in the door, but from the students I talked to it seems more of a hassle since you can probably find internships easier on your own or through career services.

I will say that the facilitations are usually a source of underlying tension amongst the majority of the students who aren't in the program. Although the hypos are available in the library to everyone, some feel that the extra hand holding is unfair in a curriculum where everything is standardized and curved to ensure fairness. Whether the extra week of Orientation provides a leg up, I am unsure. I think everyone has the same "holy crap what the hell do we do" reaction to the first semester. MSP students tend to be a little more friendly amongst themselves than others. Again, probably due to the extra week of orientation. The program however is pretty much open to anyone with a diverse background regardless of race, ethnicity, etc. Hope this helps.

Justathought

Silver

Post by Justathought » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:38 pm

get it to x wrote:
Justathought wrote:Just got an invitation to participate in the MSP program. Any current students have any information to share on this program? I'm particularly interested in the 1L summer internship, but even the jump start on law school related skills seems advantageous.
I would read the literature that you receive regarding the MSP program very carefully. In order to qualify for the internship program, you have to attend weekly facilitations for every one of your core classes that are led by a student who has taken your class with that professor before. Each facilitation gives homework in the forms of hypotheticals that you must hand in. Miss more than a given number of facilitations/hw assignments and you don't qualify for the internship program in the spring. Also, there's a GPA requirement I believe from the first semester and Dean Bravo-Weber choses students from the overall MSP pool who qualify. The internships are usually Newark based and some are for pay. It seems like a good way to get your foot in the door, but from the students I talked to it seems more of a hassle since you can probably find internships easier on your own or through career services.

I will say that the facilitations are usually a source of underlying tension amongst the majority of the students who aren't in the program. Although the hypos are available in the library to everyone, some feel that the extra hand holding is unfair in a curriculum where everything is standardized and curved to ensure fairness. Whether the extra week of Orientation provides a leg up, I am unsure. I think everyone has the same "holy crap what the hell do we do" reaction to the first semester. MSP students tend to be a little more friendly amongst themselves than others. Again, probably due to the extra week of orientation. The program however is pretty much open to anyone with a diverse background regardless of race, ethnicity, etc. Hope this helps.
Thanks very much for sharing your thoughts. I will say, weekly meeting for all of the core courses seems like it might be overkill. Still, even though I consider myself pretty sharp, turning down the chance for extra help and an internship over the first year summer strikes me as crazy, at first glance anyway. I'm not sold on the program yet though, so I will certainly be looking over all the material that comes my way in the coming weeks.

merfman

New

Post by merfman » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:37 pm

I'm sorry, what is an MSP?

Justathought

Silver

Post by Justathought » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:45 pm

merfman wrote:I'm sorry, what is an MSP?
Minority Student Program.

(Anyone can apply to this program, regardless of race or ethnicity.)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

AmericaninManchuria

New

Post by AmericaninManchuria » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:26 am

Justathought wrote:

They say that...but do they really mean that? Don't you have to be a "minority"? Natural blondes are the most global minority....does that count?

Justathought

Silver

Post by Justathought » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:36 am

AmericaninManchuria wrote:
Justathought wrote:

They say that...but do they really mean that? Don't you have to be a "minority"? Natural blondes are the most global minority....does that count?
Well I have green eyes and light brown hair. I'm Puerto Rican and Italian, somehow I look more like I'm from Northern Europe. I checked the MSP box and was accepted. My personal statement and diversity statement were positive and did not deal with adversity; my GPA addendum was a tearjerker though. :|

EmB501

New

Post by EmB501 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:01 pm

How often does the status checker update? I have been complete since 1/24 and it still says complete. Should I be worried?

solarae

Bronze

Post by solarae » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:18 pm

got defer email today

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

get it to x

Bronze

Post by get it to x » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:37 pm

In case any of you have any questions about RU, please feel free to post since things are slightly less frenetic now that spring break has arrived. I'll try to answer them as accurately/fairly as I can.

jwargoru

New

Post by jwargoru » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:17 pm

I applied on 2/28 and my application went complete on 3/2. I received my acceptance this morning, 3/16. I was worried about applying so late in the cycle, but I am relieved that I was accepted as RU Newark is the only school I applied for this cycle.

Justathought

Silver

Post by Justathought » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:18 pm

jwargoru wrote:I applied on 2/28 and my application went complete on 3/2. I received my acceptance this morning, 3/16. I was worried about applying so late in the cycle, but I am relieved that I was accepted as RU Newark is the only school I applied for this cycle.
Congrats!

jwargoru

New

Post by jwargoru » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:22 pm

Justathought wrote:
jwargoru wrote:I applied on 2/28 and my application went complete on 3/2. I received my acceptance this morning, 3/16. I was worried about applying so late in the cycle, but I am relieved that I was accepted as RU Newark is the only school I applied for this cycle.
Congrats!
Thank you! :D

For anyone interested: 2.8/160 non-URM
Low GPA due to some difficult circumstances during undergrad explained in my PS.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”