Rutgers-Newark Class of 2014 (First Acceptances are in) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
don_geis

New

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2014 (First Acceptances are in)

Post by don_geis » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:26 am

lawfreak wrote:Is it still possible for me to get in if I apply today with a 158/3.95 to either full or part-time? Also, how easy is it easy to get in-state status for tuition if you're coming from another state? How would I go about doing that?

Thanks

Last year I applied about one week before the deadline and I was accepted. My numbers were 159/2.95.

lawfreak

Bronze

Post by lawfreak » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:33 am

don_geis wrote:
lawfreak wrote:Is it still possible for me to get in if I apply today with a 158/3.95 to either full or part-time? Also, how easy is it easy to get in-state status for tuition if you're coming from another state? How would I go about doing that?

Thanks

Last year I applied about one week before the deadline and I was accepted. My numbers were 159/2.95.
Thanks, does it matter whether I apply to part or full-time in terms of chances this late in the game?

I was also wondering whether it is possible to solicit a fee waiver from Rutgers-Newark?

Joymin

New

Post by Joymin » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:16 pm

+ 1

Joymin

New

Post by Joymin » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:18 pm

tagging

lsatextreme

Silver

Post by lsatextreme » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:41 pm

well, dinged via snail mail while the status checker still says complete. I guess they don't even bother to update at least some people's decisions...letter was dated 2/15 and I received it either last fri or sat

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

aei0u

New

Post by aei0u » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:49 pm

Accepted on 2/7 (app completed on 1/19)
$18k/year merit scholarship, must maintain 3.0 GPA
Received acceptance via email and scholarship via email a few seconds after

My question:
What has everyone heard anything about on-campus vs. off-campus housing?

Congrats to the accepted & good luck to those still waiting!

Iceman389

Bronze

Post by Iceman389 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:25 pm

Anyone have any sense of when they will make decisions on held applications?

Justathought

Silver

Post by Justathought » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:31 pm

aei0u wrote:Accepted on 2/7 (app completed on 1/19)

My question:

Well on-campus is obviously close, and its affordable. Big pluses. However, I've heard its mostly dorm style living. I'll leaning heavily toward Rutgers at the moment, but if I attend I would likely suck it up and live in Hoboken. Its more expensive but tolerable for someone like myself, i.e. 30 years old and not about to live in a dorm again!

Edit: One more thing, in case you didn't know. Rutgers grades on a 3.0 curve, so your scholarship essentially requires top 50%. I don't think that's harsh at all, just something to be aware of.
Last edited by Justathought on Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Justathought

Silver

Post by Justathought » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:33 pm

Iceman389 wrote:Anyone have any sense of when they will make decisions on held applications?
No idea, but you should email Dean Walton if you get too antsy. She is so friendly it isn't funny.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

simonmulletxcore

New

Post by simonmulletxcore » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:34 pm

Justathought wrote:
Iceman389 wrote:Anyone have any sense of when they will make decisions on held applications?
No idea, but you should email Dean Walton if you get too antsy. She is so friendly it isn't funny.

I agree, if you are concerned or antsy ask Dean Walton. She's amazingly nice and answers emails pretty quickly. I've been really impressed overall with how nice everyone at Rutgers has been answering my questions so far.

lawfreak

Bronze

Post by lawfreak » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:44 pm

aei0u wrote:Accepted on 2/7 (app completed on 1/19)

My question:

Would you mind sharing your stats? You can PM me if you want to keep it confidential.

lawfreak

Bronze

Post by lawfreak » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:54 pm

I heard from a friend that anti-semitism is a real serious problem at Rutgers. At first I thought this was just an exaggeration. That was until I was shocked to see the results that came up when I googled it.

Does anyone here know how bad it really is over there? Is it really a problem?

don_geis

New

Post by don_geis » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:29 am

lawfreak wrote:
don_geis wrote:

Thanks

Thanks, does it matter whether I apply to part or full-time in terms of chances this late in the game?

I was also wondering whether it is possible to solicit a fee waiver from Rutgers-Newark?
I applied to the full time program. I would imagine that chances of admission to the part time program at this point in the cycle are similar. Bottom line, its definitely worth it to apply if you are interested.

Not sure about the fee waiver.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Justathought

Silver

Post by Justathought » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:47 am

lawfreak wrote: I heard from a friend that anti-semitism is a real serious problem at Rutgers. At first I thought this was just an exaggeration. That was until I was shocked to see the results that came up when I googled it.

Well I'm visiting Rutgers on Friday, so I'll report back and let you know.

I will say this though - A lot of state universities tend to have very diverse politics and vocal student bodies. Rutgers, like Berkeley, for example, is known for its emphasis on social justice. Reputations such as this will often draw students with near radical leftist viewpoints. Honestly, I doubt you would see any anti-Semitic behavior directed at the student body, but I do think you may end up seeing a fair amount of protests denouncing the dynamics of the U.S.-Israeli relationship - just as you would likely see protests on a wide variety of other issues.

As for the law school itself - its an insular community from what I've been told, and there are certainly Jewish faculty. Dean Walton (I have no idea if she is Jewish), even came from Cardozo prior to her time at Rutgers. I don't think there will be any rhetoric in class or at school events which would make anyone feel uncomfortable.

I do think the administration will lean toward the left though, which is common at most universities. Heck, I went to the State University of New York at Albany, and we had tons of protests. Viewpoints left of center were common. Harvey Milk, an alumni of SUNY Albany, was postered all over the campus. There were like 3 Harvey Milk Posters for every poster of another famous alum - I always got a kick out of that.

Edit: Grammar and then to add "Edit:Grammar" :wink:
Last edited by Justathought on Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

lawfreak

Bronze

Post by lawfreak » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:07 am

Justathought wrote:
lawfreak wrote: I heard from a friend that anti-semitism is a real serious problem at Rutgers. At first I thought this was just an exaggeration. That was until I was shocked to see the results that came up when I googled it.

Well I'm visiting Rutgers on Friday, so I'll report back and let you know.

I will say this though - A lot of state universities tend to have very diverse politics and vocal student bodies. Rutgers, like Berkeley, for example, is known for its emphasis on social justice. Reputations such as this will often draw students with near radical leftist viewpoints. Honestly, I doubt you would see any anti-Semitic behavior directed at the student body, but I do think you may end up seeing a fair amount of protests denouncing the dynamics of the U.S.-Israeli relationship - just as you would likely see protests on a wide variety of other issues.

As for the law school itself - its an insular community from what I've been told, and there are certainly Jewish faculty. Dean Walton (I have no idea if she is Jewish), even came from Cardozo prior to her time at Rutgers. I don't there will be any rhetoric in class or at school events that would make anyone feel uncomfortable.

I do think the administration will lean toward the left though, which is common at most universities. Heck, I went to the State University of New York at Albany, and we had tons of protests. Viewpoints left of center were common. Harvey Milk, an alumni of SUNY Albany, was postered all over the campus. There were like 3 Harvey Milk Posters for every poster of another famous alum - I always got a kick out of that.
Thanks!

solarae

Bronze

Post by solarae » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:13 am

don_geis wrote:
lawfreak wrote:
don_geis wrote:

Thanks

I applied to the full time program. I would imagine that chances of admission to the part time program at this point in the cycle are similar. Bottom line, its definitely worth it to apply if you are interested.

Not sure about the fee waiver.
All I did was email and ask for a waiver and they sent one the next day.

NJLawGirl520

New

Post by NJLawGirl520 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:37 pm

I applied part-time because of my low GPA and once I got in, I sent Ms. Walton an email asking when is the earliest that I can transfer to full-time. She contacted the admission committee and emailed me back, and they just transfered me to the Full-time program. She said its better to start there if thats what you really want.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sbmr12

New

Post by sbmr12 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:48 pm

I'm going to visit the campus on the March 25 Open House day and hopefully get a feel for the area. Does anyone know where the majority of students who go to Rutgers live? I am from Texas and am pretty unfamiliar with NJ, so any advice would be appreciated.

Justathought

Silver

Post by Justathought » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:14 pm

sbmr12 wrote:I'm going to visit the campus on the March 25 Open House day and hopefully get a feel for the area. Does anyone know where the majority of students who go to Rutgers live? I am from Texas and am pretty unfamiliar with NJ, so any advice would be appreciated.
A lot of people live in Hoboken and Jersey City, many others commute from the various suburbs which make up most of the state. On campus housing is also an option, if you don't mind dorm style living. I would stay away from off campus housing in Newark.

I recommend Hoboken. For slightly more than the dorms (not including added travel expenses), you can live in a safe little city that's filled with people in their 20s and 30s, and is only 20 minutes to NYC via public transportation.

sbmr12

New

Post by sbmr12 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:17 pm

Justathought wrote:
sbmr12 wrote:I'm going to visit the campus on the March 25 Open House day and hopefully get a feel for the area. Does anyone know where the majority of students who go to Rutgers live? I am from Texas and am pretty unfamiliar with NJ, so any advice would be appreciated.
A lot of people live in Hoboken and Jersey City, many others commute from the various suburbs which make up most of the state. On campus housing is also an option, if you don't mind dorm style living. I would stay away from off campus housing in Newark.

I recommend Hoboken. For slightly more than the dorms (not including added travel expenses), you can live in a safe little city that's filled with people in their 20s and 30s, and is only 20 minutes to NYC via public transportation.
Thanks for your help! I'll be sure to check out those areas when I visit.

Justathought

Silver

Post by Justathought » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:47 pm

sbmr12 wrote:
Justathought wrote:

Thanks for your help! I'll be sure to check out those areas when I visit.
No problem. Check out craigslist for an idea of an idea of prices. Search NJ - North Jersey-Rooms/Shared - Hoboken. Prices are around 750 - $1500. The latter price is very expensive, but will get you a luxury apartment on the water with amazing views of the NYC. I would not recommend that for a law student unless you have all sorts of disposable income. Also, use Google Maps for a street view of areas in Hoboken. This should give you an idea of the area before you visit.

Edit: You will probably want a roommate or two to save on rent. That's why I suggested looking for rooms/shared. In this general area, anywhere worth living will cost at least $1100 dollars without roommates.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Justathought

Silver

Post by Justathought » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:02 pm

So I'm going on a tour tomorrow. Is it horrible to try and take pictures while I'm there? I feel like there aren't enough good pics of the law school on the web and I would like to post some for those of you considering the school.

What do you think, frowned upon or good to go?

solarae

Bronze

Post by solarae » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:44 pm

Justathought wrote:So I'm going on a tour tomorrow. Is it horrible to try and take pictures while I'm there? I feel like there aren't enough good pics of the law school on the web and I would like to post some for those of you considering the school.

please do! just post them in a different thread.

simonmulletxcore

New

Post by simonmulletxcore » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:46 pm

Justathought wrote:So I'm going on a tour tomorrow. Is it horrible to try and take pictures while I'm there? I feel like there aren't enough good pics of the law school on the web and I would like to post some for those of you considering the school.

Please do! I can't visit until the 7th and am dying to see more of the building than what's online already.

Justathought

Silver

Post by Justathought » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:54 pm

Okay, consider it done. I'm going to stick out like a sore thumb on this tour. :mrgreen:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”