Rutgers-Newark Class of 2014 (First Acceptances are in) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
BrownBears09

Bronze

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2014 (First Acceptances are in)

Post by BrownBears09 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:18 pm

denbeaux wrote:More Rant
denbeaux = scribblehead

NJcollegestudent

Bronze

Post by NJcollegestudent » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:00 pm

I am hoping this monday we can start finding out if we are accepted or not. :?

Gold

Post by 094320 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:14 pm

jerseygirl

New

Post by jerseygirl » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:14 pm

NJcollegestudent wrote:I am hoping this monday we can start finding out if we are accepted or not. :?
Yea! That would be wonderful! (assuming we're accepted, of course) haha

masterthearts

Bronze

Post by masterthearts » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:30 pm

jerseygirl wrote:
NJcollegestudent wrote:I am hoping this monday we can start finding out if we are accepted or not. :?
Well, they already accepted some people (myself)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NJcollegestudent

Bronze

Post by NJcollegestudent » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:43 pm

Masterhearts, they have accepted quite a few students already. Congratulations on your acceptance, i did not see your post before, and thus the late congratulations. I was speaking about those of us who are still waiting from November.

On a side note, Happy New Year to everyone. :)

masterthearts

Bronze

Post by masterthearts » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:46 pm

NJcollegestudent wrote:Masterhearts, they have accepted quite a few students already. Congratulations on your acceptance, i did not see your post before, and thus the late congratulations. I was speaking about those of us who are still waiting from November.
I wish you lots of luck and hope you get accepted, too.

NJcollegestudent

Bronze

Post by NJcollegestudent » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:46 pm

jerseygirl wrote:

I guess you did not receive a decision before the christmas holiday either. Have you heard back from other schools?

jerseygirl

New

Post by jerseygirl » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:44 am

NJcollegestudent wrote:
jerseygirl wrote:

I guess you did not receive a decision before the christmas holiday either. Have you heard back from other schools?

No unfortunately I have not heard back from anyone yet. However, I am not surprised as the only other schools I applied to were Seton Hall and New York Law School and they both say that they do not begin issuing admissions decisions until mid January.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LadyG

New

Post by LadyG » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:31 pm

Hi everyone,

Hope you all had a nice New Year. I was just wondering if anyone applied to Rutgers-Newark and checked the option to be evaluated based on work and life experience...

?

NJcollegestudent

Bronze

Post by NJcollegestudent » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:34 pm

I did not, however, i do remember that as an option. It is a very good choice, as it allows for an applicant to show other sides of the application instead of just one.

NJLawGirl520

New

Post by NJLawGirl520 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:04 pm

I checked the experience box. I am a traditional student and do not have much full-time work experience but I have a lot of internships and a "DECENT" adversity story.

AmericaninManchuria

New

Post by AmericaninManchuria » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:36 am

I still haven't sent my app in, as I am waiting for my Lsat score to come in this week (if it ever comes). I do not know which of those boxes to choose. I actually don't like that they even ask...does it mean they are going to slightly ignore the criteria of the box you didn't choose?

I have a lot of non-profit work experience from college, and I'm teaching in China now, but I don't know what I'm up against...

I want to check the box that says, "Place focus on whatever impresses you most."

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

AmericaninManchuria

New

Post by AmericaninManchuria » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:42 am

I was just contemplating this some more...do I have to even check a box? Does it look bad if I leave both blank? Honestly, I would say my stats and experience are probably on par...

LadyG

New

Post by LadyG » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:03 am

I do not know if you necessarily have to check it, but it would probably be best to check one or the other so it is not misread as being overlooked on your end. If you are unsure (and this is just an opinion), check off the standard GPA/LSAT box which essentially every admissions committee really relies on anyway. Your work experience, etc, will still not be ignored. Frankly, I imagine that regardless of whatever box you check, the GPA, LSAT and experience still all have weight- I just do not know how it is redistributed- if at all. It was an interesting option on the application.

I had chosen the work/experience box as I am a 30 yr old applicant and had a strong and interesting work history, so I thought that may offer something a little different. My GPA is still good and I made that decision even before the Oct LSAT. That was the only reason I selected that option and just wondered myself if it really mattered. I have read in multiple places, though, that they truly do consider other qualities in applicants on top of the LSAT and GPA so I would put some faith in it.

That being said, I would definitely pick one or the other. You would never want it to look like you simply missed it... and do not let it throw you off. I am sure you will be evaluated completely anyway and you will be fine! Best of luck and Happy New Year!

get it to x

Bronze

Post by get it to x » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:59 pm

LadyG wrote:I do not know if you necessarily have to check it, but it would probably be best to check one or the other so it is not misread as being overlooked on your end. If you are unsure (and this is just an opinion), check off the standard GPA/LSAT box which essentially every admissions committee really relies on anyway. Your work experience, etc, will still not be ignored. Frankly, I imagine that regardless of whatever box you check, the GPA, LSAT and experience still all have weight- I just do not know how it is redistributed- if at all. It was an interesting option on the application.

I had chosen the work/experience box as I am a 30 yr old applicant and had a strong and interesting work history, so I thought that may offer something a little different. My GPA is still good and I made that decision even before the Oct LSAT. That was the only reason I selected that option and just wondered myself if it really mattered. I have read in multiple places, though, that they truly do consider other qualities in applicants on top of the LSAT and GPA so I would put some faith in it.

That being said, I would definitely pick one or the other. You would never want it to look like you simply missed it... and do not let it throw you off. I am sure you will be evaluated completely anyway and you will be fine! Best of luck and Happy New Year!
Students are not privy to the inner workings of the admissions process, but we do have a general feel for how the process goes and the boxes were definitely a topic of conversation at Orientation from what I can remember. If you check the work/alternative emphasis box, they are not going disregard your GPA/LSAT combination. The school is looking to make a significant jump in the rankings and taking the above approach doesn't help in that regard at all. Rutgers does have, as I'm sure you're aware of, a significant commitment to diversity whether it's ethnic, racial, socioeconomic, even age and puts its money where its mouth is in this regard. If your numbers are slightly off, you can guarantee that the admissions committee will actually read your application thoroughly instead of flat out rejecting you because you don't fit their numerical scheme. The difference between RU's admissions process and other schools is precisely that there are no cutoffs and they will take a holistic approach in assessing your candidacy for admission. Either box is really not going to exclude the committee from taking the unchecked option into account. Hope this clears up any misconceptions.

dat209

New

Post by dat209 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:06 pm

In via email to part-time program with 6K scholarship.

LSAT: 164
GPA: 3.74
BS Electrical Engineering
MS Electrical Engineering
2 Years work experience

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

NicRen

New

Post by NicRen » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:16 pm

I checked the LSAT-GPA box and I am a splitter. For those not memorizing every acceptance in this thread, I was accepted with 8k a year in scholarship money.

You have the advantage of knowing what their medians are for LSAT and GPA and if you are above at least one of them I would do what I did and check the LSAT-GPA box. HTH. Good luck.

NJcollegestudent

Bronze

Post by NJcollegestudent » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:38 pm

Congratulations on your acceptance, and great resume by the way.

AmericaninManchuria

New

Post by AmericaninManchuria » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:33 am

dat209 wrote:In via email to part-time program with 6K scholarship.

LSAT: 164
GPA: 3.74
BS Electrical Engineering
MS Electrical Engineering
2 Years work experience
Why are you deciding to go from electrical engineering to law? I'm guessing law wasn't always your intended path or you are very ambitious!

lawschool12345

Bronze

Post by lawschool12345 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:42 am

applied with 3.65 158, went complete dec 19th, what do you think?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

NJcollegestudent

Bronze

Post by NJcollegestudent » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:31 pm

lawschool12345 wrote:applied with 3.65 158, went complete dec 19th, what do you think?

You are at the median for the LSAT, and above the median for GPA. You are in with some scholarship money i would guess in this case.

I am at a 153/3.98, and still waiting. :)

Paulzilla

New

Post by Paulzilla » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:32 am

Anyone have an idea when the next batch of acceptances will come now that the December scores have been released?
Last edited by Paulzilla on Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

AmericaninManchuria

New

Post by AmericaninManchuria » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:32 am

This will probably seem like a dumb question to most of you...but I just sent in my application, and paid for the LSAC report. Now my application says "Transmitted" and under report status it says "no report requested." How does this work? My application has been sent and then the law school will request the report from LSAC..then they send it to them, and then it is "complete" ??

Paulzilla

New

Post by Paulzilla » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:34 am

AmericaninManchuria wrote:This will probably seem like a dumb question to most of you...but I just sent in my application, and paid for the LSAC report. Now my application says "Transmitted" and under report status it says "no report requested." How does this work? My application has been sent and then the law school will request the report from LSAC..then they send it to them, and then it is "complete" ??
Yeah that's pretty much how I remember it going for me. It was a pretty quick turn around too.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”