UC Hastings 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
rebelx13

New

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Post by rebelx13 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:45 pm

Lasers wrote:
rebelx13 wrote:Based on what we just saw above with grants reduced because of a scholarship, if I'm sitting on grant money and loans from their financial aid offer, but i havent put a seat deposit down, am i in jeopardy of losing anything offered to me if i decide to wait until may 1? i want to give davis as much time as possible, or perhaps hastings to increase my offer (i sent a nice email to them) with a scholly or the like.
grants should not be reduced.

if you have accepted the package in your letter, you should be fine. also, they don't have scholly money as of now, but might have some after the may 1st deadline. you will probably have to put down a deposit first.
thanks, i'll be doing that tonight in that case. personally, i dont like davis' atmosphere and that's really the only school i'm still waiting on. the only reason i would go is a significantly reduced COA which i dont anticipate happening. i was just thinking not putting a deposit down might entice them to perhaps throw a little bit more at me, but i suppose not :/

dswimmer

Bronze

Post by dswimmer » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:11 pm

rebelx13 wrote:
Lasers wrote:
rebelx13 wrote:Based on what we just saw above with grants reduced because of a scholarship, if I'm sitting on grant money and loans from their financial aid offer, but i havent put a seat deposit down, am i in jeopardy of losing anything offered to me if i decide to wait until may 1? i want to give davis as much time as possible, or perhaps hastings to increase my offer (i sent a nice email to them) with a scholly or the like.

if you have accepted the package in your letter, you should be fine. also, they don't have scholly money as of now, but might have some after the may 1st deadline. you will probably have to put down a deposit first.
thanks, i'll be doing that tonight in that case. personally, i dont like davis' atmosphere and that's really the only school i'm still waiting on. the only reason i would go is a significantly reduced COA which i dont anticipate happening. i was just thinking not putting a deposit down might entice them to perhaps throw a little bit more at me, but i suppose not :/
As an update (I'm the one whose grant was reduced), the financial aid department said it has something to do with their FAFSA formula for my package and that I had "too much" aid with the grant and the scholarship. It isn't because I didn't accept the offer within an amount of time because it is all need based. It still seems odd to me that I had two offices--not simultaneously--determine that I have need and explicitly offer me an amount IN ADDITION to the other...if it is based on a formula, why didn't they check it before they offered me the scholarship to make sure that the amount was correct? It's an answer, at least, but it isn't consistent/logical...

In the school's defense, I contacted Dean Canada immediately and he got in touch right away with the financial aid office. They sent me yet another form to fill out to give them even more financial information and they are now reviewing my file. Hopefully this is matter is settled by Friday.

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:26 pm

dswimmer wrote:
rebelx13 wrote:
Lasers wrote:

As an update (I'm the one whose grant was reduced), the financial aid department said it has something to do with their FAFSA formula for my package and that I had "too much" aid with the grant and the scholarship. It isn't because I didn't accept the offer within an amount of time because it is all need based. It still seems odd to me that I had two offices--not simultaneously--determine that I have need and explicitly offer me an amount IN ADDITION to the other...if it is based on a formula, why didn't they check it before they offered me the scholarship to make sure that the amount was correct? It's an answer, at least, but it isn't consistent/logical...

In the school's defense, I contacted Dean Canada immediately and he got in touch right away with the financial aid office. They sent me yet another form to fill out to give them even more financial information and they are now reviewing my file. Hopefully this is matter is settled by Friday.
wow, sounds like a really ridiculous situation. hopefully it works out and you get your original offer.

good luck with your decision.

dswimmer

Bronze

Post by dswimmer » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:35 pm

Thanks Lasers. If I don't get the original amount, I will immediately withdraw.

jess

Post by jess » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:03 pm

Last edited by jess on Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SFnative

Bronze

Post by SFnative » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:14 pm

Jessuf wrote:So how many people are still waiting for a decision? I haven't heard a peep since the app complete e-mail in January. Starting to feel like my application got lost.
I dont think we will hear until after the May 1st deposit deadline, but I'm thinking we can forget about getting any money..
Strongly believe Im gonna get dinged or WL.. :?

jess

Post by jess » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:16 pm

Last edited by jess on Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rebelx13

New

Post by rebelx13 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:56 am

Jessuf wrote:
SFnative wrote:
Jessuf wrote:So how many people are still waiting for a decision? I haven't heard a peep since the app complete e-mail in January. Starting to feel like my application got lost.
I dont think we will hear until after the May 1st deposit deadline, but I'm thinking we can forget about getting any money..
I'm ok with not getting any money, but I am an auto-reject according to LSN. All of this waiting is giving me false hope!
If it makes you feel any better, LSN said I was auto reject (non URM) but I got in (LEOP)!

ProfitsProphets

Bronze

Post by ProfitsProphets » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:36 am

rebelx13 wrote:
Jessuf wrote:
SFnative wrote:
I'm ok with not getting any money, but I am an auto-reject according to LSN. All of this waiting is giving me false hope!
If it makes you feel any better, LSN said I was auto reject (non URM) but I got in (LEOP)!
Congrats rebel on getting in; LEOP is awesome! I agree, the wait does lend itself to wondering our fate. I'm definitely auto-reject, according to TLS and everyone else, yet I haven't heard a word (also LEOP, URM, compelling case for admission). I have yet to "feel" anything other than "I'm In." I want to keep believing that!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ProfitsProphets

Bronze

Post by ProfitsProphets » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:38 am

Admission withdrawals=reallocated revenue. Food for thought.

TIMEATELL

New

Post by TIMEATELL » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:06 am

Anyone experiencing technical difficulties while trying to access the ePay page on the Hastings website? For some reason, the page isn't loading.

expat17

New

Post by expat17 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:09 am

SFnative wrote:

the deposit deadline is May 31st.

amissionsix

New

Post by amissionsix » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:45 am

expat17 wrote:
the deposit deadline is May 31st.
It's May 1st.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rebelx13

New

Post by rebelx13 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:59 pm

@Profits Thanks! I'm a bit worried about how time intensive the actual LEOP program is going to be. I'm not too much of a study-group kind of person as I feel that I study best alone, but I have a feeling that LEOP is actually going to be quite beneficial and that I should be glad I'm in the program.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:12 pm

Anyone know the time frame for finding about classes, buying books, etc? I'm going to be abroad for the whole summer so I'm just thinking now about how annoying it will be to figure these things out while I'm traveling.

nicmic005

New

Post by nicmic005 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:15 pm

How is everyone doing on housing? Just decided on Hastings and saw that they require a $300 non-refundable down to apply to the tower. Is it even worth applying this late? I don't have $300 to just throw away. Anyone in the same boat? Where have people been looking?

bountyxhunter

New

Post by bountyxhunter » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:54 pm

nicmic005 wrote:How is everyone doing on housing? Just decided on Hastings and saw that they require a $300 non-refundable down to apply to the tower. Is it even worth applying this late? I don't have $300 to just throw away. Anyone in the same boat? Where have people been looking?
If you don't get a spot, you get you're money back.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

auroojgulzar

New

Post by auroojgulzar » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:02 pm

has anyone been waitlisted at hastings and heard anything?

Mike088

Bronze

Post by Mike088 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:03 pm

nicmic005 wrote:How is everyone doing on housing? Just decided on Hastings and saw that they require a $300 non-refundable down to apply to the tower. Is it even worth applying this late? I don't have $300 to just throw away. Anyone in the same boat? Where have people been looking?
SF is so darn pricey, so housing was my biggest worry about attending Hastings. The tower i think was like 950 for a 250 sq foot room which is so tiny! Thankfully a couple friends i met in undergrad are now working and living in SF so it looks like i will be able to jump in with them at their apartment for a pretty darn cheap price.

ldjohnson4

New

Post by ldjohnson4 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:14 am

My boyfriend graduated from Hastings in 09. He was part of the LEOP program. You are not required to participate in the study sessions ect... However, like you said it is totally to your benefit. The program has a strong emphasis on preparing you for testing, which as you know is the sole determination of your grade..i.e. future. =)
I am also in the LEOP program and I am looking forward to the extra help in any way shape or form!
rebelx13 wrote:@Profits Thanks! I'm a bit worried about how time intensive the actual LEOP program is going to be. I'm not too much of a study-group kind of person as I feel that I study best alone, but I have a feeling that LEOP is actually going to be quite beneficial and that I should be glad I'm in the program.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!

plin

New

Post by plin » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:29 am

auroojgulzar wrote:has anyone been waitlisted at hastings and heard anything?
doubt we'll hear anything until at least after the 1st deposit date so probably late may/june would be the earliest

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Mike088

Bronze

Post by Mike088 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:05 pm

I forgot my username/pass for the admitted students website lol. Should i email admissions?

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:08 pm

Mike088 wrote:I forgot my username/pass for the admitted students website lol. Should i email admissions?
Isn't it the same for everyone or are you talking about your admit number?

Mike088

Bronze

Post by Mike088 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:30 pm

I think they had us put in our id number and put in a password after the default universal name/pass.

Mike088

Bronze

Post by Mike088 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:33 pm

nvm pulled out my acceptance folder and found the paper. you are correct.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”