UC Hastings 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Lasers

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby Lasers » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:16 pm

i actually emailed hastings, and the assistant dean responded, saying that there might be more money after the may 1st deposit.

he also noted i was on "his radar" and seemed to be pretty genuine. he even brought up something from my personal statement.

i think i'll put my deposit down sooner than later.

rebelx13

Postby rebelx13 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:09 am

when i emailed them, i got a student assistant. guess i'm not worthy enough :(

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:15 am

rebelx13 wrote:when i emailed them, i got a student assistant. guess i'm not worthy enough :(

who did you email? i contacted financial aid.

maybe luck of the draw?

regardless, sounds like they don't have any available scholly funds at this moment.

lucield

Postby lucield » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:21 am

does hastings not accepted letters of continued interest? i emailed asking about it, and an Admissions Office Student Assistant told me they don't. I just wanted to verify if this was correct information.

ProfitsProphets

Postby ProfitsProphets » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:21 pm

lucield wrote:does hastings not accepted letters of continued interest? i emailed asking about it, and an Admissions Office Student Assistant told me they don't. I just wanted to verify if this was correct information.

The application instructions are pretty clear, as well as the complete email we receive, Hastings doesn't want supplemental material sent to them after the fact. They confirmed this to you after your inquiry. Don't give them a reason to reject you.

rebelx13

Postby rebelx13 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:08 pm

Lasers wrote:
rebelx13 wrote:when i emailed them, i got a student assistant. guess i'm not worthy enough :(

maybe luck of the draw?

regardless, sounds like they don't have any available scholly funds at this moment.

i hit admissions...i read somewhere on here that admissions was the way to go. should i resent the email to financial aid? the student assistant did mention that she put a note on my account about my request for more aid though...

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:10 pm

rebelx13 wrote:
Lasers wrote:

maybe luck of the draw?

i hit admissions...i read somewhere on here that admissions was the way to go. should i resent the email to financial aid? the student assistant did mention that she put a note on my account about my request for more aid though...

in that case, i would probably not email them again. it might seem a bit of an annoyance if you already got a response that they took note of your request. e-mailing another branch won't probably help.

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:32 pm

rebelx13 wrote:
Lasers wrote:

maybe luck of the draw?

I wouldn't worry about who responded or what they exactly intimated in an email or otherwise. All the offices are just fielding questions now and whoever can deal with an inquiry does. I still think contacting admissions is the most appropriate route for negotiating merit aid. The fin aid office is busy now processing awards for continuing students as well, so they have more priorities beyond enticing admitted students. If you are concerned about not having contacted the right office though, I'd send a kind email to fin aid as well, to the effect that you know they are incredibly busy this time of year, so you're writing to simply update them re. the note asking for $ placed in your file by admissions. Something to this effect. I would do this, I don't think it can really hurt you.

rebelx13

Postby rebelx13 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:41 pm

drdolittle wrote:
rebelx13 wrote:
Lasers wrote:

maybe luck of the draw?

I wouldn't worry about who responded or what they exactly intimated in an email or otherwise. All the offices are just fielding questions now and whoever can deal with an inquiry does. I still think contacting admissions is the most appropriate route for negotiating merit aid. The fin aid office is busy now processing awards for continuing students as well, so they have more priorities beyond enticing admitted students. If you are concerned about not having contacted the right office though, I'd send a kind email to fin aid as well, to the effect that you know they are incredibly busy this time of year, so you're writing to simply update them re. the note asking for $ placed in your file by admissions. Something to this effect. I would do this, I don't think it can really hurt you.

Thank you! That was really helpful (you too, Lasers). I'll send that email off right now. My financial situation has changed in the week since I heard back from them, so I can legitimtately feel "OK" about sending another email.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:05 pm

rebelx13 wrote:Thank you! That was really helpful (you too, Lasers). I'll send that email off right now. My financial situation has changed in the week since I heard back from them, so I can legitimtately feel "OK" about sending another email.

no problem. good luck; hopefully there's good news on the $$$ front for us after the may 1st deposits!

SFnative

Postby SFnative » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:06 pm

Still waiting , *sigh*

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:50 am

hi guys - there hasn't been much movement lately i guess, but to those of you who have decided, update the TLS 2014 page! the link is http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=125921 I'm tired of being the only under UCH!

dswimmer

Postby dswimmer » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:50 pm

Has anyone else had this issue?...

I was given a grant amount and then I later got a scholarship, too. I called the admissions office to make sure that it would not affect my grant and I was told that it wouldn't and that my award should be the combination of the grant amount and the scholarship amount.

Then yesterday I received an email indicating that changes had been made to my financial aid statement. When I went online to look, my grant was reduced! How can they offer me one amount and then decrease it? What should I do?

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:53 am

dswimmer wrote:Has anyone else had this issue?...

I was given a grant amount and then I later got a scholarship, too. I called the admissions office to make sure that it would not affect my grant and I was told that it wouldn't and that my award should be the combination of the grant amount and the scholarship amount.

Then yesterday I received an email indicating that changes had been made to my financial aid statement. When I went online to look, my grant was reduced! How can they offer me one amount and then decrease it? What should I do?

i posted this in your other thread, but i suspect you didn't accept the financial package in the letter?

if you did, and they still somehow reduced it, then that is extremely shady.

amissionsix

Postby amissionsix » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:15 am

They didn't do that to me...but I had accepted the aid offer prior to receiving additional $$$. Don't see why that would change anything though. That's lame.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:25 am

amissionsix wrote:

They didn't do that to me...but I had accepted the aid offer prior to receiving additional $$$. Don't see why that would change anything though. That's lame.

there's a 3 week deadline from the date it's issued. it says on the letter. that's the only reason i can think of.

Mike088

Postby Mike088 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:54 am

Put down my $500 deposit yesterday. Now that i got a pretty darn good fin aid reward i don't know think i'd go to UCD even if i do ever get off their waitlist.

amissionsix

Postby amissionsix » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:01 pm

Mike088 wrote:Put down my $500 deposit yesterday. Now that i got a pretty darn good fin aid reward i don't know think i'd go to UCD even if i do ever get off their waitlist.

Good decision!!

HopelesslyOptimistic

Postby HopelesslyOptimistic » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:23 pm

just paid my deposit! woooooo

lawfsho

Postby lawfsho » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:05 pm

Is not hearing back at all better than being on the waitlist? or is it worse? I haven't heard anything from Hastings since the first letter... so confused and worried! :cry:

ProfitsProphets

Postby ProfitsProphets » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:48 pm

lawfsho wrote:Is not hearing back at all better than being on the waitlist? or is it worse? I haven't heard anything from Hastings since the first letter... so confused and worried! :cry:

If you want to think positively, May 1st is the seat deposit deadline. This, coupled with simultaneous withdrawals, will give Hastings an idea of the incoming class and how many seats are still available.

rebelx13

Postby rebelx13 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:54 am

Based on what we just saw above with grants reduced because of a scholarship, if I'm sitting on grant money and loans from their financial aid offer, but i havent put a seat deposit down, am i in jeopardy of losing anything offered to me if i decide to wait until may 1? i want to give davis as much time as possible, or perhaps hastings to increase my offer (i sent a nice email to them) with a scholly or the like.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:15 am

rebelx13 wrote:Based on what we just saw above with grants reduced because of a scholarship, if I'm sitting on grant money and loans from their financial aid offer, but i havent put a seat deposit down, am i in jeopardy of losing anything offered to me if i decide to wait until may 1? i want to give davis as much time as possible, or perhaps hastings to increase my offer (i sent a nice email to them) with a scholly or the like.

grants should not be reduced.

if you have accepted the package in your letter, you should be fine. also, they don't have scholly money as of now, but might have some after the may 1st deadline. you will probably have to put down a deposit first.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:30 am

HopelesslyOptimistic wrote:just paid my deposit! woooooo

the more the merrier.

jspri

Postby jspri » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:33 pm

Put down my deposit.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”