UC Hastings 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lowereastside

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby lowereastside » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:02 pm

Hi, has anybody had any success negotiating from no merit aid to some merit aid? Trying to decide if it would be better to write them an email or give the fin aid office a call. I know funds are tight at hastings, but was hoping maybe I'd get lucky...

stonepeep

Postby stonepeep » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:15 pm

rebelx13 wrote:
Lasers wrote:
rebelx13 wrote:
sfGmall wrote:none of that. There is, however, a gym in the tower.

but do you have to be a tower resident or a student to use their gym?

no, you don't have to be.

You are 100% certain of this? Determines whether or not I quit my temp job, lol. Don't we have a list of amenties offered by the school? Berkeley UG gave us a list of what we would get as students.

You do not have to be a Tower resident to use the gym in the Tower. You do have to be associated with Hastings (i.e. student, faculty, or staff) to use it, however, because you have to have a Hastings ID to get into the building.

dswimmer

Postby dswimmer » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:21 pm

lowereastside wrote:Hi, has anybody had any success negotiating from no merit aid to some merit aid? Trying to decide if it would be better to write them an email or give the fin aid office a call. I know funds are tight at hastings, but was hoping maybe I'd get lucky...

I tried. They've already gone through their first round of schollys. Now it's just a waiting game to see who accepts and who passes. If they have leftover funds, they will offer $ later, but I'm guessing you will have to put your seat deposit down before that time... Good luck!

amissionsix

Postby amissionsix » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:31 pm

I was told over the phone by someone in Admissions that there should be scholarship money freed up soon and around April 15 they will start issuing it out. And if I don't hear anything by April 20, it most likely means I struck out.

Capitol hillbilly

Postby Capitol hillbilly » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:31 am

sclatin2000 wrote:I don't usually post here, but I just got the acceptance call about 10 min ago. I'm in through LEOP! I applied late in the cycle (at the deadline), so I hope this gives hope to those who are still waiting. Good Luck!

Congratulations, I would be psyched.

Mike088

Postby Mike088 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:52 pm

over slept didn't get to make it out to admitted students day =\

ProfitsProphets

Postby ProfitsProphets » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:45 pm

Looks like I survived another week of decisions. Checked the mail and nothing from Hastings. Whew! :roll:

Capitol hillbilly

Postby Capitol hillbilly » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:03 pm

ProfitsProphets wrote:Looks like I survived another week of decisions. Checked the mail and nothing from Hastings. Whew! :roll:

I agree. No news is good news at this point.

lisavj

Postby lisavj » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:05 pm

On my way back from ASD (skipped student orgs and tour since I've already had a chance to do both of those things through friends/coworkers who are students).

I will say the finaid talk made law school look much more possible ESP since gradPLUS loans can be consolidated into PICAP and IBR! Somehow that hadn't previously registered. Sadly no installment plan possibilities for tuition, but happily an affirmation that scholarship $$ gets redistributed.

Also sad I didn't get to meet ilovesf!

PM me if you want to know more.
Last edited by lisavj on Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ProfitsProphets

Postby ProfitsProphets » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:13 pm

Capitol hillbilly wrote:
ProfitsProphets wrote:Looks like I survived another week of decisions. Checked the mail and nothing from Hastings. Whew! :roll:

I agree. No news is good news at this point.

Exactly!! If we can get closer to the seat deposit deadline, or even pass it, I think that could be a positive. I'll wait for as long as necessary. :mrgreen:

Dasein 2011

Postby Dasein 2011 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:12 pm

Dinged by snail mail.

Capitol hillbilly

Postby Capitol hillbilly » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:35 pm

Dasein 2011 wrote:Dinged by snail mail.

Sorry to hear that. Good luck with plan B.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:14 am

lisavj wrote:On my way back from ASD (skipped student orgs and tour since I've already had a chance to do both of those things through friends/coworkers who are students).

I will say the finaid talk made law school look much more possible ESP since gradPLUS loans can be consolidated into PICAP and IBR! Somehow that hadn't previously registered. Sadly no installment plan possibilities for tuition, but happily an affirmation that scholarship $$ gets redistributed.

Also sad I didn't get to meet ilovesf!

PM me if you want to know more.

Aww we could have arranged to meet up if we had thought about it earlier! I wasn't feeling totally sociable today though, I accidentally stayed up way too late last night so I was kind of like a zombie, especially in the earlier parts of the day. I liked the ASD a lot though, and I'm really excited about going to Hastings! Hastings really left me with the impression that they have a great committed faculty. All of the staff I met was really nice and seemed to care a lot about the students. And after I am done writing this post I am going to put my deposit down :) If you guys have any questions I'll be happy to answer them. I went to the sessions about Student Clubs/Orgs etc and the one for Finding a job/career center information, and I stayed for the tour.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:39 pm

just a heads up: I am filling out the residency stuff now, and if you have never done it before like me, you should definitely get a head start on it. They ask for financial records, job information, and a lot of other annoying stuff you have to write down.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:54 pm

ugh, those forms seem lame.

after going to the davis ASD, i've pretty much decided to attend hastings...if i don't take a year off instead.

ProfitsProphets

Postby ProfitsProphets » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:48 pm

ilovesf wrote:just a heads up: I am filling out the residency stuff now, and if you have never done it before like me, you should definitely get a head start on it. They ask for financial records, job information, and a lot of other annoying stuff you have to write down.

And this is just the beginning....

pensky5000

Postby pensky5000 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:49 pm

Lasers wrote:ugh, those forms seem lame.

after going to the davis ASD, i've pretty much decided to attend hastings...if i don't take a year off instead.

What helped you make your decision??

Mike088

Postby Mike088 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:15 pm

All these applications are available online (residency,housing, ect) but are to be printed and submitted by snail mail right?

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:51 pm

pensky5000 wrote:
Lasers wrote:ugh, those forms seem lame.

What helped you make your decision??

they're practically the same school all things considered except for one thing: location.

LttleBlakDress

Postby LttleBlakDress » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:07 pm

stonepeep wrote:
rebelx13 wrote:
You are 100% certain of this? Determines whether or not I quit my temp job, lol. Don't we have a list of amenties offered by the school? Berkeley UG gave us a list of what we would get as students.

You do not have to be a Tower resident to use the gym in the Tower. You do have to be associated with Hastings (i.e. student, faculty, or staff) to use it, however, because you have to have a Hastings ID to get into the building.

FYI, you aren't allowed to have any job your 1L year at Hastings.

tomado321

Postby tomado321 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:23 am

Does anyone have any waitlist stats from previous years. I remember seeing some post on this topic (although the poster may have just assembled lsn stats) a while back but I can't find it.

Any info/numbers would be greatly appreciated.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:36 am

LttleBlakDress wrote:
stonepeep wrote:
rebelx13 wrote:

I wouldn't go that far, you can squeeze in a few hours a week if you get clearance. I worked 15-20 hours/week over winter break and 5 hours/week currently, but I had to get permission from the school. I know other who work as well, but had to go through some formal process first.

whathojeeves

Postby whathojeeves » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:18 am

Borhas wrote:
LttleBlakDress wrote:
stonepeep wrote:
rebelx13 wrote:

I wouldn't go that far, you can squeeze in a few hours a week if you get clearance. I worked 15-20 hours/week over winter break and 5 hours/week currently, but I had to get permission from the school. I know other who work as well, but had to go through some formal process first.

FYI -- There is a 20 hour/week max restriction on work hours that comes from the ABA, not Hastings, so applies to all 1Ls at ABA accredited schools.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:03 pm

Is this 20 hr/week restriction lifted during the summer?

Also, it seems kind of odd they care how many hours you're working when on winter break.

lemoned88

Postby lemoned88 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:13 pm

Jessuf wrote:Is this 20 hr/week restriction lifted during the summer?

Also, it seems kind of odd they care how many hours you're working when on winter break.

at the ASW they said they lift the working restriction for 1L summer. But during the 1L school year you need permission from the dean if you want to work.

Anybody else attend ASW? Thoughts? The view from the tower apartments was really great.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”