UC Hastings 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
firework
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:48 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby firework » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:41 pm

minky wrote:So I got my award email and it looks like I did not receive any grants even though I have been working for nonprofits and barely have any money saved. Does this mean I will not be getting any at all?


I'm in the exact same boat... I, too, work for a nonprofit, do not have a lot of money saved, and received no grants in my award letter.

Anyone have any info on students receiving grants not offered in the initial award letter?

User avatar
barklm
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:26 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby barklm » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:46 pm

firework wrote:
minky wrote:So I got my award email and it looks like I did not receive any grants even though I have been working for nonprofits and barely have any money saved. Does this mean I will not be getting any at all?


I'm in the exact same boat... I, too, work for a nonprofit, do not have a lot of money saved, and received no grants in my award letter.

Anyone have any info on students receiving grants not offered in the initial award letter?

For what it's worth, I actually received two separate email notifications that my FinAid award was ready for viewing. The first just had my scholarship and loan options. The second is where I got the information about my grant. They came a day or so apart.

Mike088
Posts: 224
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:10 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby Mike088 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:24 pm

just got a call 20 min ago, I'M IN!!!!!I'm sooooo happppyyy righttttt nowwwww hahaha Thank GOD!!! A reject from UCD will hurt so much less if it happens!! =)

User avatar
restless
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:51 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby restless » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:30 pm

Mike088 wrote:just got a call 20 min ago, I'M IN!!!!!I'm sooooo happppyyy righttttt nowwwww hahaha Thank GOD!!! A reject from UCD will hurt so much less if it happens!! =)


Congratulations! I would be ecstatic too. :D Hopefully I'll be in the same boat as you soon.

pensky5000
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:56 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby pensky5000 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:36 am

Mike088 wrote:just got a call 20 min ago, I'M IN!!!!!I'm sooooo happppyyy righttttt nowwwww hahaha Thank GOD!!! A reject from UCD will hurt so much less if it happens!! =)


Congratulations =)

User avatar
ProfitsProphets
Posts: 235
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:02 am

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby ProfitsProphets » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:20 pm

Mike088 wrote:just got a call 20 min ago, I'M IN!!!!!I'm sooooo happppyyy righttttt nowwwww hahaha Thank GOD!!! A reject from UCD will hurt so much less if it happens!! =)


That is so awesome!!! I would be equally estactic. Congrats!!!

User avatar
ProfitsProphets
Posts: 235
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:02 am

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby ProfitsProphets » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:21 pm

Looks like movement is happening during spring break.

Mike088
Posts: 224
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:10 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby Mike088 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:55 pm

thanks guys =) good luck too all of you!!

User avatar
Borhas
Posts: 4855
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby Borhas » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:48 pm

To anyone interested working in public interest (for 10+ years) after graduation, look up the new Hastings PICAP. It is ridiculously awesome. Basically, it'll cover up to 90-100% of your IBR payments. Meaning that if you work in PI for 10 years you will be paying almost ZERO $$ for those 10 years (and after those 10 years ALL your law school federal loans will be forgiven, without ANY tax penalty). SO AWESOME.

--LinkRemoved--

User avatar
lulucrazy
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby lulucrazy » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:02 pm

Borhas wrote:To anyone interested working in public interest (for 10+ years) after graduation, look up the new Hastings PICAP. It is ridiculously awesome. Basically, it'll cover up to 90-100% of your IBR payments. Meaning that if you work in PI for 10 years you will be paying almost ZERO $$ for those 10 years (and after those 10 years ALL your law school federal loans will be forgiven, without ANY tax penalty). SO AWESOME.

--LinkRemoved--


thanks for sharing!! another +1 for Hastings :)

User avatar
barklm
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:26 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby barklm » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:15 pm

I wrote to ask some general questions about that types of opportunities students usually take advantage of during the summer to help cover their living expenses and got the following reply:

"It is not any loans for the summer the only thing that you can do and get some money is take summer classes or apply for Work Study."

That was the entire email.

User avatar
lucky277
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:08 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby lucky277 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:25 pm

barklm wrote:I wrote to ask some general questions about that types of opportunities students usually take advantage of during the summer to help cover their living expenses and got the following reply:

"It is not any loans for the summer the only thing that you can do and get some money is take summer classes or apply for Work Study."

That was the entire email.


Was it actually that grammatically incorrect? That's alarming. On another note, I went to the Beer on the Beach event yesterday that happens every other Thursday, and it was great. The current students I talked to were really helpful and welcoming, and they raved about the close proximity to the court houses and firms in SF and how many opportunities that has opened up for them. Very cool.

gfunkera86
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:46 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby gfunkera86 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:38 pm

Just got in via admissions office phone call :)

User avatar
barklm
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:26 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby barklm » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:46 pm

lucky277 wrote:
barklm wrote:I wrote to ask some general questions about that types of opportunities students usually take advantage of during the summer to help cover their living expenses and got the following reply:

"It is not any loans for the summer the only thing that you can do and get some money is take summer classes or apply for Work Study."

That was the entire email.


Was it actually that grammatically incorrect? That's alarming. On another note, I went to the Beer on the Beach event yesterday that happens every other Thursday, and it was great. The current students I talked to were really helpful and welcoming, and they raved about the close proximity to the court houses and firms in SF and how many opportunities that has opened up for them. Very cool.

That's exactly how I feel about it! That was copied/pasted direct from the email. There was also no signature or anything to indicate who I was speaking to - that was literally the entire email I received. I wrote back clarifying what information I was looking for ... hopefully I'll receive a more helpful response soon!

User avatar
barklm
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:26 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby barklm » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:31 pm

barklm wrote:
lucky277 wrote:
barklm wrote:I wrote to ask some general questions about that types of opportunities students usually take advantage of during the summer to help cover their living expenses and got the following reply:

"It is not any loans for the summer the only thing that you can do and get some money is take summer classes or apply for Work Study."

That was the entire email.


Was it actually that grammatically incorrect? That's alarming. On another note, I went to the Beer on the Beach event yesterday that happens every other Thursday, and it was great. The current students I talked to were really helpful and welcoming, and they raved about the close proximity to the court houses and firms in SF and how many opportunities that has opened up for them. Very cool.

That's exactly how I feel about it! That was copied/pasted direct from the email. There was also no signature or anything to indicate who I was speaking to - that was literally the entire email I received. I wrote back clarifying what information I was looking for ... hopefully I'll receive a more helpful response soon!

The next response was much somewhat better in regards to grammar, but about the same overall level of helpfulness:

"About your question regarding avenues that students take advantages I can not respond and I don't know if is somebody in school that can answer this question. I think it's depend of the student."

User avatar
whathojeeves
Posts: 489
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:39 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby whathojeeves » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:45 pm

barklm wrote:
barklm wrote:
lucky277 wrote:
barklm wrote:I wrote to ask some general questions about that types of opportunities students usually take advantage of during the summer to help cover their living expenses and got the following reply:

"It is not any loans for the summer the only thing that you can do and get some money is take summer classes or apply for Work Study."

That was the entire email.


Was it actually that grammatically incorrect? That's alarming. On another note, I went to the Beer on the Beach event yesterday that happens every other Thursday, and it was great. The current students I talked to were really helpful and welcoming, and they raved about the close proximity to the court houses and firms in SF and how many opportunities that has opened up for them. Very cool.

That's exactly how I feel about it! That was copied/pasted direct from the email. There was also no signature or anything to indicate who I was speaking to - that was literally the entire email I received. I wrote back clarifying what information I was looking for ... hopefully I'll receive a more helpful response soon!

The next response was much somewhat better in regards to grammar, but about the same overall level of helpfulness:

"About your question regarding avenues that students take advantages I can not respond and I don't know if is somebody in school that can answer this question. I think it's depend of the student."


This is pretty much the level of grammar and helpfulness I have grown accustomed to when dealing with Hastings admins.

jdub
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:23 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby jdub » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:49 pm

barklm wrote:
barklm wrote:
lucky277 wrote:
barklm wrote:I wrote to ask some general questions about that types of opportunities students usually take advantage of during the summer to help cover their living expenses and got the following reply:

"It is not any loans for the summer the only thing that you can do and get some money is take summer classes or apply for Work Study."

That was the entire email.


Was it actually that grammatically incorrect? That's alarming. On another note, I went to the Beer on the Beach event yesterday that happens every other Thursday, and it was great. The current students I talked to were really helpful and welcoming, and they raved about the close proximity to the court houses and firms in SF and how many opportunities that has opened up for them. Very cool.

That's exactly how I feel about it! That was copied/pasted direct from the email. There was also no signature or anything to indicate who I was speaking to - that was literally the entire email I received. I wrote back clarifying what information I was looking for ... hopefully I'll receive a more helpful response soon!

The next response was much somewhat better in regards to grammar, but about the same overall level of helpfulness:

"About your question regarding avenues that students take advantages I can not respond and I don't know if is somebody in school that can answer this question. I think it's depend of the student."


Haha - who/what office are you emailing? Try the admissions office - they will be much more helpful/coherent.

But part of the reason you are getting a less than helpful answer is that there is no easy or obvious way to fund your summer. Some students are lucky enough to get scholarships, public interest grants, or other help their post-1L summer, but most students get by with part time jobs, savings, or are able to live below their means during the school year and have some student loan money left over for the summer. The summer before your 1L year though is really up to you. Schools can't release any grant or loan money before the semester starts, nor do they offer relocation grants to help you move. Students fund their summers in law school the same way students fund their summers in undergrad - however you can find or make the money.

User avatar
Lasers
Posts: 1576
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:46 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby Lasers » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:52 pm

hahah, i laughed at how unhelpful and incoherent those email responses were.

it's odd, because all my correspondences with hastings through e-mail have been quite the opposite.

FireNextTime
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:01 am

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby FireNextTime » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:56 pm

FYI, Class of 2010 employment data now up. See here. (LinkRemoved)

User avatar
barklm
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:26 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby barklm » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:58 pm

jdub wrote:Haha - who/what office are you emailing? Try the admissions office - they will be much more helpful/coherent.

But part of the reason you are getting a less than helpful answer is that there is no easy or obvious way to fund your summer. Some students are lucky enough to get scholarships, public interest grants, or other help their post-1L summer, but most students get by with part time jobs, savings, or are able to live below their means during the school year and have some student loan money left over for the summer. The summer before your 1L year though is really up to you. Schools can't release any grant or loan money before the semester starts, nor do they offer relocation grants to help you move. Students fund their summers in law school the same way students fund their summers in undergrad - however you can find or make the money.

Thanks! Emailing admissions will be my next step.

Btw your post is leaps and bounds more helpful than Hastings has been thus far! I was just looking for some general information - if there was a popular route, if their career office assisted with summer employment placement (not for this summer), etc.

I worked full time during my undergrad so this will be a new experience for me and I was (am?) in need of a little guidance. :)

jdub
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:23 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby jdub » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:58 pm

rebelx13 wrote:
stonepeep wrote:
lisavj wrote:
rebelx13 wrote:Does the van go as far to drop you off at the BART station? I've read conflicting things here on TLS and other forums.

I'm not sure if it does, but I can tell you the BART station is all of 3-4 blocks from Hastings, so if the radius is a mile, then they can def. make it there...


Less than that - the BART station is on the very next block, though I suppose you could count it as 2 blocks depending on which of the three entrances you take into the station. I can't really imagine anyone taking the shuttle to the BART station. I take BART every day and either walk by myself or with another person if it's late. It's really not scary.


Hmm, good info. I'm just concerned about my computer. Already been mugged once and lost valuables. Don't want that to happen again.


For those who aren't familiar with the area... the block between the bart station and Hastings is the same block that City Hall is on, that the City's gorgeous main public library is on, and its where the Wednesday farmers market is held. There are more people in suits and students carrying backpacks on this block than anything else. :)

jdub
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:23 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby jdub » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:03 pm

barklm wrote:
jdub wrote:Haha - who/what office are you emailing? Try the admissions office - they will be much more helpful/coherent.

But part of the reason you are getting a less than helpful answer is that there is no easy or obvious way to fund your summer. Some students are lucky enough to get scholarships, public interest grants, or other help their post-1L summer, but most students get by with part time jobs, savings, or are able to live below their means during the school year and have some student loan money left over for the summer. The summer before your 1L year though is really up to you. Schools can't release any grant or loan money before the semester starts, nor do they offer relocation grants to help you move. Students fund their summers in law school the same way students fund their summers in undergrad - however you can find or make the money.

Thanks! Emailing admissions will be my next step.

Btw your post is leaps and bounds more helpful than Hastings has been thus far! I was just looking for some general information - if there was a popular route, if their career office assisted with summer employment placement (not for this summer), etc.

I worked full time during my undergrad so this will be a new experience for me and I was (am?) in need of a little guidance. :)


No problem! Admissions will tell you pretty much what I told you, but yes, the career services office helps with summer placement (summer *legal* placement, anyway). Scrapping by over the summer is rough, but everyone is pretty much in the same boat. It'll all work out!

As an aside, if you're interested in public interest summer employment specifically, a great resource is HPILF, which is a student run organization that disperses a (limited) number of summer grants to students who spend their 1L or 2L summer working for a nonprofit or govt agency.

But really, your best bet, and the most popular way of getting by, is to take out loans during the year, and then try really really hard to not spend it all during the semester. :)

Also, work study is a good option (it doesn't give you any extra funds, but it helps pay down your loans). Most of the school's departments have student workers (admissions, career services, the library).

User avatar
barklm
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:26 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby barklm » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:08 pm

jdub wrote:No problem! Admissions will tell you pretty much what I told you, but yes, the career services office helps with summer placement (summer *legal* placement, anyway). Scrapping by over the summer is rough, but everyone is pretty much in the same boat. It'll all work out!

As an aside, if you're interested in public interest summer employment specifically, a great resource is HPILF, which is a student run organization that disperses a (limited) number of summer grants to students who spend their 1L or 2L summer working for a nonprofit or govt agency.

But really, your best bet, and the most popular way of getting by, is to take out loans during the year, and then try really really hard to not spend it all during the semester. :)

Also, work study is a good option (it doesn't give you any extra funds, but it helps pay down your loans). Most of the school's departments have student workers (admissions, career services, the library).

You are my new favorite person!

You pretty much told me everything that I was looking for and, what more, I could understand you. Thank you very, very much. I am interested in public interest so I'll follow-up on that tip and look into the different avenues that you mentioned so I have a better idea of what I'm getting myself into!

User avatar
lisavj
Posts: 275
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:42 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby lisavj » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:12 pm

FireNextTime wrote:FYI, Class of 2010 employment data now up. See here. (LinkRemoved)


That's quite comprehensive! And I found myself surprised at the number of Graduates clerking (whether or not that surprise is justified).

User avatar
drdolittle
Posts: 628
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:15 am

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby drdolittle » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:54 pm

barklm wrote:I wrote to ask some general questions about that types of opportunities students usually take advantage of during the summer to help cover their living expenses and got the following reply:

"It is not any loans for the summer the only thing that you can do and get some money is take summer classes or apply for Work Study."

That was the entire email.

I had a similar thing happen almost exactly a year ago while communicating with the financial aid office. A major turn off. The response I got was even less helpful and, considering I was following up on a time sensitive issue, it was an egregious reply.

Reading your emails, this is probably the same person who should be fired, or strictly prohibited from interacting with prospective students, but in UC fashion is kept on due to the bureaucracy (which I think the dean is trying to trim to save $). Fortunately, my subsequent email interactions with specific individuals in the fin aid office have been professional.

But these are some of the little things Hastings needs to clean up if it wants to stay competitive. I think the new dean's on the same page. Hopefully it won't affect your decision, it probably shouldn't.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”