UC Hastings 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
stonepeep

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby stonepeep » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:54 pm

lisavj wrote:
rebelx13 wrote:Does the van go as far to drop you off at the BART station? I've read conflicting things here on TLS and other forums.

I'm not sure if it does, but I can tell you the BART station is all of 3-4 blocks from Hastings, so if the radius is a mile, then they can def. make it there...

Less than that - the BART station is on the very next block, though I suppose you could count it as 2 blocks depending on which of the three entrances you take into the station. I can't really imagine anyone taking the shuttle to the BART station. I take BART every day and either walk by myself or with another person if it's late. It's really not scary.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:09 pm

lulucrazy wrote:
THANK YOU for all your tips and advice! I hope the majority of my future classmates will be as nice and helpful! :) Since I'm moving from out of state I most likely will just live in the tower for at least the first semester/year until I know my way around and get a feel for the city/commute.

No problem :) I'm from SF and really really love it - I just want other people to love it too!

rebelx13

Postby rebelx13 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:10 pm

stonepeep wrote:
lisavj wrote:
rebelx13 wrote:Does the van go as far to drop you off at the BART station? I've read conflicting things here on TLS and other forums.

I'm not sure if it does, but I can tell you the BART station is all of 3-4 blocks from Hastings, so if the radius is a mile, then they can def. make it there...

Less than that - the BART station is on the very next block, though I suppose you could count it as 2 blocks depending on which of the three entrances you take into the station. I can't really imagine anyone taking the shuttle to the BART station. I take BART every day and either walk by myself or with another person if it's late. It's really not scary.

Hmm, good info. I'm just concerned about my computer. Already been mugged once and lost valuables. Don't want that to happen again.

lucky277

Postby lucky277 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:37 pm

They emailed a blank award notice again just now! This whole tease of a financial aid award is getting old real quick.

ewatz

Postby ewatz » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:38 pm

lucky277 wrote:They emailed a blank award notice again just now! This whole tease of a financial aid award is getting old real quick.

+1 :/

rubbersoul89

Postby rubbersoul89 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:40 pm

Seriously?! Another blank email!!!! grrr. Maybe they will release the info by phone?

lmrcl041

Postby lmrcl041 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:46 pm

+1.. really?! First my acceptance via "the small envelope".. now two blank emails... they're taking years off my life!

dswimmer

Postby dswimmer » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:48 pm

rubbersoul89 wrote:Seriously?! Another blank email!!!! grrr. Maybe they will release the info by phone?

This is getting really unprofessional...I can understand one blank email, but two is just sloppy.

lucky277

Postby lucky277 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:50 pm

dswimmer wrote:
rubbersoul89 wrote:Seriously?! Another blank email!!!! grrr. Maybe they will release the info by phone?

This is getting really unprofessional...I can understand one blank email, but two is just sloppy.

+1. I mean honestly. Poor form, Hastings.

firework

Postby firework » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:51 pm

dswimmer wrote:This is getting really unprofessional...I can understand one blank email, but two is just sloppy.

agreed... and I would have appreciated an explanation/apology after the first one mistakenly went out.

ewatz

Postby ewatz » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:00 pm

firework wrote:
dswimmer wrote:This is getting really unprofessional...I can understand one blank email, but two is just sloppy.

agreed... and I would have appreciated an explanation/apology after the first one mistakenly went out.

i would have appreciated one too, but financial aid offices tend to not offer apologies/explanations very often in my experience

danicalifornia

Postby danicalifornia » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:20 pm

anyone tried calling to see if they will give out the necessary info over the phone? i called yesterday and they said we should have our letters in the morning. :/

ProfitsProphets

Postby ProfitsProphets » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:28 pm

lmrcl041 wrote:+1.. really?! First my acceptance via "the small envelope".. now two blank emails... they're taking years off my life!

So no phone call to supplement your letter?

KiraMarie

Postby KiraMarie » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:14 pm

Just wondering:

I applied pretty late (3/1), did anyone else on here apply as late and have you heard anything yet? I was reading in the beginning and it seems that admitted students received phone calls, is this normal practice or just in the earlier rounds? Getting nervous about my chances........

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:20 pm

KiraMarie wrote:Just wondering:

I applied pretty late (3/1), did anyone else on here apply as late and have you heard anything yet? I was reading in the beginning and it seems that admitted students received phone calls, is this normal practice or just in the earlier rounds? Getting nervous about my chances........

Last year, it was not at all uncommon to get admitted only via small envelope, without a phone call, especially relatively late in the cycle like around now. The earliest applicants/admits seemed more likely to get called last year.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:40 pm

hah, another blank e-mail! hastings, you're too funny.

:|

KiraMarie

Postby KiraMarie » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:43 pm

Thanks for the reply! How late does Hastings usually send out admission decisions? April 30th?

lucky277

Postby lucky277 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:22 pm

FINANCIAL AID AWARDS ARE OUT! Hallelujah.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:27 pm

does declining the loans affect the hastings grants received in anyway?

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:45 pm

Lasers wrote:does declining the loans affect the hastings grants received in anyway?

yes, it could

they could think you have assets/sources of income you haven't reported

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:05 pm

Borhas wrote:
Lasers wrote:does declining the loans affect the hastings grants received in anyway?

yes, it could

they could think you have assets/sources of income you haven't reported

hm.

i have no assets, income, or savings at all besides a paltry checking account, though my parents MAY decide to help chip in with more support than originally thought (to help me avoid having to take on a lot in loans); this would make one of the loan offers no longer necessary. however, if it would negatively impact the hastings grants i received, then i may reconsider in accepting my parents' willingness to provide increased support.

minky

Postby minky » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:20 pm

So I got my award email and it looks like I did not receive any grants even though I have been working for nonprofits and barely have any money saved. Does this mean I will not be getting any at all?

rebelx13

Postby rebelx13 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:07 am

i received no emails, wth!?

rebelx13

Postby rebelx13 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:49 pm

has anyone been in this position before?:

hastings fin aid office just emailed me and told me that they hadnt received my fafsa/sar or supplemental document which made me completely freak out. i checked my emails and i saw that i had indeed submitted my fafsa and received the sar in late january. i know i submitted, i have the documentation for it, i see that hastings was listed as a recipient, but for some reason, they never received the documents.

i called FA and they told me that they did have my supplement on file (then why did they email me and tell me that they didnt have it?) but no fafsa. the receptionist said that there was nothing in my file and she could forward my info to a counselor and have them take a look at my file and "download the fafsa."

my concern is that if they realize that they did indeed have my fafsa on file, or if there was a transmit error, or if there was a mixup and they lost my paperwork, and that if i did have to resubmit, it would be two months past the date i originally submitted the documents. it's way past the march deadline and i'm sure funds are low at this point in time.

if this negatively impacts my aid (and i will probably never know for certain), what can i do to mitigate this issue? how would you act in this stuation?

denisea

Postby denisea » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:40 pm

rebelx13 wrote:has anyone been in this position before?:

hastings fin aid office just emailed me and told me that they hadnt received my fafsa/sar or supplemental document which made me completely freak out. i checked my emails and i saw that i had indeed submitted my fafsa and received the sar in late january. i know i submitted, i have the documentation for it, i see that hastings was listed as a recipient, but for some reason, they never received the documents.

i called FA and they told me that they did have my supplement on file (then why did they email me and tell me that they didnt have it?) but no fafsa. the receptionist said that there was nothing in my file and she could forward my info to a counselor and have them take a look at my file and "download the fafsa."

my concern is that if they realize that they did indeed have my fafsa on file, or if there was a transmit error, or if there was a mixup and they lost my paperwork, and that if i did have to resubmit, it would be two months past the date i originally submitted the documents. it's way past the march deadline and i'm sure funds are low at this point in time.

if this negatively impacts my aid (and i will probably never know for certain), what can i do to mitigate this issue? how would you act in this stuation?

They sent me the same email. I talked to FAFSA and they said I submitted back in Feb and all UC Hastings needs is the date my FAFSA was processed and the transaction #. I emailed to UC Hastings today and hopefully they just need to download it again.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”