UC Hastings 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
SchopenhauerFTW

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:17 pm

risktaker wrote:Applied to Hastings in February but never got a complete notification. Is this normal?

You mean a message stating that your application is complete? Was everything accounted for in your LSAC account (transcript/LORs)?

risktaker

Postby risktaker » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:21 pm

SchopenhauerFTW wrote:
risktaker wrote:Applied to Hastings in February but never got a complete notification. Is this normal?

You mean a message stating that your application is complete? Was everything accounted for in your LSAC account (transcript/LORs)?

Yeah. Everything was accounted for in LSAC account. Will give them a call tomorrow.

SchopenhauerFTW

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:29 pm

risktaker wrote:
SchopenhauerFTW wrote:

Yeah. Everything was accounted for in LSAC account. Will give them a call tomorrow.

--ImageRemoved--

risktaker

Postby risktaker » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:19 pm

SchopenhauerFTW wrote:
risktaker wrote:
SchopenhauerFTW wrote:

--ImageRemoved--

lol

squirtle

Postby squirtle » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:52 am

zla2014 wrote:
stonepeep wrote:
zla2014 wrote:Is Hastings the most expensive school in America right now? I haven't checked out HYS but over $50,000 for OOS is pretty crazy.

If by "most expensive school in America" you mean "one of the least expensive law schools in California," then sure. Seriously, have you never looked at the cost of attendance of a law school before?

OOS Hastings is over $50,000 a year. Berkeley is a bit more, but not by too much. With the cost of living in the San Francisco area, expenses at Hastings and Berkeley come close to being the most expensive law schools in CA. Davis also has OOS tuition that is around the same, but it is considerably cheaper to live there. If you take cost of living into consideration UCLA, USC and Stanford would be cheaper than Berkeley and UC Hastings.

With family living in San Francisco, and me living in LA, I do know a thing or too about Cali schools. And to answer your question, yes, I have looked at the cost of attendance at a law school before.

Thank you.

So, I don't usually post on this board but I thought I would enlighten you regarding costs for the upcoming academic year. I'm a 1L at Hastings, and they just recently gave us estimates for next year's tuition. In-state costs are going up, but school plans to award more need-based scholarships to make up for the slight increase and OOS tuition is less than $50,000. They lowered OOS to remain competitive, and I believe it will be even lower than this fiscal year. Approximately $49,000 I believe.

lucky277

Postby lucky277 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:20 am

Thanks for sharing squirtle, tuition hikes at Hastings are one of my biggest concerns so this is really helpful for my decision-making. Do you know how much in-state is going to cost according to their estimates?

zla2014

Postby zla2014 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:11 pm

lucky277 wrote:Thanks for sharing squirtle, tuition hikes at Hastings are one of my biggest concerns so this is really helpful for my decision-making. Do you know how much in-state is going to cost according to their estimates?

Thank you for your info. I would like to know in-state costs too!

dswimmer

Postby dswimmer » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:28 pm

Is anyone going to the Orange County event tonight?

HopelesslyOptimistic

Postby HopelesslyOptimistic » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:43 pm

No, but I'm going to the LA one tomorrow. Is anyone here going to that? What's the dresscode? Business casual or casual?

dswimmer

Postby dswimmer » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:54 pm

HopelesslyOptimistic wrote:No, but I'm going to the LA one tomorrow. Is anyone here going to that? What's the dresscode? Business casual or casual?

I'll be wearing business casual, if that helps.

SchopenhauerFTW

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:58 pm

LOL I die a little everytime I see this thread getting bumped.

lisavj

Postby lisavj » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:34 pm

SchopenhauerFTW wrote:LOL I die a little everytime I see this thread getting bumped.

:( Sorry...rooting for ya! I was excited to see you applied this cycle...

restless

Postby restless » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:37 pm

SchopenhauerFTW wrote:LOL I die a little everytime I see this thread getting bumped.

+1. Same boat.

FireNextTime

Postby FireNextTime » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:19 pm

zla2014 wrote:
lucky277 wrote:Thanks for sharing squirtle, tuition hikes at Hastings are one of my biggest concerns so this is really helpful for my decision-making. Do you know how much in-state is going to cost according to their estimates?

Thank you for your info. I would like to know in-state costs too!

Approved 2011-12 fee for in-staters, according to e-mail from Admin earlier this week: $40,653.

That includes all fees and health insurance, which may be waived if you have other coverage. If you don't use the UC health plan and, say, are on your parents' insurance or something, fees for in-state are about $38,000.

lucky277

Postby lucky277 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:27 pm

I just went on the admitted students website and was able to click on the hyperlink for "Award Letter" for the first time. It prompted me to a login site but as far as I know I haven't received login information from Hastings. Does anyone know how to access the award? Does Hastings send you login info as you get an award?

ldjohnson4

Postby ldjohnson4 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:40 pm

Did anyone apply close to deadline hear anything back yet?

ProfitsProphets

Postby ProfitsProphets » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:34 am

ldjohnson4 wrote:Did anyone apply close to deadline hear anything back yet?

Not me. Applied 3/1. Complete 3/2. LEOP

restless

Postby restless » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:39 pm

Does Hastings send out decisions each week? I know there were a couple of waitlists last week, so I'm just wondering if we'll see any activity by tomorrow. I'm getting kinda nervous just because I have a safety deposit due April 1st, and I really would love to know before then. Though, if it came down to it, I'd still wait for Hastings and pay the $200 for the other school anyway. Sigh.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:21 pm

restless wrote:Does Hastings send out decisions each week? I know there were a couple of waitlists last week, so I'm just wondering if we'll see any activity by tomorrow. I'm getting kinda nervous just because I have a safety deposit due April 1st, and I really would love to know before then. Though, if it came down to it, I'd still wait for Hastings and pay the $200 for the other school anyway. Sigh.

maybe give them a call and ask about your situation?

it does suck that they've taken this long to make a decision for some people.

restless

Postby restless » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:18 pm

Lasers wrote:
restless wrote:Does Hastings send out decisions each week? I know there were a couple of waitlists last week, so I'm just wondering if we'll see any activity by tomorrow. I'm getting kinda nervous just because I have a safety deposit due April 1st, and I really would love to know before then. Though, if it came down to it, I'd still wait for Hastings and pay the $200 for the other school anyway. Sigh.

Yeah, it sucks, but that's something I can't control on my end. I was hoping I wouldn't have to resort to calling them because they really discourage it, but if I don't hear anything by Monday, it's going to happen.

ProfitsProphets

Postby ProfitsProphets » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:05 pm

restless wrote:
Lasers wrote:

Yeah, it sucks, but that's something I can't control on my end. I was hoping I wouldn't have to resort to calling them because they really discourage it, but if I don't hear anything by Monday, it's going to happen.

IMO, don't call (just like the complete email states: be patient). I know it sucks waiting, but you don't want to hinder your chances by calling or writing when they asked us not to do so.

restless

Postby restless » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:38 am

Agh! Must. retain. sanity. (This whole application/waiting process has me doing so much yoga, it is ridiculous. Though I guess that's not always a bad thing.)

Which brings me to an off-topic question: what do you do to keep yourself sane/calm during this time? I'm sure law school will be filled with these periods, so I'm just curious as to how everyone else deals with their stress.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:22 am

restless wrote:Agh! Must. retain. sanity. (This whole application/waiting process has me doing so much yoga, it is ridiculous. Though I guess that's not always a bad thing.)

Which brings me to an off-topic question: what do you do to keep yourself sane/calm during this time? I'm sure law school will be filled with these periods, so I'm just curious as to how everyone else deals with their stress.

Working out more often helped me relieve the stress of waiting. Also, just hanging out with my friends as much as possible. Maybe that sounds corny, but when I was having fun with other people I wasn't constantly thinking about schools. Hope you hear back soon!

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:44 pm

So Borhas (or any other current students) I was wondering if you can answer a question for me. Yesterday I met an ex Hastings student who left after first semester because she hated it. She said the main reason she didn't like it was because there was no sense of community at all and nobody hung around campus ever (no one in the library, no one in lounges, etc) and the general environment of the school was disappointing. Obviously you guys don't feel that way or I guess you would have left - but can you guys say what you think of the campus community? I'm not looking for a really tight-knit community (this isn't college again), but I do value at least a sense of community. Thanks!

lsatextreme

Postby lsatextreme » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:51 pm

ilovesf wrote:So Borhas (or any other current students) I was wondering if you can answer a question for me. Yesterday I met an ex Hastings student who left after first semester because she hated it. She said the main reason she didn't like it was because there was no sense of community at all and nobody hung around campus ever (no one in the library, no one in lounges, etc) and the general environment of the school was disappointing. Obviously you guys don't feel that way or I guess you would have left - but can you guys say what you think of the campus community? I'm not looking for a really tight-knit community (this isn't college again), but I do value at least a sense of community. Thanks!

from what i gather from a close friend who is a 1L at hastings now, it's all what you make of it. I don't think there's a close community there in the sense that not everyone is knowing everyone else at a personal level, but if you seek the people you want to be close with, then you'll find it (as long as you're not a weirdo). I feel like that student had some high (or different) expectations of what she imagined law school community to be and was in for a major disappointment.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”