UC Hastings 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Lasers

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby Lasers » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:16 pm

restless wrote:Went complete 01/25 and still crickets. Was hoping to hear something last week, but alas, it didn't happen. I just looked at my "complete" e-mail they sent me awhile back, and there isn't any mention of an April 1st deadline for decisions. Is it possible that Hastings will take longer than April 1st? I truly, truly hope this long wait will end in good news... I would LOVE to go here.

i believe the decision/first deposit deadline is in may, so it's possible they string you along even further. :?

restless

Postby restless » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:51 pm

Lasers wrote:
restless wrote:Went complete 01/25 and still crickets. Was hoping to hear something last week, but alas, it didn't happen. I just looked at my "complete" e-mail they sent me awhile back, and there isn't any mention of an April 1st deadline for decisions. Is it possible that Hastings will take longer than April 1st? I truly, truly hope this long wait will end in good news... I would LOVE to go here.

i believe the decision/first deposit deadline is in may, so it's possible they string you along even further. :?

:x Just as I feared. I had some hope that maybe they would be considerate since the safety deposits deadlines for other schools are on April 1st/15th. Oh well. I need to do more strategizing, I guess.

stonepeep

Postby stonepeep » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:57 am

zla2014 wrote:Is Hastings the most expensive school in America right now? I haven't checked out HYS but over $50,000 for OOS is pretty crazy.

If by "most expensive school in America" you mean "one of the least expensive law schools in California," then sure. Seriously, have you never looked at the cost of attendance of a law school before?

SchopenhauerFTW

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:43 am

LttleBlakDress wrote:
bb8900 wrote:Is anyone afraid of Hasting's "ghettosness?"

Seriously though, this is a place that we have to live at or commute to for 3 years and the tenderloin district is kinda...ya know....yeah.

If you're afraid of it please please please go somewhere else and tell them to give me your spot. But seriously-the tenderloin is more of a crazy homeless person kind of area than a ghetto area with violent crime/gangs/etc. That would be Bayview/Hunter's Point in SF.

HA! I laughed.

zla2014 wrote:Is Hastings the most expensive school in America right now? I haven't checked out HYS but over $50,000 for OOS is pretty crazy.

:?

Law school is expensive in general.

ProfitsProphets

Postby ProfitsProphets » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:28 am

restless wrote:
Lasers wrote:

:x Just as I feared. I had some hope that maybe they would be considerate since the safety deposits deadlines for other schools are on April 1st/15th. Oh well. I need to do more strategizing, I guess.

I think holding onto an app is better than a quick response, which is never good unless you have auto-admit #'s. Although the length they hold your app has no correlation with acceptance rates, it could possibly mean they like you and are deciding how to proceed. This is, however, the time in the cycle that many applicants submit withdrawals, seat deposits, etc., which provides Hastings a clearer picture of who is attending and who is not.

ProfitsProphets

Postby ProfitsProphets » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:38 am

bb8900 wrote:Is anyone afraid of Hasting's "ghettosness?"

Seriously though, this is a place that we have to live at or commute to for 3 years and the tenderloin district is kinda...ya know....yeah.

I have lived in the area (about 8 blks from Hastings) over the past 9 years. Am I "afraid"? No. Yes, the area is sketchy. But what urban city doesn't have sketchy areas? Unless you're walking around alone at 3 a.m., let's say, looking for drugs, there's nothing to be afraid of. You should be more afraid of earthquakes than being accosted by a stranger. However, I would say that many law schools are located in deteriorated area of their respective cities. Why? Because the school was built before the area declined.

Compose

Postby Compose » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:55 am

ProfitsProphets wrote:Unless you're walking around alone at 3 a.m., let's say, looking for drugs, there's nothing to be afraid of.

What if I'm looking for my dog? What if my dog's name is 'Drugs'?
ProfitsProphets wrote:You should be more afraid of earthquakes than being accosted by a stranger.

From my understanding of the city, you should be more afraid of beards than of either of these things. Luckily, I have a beard of my own and so I'll be perfectly comfortable should Hastings decide to accept me.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:57 am

Compose wrote:From my understanding of the city, you should be more afraid of beards than of either of these things. Luckily, I have a beard of my own and so I'll be perfectly comfortable should Hastings decide to accept me.

FEAR THE BEARD!!!

ProfitsProphets

Postby ProfitsProphets » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:05 pm

ilovesf wrote:
Compose wrote:From my understanding of the city, you should be more afraid of beards than of either of these things. Luckily, I have a beard of my own and so I'll be perfectly comfortable should Hastings decide to accept me.

FEAR THE BEARD!!!

Ditto!! My beard keeps me warm and unafraid.

zla2014

Postby zla2014 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:07 pm

stonepeep wrote:

If by "most expensive school in America" you mean "one of the least expensive law schools in California," then sure. Seriously, have you never looked at the cost of attendance of a law school before?

OOS Hastings is over $50,000 a year. Berkeley is a bit more, but not by too much. With the cost of living in the San Francisco area, expenses at Hastings and Berkeley come close to being the most expensive law schools in CA. Davis also has OOS tuition that is around the same, but it is considerably cheaper to live there. If you take cost of living into consideration UCLA, USC and Stanford would be cheaper than Berkeley and UC Hastings.

With family living in San Francisco, and me living in LA, I do know a thing or too about Cali schools. And to answer your question, yes, I have looked at the cost of attendance at a law school before.

Thank you.

ProfitsProphets

Postby ProfitsProphets » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:10 pm

Compose wrote:
ProfitsProphets wrote:Unless you're walking around alone at 3 a.m., let's say, looking for drugs, there's nothing to be afraid of.

What if I'm looking for my dog? What if my dog's name is 'Drugs'?

If your free time is spent chasing after a runaway dog named Drugs, then you might want to consider attending another law school in a better area.

ProfitsProphets

Postby ProfitsProphets » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:16 pm

[quote="zla2014"]
Davis also has OOS tuition that is around the same, but it is considerably cheaper to live there.

Although cost of living should be considered, location should also play a role in where one decides to attend law school. Davis, CA vs. San Francisco, CA = no comparison.

zla2014

Postby zla2014 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:27 pm

ProfitsProphets wrote:
zla2014 wrote:Davis also has OOS tuition that is around the same, but it is considerably cheaper to live there.

Although cost of living should be considered, location should also play a role in where one decides to attend law school. Davis, CA vs. San Francisco, CA = no comparison.

lol. I actually have never been to Davis and have heard mixed things, so I cannot attest to that. lol. But San Francisco is awesome! But like everyone else right now, UC Hastings is REALLY hurting in the job prospects area. Hopefully by the time we graduate they will be doing better.

restless

Postby restless » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:32 pm

This is probably because of my blind love for San Francisco, but whenever I hear someone speak negatively of its "ghettoness," I almost feel personally offended. Lol. Ghettoness is part of a great city's character! Gotta take the good with the bad :D

mybrain

Postby mybrain » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:38 pm

Does anyone go to ASD in San Diego this evening?

MalachiConstant

Postby MalachiConstant » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:01 pm

ProfitsProphets wrote:Although cost of living should be considered, location should also play a role in where one decides to attend law school. Davis, CA vs. San Francisco, CA = no comparison.

If you live in Davis, though, you don't have to live with a vast population of people who think like this.

lemoned88

Postby lemoned88 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:03 pm

mybrain wrote:Does anyone go to ASD in San Diego this evening?

mee

ProfitsProphets

Postby ProfitsProphets » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:29 pm

restless wrote:This is probably because of my blind love for San Francisco, but whenever I hear someone speak negatively of its "ghettoness," I almost feel personally offended. Lol. Ghettoness is part of a great city's character! Gotta take the good with the bad :D

"Ghettoness" is the wrong term to describe the Civic Center and Tenderloin districts. I think the term, in general, identifies how this person may perceive financial and racial inequality. The "Ghetto" was created through concerted efforts by the FHA and banks by practicing Redlining. Yet, to use this term, suggest that the "person" who populates this area is responsible for their plight, regardless of systematic segregation and discrimination. To me, it sounded like the person who asked this question was making a distinction about the people who live around UC Hastings-which is offensive.

And this person is a law school applicant, a future leader of tomorrow.

ProfitsProphets

Postby ProfitsProphets » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:31 pm

MalachiConstant wrote:
ProfitsProphets wrote:Although cost of living should be considered, location should also play a role in where one decides to attend law school. Davis, CA vs. San Francisco, CA = no comparison.

If you live in Davis, though, you don't have to live with a vast population of people who think like this.

I grew up in the Central Valley (Fresno), so I think I know a little something about what it's like to live in the San Joaquin Valley, which includes Davis, CA: Hot, boring, Hot, conservative, Hot, blind-religion, Hot...oh, did I mention it is really HOT!!

My response was mostly regarding the weather, but Culture is equally important.

whathojeeves

Postby whathojeeves » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:46 pm

ProfitsProphets wrote:
MalachiConstant wrote:

I grew up in the Central Valley (Fresno), so I think I know a little something about what it's like to live in the San Joaquin Valley, which includes Davis, CA: Hot, boring, Hot, conservative, Hot, blind-religion, Hot...oh, did I mention it is really HOT!!

Davis also purportedly has the state's highest pollen count in the air thanks to all that lovely agricultural land + very little wind. My grandmother is a retired academic in Davis and one of her botanist professor friends told me this. I completely believe it as I pretty much stop breathing in Davis between March and November.

ProfitsProphets

Postby ProfitsProphets » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:50 pm

whathojeeves wrote:
ProfitsProphets wrote:
MalachiConstant wrote:

Davis also purportedly has the state's highest pollen count in the air thanks to all that lovely agricultural land + very little wind. My grandmother is a retired academic in Davis and one of her botanist professor friends told me this. I completely believe it as I pretty much stop breathing in Davis between March and November.

Thank you!!

restless

Postby restless » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:06 pm

Lol, considering how bad my allergies are just in San Jose, I can only imagine the hell I'd endure in Davis. That said, it's still a great school.

ProfitsProphets

Postby ProfitsProphets » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:33 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Home_ ... ng_map.jpg

A visual re: Redlining and how practicing it defined who lived where. This will help people understand why they have legitimate concerns about safety. But let's call poor neighborhoods what they really are, not identify the people subjected to this environment "ghetto," or refer to this region as having "ghettoness."

May I suggest a visit to the law school. Ask former students. Check with the University's annual incident report re: crime. Then decide if Hastings (and San Francisco) is right for you. One thing is for sure, you'll feel accepted here in the City.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:01 pm

ProfitsProphets wrote:
restless wrote:This is probably because of my blind love for San Francisco, but whenever I hear someone speak negatively of its "ghettoness," I almost feel personally offended. Lol. Ghettoness is part of a great city's character! Gotta take the good with the bad :D

"Ghettoness" is the wrong term to describe the Civic Center and Tenderloin districts. I think the term, in general, identifies how this person may perceive financial and racial inequality. The "Ghetto" was created through concerted efforts by the FHA and banks by practicing Redlining. Yet, to use this term, suggest that the "person" who populates this area is responsible for their plight, regardless of systematic segregation and discrimination. To me, it sounded like the person who asked this question was making a distinction about the people who live around UC Hastings-which is offensive.

And this person is a law school applicant, a future leader of tomorrow.

plus, even the areas in the Tenderloin aren't exactly cheap compared to the rest of the country. I think it's mostly that SF is so ridiculously gentrified that they pushed all the poor people out of the city into Oakland, but they didn't have the heart to kick out the homeless people. So instead they let them stay around the government offices in the civic center.

FWIW I don't feel unsafe walking around late at night. But, I will say that it's wise to keep your iphone in your pocket. And if you are walking around at night, please take off your head phones! If somebody is itchin for some money, then some distracted law student flashing around their expensive electronics becomes an awfully tempting target. (One of my friends had their iphone stolen)

risktaker

Postby risktaker » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:15 pm

Applied to Hastings in February but never got a complete notification. Is this normal?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”