UC Hastings 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
smartblonde87
Posts: 359
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:15 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby smartblonde87 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:51 pm

Waitlist email.
Last edited by smartblonde87 on Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
McNulty
Posts: 143
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:53 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby McNulty » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:52 pm

Hella waitlisted. Expected.

jwmalone87
Posts: 384
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:46 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby jwmalone87 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:01 pm

Just sent an email asking about merit based aid. Not expecting much back, but worth a shot...

User avatar
zla2014
Posts: 211
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:59 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby zla2014 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:07 pm

smartblonde87 wrote:Waitlist email. This one stings.


Same stats, WLed a couple weeks ago too. My condolances.

User avatar
lucky277
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:08 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby lucky277 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:10 pm

Has anyone successfully negotiated merit aid yet? I'm about to send an inquiry as I haven't heard anything yet and want to know my options. I'm not sure if I should email the Financial Aid office or the Admissions office. Any advice would be much appreciated!

jesss
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:14 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby jesss » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:21 pm

Waitlisted today via email. not too surprised.

User avatar
drdolittle
Posts: 628
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:15 am

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby drdolittle » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:25 pm

lucky277 wrote:Has anyone successfully negotiated merit aid yet? I'm about to send an inquiry as I haven't heard anything yet and want to know my options. I'm not sure if I should email the Financial Aid office or the Admissions office. Any advice would be much appreciated!

I've got no experience doing this, but if you do attempt it, definitely contact Admissions. Their role is to ensure you'll attend now that you're acepted, so they're the one to negotiate with instead of Fin Aid.

auroojgulzar
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:24 am

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby auroojgulzar » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:29 pm

got my waitlist email today. is anyone on the waitlist going to send an LOCI and or an additional letter of recommendation. I like a million questions as Im so interested in Hastings but dont know who to ask. they said dont email or call. so should I take a trip to Cali since they didn't dont visit?

UA7789
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:47 am

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby UA7789 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:57 pm

Was accepted about two months ago and will be withdrawing this week, so hopefully this opens a spot for someone on the waitlist! Good luck everyone!

orachelo
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:39 am

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby orachelo » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:34 am

UA7789 wrote:Was accepted about two months ago and will be withdrawing this week, so hopefully this opens a spot for someone on the waitlist! Good luck everyone!


Thank you so much for the people who have been accepted and are withdrawing (instead of sitting on it despite knowing you won't attend). It gives waitlisters like me some shred of hope of maybe getting off the wl and accepted.

User avatar
rubbersoul89
Posts: 70
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:55 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby rubbersoul89 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:24 am

UA7789 wrote:Was accepted about two months ago and will be withdrawing this week, so hopefully this opens a spot for someone on the waitlist! Good luck everyone!


I will also be withdrawing within the next week or two. Good luck to those of you on the waitlist, hope it helps one of you get a spot!

jwmalone87
Posts: 384
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:46 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby jwmalone87 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:51 pm

Just got shut down on my merit scholarship request. :? They said it's a possibility as other students withdraw, but that scholarships at Hastings are usually pretty rare. SF would be nice, but I'll probably send my withdrawal soon and give my spot to someone else who really wants it. Good luck all!

User avatar
lucky277
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:08 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby lucky277 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:58 pm

jwmalone87 wrote:Just got shut down on my merit scholarship request. :?


Ditto. I'm not pleased.

User avatar
restless
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:51 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby restless » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:04 pm

Complete 01/25, and crickets since then... I guess I should just be thankful I'm not rejected/WLed yet since I'm a borderline candidate. :|

FireNextTime
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:01 am

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby FireNextTime » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:33 pm

FYI: Dean today sent out note re: USNWR.

What you want to know, assuming you're on WL or still waiting to hear something:

1) "We have decided it is in everyone’s interest ... for us to strategically decrease, not increase, our incoming class size. For a law school, a smaller class is superior to a larger class."

2) "We have also changed the admissions criteria ever so slightly, adjusting the balance to weigh undergraduate grade point average more equally with standardized test scores, while still considering all aspects of each applicant. Although almost everyone who was accepted before would still be accepted now, and almost everyone who was not accepted before also would still not be accepted now, a few more students with higher grade point averages will benefit from this new approach."

There were, of course, no specifics regarding class size goal or GPA thresholds. I had a high GPA and was accepted off the WL last year. It looks like that could help out this year as well.

Good luck to all still waiting and hoping.

User avatar
tea_drinker
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:44 am

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby tea_drinker » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:51 pm

FireNextTime wrote:FYI: Dean today sent out note re: USNWR.

What you want to know, assuming you're on WL or still waiting to hear something:

1) "We have decided it is in everyone’s interest ... for us to strategically decrease, not increase, our incoming class size. For a law school, a smaller class is superior to a larger class."

2) "We have also changed the admissions criteria ever so slightly, adjusting the balance to weigh undergraduate grade point average more equally with standardized test scores, while still considering all aspects of each applicant. Although almost everyone who was accepted before would still be accepted now, and almost everyone who was not accepted before also would still not be accepted now, a few more students with higher grade point averages will benefit from this new approach."

There were, of course, no specifics regarding class size goal or GPA thresholds. I had a high GPA and was accepted off the WL last year. It looks like that could help out this year as well.

Good luck to all still waiting and hoping.


Wow, a lot of schools seem to downsize their entering class for a higher rank. What is the size of the current class? 400? or 300?

User avatar
zla2014
Posts: 211
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:59 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby zla2014 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:08 pm

tea_drinker wrote:
FireNextTime wrote:FYI: Dean today sent out note re: USNWR.

What you want to know, assuming you're on WL or still waiting to hear something:

1) "We have decided it is in everyone’s interest ... for us to strategically decrease, not increase, our incoming class size. For a law school, a smaller class is superior to a larger class."

2) "We have also changed the admissions criteria ever so slightly, adjusting the balance to weigh undergraduate grade point average more equally with standardized test scores, while still considering all aspects of each applicant. Although almost everyone who was accepted before would still be accepted now, and almost everyone who was not accepted before also would still not be accepted now, a few more students with higher grade point averages will benefit from this new approach."

There were, of course, no specifics regarding class size goal or GPA thresholds. I had a high GPA and was accepted off the WL last year. It looks like that could help out this year as well.

Good luck to all still waiting and hoping.


Wow, a lot of schools seem to downsize their entering class for a higher rank. What is the size of the current class? 400? or 300?


Not sure, but I talked to the Assistant Dean of Admissions a couple weeks ago and he told me they were aiming for a class size between 390-420

dai
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby dai » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:27 pm

Got in today through LEOP. I was sure I was rejected when I saw the mail. It came in a regular sized envelope.

Sent 2/6, complete 2/7, decision 3/15.

FireNextTime
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:01 am

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby FireNextTime » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:32 pm

zla2014 wrote:Not sure, but I talked to the Assistant Dean of Admissions a couple weeks ago and he told me they were aiming for a class size between 390-420


1L class this year is ~380.

User avatar
tea_drinker
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:44 am

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby tea_drinker » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:51 pm

FireNextTime wrote:
zla2014 wrote:Not sure, but I talked to the Assistant Dean of Admissions a couple weeks ago and he told me they were aiming for a class size between 390-420


1L class this year is ~380.


So, if they look to reduce their class size, are they looking at ~350? Or ~300?

User avatar
singingkris
Posts: 177
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:04 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby singingkris » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:58 pm

dai wrote:Got in today through LEOP. I was sure I was rejected when I saw the mail. It came in a regular sized envelope.

Sent 2/6, complete 2/7, decision 3/15.



Dai, Congrats!! They didn't call you? I wonder if all LEOP applicants are going to have to wait via mail for a decision.

denisea
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:32 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby denisea » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:10 pm

singingkris wrote:
dai wrote:Got in today through LEOP. I was sure I was rejected when I saw the mail. It came in a regular sized envelope.

Sent 2/6, complete 2/7, decision 3/15.



Dai, Congrats!! They didn't call you? I wonder if all LEOP applicants are going to have to wait via mail for a decision.


I was accepted today via phone call and got in through LEOP.
Last edited by denisea on Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
singingkris
Posts: 177
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:04 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby singingkris » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:12 pm

denisea wrote:
singingkris wrote:
dai wrote:Got in today through LEOP. I was sure I was rejected when I saw the mail. It came in a regular sized envelope.

Sent 2/6, complete 2/7, decision 3/15.



Dai, Congrats!! They didn't call you? I wonder if all LEOP applicants are going to have to wait via mail for a decision.


I got in today and it was a phone call.



Congrats to you too! May I ask if it was through LEOP?

denisea
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:32 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby denisea » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:15 pm

singingkris wrote:
denisea wrote:
singingkris wrote:
dai wrote:Got in today through LEOP. I was sure I was rejected when I saw the mail. It came in a regular sized envelope.

Sent 2/6, complete 2/7, decision 3/15.



Dai, Congrats!! They didn't call you? I wonder if all LEOP applicants are going to have to wait via mail for a decision.


I got in today and it was a phone call.



Congrats to you too! May I ask if it was through LEOP?



Yeppers.

User avatar
singingkris
Posts: 177
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:04 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby singingkris » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:18 pm

Yeppers.[/quote]

Thanks at least I know the wait is soon over. This wait is killing me. When do you send and go complete? I sent: 1/10 and went complete: 1/20.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], hip to be Square, longsh0305, SevenSeven77 and 9 guests