UC Hastings 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
rubbersoul89
Posts: 70
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:55 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby rubbersoul89 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:01 pm

I'm also still waiting, but they didn't get my Financial Need form until two days after it was due so this is probably why I'm still waiting

jwmalone87
Posts: 384
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:46 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby jwmalone87 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:29 pm

lucky277 wrote:Did anyone receive scholarship information this week? I was accepted by phone call in late January and haven't heard anything yet. Anyone else on this timeline still waiting for aid info?

Accepted right around the same time and nothing here. Filled out the supplemental form, did my FAFSA and Need Access. I'll probably give them a call Monday if I still don't get anything.

User avatar
Borhas
Posts: 4855
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby Borhas » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:49 pm

Does anyone know if Hastings bases their grants on EFC (Expected Family Contribution) and if so what is the cutoff level? I see that they give $7,000 and $15,000 grants. How many students usually receive these?


well... I don't have a lot of info, but I got 11,800 on my financial aid award letter... near winter break they sent out an email increasing my grant aid by 1000. My EFC was 0. (I wasn't special, I think they did that to everyone that got financial aid)

I think the cap was 12,800 on the award letters, so theoretically 13,800 for last year.

I've talked to a few people on TLS and at school that more or less confirm that as the general rule for last year.

But I wasn't a particularly strong candidate, my GPA was below median while my LSAT was above median so I was more or less a pretty average incoming student. Maybe the incoming students w/ better #'s got other grants... who knows?

I'd call the Financial aid office if I were you because this is not the sort of question that students can easily answer. (I assume that anyway because I generally try to avoid talking about people's personal finances in my daily life)

sinkorswm
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:33 am

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby sinkorswm » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:59 pm

Has anybody received their financial aid package yet? I'm not talking about scholarships/merit aid emails and the like. I am wondering if it will come by snail mail and how much sooner than the end of the month I can expect it.

Thanks!

nothingetsby
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:57 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby nothingetsby » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:24 pm

i applied in early november, received confirmation on 11/29/10 of my application being complete...but haven't heard anything since.

1. are many of you in the same boat?
2. is it a bad idea to contact hastings to check-in on the status?

thanks in advance!

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11779
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby ilovesf » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:18 pm

Has anyone here definitely decided on Hastings?

User avatar
rubbersoul89
Posts: 70
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:55 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby rubbersoul89 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:21 pm

ilovesf wrote:Has anyone here definitely decided on Hastings?


I'm pretty much definitely Hastings or Davis... the classic debate haha

User avatar
minky
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:17 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby minky » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:18 pm

rubbersoul89 wrote:
ilovesf wrote:Has anyone here definitely decided on Hastings?


I'm pretty much definitely Hastings or Davis... the classic debate haha


me too

nothingetsby
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:57 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby nothingetsby » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:21 pm

i applied in early november, received confirmation on 11/29/10 of my application being complete...but haven't heard anything since.

1. are many of you in the same boat?
2. is it a bad idea to contact hastings to check-in on the status?

thanks in advance!

User avatar
lisavj
Posts: 275
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:42 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby lisavj » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:59 pm

ilovesf wrote:Has anyone here definitely decided on Hastings?


If I attend law school in the fall it will be at hastings!

(other opt is one more year out one more LSAT and one more app cycle with a bit more experience under my belt)

User avatar
Lasers
Posts: 1576
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:46 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby Lasers » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:05 am

minky wrote:
rubbersoul89 wrote:
ilovesf wrote:Has anyone here definitely decided on Hastings?


I'm pretty much definitely Hastings or Davis... the classic debate haha


me too

me three.

i was leaning towards hastings, but the new meaningless rankings have scared me into rethinking which to choose once again.

bountyxhunter
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:24 am

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby bountyxhunter » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:50 am

LOOONG time lurker here. First post! I will most likely attend Hastings, regardless of the new rankings. For some reason I'm not impressed or concerned by Davis's movement. If anything I'll be deciding between USD and Hastings.

User avatar
HopelesslyOptimistic
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:36 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby HopelesslyOptimistic » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:48 pm

bountyxhunter wrote:LOOONG time lurker here. First post! I will most likely attend Hastings, regardless of the new rankings. For some reason I'm not impressed or concerned by Davis's movement.


I couldn't agree more. I'm not paying attention to the rankings, they change every year. Are you going to ASD? I'll be at the April 9th one :)

User avatar
HopelesslyOptimistic
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:36 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby HopelesslyOptimistic » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:54 pm

Oh and I have a question for everyone who is most likely attending, or really considering attending Hastings. Have you guys looked into housing much? I know there's the tower next to the school, which is very convenient, but as a female I don't know if I want to live there and have to go home at night. Yes I know, just make sure you don't walk alone blah blah blah, but let's be honest, if you're living there for a year there are going to be a few random occasions where you're out somewhere late at night and need to come home alone. So are any of you considering housing elsewhere in SF? Is the tower more affordable so it makes sense to just live there and just be careful? If any current or past Hastings students can shed some light I'd appreciate it as well.

User avatar
rubbersoul89
Posts: 70
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:55 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby rubbersoul89 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:01 pm

HopelesslyOptimistic wrote:Oh and I have a question for everyone who is most likely attending, or really considering attending Hastings. Have you guys looked into housing much? I know there's the tower next to the school, which is very convenient, but as a female I don't know if I want to live there and have to go home at night. Yes I know, just make sure you don't walk alone blah blah blah, but let's be honest, if you're living there for a year there are going to be a few random occasions where you're out somewhere late at night and need to come home alone. So are any of you considering housing elsewhere in SF? Is the tower more affordable so it makes sense to just live there and just be careful? If any current or past Hastings students can shed some light I'd appreciate it as well.


I've also been thinking about the safety of the tower vs. living elsewhere (I'm a girl too). But my concern is whether I would want to commute out of the tenderloin at night. Hastings has security escorts who can walk you back to the tower but I doubt they do the same to the BART station... what if we get out of class or the library late?

User avatar
minky
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:17 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby minky » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:03 pm

rubbersoul89 wrote:
HopelesslyOptimistic wrote:Oh and I have a question for everyone who is most likely attending, or really considering attending Hastings. Have you guys looked into housing much? I know there's the tower next to the school, which is very convenient, but as a female I don't know if I want to live there and have to go home at night. Yes I know, just make sure you don't walk alone blah blah blah, but let's be honest, if you're living there for a year there are going to be a few random occasions where you're out somewhere late at night and need to come home alone. So are any of you considering housing elsewhere in SF? Is the tower more affordable so it makes sense to just live there and just be careful? If any current or past Hastings students can shed some light I'd appreciate it as well.


I've also been thinking about the safety of the tower vs. living elsewhere (I'm a girl too). But my concern is whether I would want to commute out of the tenderloin at night. Hastings has security escorts who can walk you back to the tower but I doubt they do the same to the BART station... what if we get out of class or the library late?



Is there any neighborhood in SF where it would be safe to return home late at night alone? The fact that I have to worry about this is making Hastings less appealing.....

User avatar
lucky277
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:08 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby lucky277 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:16 pm

minky wrote:
rubbersoul89 wrote:
HopelesslyOptimistic wrote:Oh and I have a question for everyone who is most likely attending, or really considering attending Hastings. Have you guys looked into housing much? I know there's the tower next to the school, which is very convenient, but as a female I don't know if I want to live there and have to go home at night. Yes I know, just make sure you don't walk alone blah blah blah, but let's be honest, if you're living there for a year there are going to be a few random occasions where you're out somewhere late at night and need to come home alone. So are any of you considering housing elsewhere in SF? Is the tower more affordable so it makes sense to just live there and just be careful? If any current or past Hastings students can shed some light I'd appreciate it as well.


I've also been thinking about the safety of the tower vs. living elsewhere (I'm a girl too). But my concern is whether I would want to commute out of the tenderloin at night. Hastings has security escorts who can walk you back to the tower but I doubt they do the same to the BART station... what if we get out of class or the library late?


I don't think there's any reason to live in the Tenderloin with public transportation so accessible from campus. BART/muni is literally a five minute walk away. I live in Haight Ashbury now and definitely don't plan on moving just to shorten my commute by 10 minutes. My quality of life will be much happier in a different neighborhood. SF is just like any other big city in that there are good and bad parts, so don't let the Tenderloin deter you from going there. You don't have to spend every waking moment on campus, and if you're worried about staying there late studying, just study at home instead. With regard to safety, just be smart and aware when walking around. I'm from here and work in downtown Oakland and have never felt scared for my life in either location.

User avatar
nematoad
Posts: 421
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:06 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby nematoad » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:23 pm

ilovesf wrote:Has anyone here definitely decided on Hastings?


pretty much set to go. still thinking about fordham, but i doubt it.

bountyxhunter
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:24 am

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby bountyxhunter » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:33 pm

HopelesslyOptimistic wrote:
bountyxhunter wrote:LOOONG time lurker here. First post! I will most likely attend Hastings, regardless of the new rankings. For some reason I'm not impressed or concerned by Davis's movement.


I couldn't agree more. I'm not paying attention to the rankings, they change every year. Are you going to ASD? I'll be at the April 9th one :)


I'll be attending ASD on the 26th! I'm excited to visit Frisco again.

As far as housing... I put in a deposit for the tower just in case. I'm actually looking to live elsewhere. Just don't know where yet though.

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11779
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby ilovesf » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:37 pm

minky wrote:


Is there any neighborhood in SF where it would be safe to return home late at night alone? The fact that I have to worry about this is making Hastings less appealing.....

um yes. Like any big cities of course there are dangerous neighborhoods, but there are definitely safe ones as well. Im a sf native and a woman and I feel pretty safe in my neighborhood (near japantown and Fillmore st) and I often go home alone at night. If you -are nervous about an area ask us locals on tls about the neighborhood and we can give you some advice.

User avatar
keeran23
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:29 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby keeran23 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:45 pm

Not to change topics, but I got an e-mail on 1/18 saying I was complete. I haven't heard anything since. Is anyone out there in the same boat?

SchopenhauerFTW
Posts: 1793
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:22 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:18 pm

keeran23 wrote:Not to change topics, but I got an e-mail on 1/18 saying I was complete. I haven't heard anything since. Is anyone out there in the same boat?


Posting in here for the first time to say that I am in the same boat. I hate waiting.

User avatar
restless
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:51 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby restless » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:38 pm

SchopenhauerFTW wrote:
keeran23 wrote:Not to change topics, but I got an e-mail on 1/18 saying I was complete. I haven't heard anything since. Is anyone out there in the same boat?


Posting in here for the first time to say that I am in the same boat. I hate waiting.


Similar boat, at least. I went complete on 1/25. Really anxious to know where I'm going since Hastings is one of my top choices.

User avatar
HopelesslyOptimistic
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:36 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby HopelesslyOptimistic » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:26 pm

SO this is on the housing website, with price ranges/accomodations. Are these #s much less expensive than elsewhere in SF or not by that much? Or are they more expensive?
Type
Price Range Approximate Sq. Ft.
Maximum Tenants Allowed

Efficiency
$905 - $1,110
250
One

Studio
$1,030 - $1,250
350
Two

One Bedroom
$1,330 - $1,550
500
Two

Two Bedroom
$2,285
850
Two

Two bedroom Penthouse
$2,855- $3,255
1140
Three


Is it better to live with or without roommates in law school?

User avatar
Siamsa414
Posts: 137
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:34 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby Siamsa414 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:46 pm

Waitlist by e-mail just now. Will likely withdraw.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”