UC Hastings 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ilovesf

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby ilovesf » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:26 pm

I got an e-mail today about the school starting its own UCH 2014 facebook group - anyone going to join it? I am kind of on the fence. My facebook is pretty much more for my social life and I don't want to open it up to my networking contacts..

dswimmer

Postby dswimmer » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:28 pm

ilovesf wrote:I got an e-mail today about the school starting its own UCH 2014 facebook group - anyone going to join it? I am kind of on the fence. My facebook is pretty much more for my social life and I don't want to open it up to my networking contacts..

I agree. I think I'll pass.

LttleBlakDress

Postby LttleBlakDress » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:47 pm

Just got a waitlist email...... Obviously will be riding this one out.... Seems like what they do to splitters but still so upset.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:02 pm

LttleBlakDress wrote:Just got a waitlist email...... Obviously will be riding this one out.... Seems like what they do to splitters but still so upset.

Ohh no! I'm so sorry, I know how much you wanted Hastings :( You've gotten into better schools - maybe they are just waiting to see if Hastings is really your number one.

LttleBlakDress

Postby LttleBlakDress » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:05 pm

ilovesf wrote:
LttleBlakDress wrote:Just got a waitlist email...... Obviously will be riding this one out.... Seems like what they do to splitters but still so upset.

Ohh no! I'm so sorry, I know how much you wanted Hastings :( You've gotten into better schools - maybe they are just waiting to see if Hastings is really your number one.

I mean at this point, unless I get into off the waitlist or into Vandy or USC I am going to just retake the LSAT, take CC classes to raise my gpa to a 3.2 and reapply. I'll be ok though.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:14 pm

LttleBlakDress wrote:I mean at this point, unless I get into off the waitlist or into Vandy or USC I am going to just retake the LSAT, take CC classes to raise my gpa to a 3.2 and reapply. I'll be ok though.

I'll keep m fingers crossed for you! Have you toured Hastings yet? If not, you really should do it soon to show your interest in the school and everything.

nematoad

Postby nematoad » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:19 pm

LttleBlakDress wrote:
ilovesf wrote:

I mean at this point, unless I get into off the waitlist or into Vandy or USC I am going to just retake the LSAT, take CC classes to raise my gpa to a 3.2 and reapply. I'll be ok though.

have you graduated from UG yet? cause if you have the CC courses won't count in your LSDAS GPA. regardless, you should definitely let hastings know you want in, maybe even put a face to that name.

lulucrazy

Postby lulucrazy » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:45 pm

Has anyone recieved scholarship information yet? Or know when they send it out? I'm worried about the cost of living so I really hope I get some money!!!!!!

LttleBlakDress

Postby LttleBlakDress » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:53 pm

nematoad wrote:
LttleBlakDress wrote:
ilovesf wrote:

have you graduated from UG yet? cause if you have the CC courses won't count in your LSDAS GPA. regardless, you should definitely let hastings know you want in, maybe even put a face to that name.

Yeah I have toured already, and in my emails and phone calls this week I have repeated every time that Hastings is my first choice and I will definitely attend if accepted. And I have graduated from UG. I don't know what to do because my LDAS gpa only includes 2.5 semesters of college (I studied abroad for 1 year and graduated a semester early. God I am so screwed. Is it weird to visit again when I'm waitlisted? I feel like Hastings is so anti-further communication/locis/bothering them that I'm kind of afraid anything I do will hurt rather than help me...

justajealousguy

Postby justajealousguy » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:34 am

Just poured over this 19 page thread after receiving my WL email this evening.

I am blown away by the amazing people here. Having been on (or at least lurked on) law-related and unrelated online forums before, the attitude in both is usually rude (a necessary element in biting attempts to be funny), separatist, etc. You all have been helpful to unrelated and related posters and I haven't seen one verbal slaying, let alone an unfounded one. :)

Now I just have to say how beyond honored I am to be on the same WL as so many of you. I've begun to wonder where I got the balls to apply to the schools I did with my numbers, especially after seeing yours. I don't have much hope of acceptance when someone with an LSAT score 20 points higher than me was already rejected months ago. But that doesn't make the sting easier to take. I really, really want to go to Hastings. I'm trying to treat the WL as a rejection for my own sanity, but it's difficult.

So far I've only gotten three responses out of ten or so applications--one WL, one rejection, and one acceptance.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:45 am

justajealousguy wrote:Just poured over this 19 page thread after receiving my WL email this evening.

I am blown away by the amazing people here. Having been on (or at least lurked on) law-related and unrelated online forums before, the attitude in both is usually rude (a necessary element in biting attempts to be funny), separatist, etc. You all have been helpful to unrelated and related posters and I haven't seen one verbal slaying, let alone an unfounded one. :)

Now I just have to say how beyond honored I am to be on the same WL as so many of you. I've begun to wonder where I got the balls to apply to the schools I did with my numbers, especially after seeing yours. I don't have much hope of acceptance when someone with an LSAT score 20 points higher than me was already rejected months ago. But that doesn't make the sting easier to take. I really, really want to go to Hastings. I'm trying to treat the WL as a rejection for my own sanity, but it's difficult.

So far I've only gotten three responses out of ten or so applications--one WL, one rejection, and one acceptance.

haha, well glad you stopped lurking and am taking part within this online community.

there's a fair level of snark elsewhere on these forums, but these hastings posters sure seem nice don't they? i hope that rings true should i attend this fall.

good luck to you with the rest of your cycle and getting off the WL.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:39 pm

justajealousguy wrote:Just poured over this 19 page thread after receiving my WL email this evening.

Welcome :) A WL isn't a death sentence.. just do all you can do to show your interest (LOCI, and a visit if you can). Without knowing your stats it's difficult to know your chances, but I saw that you got into UCI, I'd say if you got in there.. you have a good chance at Hastings. This forum definitely has its fair share of attitude, but I think the acceptance threads are always pretty nice because we're all (maybe) future classmates, and we all like the school enough to apply there, so there isn't really anything to fight about. Good luck!

pbutta123

Postby pbutta123 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:34 pm

If you're waitlisted it's definitely not a death sentence. Lots of people withdraw (which will start to happen these next couple months) and they need YOU to fill the spots:D

On another note, anyone get scholly news yet?

thegreatk

Postby thegreatk » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:17 am

pbutta123 wrote:If you're waitlisted it's definitely not a death sentence. Lots of people withdraw (which will start to happen these next couple months) and they need YOU to fill the spots:D

Nothing here, but I just got my admissions packet today.

justajealousguy

Postby justajealousguy » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:29 am

Thanks for the welcome, all!

ilovesf wrote:Welcome :) A WL isn't a death sentence.. just do all you can do to show your interest (LOCI, and a visit if you can). Without knowing your stats it's difficult to know your chances, but I saw that you got into UCI, I'd say if you got in there.. you have a good chance at Hastings. This forum definitely has its fair share of attitude, but I think the acceptance threads are always pretty nice because we're all (maybe) future classmates, and we all like the school enough to apply there, so there isn't really anything to fight about. Good luck!

Were you on the WL before receiving your spot?

I ask (you and/or anyone who was put on the UCH WL) because the WL email was so discouraging of any continued contact while we're on the list. Would a LOCI be appropriate when/if the second "Are you still interested?" email comes around?

If so, is a LOCI worth sending if you do not have new information to add (was reading up in other threads about LOCI and most said they're partly meant to update your profile)? I don't really have any new resume additions or anything...but I'm sure I can sound even more eager to attend and passionate about Hastings in a second letter, ha. Is that worthy enough of a LOCI?

I'm thousands of miles away, so a visit is unfortunately off the table unless I get a UCI travel stipend and abuse it by also going up north while in CA. Off-topic: any advice on cheap travel between northern and southern CA (Sac or San Francisco/LA). Most sites say a bus is cheapest at roughly $40 round-trip.

orachelo

Postby orachelo » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:56 am

thegreatk wrote:
pbutta123 wrote:If you're waitlisted it's definitely not a death sentence. Lots of people withdraw (which will start to happen these next couple months) and they need YOU to fill the spots:D

Nothing here, but I just got my admissions packet today.

congrats, thegreatk! must be exciting.

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:58 am

justajealousguy wrote:Would a LOCI be appropriate when/if the second "Are you still interested?" email comes around?

I would definitely think so. Maybe PM TLS posters who attend Hastings now (look at, for ex., Davis v. Hastings threads to find them) and ask if they know about the WL process and what you might do to better your chances. I didn't get waitlisted, but I do remember people being confused about what exactly they should do last year too.

justajealousguy wrote:If so, is a LOCI worth sending if you do not have new information to add (was reading up in other threads about LOCI and most said they're partly meant to update your profile)? I don't really have any new resume additions or anything...but I'm sure I can sound even more eager to attend and passionate about Hastings in a second letter, ha. Is that worthy enough of a LOCI?

Yes. Arguably the main purpose of a LOCI is to reaffirm your interest in a particular school throughout the long admissions cycle. Definitely send in a LOCI when appropriate (probably when prompted by the admiss office, perhaps sooner if you have a material update) even if you have nothing substantial to add.

justajealousguy wrote:I'm thousands of miles away, so a visit is unfortunately off the table.

All the more reason to send in a LOCI to reassure admissions that you're genuinely interested and are willing to relocate if you get in, although I'd strongly suggest vising schools before committing. This is too important a decision not to check things out in person. The cost of your trips will be a drop in the bucket compared to the total cost of your future legal education anyway.

Good luck!

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:28 am

justajealousguy wrote:Were you on the WL before receiving your spot?

No I was just accepted, but I did read through the thread linked below before I applied. It talks a lot about people getting waitlisted then accepted.. if you can manage to get through it! http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =7&t=99861

Also guys, they ended up 101 pages!! We have a lot of work to do.

ProfitsProphets

Postby ProfitsProphets » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:49 am

:mrgreen:

lfp

Postby lfp » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:21 am

justajealousguy wrote:Thanks for the welcome, all!

ilovesf wrote:Welcome :) A WL isn't a death sentence.. just do all you can do to show your interest (LOCI, and a visit if you can). Without knowing your stats it's difficult to know your chances, but I saw that you got into UCI, I'd say if you got in there.. you have a good chance at Hastings. This forum definitely has its fair share of attitude, but I think the acceptance threads are always pretty nice because we're all (maybe) future classmates, and we all like the school enough to apply there, so there isn't really anything to fight about. Good luck!

Were you on the WL before receiving your spot?

I ask (you and/or anyone who was put on the UCH WL) because the WL email was so discouraging of any continued contact while we're on the list. Would a LOCI be appropriate when/if the second "Are you still interested?" email comes around?

If so, is a LOCI worth sending if you do not have new information to add (was reading up in other threads about LOCI and most said they're partly meant to update your profile)? I don't really have any new resume additions or anything...but I'm sure I can sound even more eager to attend and passionate about Hastings in a second letter, ha. Is that worthy enough of a LOCI?

I'm thousands of miles away, so a visit is unfortunately off the table unless I get a UCI travel stipend and abuse it by also going up north while in CA. Off-topic: any advice on cheap travel between northern and southern CA (Sac or San Francisco/LA). Most sites say a bus is cheapest at roughly $40 round-trip.

I'd like to point out that I'm doing exactly that. UCI does have a travel stipend of $300 for out of state travelers, and I'm doing ASD in Irvine and then going up to the Bay Area. Seriously.

barklm

Postby barklm » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:04 pm

Just received my scholarship email from Hastings today - my initial acceptance phone call was on 2/10.

lucky277

Postby lucky277 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:41 pm

barklm wrote:Just received my scholarship email from Hastings today - my initial acceptance phone call was on 2/10.

Congrats! Have other people received scholarship offers yet? I got my acceptance phone call on 1/27 and am still waiting.

smittelman6

Postby smittelman6 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:41 pm

barklm wrote:Just received my scholarship email from Hastings today - my initial acceptance phone call was on 2/10.

amount? stats? or can you PM me this info...

lulucrazy

Postby lulucrazy » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:55 pm

smittelman6 wrote:

amount? stats? or can you PM me this info...

I'm kind of wondering about this too...hope I get something good!!!!!!

toster19

Postby toster19 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:33 pm

Received scholarship email this morning from Dean Canada.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”