UC Hastings 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
General Tso

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby General Tso » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:04 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:
molomloch wrote:I got WL'd with a 169 and a 4.0... :oops:

Either you had C&F issues or, more likely, they know you are going somewhere else and you got YP'ed. Hastings is not THAT good

yeah I mean if you really want to go to school in CA, there is no way you'll be rejected at UCLA and USC. USC will probably give you $

usernamer

Postby usernamer » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:11 pm

If I app'd in early nov and haven't heard a thing....? Would it have been better to get wl'd? I know they've rejected some already too, so I WANT to think I still have a shot.

bananeez

Postby bananeez » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:46 pm

Sorry if I missed this, but --- Did anybody get offered scholly $ yet? I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be waiting for this or not...

chicityteacher

Postby chicityteacher » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:27 pm

IN - just got the phone call today. Not sure if I'll attend though, still waiting on UW and Davis. Not really sure of my chances at those two schools, but I figured if I got in to Hastings I am within striking distance.

molomloch

Postby molomloch » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:36 pm

General Tso wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:

Either you had C&F issues or, more likely, they know you are going somewhere else and you got YP'ed. Hastings is not THAT good

yeah I mean if you really want to go to school in CA, there is no way you'll be rejected at UCLA and USC. USC will probably give you $

I mean I guess I have C&F issues (marijuana violations Freshmen year of college), but that didn't stop me from getting into the higher-ranked Davis a good month ago.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:52 pm

molomloch wrote:I mean I guess I have C&F issues (marijuana violations Freshmen year of college), but that didn't stop me from getting into the higher-ranked Davis a good month ago.

Hastings and Davis use different strategies to boost themselves in USNWR. Davis lies on its employment stats, Hastings rejects or waitlists high GPA/LSAT people that it assumes will not attend to keep acceptance rate low. Are you seriously considering Davis? With your numbers, I wouldn't consider anything outside the T20 unless it was free.

Puttanesca

Postby Puttanesca » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:14 pm

bananeez wrote:Sorry if I missed this, but --- Did anybody get offered scholly $ yet? I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be waiting for this or not...

I don't know, but I haven't gotten any scholly offer yet. I was accepted on 1/11 and am at the 75+ percentiles for both GPA and LSAT. I think the admissions packet said that some offers would be coming in April. But from what I hear, Hastings isn't that generous w/money. I think the max merit award was something like $10K/year, but I could be wrong.

molomloch

Postby molomloch » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:55 pm

Right now it looks like Georgetown will be my school next year, but I'm still waiting on Berkeley, UCLA, Michigan and USC...

I naively hoped that Davis or Hastings would offer me a full-ride or something, which I've now realized is the least likely thing to happen. It was just so darn easy to get undergraduate scholarships from UC's that I figured UC law schools would be equally generous to high achieving California natives.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:30 pm

molomloch wrote:Right now it looks like Georgetown will be my school next year, but I'm still waiting on Berkeley, UCLA, Michigan and USC...

I naively hoped that Davis or Hastings would offer me a full-ride or something, which I've now realized is the least likely thing to happen. It was just so darn easy to get undergraduate scholarships from UC's that I figured UC law schools would be equally generous to high achieving California natives.

I thought so too. Graduating Summa from a UC undergrad means nothing to UC law schools. D:

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:39 pm

molomloch wrote:
General Tso wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:

I mean I guess I have C&F issues (marijuana violations Freshmen year of college), but that didn't stop me from getting into the higher-ranked Davis a good month ago.

that didn't stop me from getting into Hastings :mrgreen:

though seriously, fact is they don't have the money for students w/ your numbers

molomloch

Postby molomloch » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:35 pm

Borhas knows this because he's a financial aid officer.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:40 pm

molomloch wrote:Borhas knows this because he's a financial aid officer.

and now so do you

djashfro

Postby djashfro » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:46 pm

Is it bad that I haven't received a reply yet?? complete since 12/10

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:28 pm

djashfro wrote:Is it bad that I haven't received a reply yet?? complete since 12/10

I haven't either and I applied mid-October. It is slowly making me go crazy.

acucla

Postby acucla » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:55 pm

Lasers wrote:
jcbwrnc wrote:Well, if the housing board never sends us an email, we should make our own! I don't think I will apply for McAllister housing, but I am going to check it out tomorrow.

please report back with your thoughts!

i'm strongly considering living at the tower first year.

After taking a tour several weeks ago, I applied for housing in the Tower. I sent emails to the Housing Board twice and never received a response either. I applied for an efficiency unit so I don't have to worry about finding a roommate for the first year. The efficiency is pretty much a dorm room with a kitchen and a bathroom, but I think it should be fine for me. The tour guides told me that some higher floor units have amazing views and some have been renovated to include hardwood floors. I requested both on my housing application so we'll see what happens... :-)

LocalNative

Postby LocalNative » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:45 pm

Sorry don't mean to bump but better late than never - WL via e-mail on 2/10

161/3.96
Complete: 12/6

mistermister

Postby mistermister » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:48 pm

is Davis or Hastings generally tougher to get into?

wokeemilo

Postby wokeemilo » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:58 pm

mistermister wrote:is Davis or Hastings generally tougher to get into?

davis is ranked pretty significantly higher and has a smaller class...soooo probably davis? although they seem to have a wide range of gpa and lsat numbers.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:07 pm

wokeemilo wrote:

davis is ranked pretty significantly higher and has a smaller class...soooo probably davis? although they seem to have a wide range of gpa and lsat numbers.

:roll:

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:09 pm

My general feel is that Hastings is tougher. I would speculate that this is because people prefer it due to location, though I could be wrong about either of those things.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:11 pm

bk1 wrote:

My general feel is that Hastings is tougher. I would speculate that this is because people prefer it due to location, though I could be wrong about either of those things.

Hastings' median LSAT has been 1-2 points higher for quite a while now, and GPA is roughly the same.

As for USNWR, Davis' raw score is 2 points higher than Hastings', and about 1.5 of those points can be attributed to Davis overstating its pre-2008 employment rates by 20% in 2010. Nothing to do with selectivity.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:13 pm

General Tso wrote:
bk1 wrote:

Hastings' median LSAT has been 1-2 points higher for quite a while now, and GPA is roughly the same.

As for USNWR, Davis' raw score is 2 points higher than Hastings', and about 1.5 of those points can be attributed to Davis overstating its pre-2008 employment rates by 20% in 2010. Nothing to do with selectivity.

I also feel like Hastings is a tad less splitter friendly, though I am not entirely sure.

All in all, they are probably pretty close as far as admissions chances (barring the select group of people who are right below Hastings' LSAT median and right above Davis' LSAT median).

usuallyjustlurks

Postby usuallyjustlurks » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:15 pm

bk1 wrote:
General Tso wrote:
bk1 wrote:

I also feel like Hastings is a tad less splitter friendly, though I am not entirely sure.

All in all, they are probably pretty close as far as admissions chances (barring the select group of people who are right below Hastings' LSAT median and right above Davis' LSAT median).

Acceptance rate is listed as slightly higher at Davis on LSN, though the info doesn't look completely up to date. Don't know about the splitter thing, but I have been accepted to Hastings and I am a reverse splitter (I haven't heard from Davis yet).

chicityteacher

Postby chicityteacher » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:02 pm

I have been looking at the numbers on the Hastings and Davis websites, and it is difficult to say definitively which is more competitive. If anything, Davis may be slightly more so than Hastings.
First, acceptance rate is almost the same for each. Hastings = (1323/5881) = 22.5%, Davis = (944/4018) = 23.5%

The numbers is what confuses me:

Hastings
GPA: 3.45 - 3.6 - 3.71
LSAT: 160 - 164 - 165

Davis:
GPA: 3.35 - 3.69 - 3.83
LSAT: 161 - 164 - 167

One thing you may notice right away is that the numbers for Davis are different than what is listed on TLS. I just got all of these numbers directly from the admissions site at each school.

It seems like Davis is the more competitive school, at least in terms of numbers. With the exception of the 25% gpa marking and the median LSAT, Davis has higher numbers for almost everything. I think the lower end of the gpa spectrum is probably because of a more friendly nature towards splitters as some others have already speculated.

What I can't understand is why Hastings numbers are so much lower given the fact that their applicant pool was much larger and the fact that it seems like almost everyone who applies to Davis also applies to Hastings. My only guess is that since these numbers reflect only the students who attend - and not who was accepted - that students with higher numbers may get in to both but ultimately favor Davis.

Basically, if you have lower numbers, it looks like you have a slightly better shot at Hastings. If you are a splitter, you may have a better shot at Davis.

Then again, the only thing that these numbers really say is that the applicants who ended up actually matriculating at Davis had a slightly higher overall number spread than those matriculating at Davis. It could very well be the case - and I imagine that it is - that many students are accepted to both schools and have to choose.

Anyone else care to way in? I'm not really a statistician.
Last edited by chicityteacher on Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:04 pm

chicityteacher wrote:I have been looking at the numbers on the Hastings and Davis websites, and it is difficult to definitively say anything about which one is more competitive.

First, acceptance rate is almost the same for each. Hastings = (1323/5881) = 22.5%, Davis = (944/4018) = 23.5%

The numbers is what confuses me:

Hastings
GPA: 3.45 - 3.6 - 3.71
LSAT: 160 - 164 - 165

Davis:
GPA: 3.35 - 3.69 - 3.83
LSAT: 161 - 164 - 167

One thing you may notice right away is that the numbers for Davis are different than what is listed on TLS. I just got all of these numbers directly from the admissions site at each school.

It seems like Davis is the more competitive school, at least in terms of numbers. With the exception of the 25% gpa marking and the median LSAT, Davis has higher numbers for almost everything. I think the lower end of the gpa spectrum is probably because of a more friendly nature towards splitters as some others have already speculated.

What I can't understand is why Hastings numbers are so much lower given the fact that their applicant pool was much larger and the fact that it seems like almost everyone who applies to Davis also applies to Hastings. My only guess is that since these numbers reflect only the students who attend - and not who was accepted - that students with higher numbers may get in to both but ultimately favor Davis.

Basically, if you have lower numbers, it looks like you have a slightly better shot at Hastings. If you are a splitter, you may have a better shot at Davis.

Anyone else care to way in? I'm not really a statistician.

The TLS stats are several years old, iirc.

Maybe Davis lures with money? To be honest, that 75th being close to the median for the LSAT looks like Hastings is whoring itself out to splitters to achieve their medians moreso than Davis.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”