UC Hastings 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
picklebarrel

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby picklebarrel » Thu May 12, 2011 2:33 pm

lawyered2014 wrote:
uhhhh wrote:
TIMEATELL wrote:
LttleBlakDress wrote:I got the email from Dean Canada two days ago as well, responded immediately and haven’t heard anything… I very literally followed the instructions in the email, just listing the info and not actually writing out that I wanted to be considered. Was that bad? I know Hastings loves following instructions and hates additional info so I was trying to do what they like but the waiting is killing me…..

At this point, if Hastings is your #1 choice, you should definitely let them know. Further, it wouldn't hurt to follow-up every week (like every Monday, but no more than once a week) to reiterate your commitment to ATTEND if admitted. This is a big deal as they oftentimes have no clue if their law school is the wait-listed applicant's #1 choice or if the applicant is still considering their law school at all. Make it easy for them. Just keep all communication concise and to the point with no b.s.

TIME

Some schools (like UCLA) specifically ask you to say if they are your top choice or not, but I'm not sure if contacting them every week to let them know is such a good idea. I'm sure they expect that students are going to say the school is their top choice regardless of whether it is or not and just ignore those statements.

I agree -I wouldn't contact them weekly. Hastings doesn't appear to want any contact with you unless they initiate it... at least that was the impression I got from there waitlist FAQ ...

+1

And I'm pretty sure sending an email once a week wouldn't help your chances in any case. They definitely have a system for pulling off the waitlist.

restless

Postby restless » Thu May 12, 2011 2:43 pm

I'm too lazy to find last year's thread, but does anyone know of applicants who got the waitlist enquiry e-mail, replied that they were still interested, but still didn't get in? I guess I'm trying to figure out if getting the e-mail is a small sign of hope or if it's just wishful thinking on my part.

LttleBlakDress

Postby LttleBlakDress » Thu May 12, 2011 6:32 pm

I haven't looked at that thread for a few weeks, but from what I can remember, It looked to me like people who got that in May all got in, but not immediately, and June and subsequently some got in and some didn't, but no one got in without receiving that email at some point.

idphi

Postby idphi » Fri May 13, 2011 2:07 am

If I was waitlisted and haven't received an email asking if I'm still interested, does that mean that I'm off the waitlist? Or that they're not considering me? Or just that they're not considering me yet?

idphi

Postby idphi » Fri May 13, 2011 2:10 am

idphi wrote:If I was waitlisted and haven't received an email asking if I'm still interested, does that mean that I'm off the waitlist? Or that they're not considering me? Or just that they're not considering me yet?

Nevermind. I just re-read their email and their web page about the waitlist and I answered my own question.

TIMEATELL

Postby TIMEATELL » Fri May 13, 2011 5:35 am

uhhhh wrote:
TIMEATELL wrote:
LttleBlakDress wrote:I got the email from Dean Canada two days ago as well, responded immediately and haven’t heard anything… I very literally followed the instructions in the email, just listing the info and not actually writing out that I wanted to be considered. Was that bad? I know Hastings loves following instructions and hates additional info so I was trying to do what they like but the waiting is killing me…..

At this point, if Hastings is your #1 choice, you should definitely let them know. Further, it wouldn't hurt to follow-up every week (like every Monday, but no more than once a week) to reiterate your commitment to ATTEND if admitted. This is a big deal as they oftentimes have no clue if their law school is the wait-listed applicant's #1 choice or if the applicant is still considering their law school at all. Make it easy for them. Just keep all communication concise and to the point with no b.s.

TIME

Some schools (like UCLA) specifically ask you to say if they are your top choice or not, but I'm not sure if contacting them every week to let them know is such a good idea. I'm sure they expect that students are going to say the school is their top choice regardless of whether it is or not and just ignore those statements.

Developing a rapport with admissions is key to getting off of the wait list. You may be correct in that students are telling schools they are their top choice (not the same as #1 btw), but I doubt many are following-up with these schools on a consistent basis with the same message. Like I said, if I were on the wait list and Hastings was my #1 choice, I would send a concise email on a weekly basis to reaffirm my interest in Hastings and commitment to attend if admitted. I would also communicate my commitment to withdraw from all other law schools upon being admitted.

Edit: No bs here..I received this advice from T-14 and T-25 Admissions Deans. In the end, do what you please...just offering my .02

TIME

TIMEATELL

Postby TIMEATELL » Fri May 13, 2011 5:57 am

picklebarrel wrote:+1

And I'm pretty sure sending an email once a week wouldn't help your chances in any case. They definitely have a system for pulling off the waitlist.

I respectfully disagree. If you have two wait-listed candidates with nearly identical qualifications, but one has been proactive and persistent in expressing their interest and commitment to attend your law school while the other was passive in expressing their interest and commitment, which candidate would you admit first?

TIME

Postby 071816 » Fri May 13, 2011 1:21 pm

TIMEATELL wrote:

I respectfully disagree. If you have two wait-listed candidates with nearly identical qualifications, but one has been proactive and persistent in expressing their interest and commitment to attend your law school while the other was passive in expressing their interest and commitment, which candidate would you admit first?

TIME

Love the J Dilla avatar ;)

crit_racer

Postby crit_racer » Fri May 13, 2011 1:30 pm

chimp wrote:
TIMEATELL wrote:

TIME

Love the J Dilla avatar ;)

+100000000. Donuts FTW. I knew Hastings would have been cool...

thebauss

Postby thebauss » Fri May 13, 2011 5:57 pm

In off the waitlist today, a day after they sent out the email to see who was still interested. Has anyone found any scholarship information out for waitlisted people? I don't want to put in my $500 deposit without knowing if I'm getting a scholarship.

gutterl

Postby gutterl » Fri May 13, 2011 6:26 pm

i dont know about scholarship info, but i got my financial aid package info today and i got a hastings grant for about 12k, i forget the exact number

kapital98

Postby kapital98 » Fri May 13, 2011 8:28 pm

I was notified of their continued interest yesterday. I sent them an email stating my continued interest and they called within ~5 hours with an acceptance.

I was told I would receive financial info by Monday at the latest.

Hastings looks like an amazing school but $210,000 is a little much for me to handle... :cry:

kapital98

Postby kapital98 » Fri May 13, 2011 8:32 pm

Does anybody know how much need based-aid they will give? My household makes a little below ~1/2 the poverty line and need-based aid could be the tiebreaker.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Fri May 13, 2011 9:17 pm

kapital98 wrote:Does anybody know how much need based-aid they will give? My household makes a little below ~1/2 the poverty line and need-based aid could be the tiebreaker.

you can expect maybe 10-12k per year?

it seems you're out of state? the tuition sure is steep.

also, congrats to everyone accepted off the waitlist!

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Fri May 13, 2011 10:35 pm

kapital98 wrote:Does anybody know how much need based-aid they will give? My household makes a little below ~1/2 the poverty line and need-based aid could be the tiebreaker.

Probably in a similar financial situation as you... I got about 14k this year and I'll get about 13k next year

kapital98

Postby kapital98 » Sat May 14, 2011 12:15 pm

Borhas wrote:

Probably in a similar financial situation as you... I got about 14k this year and I'll get about 13k next year

Thank you for the reply. This makes me feel much better :D

thedumbwaiter

Postby thedumbwaiter » Mon May 16, 2011 11:22 am

Is there an admitted students thread in the Class of 2014 section already? I couldn't find it but I have vague recollections of someone mentioning it. If there's not we should make one. Then I can convince someone to accompany me to IKEA to buy furniture as soon as I get to San Francisco. In Britain apartments are almost always furnished so this is a whole new headache for me. :|

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Mon May 16, 2011 11:50 am

thedumbwaiter wrote:Is there an admitted students thread in the Class of 2014 section already? I couldn't find it but I have vague recollections of someone mentioning it. If there's not we should make one. Then I can convince someone to accompany me to IKEA to buy furniture as soon as I get to San Francisco. In Britain apartments are almost always furnished so this is a whole new headache for me. :|

Last time I looked there was not a thread, feel free to make one! When are you arriving in SF? I may be making an IKEA trip of my own in August.

kapital98

Postby kapital98 » Mon May 16, 2011 2:20 pm

If there is a class of 2014 thread please post the link.

I paid my $500 deposit today. I can't wait to see you all in August :D

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Mon May 16, 2011 2:32 pm

Okay I just made a thread : viewtopic.php?f=28&t=155644
Attendees head on over :)

Vonklex

Postby Vonklex » Mon May 16, 2011 4:47 pm

Confirmed that I'd like to remain on the Hastings waitlist via email on Monday May 9th. Offer of admission extended to me via phone call on Wednesday the 11th.

161/ 3.7: applied early decision in November and hand delivered a LOCI at the end of March.

I declined their offer and will be attending Davis in the Fall. Don't mean to brag but I thought waitlists were a complete joke before this. I guess I was wrong.

restless

Postby restless » Mon May 16, 2011 4:49 pm

IN!!!! Just received the call from Dean Canada. So so happy and relieved. I can barely contain my excitement at work, it's too quiet here right now. Yikes.

Can finally say that I'm looking forward to meeting y'all! :)

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Mon May 16, 2011 4:55 pm

restless wrote:IN!!!! Just received the call from Dean Canada. So so happy and relieved. I can barely contain my excitement at work, it's too quiet here right now. Yikes.

Can finally say that I'm looking forward to meeting y'all! :)

Congrats!!!! :)

OldDogOldTricks

Postby OldDogOldTricks » Mon May 16, 2011 5:40 pm

In off the waitlist via phone call as part of the LEOP program. I got the "are you still interested" letter last week and replied with just the bare bones info they requested.

Kind of torn at this point. Hastings was my first pick once upon a time because I love SF but I didn't think there was much of a chance to come off the waitlist. I moved on mentally now I don't know if it's worth the price tag for me... :roll:

zengyy

Postby zengyy » Mon May 16, 2011 7:02 pm

Hastings was my first choice before because I live in the east bay. Now I am in at U Texas. With Texas's ranking (T14) and low tuition (for the 2L and 3L in-state), it's hard to decide.

I compared the two schools at USNews. The employment rate at graduation of Hastings scared me off (<50% while TX is over 90%). Any thoughts on that? Maybe Hastings didn't manipulate its data while most law schools did?

Anyone know the job perspectives of these two schools? I have a biotech background, most likely will pursue IP or healthcare law. Thanks so much!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”