UC Hastings 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
drdolittle

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby drdolittle » Tue May 03, 2011 4:47 pm

minky wrote:
chimp wrote:Hastings' policy of not accepting any additional information to be added to applicant files is complete bullshit and lazy as hell. They are the ONLY school I applied to that is this way. Other schools seem to accept additional information gladly and even send personalized emails in response.

Agreed. UCLA seemed very willing to receive additional information and I'm pretty sure they get more apps than Hastings.

The vast majority of LOCIs are fluff and I'm sure admissions has found that LOCIs don't really add much to the consideration but waste a lot of time to process. I like the policy, it puts everybody on the same footing to be fair, though I wouldn't hesitate to try to break it if I had truly substantial info to add beyond just saying that I'm still interested, which is assumed if you paid the app fee, and have not withdrawn your app during the app cycle.

ProfitsProphets

Postby ProfitsProphets » Tue May 03, 2011 5:59 pm

chimp wrote:Hastings' policy of not accepting any additional information to be added to applicant files is complete bullshit and lazy as hell. They are the ONLY school I applied to that is this way. Other schools seem to accept additional information gladly and even send personalized emails in response.

Hastings is different in many ways. It pioneered the LEOP program, giving way to the "holistic" approach other schools claim to utilize. It also has the highest minority student population, which no other law school can claim. And they don't want to interfere with their admissions methodology, which seems to work for them, by accepting additional documents after the fact.

Our apps are sufficient to make a sound decision. What can possibly be said in an LOCI that isn't already apparent?

KiraMarie

Postby KiraMarie » Wed May 04, 2011 12:24 pm

Denied, as expected. Hoping to transfer in after my first year, anything to avoid taking the LSAT again.

Good luck to all of those who are still waiting!

ProfitsProphets

Postby ProfitsProphets » Wed May 04, 2011 12:56 pm

KiraMarie wrote:Denied, as expected. Hoping to transfer in after my first year, anything to avoid taking the LSAT again.

Good luck to all of those who are still waiting!

Sorry to hear about that! Al least you're attending school with the option to transfer. Good luck!! (and I know what you mean about retaking the test.)

ProfitsProphets

Postby ProfitsProphets » Wed May 04, 2011 1:00 pm

Who besides capitolhillbilly and myself are still waiting for a decision (LEOP or not)?

auroojgulzar

Postby auroojgulzar » Wed May 04, 2011 1:06 pm

waitlisted

Postby 071816 » Wed May 04, 2011 5:42 pm

ProfitsProphets wrote:

Hastings is different in many ways. It pioneered the LEOP program, giving way to the "holistic" approach other schools claim to utilize. It also has the highest minority student population, which no other law school can claim. And they don't want to interfere with their admissions methodology, which seems to work for them, by accepting additional documents after the fact.

Our apps are sufficient to make a sound decision. What can possibly be said in an LOCI that isn't already apparent?

Is that a real question?

ProfitsProphets

Postby ProfitsProphets » Wed May 04, 2011 8:05 pm

chimp wrote:
ProfitsProphets wrote:

Is that a real question?

You're asking a question that has been asked and answered. But please, send away.

Postby 071816 » Wed May 04, 2011 8:10 pm

Our apps are sufficient to make a sound decision. What can possibly be said in an LOCI that isn't already apparent?[/quote]

Is that a real question?[/quote]

You're asking a question that has been asked and answered. But please, send away.[/quote]

What Ou said makes little to no sense.

tea_drinker

Postby tea_drinker » Wed May 04, 2011 8:30 pm

chimp wrote:
ProfitsProphets wrote:
chimp wrote:
ProfitsProphets wrote:

Is that a real question?

You're asking a question that has been asked and answered. But please, send away.

FTFY. I am also waiting to see what you have to say on this subject.

Postby 071816 » Wed May 04, 2011 9:50 pm

The purpose of the LOCI is to let the school know that you’re still interested in attending that school. By the time you are waitlisted or deferred, the school knows that you have been accepted to other places. They want to know that despite your other acceptances, you still are interested in their school. If you don’t show your interest, why would they give you a spot over someone who is dead set on their school?

Talk about why the school is a good match for you. Do some research and look for a specific program or student organization that is unique to the school that would help further your career goals. You have to seem sincere so pick something that is consistent with what is on your resume or in your personal statement. In addition to telling the school why you want them, tell them why they should want you. The school will have a long waitlist full of eager applicants. You need to tell the admissions committee why it should choose you over everyone else it is considering.

In addition to showing your continued interest, a LOCI is a great way to sell yourself a little more. Update the admissions committee on what you have been up to. Did you get a promotion? Did you find out that you will graduate with honors? Did you have an experience that impacted you? Tell them! The important thing to remember is to only tell the committee something they didn’t already know. It doesn’t want to read about something you wrote your personal statement on or is a large part of your resume.

When wait listing or deferring you, some schools ask for specific things you can send them to add to your file. If a school tells you what they want, do it! If the school requests another essay on a given topic and you want to send a LOCI in addition to the essay, go for it. The only time you should definitely not send a LOCI is if the school specifically asks you not to send any additional information (aka Hastings).

To me, Hastings' policy just makes them seem lazy and for me it was a real turn off because I did some stuff I was really proud of since submitting my application (that I believe really helped me at other schools). I tried to tell Hastings about it/update them on my continued interest and they basically told me to go fuck myself.

ProfitsProphets

Postby ProfitsProphets » Wed May 04, 2011 9:55 pm

tea_drinker wrote:
chimp wrote:
ProfitsProphets wrote:
chimp wrote:

Is that a real question?

FTFY. I am also waiting to see what you have to say on this subject.[/quote]

I guess, if you must feel like you're scoring points. People have already asked, complained, and overall shared their discontent about Hastings' policy to not accept additional info to supplement an app. In fact, people have called to ask personally, simply to be told no, they don't want anything extra. Yet, people are still asking and complaining about what has already been established in the complete email originally sent to applicants: they don't want anything extra.

So I ask, what can be said in an LOCI that isn't already apparent? Doesn't your app make clear you want to attend? By the fact you haven't W indicate you're continued interest? So do you still want to debate this non-issue?

Postby 071816 » Wed May 04, 2011 10:03 pm

This is not a debate. This is me continuing to express my discontent with what I feel is a stupid policy (regardless of what has or has not been established).

A lot can change in 6+ months bud, but I guess Hastings' clearly doesn't give a shit about that.

ProfitsProphets

Postby ProfitsProphets » Wed May 04, 2011 10:05 pm

chimp wrote:The purpose of the LOCI is to let the school know that you’re still interested in attending that school. By the time you are waitlisted or deferred, the school knows that you have been accepted to other places. They want to know that despite your other acceptances, you still are interested in their school. If you don’t show your interest, why would they give you a spot over someone who is dead set on their school?

Talk about why the school is a good match for you. Do some research and look for a specific program or student organization that is unique to the school that would help further your career goals. You have to seem sincere so pick something that is consistent with what is on your resume or in your personal statement. In addition to telling the school why you want them, tell them why they should want you. The school will have a long waitlist full of eager applicants. You need to tell the admissions committee why it should choose you over everyone else it is considering.

In addition to showing your continued interest, a LOCI is a great way to sell yourself a little more. Update the admissions committee on what you have been up to. Did you get a promotion? Did you find out that you will graduate with honors? Did you have an experience that impacted you? Tell them! The important thing to remember is to only tell the committee something they didn’t already know. It doesn’t want to read about something you wrote your personal statement on or is a large part of your resume.

When wait listing or deferring you, some schools ask for specific things you can send them to add to your file. If a school tells you what they want, do it! If the school requests another essay on a given topic and you want to send a LOCI in addition to the essay, go for it. The only time you should definitely not send a LOCI is if the school specifically asks you not to send any additional information (aka Hastings).

To me, Hastings' policy just makes them seem lazy and for me it was a real turn off because I did some stuff I was really proud of since submitting my application (that I believe really helped me at other schools). I tried to tell Hastings about it/update them on my continued interest and they basically told me to go fuck myself.

I get your point, and it can be frustrating to have to sit and wait, but I'm offering advice aimed at not getting you rejected, as in ignoring their instructions (Because this is really about following their instructions.)

Even if anything is sent to them they don't accept it, so this is a moot point.

ProfitsProphets

Postby ProfitsProphets » Wed May 04, 2011 10:08 pm

chimp wrote:This is not a debate. This is me continuing to express my discontent with what I feel is a stupid policy (regardless of what has or has not been established).

A lot can change in 6+ months bud, but I guess Hastings' clearly doesn't give a shit about that.

You have been heard, and I feel your frustration. I want to get in as bad as the next person. But, we must wait. :roll:

tea_drinker

Postby tea_drinker » Wed May 04, 2011 11:12 pm

del
Last edited by tea_drinker on Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Thu May 05, 2011 9:59 am

I'm still waiting too, non-LEOP.

MST3K

Postby MST3K » Thu May 05, 2011 4:40 pm

In off the waitlist today via phone call.

Capitol hillbilly

Postby Capitol hillbilly » Thu May 05, 2011 4:53 pm

MST3K wrote:In off the waitlist today via phone call.

Congratulations. Think you'll attend? Looks like you have some good options.

MST3K

Postby MST3K » Thu May 05, 2011 5:01 pm

Capitol hillbilly wrote:

Yes:), I'm going to pay the deposit today. I'm from AZ and don't want to live/go to school where it snows, haha.. so my only options are Loyola and Hastings. I already paid the deposit to Loyola, but am definitely happy to have Hastings instead.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Thu May 05, 2011 5:07 pm

MST3K wrote:
Capitol hillbilly wrote:

Yes:), I'm going to pay the deposit today. I'm from AZ and don't want to live/go to school where it snows, haha.. so my only options are Loyola and Hastings. I already paid the deposit to Loyola, but am definitely happy to have Hastings instead.

Congrats, see you in the fall!

gutterl

Postby gutterl » Thu May 05, 2011 5:59 pm

also admitted today by phone :D

so happy and relieved, i didnt make any deposits on any other schools, and was crossing my fingers to get off the waitlist at hastings and/or usc

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Thu May 05, 2011 6:21 pm

congrats to the new admits!

i'm especially surprised, mst3k, that you were waitlisted with a 4.0 gpa. :?

MST3K

Postby MST3K » Thu May 05, 2011 6:22 pm

Lasers wrote:congrats to the new admits!

i'm especially surprised, mst3k, that you were waitlisted with a 4.0 gpa. :?

^ I think it's because I applied pretty late in the cycle. : x

auroojgulzar

Postby auroojgulzar » Thu May 05, 2011 6:31 pm

I think I would not be receing a call from Hastings and I think its because I sent a LOCI and another LOR via mail. I thought the email said dont email anything so I went via regular mail. that might have caused me any consideration for not knowing how to follow rules I guess sigh*****....

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”