UC Hastings 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
courtinglaw

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Postby courtinglaw » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:31 am

Agree about what people said about should have asked about $$, although wasn't expecting any really, but was excited tonight to get a call (161/3.9). Although bugged out more than usual about law school now thanks to that NYT article... :|

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:58 am

queenlizzie13 wrote:
stonepeep wrote:I really wouldn't count on getting too much money from Hastings. The most I've ever heard of anyone getting is $10k a year (though perhaps there are a few exceptions who get more, I don't know). Plus our budget is going to get majorly cut by the state - again - so there isn't tons of money to go around. It's definitely not the type of school that entices people with large scholarships. Sorry :(

I've heard that too. My friend paid sticker at Hastings and decided to forgo the full tuition scholarship she was given at Loyola, and also turned down BU.

Which, I personally would not have recommended job wise. I know the whole economy is bad, but CA is particularly bad.

That's particularly why I am going to weigh my options very carefully, and I'm really banking on a) UCLA pulling me off the WL or b) Dean Pless stamping "YES PLEASE" on my application at UIUC.

I am hesitant to pay sticker @ Hastings. But, if it comes down to taking a year off (which will result in an overall cluster**** in my personal life) or paying sticker @ H, I will pay sticker. My hubby and I both live very modestly and have done so for a few yrs now so it'll be OK. I don't do it sans reservations though :X

I might forego BU if I didn't want to practice back there. According to the recent USNW&R I looked at when I was at Barnes and Noble, very few of the graduating class make it back out to the pacific, and I really, really want to practice here in CA. So without substantial $$ (which I would not get from them), I'd also turn down BU. Maybe. =/

stonepeep

Postby stonepeep » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:08 am

bananeez wrote:
stonepeep wrote:I really wouldn't count on getting too much money from Hastings. The most I've ever heard of anyone getting is $10k a year (though perhaps there are a few exceptions who get more, I don't know). Plus our budget is going to get majorly cut by the state - again - so there isn't tons of money to go around. It's definitely not the type of school that entices people with large scholarships. Sorry :(

Does Hastings give particularly good financial aid packages? The COL is just so expensive in SF!

I'm not really sure what you mean by this. You can take out loans for the entire amount of tuition + cost of living as determined by the school, exactly like at every other law school. The maximum allowable amount you can take out for cost of living varies by school, but as far as I know every school bases that amount on estimates of what it actually costs to live in the school's area.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:20 am

Need based aid packages will probably range from 8-12k per year. I didn't qualify on the basis of my savings for the first year, but I did qualify for $8500 in need based grants for my second year.

unfortunately, very few people get merit based grants at Hastings

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:35 am

courtinglaw wrote:Agree about what people said about should have asked about $$, although wasn't expecting any really, but was excited tonight to get a call (161/3.9). Although bugged out more than usual about law school now thanks to that NYT article... :|

Don't trip too much. The case study for the NYT article was an idiot who went to Thomas Jefferson Law at sticker because he liked San Diego. Nuff said.

bananeez

Postby bananeez » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:22 pm

General Tso wrote:Need based aid packages will probably range from 8-12k per year. I didn't qualify on the basis of my savings for the first year, but I did qualify for $8500 in need based grants for my second year.

Thanks -- this is what I was asking. Good to know.

whathojeeves

Postby whathojeeves » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:16 pm

Gotti wrote:
courtinglaw wrote:Agree about what people said about should have asked about $$, although wasn't expecting any really, but was excited tonight to get a call (161/3.9). Although bugged out more than usual about law school now thanks to that NYT article... :|

Don't trip too much. The case study for the NYT article was an idiot who went to Thomas Jefferson Law at sticker because he liked San Diego. Nuff said.

My personal favorite is the girl who went to Brooklyn and says something along the lines of "I just figured someone would hook me up [with a job] after graduation," with the implication that she hadn't tried too hard to secure a job as a 2L or 3L. I did feel a little sorry for her. However, the guy was thoroughly priceless ("The status of being a lawyer is something my buddies respect, so it was worth it.")

Being an idiot will often cause you to be unemployed, and attending law school cannot solve that problem. Sorry. It can make you an extra poor idiot though!

thedumbwaiter

Postby thedumbwaiter » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:27 pm

Oh I hope I hear back from Hastings soon. I applied mid November but I'm an international applicant and we don't have actual GPAs so I'm hope that doesn't cause a delay. I know you're all getting accepted by phone call but I doubt they'd call me as it would cost a fortune so I'm hoping for an email or snail mail winging it's way across the Atlantic.

The time difference is a killer too - I do the mental arithmatic to figure out what time it is California about 10 times a day!

Well done to everyone who got in and fingers crossed for everyone else!

whathojeeves

Postby whathojeeves » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:30 pm

thedumbwaiter wrote:Oh I hope I hear back from Hastings soon. I applied mid November but I'm an international applicant and we don't have actual GPAs so I'm hope that doesn't cause a delay. I know you're all getting accepted by phone call but I doubt they'd call me as it would cost a fortune so I'm hoping for an email or snail mail winging it's way across the Atlantic.

The time difference is a killer too - I do the mental arithmatic to figure out what time it is California about 10 times a day!

I know that at least one school has notified international candidates via email. And a couple schools do try international contact numbers at least once, so check both your email and voicemail!

thedumbwaiter

Postby thedumbwaiter » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:52 pm

whathojeeves wrote:
thedumbwaiter wrote:Oh I hope I hear back from Hastings soon. I applied mid November but I'm an international applicant and we don't have actual GPAs so I'm hope that doesn't cause a delay. I know you're all getting accepted by phone call but I doubt they'd call me as it would cost a fortune so I'm hoping for an email or snail mail winging it's way across the Atlantic.

I know that at least one school has notified international candidates via email. And a couple schools do try international contact numbers at least once, so check both your email and voicemail!

Great, thank you. That's encouraging. I have my phone on me at all times after 4pm our time (8am in CA but hey, maybe admissions like to start work early?!)

xqhp82

Postby xqhp82 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:00 pm

I'm an international who applied in mid-november too:) I wouldn't worry too much about the phonecall, if it does come I'd be super surprised!

LttleBlakDress

Postby LttleBlakDress » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:12 pm

Congrats to everyone who's gotten in! Jealous of all of you. Even though I applied to higher ranked schools, Hastings is my first choice now that Boalt said no. I'd go at sticker, whatever. Anything to be in the Bay Area.

Also, does anyone know when they tend to release LEOP decisions? 2 of my friends who applied LEOP would like to know.

pinkgrapefruit

Postby pinkgrapefruit » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:25 pm

For those of you who got a message - did you call back? Don't know if i should.

spicymeatball111

Postby spicymeatball111 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:28 pm

got in via snail mail today, 164 3.7, complete in early November

masochist

Postby masochist » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:46 pm

In via vm!

170/3.7

Good luck everyone.

wokeemilo

Postby wokeemilo » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:47 pm

spicymeatball111 wrote:got in via snail mail today, 164 3.7, complete in early November

congrats! no phone call like the others?

the lack of status checker for hastings makes the wait so much worse...

casterfield

Postby casterfield » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:09 pm

In via snail mail. 3.41/171

ejeric

Postby ejeric » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:10 pm

General Tso wrote:Need based aid packages will probably range from 8-12k per year. I didn't qualify on the basis of my savings for the first year, but I did qualify for $8500 in need based grants for my second year.

Congrats to everyone who has been admitted!!

Does Hastings match merit scholarships from other (higher ranked) schools?

danicalifornia

Postby danicalifornia » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:37 pm

Do they give stipends for asw?

got the letter today. be warned, it comes in a small envelope.

aliasdancer

Postby aliasdancer » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:51 pm

phone call today around 3pm!

whathojeeves

Postby whathojeeves » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:58 am

wokeemilo wrote:
spicymeatball111 wrote:got in via snail mail today, 164 3.7, complete in early November

congrats! no phone call like the others?

the lack of status checker for hastings makes the wait so much worse...

My call was yesterday afternoon, and my letter came today (but I live reasonably close by). It is definitely conceivable that a Bay Area candidate could get a letter before a call, but I do believe they're doing calls+letters for most candidates at this stage.

crossingforHYS

Postby crossingforHYS » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:53 am

pinkgrapefruit wrote:For those of you who got a message - did you call back? Don't know if i should.

I did not...no reason too, and I am afraid it is too late to share the excitement. Got my letter in the mail last night...in SoCal

usuallyjustlurks

Postby usuallyjustlurks » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:17 am

Hey, everyone. I never really post on TLS, but I got in via phone last Monday. :D It looks like some current Hastings students have visited this thread... are any of you still out there? If so, can I PM you? I'm still waiting on a few decisions, but I'm very seriously considering Hastings and would love to bother you for info/opinions if you have the time.

Good luck to all those still waiting and congrats to all others who are in!

stonepeep

Postby stonepeep » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:44 pm

2L here, feel free to PM me.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:12 am

stonepeep wrote:2L here, feel free to PM me.

same here

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”