UC Hastings 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
thedumbwaiter

New

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Post by thedumbwaiter » Thu May 05, 2011 7:07 pm

auroojgulzar wrote:I think I would not be receing a call from Hastings and I think its because I sent a LOCI and another LOR via mail. I thought the email said dont email anything so I went via regular mail. that might have caused me any consideration for not knowing how to follow rules I guess sigh*****....
Unless they've become a lot less tolerant since last year I don't think sending a LOCI means you're blacklisted. Some of the people in last year's thread who got accepted off the WL had sent them extra info and some hadn't. They seem to do the waitlist in waves so just because you haven't heard anything positive yet doesn't necessarily mean you won't hear at all. If you're really concerned I'd suggest having a look through the 2010 thread, it gives you a pretty good idea of how they do it and the time frame you're looking at (assuming little has changed between now and then).

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Thu May 05, 2011 8:20 pm

thedumbwaiter wrote:
auroojgulzar wrote:I think I would not be receing a call from Hastings and I think its because I sent a LOCI and another LOR via mail. I thought the email said dont email anything so I went via regular mail. that might have caused me any consideration for not knowing how to follow rules I guess sigh*****....
Unless they've become a lot less tolerant since last year I don't think sending a LOCI means you're blacklisted. Some of the people in last year's thread who got accepted off the WL had sent them extra info and some hadn't. They seem to do the waitlist in waves so just because you haven't heard anything positive yet doesn't necessarily mean you won't hear at all. If you're really concerned I'd suggest having a look through the 2010 thread, it gives you a pretty good idea of how they do it and the time frame you're looking at (assuming little has changed between now and then).
+1

It is absolutely ridiculous to assume that you were not pulled off the WL (especially this early) because you tried to send Hastings extra materials.

ProfitsProphets

Bronze

Post by ProfitsProphets » Thu May 05, 2011 10:12 pm

Honestly, who can really say? There are a handful of us still waiting to receive decisions - and jumping every time we hear the phone ring - and our stories, scores, etc., are all different. Are we not worthy of a WL? Not good enough to admit? Is it a space issue? Not sure if they want to reject us? The questions can keep coming, but I guess we still have to wait. I hope for the best! :D

jess

Post by jess » Fri May 06, 2011 10:31 am

Last edited by jess on Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

plin

New

Post by plin » Fri May 06, 2011 11:07 am

Jessuf wrote:I too mailed them a LOCI. I'm just assuming if they really hate reading additional documents, they'd just toss it instead of penalizing me. I wasn't dinged after sending the letter over a month ago, so I'm assuming it didn't hurt me.
+1
I also assumed it was fine to mail a LOCI since the e-mail only stated e-mail/phone calls were not welcome. Also doing some searching online, it seems like in the past they welcomed letters that were mailed. I read somewhere that some person mailed postcards every month, not sure if this is actually a true story, and then was eventually accepted off the waitlist... so I guess one can hope.

Has everyone on the waitlist received an e-mail asking if they want to continue to be on the waitlist? Didn't receive one so just wondering.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

auroojgulzar

New

Post by auroojgulzar » Fri May 06, 2011 11:09 am

im glad to know I wasn't the only one who thought it was okay. I haven't received any communication from them.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Fri May 06, 2011 1:59 pm

plin wrote:
Jessuf wrote:I too mailed them a LOCI. I'm just assuming if they really hate reading additional documents, they'd just toss it instead of penalizing me. I wasn't dinged after sending the letter over a month ago, so I'm assuming it didn't hurt me.
+1
I also assumed it was fine to mail a LOCI since the e-mail only stated e-mail/phone calls were not welcome. Also doing some searching online, it seems like in the past they welcomed letters that were mailed. I read somewhere that some person mailed postcards every month, not sure if this is actually a true story, and then was eventually accepted off the waitlist... so I guess one can hope.

Has everyone on the waitlist received an e-mail asking if they want to continue to be on the waitlist? Didn't receive one so just wondering.
I've been on the WL since early February and have not received the email yet. Not sure if I would even attend, so it's not the end of the world for me, but it is still kind of annoying that I haven't received anything yet.

thedumbwaiter

New

Post by thedumbwaiter » Fri May 06, 2011 2:23 pm

plin wrote:
+1

I emailed them a LOCI a few weeks ago and got the anticipated 'we don't accept stuff like that' response. I've been on the waitlist since late february and got the email asking whether I was still interested last night.

OklahomasOK

Bronze

Post by OklahomasOK » Fri May 06, 2011 3:54 pm

Haven't heard a peep from them since being WLed. Wish they'd ask me if I'm still interested.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

orachelo

Bronze

Post by orachelo » Fri May 06, 2011 5:00 pm

OklahomasOK wrote:Haven't heard a peep from them since being WLed. Wish they'd ask me if I'm still interested.
+1

rebelx13

New

Post by rebelx13 » Sun May 08, 2011 5:20 am

probably not the best place to ask, but the other hastings threads for current students seems to be a little inactive...

how often are there get togethers, meetings, etc, on weeknights at hastings? specifically friday nights/weekends? social events + school events included.

i'm trying to figure out if commuting (90minutes each way) + working super part time (4 hrs/week) is feasible.

also, good luck to those waiting!

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Sun May 08, 2011 11:56 am

rebelx13 wrote:
how often are there get togethers, meetings, etc, on weeknights at hastings? specifically friday nights/weekends? social events + school events included.

i'm trying to figure out if commuting (90minutes each way) + working super part time (4 hrs/week) is feasible.
90 minutes :shock: I'm not a student, but that sounds like it's going to be reallllly tough.

Capitol hillbilly

New

Post by Capitol hillbilly » Sun May 08, 2011 1:45 pm

rebelx13 wrote:probably not the best place to ask, but the other hastings threads for current students seems to be a little inactive...

Not a student (yet..?) at Hastings either, but here's my $.02 anyway: 3 hours a day commuting by public transit, where you can read?= No prob.
3 hours a day driving?= Absolutely insane.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rebelx13

New

Post by rebelx13 » Sun May 08, 2011 6:38 pm

Capitol hillbilly wrote:
rebelx13 wrote:probably not the best place to ask, but the other hastings threads for current students seems to be a little inactive...

Not a student (yet..?) at Hastings either, but here's my $.02 anyway: 3 hours a day commuting by public transit, where you can read?= No prob.
3 hours a day driving?= Absolutely insane.

ok, i lied. i redid the math, and as long as i can get a direct line, bart travel time is 50minutes. getting to bart is 25minutes (assuming i can find parking relatively quickly) OR 55 minutes if i have to take the bus to bart. i would not be driving all the way from the east bay to san fran.

assuming best case scenario: 25min driving + 50 min on bart, does that make it seem any better? ideally, i'd be hitting up the gym at the tower after library study sessions and leaving late at night. how secure is leaving your personal belongings (laptop included) at the tower's lockers?

stonepeep

Bronze

Post by stonepeep » Sun May 08, 2011 9:43 pm

That commute is doable but it will get really annoying. I'm just finishing 2L year and have been commuting an hour each way on BART the whole time. I'm moving into the city this summer because the benefits of living where I live no longer outweigh the hassle of the commute.

You definitely miss out on things when you have a long commute like that. For example, people get together in the evenings all the time, and even if you stick around in the city so that you can go, how long you can stay is limited by how late the last BART train is (around midnight).

While I don't regret my choice to commute, I don't necessarily recommend it to others, either. 1L year you'll have to be on campus 5 days a week, and you have no say in your schedule, so you could wind up having to be on campus at 8:30am four days a week, as some sections do. 2L & 3L you'll have more freedom to pick your schedule, so you likely won't get stuck going to class super early, and you may be able to avoid commuting on one or more days altogether, but if you're involved in extracurriculars you may wind up having to be on campus on non-class days anyway.

Re: working part time - I cannot imagine you would make enough money working four hours per week to justify keeping that job. While technically you will be able to make time for it, you almost certainly will be annoyed with yourself if you do. You'll have enough other things going on that it will seem like a huge hassle. Trust me on this one - I have had an insane number of things to do this semester and took on an additional 5 hour per week commitment. It was definitely much more stressful than it sounded, because I already had so much to do. Technically I had time time but mentally it was a struggle sometimes.

FireNextTime

New

Post by FireNextTime » Sun May 08, 2011 10:11 pm

rebelx13 wrote: how secure is leaving your personal belongings (laptop included) at the tower's lockers?
You won't use the tower lockers, at least not for your laptop and etc. Instead, you'll be assigned a locker in the basement of the classroom building. Perfectly safe.

rebelx13

New

Post by rebelx13 » Mon May 09, 2011 1:25 pm

stonepeep wrote:That commute is doable but it will get really annoying. I'm just finishing 2L year and have been commuting an hour each way on BART the whole time. I'm moving into the city this summer because the benefits of living where I live no longer outweigh the hassle of the commute.

Re: working part time - I cannot imagine you would make enough money working four hours per week to justify keeping that job. While technically you will be able to make time for it, you almost certainly will be annoyed with yourself if you do. You'll have enough other things going on that it will seem like a huge hassle. Trust me on this one - I have had an insane number of things to do this semester and took on an additional 5 hour per week commitment. It was definitely much more stressful than it sounded, because I already had so much to do. Technically I had time time but mentally it was a struggle sometimes.
Thank you so much for that insight! I unfortunately might just have to commute daily assuming I don't find a roommate for a room at the tower or a nice apartment. Unfortunately, all the spots I've looked at so far in my budget are extremely claustrophobic. While that I can still potentially deal with, I don't like the idea of a shared kitchen/bathroom with 20 other apartments on my floor. I've done that before during undergrad, but we didn't have only 1 bathroom/1 shower per floor.

When you say that the benefits of living in the city outweigh the hassle with commuting, what made you change your mind or pushed you in one direction? Seems like an abrupt change after two years of commuting.

I definitely did consider the fact that any social event I attend or study group that I might participate in would be limited by the time of the last BART train (definitely midnight) that would depart. How often do events run past midnight on school nights? I don't mind having to leave early during meetups at bars and other social gatherings if need be (which would also mean I'd get home in the East Bay around 145am), but I'd rather not have to leave during study sessions.

I'm part of the LEOP program and I've been told that there are regular study meetings on Saturdays. I don't anticipate the timings being completely ridiculous to the point where we'd have very early meetings, but that is just one additional day to consider for travel. I can empathize with the entire commute just being draining (especially considering that I am not a morning person).

I wanted to perhaps keep the 4 hour job for two reason: free gym access for myself (and a guest) at any location (which would then allow me to bypass having to go to the Tower's facilities to save time/effort) and it would just about cover my bart expenses for a week. Not worth it, you say?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rebelx13

New

Post by rebelx13 » Mon May 09, 2011 1:27 pm

FireNextTime wrote:
rebelx13 wrote: how secure is leaving your personal belongings (laptop included) at the tower's lockers?
You won't use the tower lockers, at least not for your laptop and etc. Instead, you'll be assigned a locker in the basement of the classroom building. Perfectly safe.
Ooh, I did not know this! How late are the classroom buildings open till? I'm guessing I can just swipe in and out to gain access into the building if it's locked past a certain time?

amissionsix

New

Post by amissionsix » Mon May 09, 2011 2:24 pm

rebelx13 wrote: I wanted to perhaps keep the 4 hour job for two reason: free gym access for myself (and a guest) at any location (which would then allow me to bypass having to go to the Tower's facilities to save time/effort) and it would just about cover my bart expenses for a week. Not worth it, you say?
Just a thought...but instead of using the four hours spent a week working for a free gym membership, why don't you spend those four ours actually working out. Then you gain four hours a week AND still get to work out for free. It just seems like the other way is more of a waste of "time/effort".

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Mon May 09, 2011 3:06 pm

rebelx13 wrote: While that I can still potentially deal with, I don't like the idea of a shared kitchen/bathroom with 20 other apartments on my floor. I've done that before during undergrad, but we didn't have only 1 bathroom/1 shower per floor.
wait, what?

rebelx13

New

Post by rebelx13 » Mon May 09, 2011 4:55 pm

Lasers wrote:
rebelx13 wrote: While that I can still potentially deal with, I don't like the idea of a shared kitchen/bathroom with 20 other apartments on my floor. I've done that before during undergrad, but we didn't have only 1 bathroom/1 shower per floor.
wait, what?
all the aparments that i viewed in the same general price range all were built like this. :/

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MST3K

New

Post by MST3K » Mon May 09, 2011 5:01 pm

Well, I paid my deposit to UC Hastings today. I started looking at housing... anyone want to share an apartment?
I'm female, clean, friendly, from AZ, have a car and motorcycle, I have a 25 lb. dog (he's very well behaved), don't really cook, and would prefer a non-smoking roommate..
PM me if interested.
Last edited by MST3K on Tue May 10, 2011 4:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

amissionsix

New

Post by amissionsix » Mon May 09, 2011 6:50 pm

rebelx13 wrote:
all the aparments that i viewed in the same general price range all were built like this. :/
If you are looking to live on your own it can be very expensive to start up a new lease. I would look to rent a room in the city from someone who has a lease already. Obviously you have to check them out and make sure it will be a quiet, stable environment. But this will me MUCH more affordable than living on your own.

OklahomasOK

Bronze

Post by OklahomasOK » Mon May 09, 2011 7:32 pm

Received an e-mail asking if I wanted to remain on the WL. Yes plz!

Glad Hastings didn't lose my file.

rebelx13

New

Post by rebelx13 » Mon May 09, 2011 7:34 pm

amissionsix wrote:
rebelx13 wrote:
If you are looking to live on your own it can be very expensive to start up a new lease. I would look to rent a room in the city from someone who has a lease already. Obviously you have to check them out and make sure it will be a quiet, stable environment. But this will me MUCH more affordable than living on your own.
Ideally, I'd like to split a single room at the Tower with another 1L, rather than looking for private housing (I've heard plenty of negative stories for housing in SF that I'd like to avoid it altogether if possible).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”