UC Hastings 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
MalachiConstant

New

Re: UC Hastings 2011

Post by MalachiConstant » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:31 am

SF Beer Week helps rebuild the self esteem that has been shattered by Hastings avoiding me like the plague.

LttleBlakDress

Bronze

Post by LttleBlakDress » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:01 am

MalachiConstant wrote:SF Beer Week helps rebuild the self esteem that has been shattered by Hastings avoiding me like the plague.
+1 on the SF Beer Week. Thank god. Also I think about how if I don't get in I will take classes at Community Colleges to raise my lsac gpa (does that work?) and retake the LSAT and come up with new volunteer activities to do and then do them and reapply. So that I don't give up forever.

usuallyjustlurks

New

Post by usuallyjustlurks » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:48 am

ilovesf wrote:Ugh!! I am SO tired of waiting! I got waitlisted today at ucd.. This is not a good sign for how things will turn out at Hastings. I'm getting so negative with all this waiting. What are you guys doing to keep your spirits up?

Edited bc I can't type :(

I was waitlisted at UCD yesterday too, but I got in to Hastings over a month ago. So I would say based on that it is definitely possible you will still get into Hastings. Good luck!!
Last edited by usuallyjustlurks on Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chicityteacher

Bronze

Post by chicityteacher » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:07 am

usuallyjustlurks wrote:
I was waitlisted at UCD yesterday too, but I got into Hastings over a month ago. So I would say based on that it is definitely possible you will still get into Hastings. Good luck!!
I also was just wait listed at Davis, but I got in to Hastings a while ago. At first Hastings wasn't even an option, but now I am seriously considering it. I'm still waiting on UW, but if that doesn't work out, I am going to have to think about Hastings or retaking and waiting another year.

usuallyjustlurks

New

Post by usuallyjustlurks » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:12 pm

If there's some reason why you don't think you'd be happy at Hastings then you should probably go somewhere else. Personally, I stopped considering Davis when I was accepted at Hastings because I like certain aspects of Hastings better and I need to be in a bigger city so my husband can get a job. I know there's been a pretty fiery argument on here about which school is better... I consider the fact that the argument is so intense to be a pretty strong indication that the 'actual' (meaning more than just personal preference) difference between the two schools is probably negligible. Waitlists are not for me, so I already withdrew from the Davis one. Almost withdrew before receiving a decision actually. Good luck getting in off of it if that's what you want!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chicityteacher

Bronze

Post by chicityteacher » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:22 am

I think that I could be happy there...SF is a great city and the school seems great, but is it worth it? Pretty spendy at sticker...

usuallyjustlurks

New

Post by usuallyjustlurks » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:17 am

chicityteacher wrote:I think that I could be happy there...SF is a great city and the school seems great, but is it worth it? Pretty spendy at sticker...
It is very expensive. I'm still considering a cheaper school myself (Arizona), but I will probably go to Hastings. Sounds like you have a tough decision to make. I would personally be more willing to go into more debt than wait another year to re-take the LSAT... I know that's the opposite of the TLS prevailing ideology, but I'm getting too old for this. Hey, if you're young enough and kind of want that extra year to prepare for LS anyway, I guess go for it. That's better than going to a school you're on the fence about for valid reasons and then regretting it later.

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:06 pm

usuallyjustlurks wrote:
chicityteacher wrote:I think that I could be happy there...SF is a great city and the school seems great, but is it worth it? Pretty spendy at sticker...
It is very expensive. I'm still considering a cheaper school myself (Arizona), but I will probably go to Hastings. Sounds like you have a tough decision to make. I would personally be more willing to go into more debt than wait another year to re-take the LSAT... I know that's the opposite of the TLS prevailing ideology, but I'm getting too old for this. Hey, if you're young enough and kind of want that extra year to prepare for LS anyway, I guess go for it. That's better than going to a school you're on the fence about for valid reasons and then regretting it later.
the thing i feel is most important in whether to go to hastings is do you want to practice law in california (specifically northern ca). if you do, and you won't be in a large amount of debt, it's a good move.

if you aren't sure, retaking is the best plan.

i had the same decision to make, but i'm from norcal and i'm all for living and working in sf/norcal/socal/ca in general. sf is the best city in the world, imo, and i'd love to be there.

thedumbwaiter

New

Post by thedumbwaiter » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:30 pm

Bleurgh, I'm so fed up with waiting. I applied on the 16th of November and went complete a couple days later. Obviously I'm happier waiting if it means I'll eventually be rewarded with an acceptance rather than a rejection. I can't remember ever wanting something so much.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LttleBlakDress

Bronze

Post by LttleBlakDress » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:42 am

thedumbwaiter wrote:Bleurgh, I'm so fed up with waiting. I applied on the 16th of November and went complete a couple days later. Obviously I'm happier waiting if it means I'll eventually be rewarded with an acceptance rather than a rejection. I can't remember ever wanting something so much.
I hear you. I think I applied 2 days after you and I attack the mailbox every day and my phone every time it rings... Good luck!

usernamer

New

Post by usernamer » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:04 pm

Do you think us November-ers still have a shot at acceptance at this point? I don't know what Hastings method is, but I know a lot of schools just hold files and release mass rejections in March.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:08 pm

usernamer wrote:Do you think us November-ers still have a shot at acceptance at this point? I don't know what Hastings method is, but I know a lot of schools just hold files and release mass rejections in March.
I have been wondering that for a while! I certainly hope not, I'm still waiting on my two top choices!

LttleBlakDress

Bronze

Post by LttleBlakDress » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:19 pm

ilovesf wrote:
usernamer wrote:Do you think us November-ers still have a shot at acceptance at this point? I don't know what Hastings method is, but I know a lot of schools just hold files and release mass rejections in March.
I have been wondering that for a while! I certainly hope not, I'm still waiting on my two top choices!
The Hastings deadline hasn't passed yet so I'm hoping they're just waiting to see if they need my LSAT...

I had my study abroad program send a copy of my study abroad transcript directly to the school last night. (I sent it to LSAC like 5 times but it never was processed...) They say they really don't want supplemental materials but this would raise my gpa from a 3.05 to a 3.21 so I'm hoping they'll at least look at it...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thedumbwaiter

New

Post by thedumbwaiter » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:11 pm

Oh man I really hope we still stand a chance. It hadn't even crossed my mind that it was too late. It seems like they only really started accepting people mid January so not that much time has passed. Maybe it's wishful thinking but I think we're still in the running. Good luck!

usernamer

New

Post by usernamer » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:08 pm

I think people have gotten rejected (and wl'd) already according to LSN, so I think (hope) we are still in it.

barklm

New

Post by barklm » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:19 am

Adding my application timeline to the list!

1/29: Sent my application.
2/3: My application was marked "complete"
2/10: Received a phone call at about 7:00pm EST advising me that I had been accepted.
2/14: Received my formal acceptance letter via USPS. It was a one page congratulations letter sans scholarship information.

Still waiting to hear on scholarship info! Hopefully they'll be releasing that information soon.

Puttanesca

Bronze

Post by Puttanesca » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:30 pm

FWIW, just withdrew my admission. Hope this helps someone. Good luck to all!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dswimmer

Bronze

Post by dswimmer » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:45 pm

Has anyone been offered schollys yet or does anyone know when they are expected to start offering?

MalachiConstant

New

Post by MalachiConstant » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:31 pm

WL.

Thankfully, their website states that they will let me know by the end of August.

wokeemilo

New

Post by wokeemilo » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:59 pm

MalachiConstant wrote:WL.

Thankfully, their website states that they will let me know by the end of August.
:(, did you hear back today?

i went complete early december, hoping my WL or ding arrives soon. i just want to KNOW.

MalachiConstant

New

Post by MalachiConstant » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:12 pm

Submitted 12/17. Received the email today.

Hastings is a great school but their waitlist email is notably condescending.

I guess Hastings is not a terrible school to be waitlisted at. Since their merit scholarships/financial aid are almost non-existent, many people will think twice about attending.

Now I am left waiting for Godot.. err UC Davis.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Longhorn88

Bronze

Post by Longhorn88 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:28 am

Off topic:

I didn't apply (Texan staying in state) but my girlfriend and I are going to San Francisco for 4 days for spring break. Do any of yall have any recommendations of what to do while we're there? Obviously we're going to ride a street car, see fisherman's wharf, go to Golden Gate park, but are there any suggestions for activities somewhat off the beaten path? I really love Chinese food but have been told that Chinatown is a tourist trap, is that true?

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:36 am

Longhorn88 wrote:Off topic:

I didn't apply (Texan staying in state) but my girlfriend and I are going to San Francisco for 4 days for spring break. Do any of yall have any recommendations of what to do while we're there? Obviously we're going to ride a street car, see fisherman's wharf, go to Golden Gate park, but are there any suggestions for activities somewhat off the beaten path? I really love Chinese food but have been told that Chinatown is a tourist trap, is that true?
I dunno about others, but I really enjoyed my trip to Alcatraz the first time I visited SF. Fisherman's Wharf is the very definition of tourist trap. Don't spend much time there. I'd visit Haight street and spend time going through those kinds of unique stores rather than waste time seeing scores of trinket peddlers selling $5.99 Gilman brand "I <3 SF" shirts.

Don't waste your time at that Aquarium near Fisherman's Wharf either. One thing that IS worth doing there is the farmers market at the Ferry Building, but check to make sure it is open when you are going to be there.

If you can, make a trip up to Marin County and visit Muir Woods. It's the closest redwood grove to SF. If you are in the mood for a hike in SF, you cannot beat the views from Land's End Trail. Be sure to go down to the beach there as well. Another good place for views of the city is Twin Peaks. If you have time to just drive around the city it can be pretty fun to follow the 49 Mile Drive.

The Deyoung museum is pretty cool if they have a good exhibition going. A few months ago they had a nice Birth of Impressionism exhibit. Cal Academy of Sciences is alright...too expensive in my opinion.

Aggiegrad2011

Gold

Post by Aggiegrad2011 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:41 am

I like biking across the GG bridge :D

thedumbwaiter

New

Post by thedumbwaiter » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:23 am

Also waitlisted yesterday. Booooo.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.