Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
thelaststraw05

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby thelaststraw05 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:30 am

09nlm wrote:
Flustercluck wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:
RJ127 wrote:I've really grown partial to Don Julio. If I had a choice, Jack Daniels or Hennessey would be my drinks. On the rocks or shots, don't really matter.

You had much scotch? If you like Jack and Hennessey, I'd love to introduce you to my friends Laphroaig and Lagavulin.

Gotta throw Talisker into the mix as well if you're talking scotch. Also, if you're talking Jack Daniels, Jim Beam Black Label is definitely worth a look.

We BELONG at NU.

Observe: http://www.law.northwestern.edu/scotch/home.htm

O.M.F.G.

I am in love. I think when I do finally make a decision about where to go, I may buy a bottle of Blue in celebration.

EDIT: Do you think it is a bad sign that we are discussing drinking so early in the morning?
Last edited by thelaststraw05 on Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

09nlm

Postby 09nlm » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:33 am

09nlm wrote:
Flustercluck wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:
RJ127 wrote:
We BELONG at NU.

Observe: http://www.law.northwestern.edu/scotch/home.htm

O.M.F.G.

I am in love. I think when I do finally make a decision about where to go, I may buy a bottle of Blue in celebration.

Is it bad that, during my interview, I cited the Scotch club as a main draw? Over/under on whether that destroyed my chances for admission?

krad

Postby krad » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:38 am

lollllll! I think that club has died (maybe I'm dreaming but I think the Students Taking ?s/Challenges thread had a discussion recently?), but current students are talking about starting it up again :mrgreen:

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:39 am

09nlm wrote:Is it bad that, during my interview, I cited the Scotch club as a main draw? Over/under on whether that destroyed my chances for admission?

I think it helped. It showed knowledge of what makes NU special, and it sets you apart as a mature applicant. Bonus points if you drank scotch during the interview.

09nlm

Postby 09nlm » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:39 am

krad wrote:lollllll! I think that club has died (maybe I'm dreaming but I think the Students Taking ?s/Challenges thread had a discussion recently?), but current students are talking about starting it up again :mrgreen:

As are current prospective students, no doubt.

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:42 am

Bumi wrote:
09nlm wrote:Is it bad that, during my interview, I cited the Scotch club as a main draw? Over/under on whether that destroyed my chances for admission?

I think it helped. It showed knowledge of what makes NU special, and it sets you apart as a mature applicant. Bonus points if you drank scotch during the interview.

Are those bonus points revoked if it was in a Starbucks cup and you said, "I need more morning fix." I just let them assume it was coffee!

(Note: If anyone knows my real world person, this is in fact a hypothetical and did not occur.)

krad

Postby krad » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:43 am

Bumi wrote: I think it helped. It showed knowledge of what makes NU special, and it sets you apart as a mature applicant. Bonus points if you drank scotch during the interview.

:lol:

09nlm wrote: As are current prospective students, no doubt.

No doubt indeed!

Oh NU, see how much we love you?

purplebulldogs

Postby purplebulldogs » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:15 pm

after 19 hours of waiting (and constantly re-downloading the PDF to see if it would work), my decision letter was finally fixed on the status check site.

and the result was just like everyone else's yesterday: ding.

thought i had a slight chance. 168, 3.73, masters degree, 2 years WE.

ahhh well. congrats to those that are in, and good luck to everyone else!

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:16 pm

purplebulldogs wrote:after 19 hours of waiting (and constantly re-downloading the PDF to see if it would work), my decision letter was finally fixed on the status check site.

=( sorry

I'm definitely screwed if you got dinged. When did you submit?

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:17 pm

Gotti wrote:
purplebulldogs wrote:after 19 hours of waiting (and constantly re-downloading the PDF to see if it would work), my decision letter was finally fixed on the status check site.

=( sorry

rather, when did you go complete

mr_toad

Postby mr_toad » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:18 pm

Sorry to hear that. Looks like yesterday was nothing but bad news. LSN was depressing to look at.

purplebulldogs

Postby purplebulldogs » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:24 pm

Gotti wrote:

=( sorry

submitted 12/15, went complete the same day.

although i have 2 years WE, i did not have my employer submit a CPE (just used my 2 LORs from professors). not sure how much that would have had to with it. probably could have submitted an addendum explaining how i haven't told my employer yet i'm planning on going to law school. hmm....

ah well.

krad

Postby krad » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:25 pm

Sorry to hear, purple! :(

SMA22

Postby SMA22 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:28 pm

Really sorry here as well :(

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:38 pm

purplebulldogs wrote:

although i have 2 years WE, i did not have my employer submit a CPE (just used my 2 LORs from professors). not sure how much that would have had to with it. probably could have submitted an addendum explaining how i haven't told my employer yet i'm planning on going to law school. hmm....

ah well.

hmmmm that's strange. did you interview and write a DS or Why NU essay?

I went complete 12/6 and i have a 164 which is FAR below the median. My GPA is above 75th and I haven't gotten a ding yet (i'm fully expecting one in a week or 2). I didn't submit a CPE, only 1 realllyyy good LOR (idk why I didn't submit all 3 of mine) and I wrote a really good (IMHO) Why NU and decent DS. almost 3 yrs with the same company and my interview went REALLY well. All I can do is hope that my LOR, interview, and Why NU essay is holding me back from a ding :?

purplebulldogs

Postby purplebulldogs » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:51 pm

Gotti wrote:
purplebulldogs wrote:

ah well.

hmmmm that's strange. did you interview and write a DS or Why NU essay?

I went complete 12/6 and i have a 164 which is FAR below the median. My GPA is above 75th and I haven't gotten a ding yet (i'm fully expecting one in a week or 2). I didn't submit a CPE, only 1 realllyyy good LOR (idk why I didn't submit all 3 of mine) and I wrote a really good (IMHO) Why NU and decent DS. almost 3 yrs with the same company and my interview went REALLY well. All I can do is hope that my LOR, interview, and Why NU essay is holding me back from a ding :?

yep, interviewed in october (thought that went pretty well), and wrote a short Why NU.

they have a stellar tax program, which was why it was my top choice out of the schools i thought i might get into.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:51 pm

Gotti wrote:hmmmm that's strange. did you interview and write a DS or Why NU essay?

You submitted regular LOR's even though they didn't want them?

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:58 pm

bk1 wrote:
Gotti wrote:hmmmm that's strange. did you interview and write a DS or Why NU essay?

they said they "preferred" a CPE but still accept regular LORs. I was not in a position in which I could ask my recommender to fill out a CPE, so I went with the regular LOR option...

SMA22

Postby SMA22 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:03 pm

I was in the same boat--I had just started a new position when I went to apply. I decided I'd rather send in something than nothing.

I also interviewed with NU, did a DS, a why NU, and really, really, really hope I get in.

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:05 pm

Dear Northwestern,

Please be my friend.

Love Always & Forever (unless you reject me),

Gotti

Ratchet Jackson

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:05 pm

bk1 wrote:

Northwestern admitted error in response to a TLS user's inquiry about the CPE forms. Essentially what happened was that there was conflicting information on LSAC and NU's law admissions site. One page said regular LORs are fine, the other said CPE forms were preferred/required. Something to this effect. NU basically acknowledged this, and I don't think people have been penalized for regular LORs as a result. This will probably be better enforced in later cycles. Many people have gotten in with regular LORs.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:17 pm

RJ127 wrote:Northwestern admitted error in response to a TLS user's inquiry about the CPE forms. Essentially what happened was that there was conflicting information on LSAC and NU's law admissions site. One page said regular LORs are fine, the other said CPE forms were preferred/required. Something to this effect. NU basically acknowledged this, and I don't think people have been penalized for regular LORs as a result. This will probably be better enforced in later cycles. Many people have gotten in with regular LORs.

Hmm, I should have paid more attention. Wondering should I send in my LOR's now considering my 8 weeks is supposedly up on February 1?

Ratchet Jackson

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:19 pm

bk1 wrote:
RJ127 wrote:Northwestern admitted error in response to a TLS user's inquiry about the CPE forms. Essentially what happened was that there was conflicting information on LSAC and NU's law admissions site. One page said regular LORs are fine, the other said CPE forms were preferred/required. Something to this effect. NU basically acknowledged this, and I don't think people have been penalized for regular LORs as a result. This will probably be better enforced in later cycles. Many people have gotten in with regular LORs.

Hmm, I should have paid more attention. Wondering should I send in my LOR's now considering my 8 weeks is supposedly up on February 1?

Couldn't hurt, but I would send it in the CPE format if you can. Best thing to do would be to call (anonymously) and find out what's best. Probably a good idea to hurry so a decision isn't rendered before the supplemental information gets attached. Best of luck.

jman77

Postby jman77 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:26 pm

bk1 wrote:

I didn't send any...well, tried to send 3 after the fact but I don't think Northwestern ever added them to my file, and I got in.

I think they weigh the interviews more significantly than the LORs/CPEs.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:29 pm

RJ127 wrote:Couldn't hurt, but I would send it in the CPE format if you can. Best thing to do would be to call (anonymously) and find out what's best. Probably a good idea to hurry so a decision isn't rendered before the supplemental information gets attached. Best of luck.

Can't really do CPE since my LOR's are all from professors.

I'll probably err on the side of not sending them at this point.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”