Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
planQ

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby planQ » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:22 am

Hey guys, I am sorry if this has been asked before. I submitted 11/30 or so, but had to wait until 1/05 or something like that to interview. It is currently complete, but does anyone know if the 8 week clocks starts on the 11/30 date or the 1/05? Or is it some undertermined time in between. I only ask because I had very similar time frames from Vanderbilt, i.e. submit in NOV and interview very early January and heard back this last Friday; and i don't know if i should get all nervous/checking things every 2 or 3 hours now or in a month and a half.

krad

Postby krad » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:41 am

planQ wrote:Hey guys, I am sorry if this has been asked before. I submitted 11/30 or so, but had to wait until 1/05 or something like that to interview. It is currently complete, but does anyone know if the 8 week clocks starts on the 11/30 date or the 1/05? Or is it some undertermined time in between. I only ask because I had very similar time frames from Vanderbilt, i.e. submit in NOV and interview very early January and heard back this last Friday; and i don't know if i should get all nervous/checking things every 2 or 3 hours now or in a month and a half.

I'd imagine you didn't go complete until after your interview, and the 8 weeks starts from your complete date if you were complete after Jan 1. Good luck!

dddhhh

Postby dddhhh » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:42 am

planQ wrote:Hey guys, I am sorry if this has been asked before. I submitted 11/30 or so, but had to wait until 1/05 or something like that to interview. It is currently complete, but does anyone know if the 8 week clocks starts on the 11/30 date or the 1/05? Or is it some undertermined time in between. I only ask because I had very similar time frames from Vanderbilt, i.e. submit in NOV and interview very early January and heard back this last Friday; and i don't know if i should get all nervous/checking things every 2 or 3 hours now or in a month and a half.

The second bullet point on your check status page should say: Once your application status is complete, please allow 8 weeks to receive a decision.

Your complete date should be listed above, so it would be whatever that date is.

09nlm

Postby 09nlm » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:38 am

I'm likely going to develop carpal tunnel. The source: clicking the refresh button for the twitter pages of @nulawadmissions and @tweetsbyjohann ad nauseum.

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:39 am

09nlm wrote:I'm likely going to develop carpal tunnel. The source: clicking the refresh button for the twitter pages of @nulawadmissions and @tweetsbyjohann ad nauseum.

+1

dcwumpus

Postby dcwumpus » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:41 am

09nlm wrote:I'm likely going to develop carpal tunnel. The source: clicking the refresh button for the twitter pages of @nulawadmissions and @tweetsbyjohann ad nauseum.

You can also get text alerts. Which I do. So, now I have a mild heart attack every time I get a phone call, email, AND text message.

krad

Postby krad » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:42 am

Yeah, bleh, looks like it could be this week friends! :shock:

kch3684

Postby kch3684 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:45 am

Do you think they'll continue with the Thurs/Fri notifications or go exactly 8 weeks from 12/1 (which is tomorrow!)

krad

Postby krad » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:47 am

kch3684 wrote:Do you think they'll continue with the Thurs/Fri notifications or go exactly 8 weeks from 12/1 (which is tomorrow!)

This is the heated debate... But 8 weeks is Wednesday, if I'm not mistaken?

I'm hoping for something this week, but I won't die if I don't get a decision until after 8 weeks :roll:

mr_toad

Postby mr_toad » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:49 am

Exactly. Take 12 if that's what it takes for you to decide to take moi.

rs2004

Postby rs2004 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:51 am

krad wrote:
kch3684 wrote:Do you think they'll continue with the Thurs/Fri notifications or go exactly 8 weeks from 12/1 (which is tomorrow!)

This is the heated debate... But 8 weeks is Wednesday, if I'm not mistaken?

I'm hoping for something this week, but I won't die if I don't get a decision until after 8 weeks :roll:

folks, just relax. NU's twitter said there would be a large batch of decisions coming along this week so if you aren't in those, then you wait for another week or two. NU seems to be really good with sending out decisions on time, and giving updates, and is the last school that I would worry about concerning its time management and updates. Can't say the same for some schools, yea I'm looking at you Cornell and U Washington.

kch3684

Postby kch3684 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:52 am

I was figuring 56 days - 31 for December then 25 in January but I guess it could be counted in different ways...would be easier if they gave us a know-by date instead of a vague 8 weeks.

edit - I know that in the grand scheme of things a day or two doesn't matter but if wait-listed (probably the best result I'm going to get) I want to get a jump on having my boss fill out the evaluation form he's kinda slow and writing a LOCI

krad

Postby krad » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:54 am

Haha yeah, I think they're being semi vague with the 8 weeks on purpose?

And I agree with ya RS, which is why I won't die if I don't get a decision this week. <glances at countless other schools on the list that suck at time management>

thisiswater1488

Postby thisiswater1488 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:57 am

For what it's worth, I was complete last year on 11/19 and I got admitted on 3/10. And I didn't hear a peep from NU until 3/10. The "8 week" thing is really not a hard and fast rule. I don't even know why they post it.

mr_toad

Postby mr_toad » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:06 pm

Anyone know off hand the Need Access deadline for NU? The link on their page is broken (at least from my applicant info page).

mr_toad

Postby mr_toad » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:08 pm

Never mind, found it here. https://www.law.northwestern.edu/admiss ... ctions.pdf . Feb 15/Mar 1 (recommended/deadline).

Jackson Pollock

Postby Jackson Pollock » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:09 pm

Hmmm. Big batch of decisions this week. Many people's 8 week limit will be ending this week.

Ergo, many waitlists/denials in this batch?

Shit.

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:19 pm

mr_toad wrote:Never mind, found it here. https://www.law.northwestern.edu/admiss ... ctions.pdf . Feb 15/Mar 1 (recommended/deadline).

Thanks, I was also looking for that. Still trying to wrap my head around on how to "assess my position for merit aid." Also, the needaccess.org application is a biatch, not sure why it is requiring me to disclose my parents financial situation when I am no longer have required to on the FAFSA.

The prompt just feels alien... "Yah I know my GPA is crap, but I balled the LSAT... gib money plz."
Last edited by ArchRoark on Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

arism87

Postby arism87 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:20 pm

Has anyone who was admitted looked at the scholarship/financial aid application process? The essays are:

1. Please describe in detail how Northwestern Law will uniquely help you reach your short-term and long-term career goals. (300-500 words)
2. Northwestern Law administers an extensive program of scholarships and grants, all of which are awarded on a combined basis of merit and financial need. Please assess your position for merit aid and discuss your financial need for aid. (300-500 words)

WTF do you do with #2? Assess your position for merit aid? What are they looking for?

arism87

Postby arism87 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:21 pm

ArchRoark wrote:
mr_toad wrote:Never mind, found it here. https://www.law.northwestern.edu/admiss ... ctions.pdf . Feb 15/Mar 1 (recommended/deadline).

Thanks, I was also looking for that. Still trying to wrap my head around on how to "assess my position for merit aid."

The prompt just feels alien... "Yah I know my GPA is crap, but I balled the LSAT... gib money plz."

Ahaha you beat me to it! Seriously, is this a place to mention my GPA/LSAT? Other scholarships to higher ranked schools, maybe, which implies GPA/LSAT? Awkward.

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:25 pm

arism87 wrote:Ahaha you beat me to it! Seriously, is this a place to mention my GPA/LSAT? Other scholarships to higher ranked schools, maybe, which implies GPA/LSAT? Awkward.

Yah, I am really not sure if I should mention competing offers and/or my uneasiness in taking on a large amount of debt. If anybody who is a current NU student that received a scholly offer would be willing to PM me their response to this question, I would be interested in reading how they approached the prompt.

Also, for number one, is it appropriate to just rehash the "Why NU? essay" I submitted with my application?

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:29 pm

arism87 wrote:
ArchRoark wrote:

Thanks, I was also looking for that. Still trying to wrap my head around on how to "assess my position for merit aid."

Ahaha you beat me to it! Seriously, is this a place to mention my GPA/LSAT? Other scholarships to higher ranked schools, maybe, which implies GPA/LSAT? Awkward.

i love your avatar.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:33 pm

ArchRoark wrote:
arism87 wrote:Ahaha you beat me to it! Seriously, is this a place to mention my GPA/LSAT? Other scholarships to higher ranked schools, maybe, which implies GPA/LSAT? Awkward.

Yah, I am really not sure if I should mention competing offers and/or my uneasiness in taking on a large amount of debt. If anybody who is a current NU student that received a scholly offer would be willing to PM me their response to this question, I would be interested in reading how they approached the prompt.

Also, for number one, is it appropriate to just rehash the "Why NU? essay" I submitted with my application?

For assessing my position for merit, I mentioned my LSAT while delicately avoiding my GPA. I also mentioned diversity factors and other softs. The need based bit was much longer.

dcwumpus

Postby dcwumpus » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:35 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:
ArchRoark wrote:

For assessing my position for merit, I mentioned my LSAT while delicately avoiding my GPA. I also mentioned diversity factors and other softs. The need based bit was much longer.

For the need-based portion, is it acceptable to talk about the fact that you're GOING to be poor? I.E., you're not planning on doing biglaw?

arism87

Postby arism87 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:47 pm

dcwumpus wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:
ArchRoark wrote:

For the need-based portion, is it acceptable to talk about the fact that you're GOING to be poor? I.E., you're not planning on doing biglaw?

I plan to mention this- relying solely on LRAP programs makes me nervous. What is the formal way to refer to biglaw?

Gotti: Thanks!! I like yours too!

PS this is awkward. I haven't had to beg for money since those awkward phone calls home during undergrad. I don't miss it.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”