Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
azure55
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:11 pm

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby azure55 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:30 pm

thesybarite wrote:Interviewed in Sept, haven't applied yet.

Signing on to this thread to motivate myself. What's the general consensus with the new LOR thing - has everyone done it?


It's probably too late for a lot of people, but...

I did an on-campus interview 10/18 and asked my interviewer about the whole LOR/CPE thing. Basically, they accept traditional LORs (as specifically stated on the admissions blog), but if you have WE, they prefer a CPE. If you’re in my situation (you don’t want your employer to know you’re leaving for law school yet), you write an addendum explaining that that’s why you sent a traditional LOR. I used two professors who supervised me in work settings – an internship abroad and a grad school job. I asked them to focus on several of the topics that come up in the CPE. My interviewer said there's seriously nothing wrong with sending LORs. She even went down the hall and checked.

It would be nice if they explained that better in the application.
Last edited by azure55 on Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
arism87
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:46 pm

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby arism87 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:35 pm

azure55 wrote:
thesybarite wrote:Interviewed in Sept, haven't applied yet.

Signing on to this thread to motivate myself. What's the general consensus with the new LOR thing - has everyone done it?


It's probably too late for a lot of people, but...

I did an on-campus interview 10/18 and asked my interviewer about the whole LOR/CPE thing. Basically, they accept traditional LORs (as specifically stated on the admissions blog), but if you have WE, they prefer a CPE. If you’re in my situation (you don’t want your employer to know you’re leaving for law school yet), you write an addendum explaining that that’s why you sent a traditional LOR. I used two professors who supervised me in work settings – an internship in Bangkok and a grad school job in DC. I asked them to focus on several of the topics that come up in the CPE. My interviewer said there's seriously nothing wrong with sending LORs. She even went down the hall and checked.

It would be nice if they explained that better in the application.


This is not what they told me in an email, FWIW

User avatar
azure55
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:11 pm

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby azure55 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:11 pm

arism87 wrote:
azure55 wrote:
thesybarite wrote:Interviewed in Sept, haven't applied yet.

Signing on to this thread to motivate myself. What's the general consensus with the new LOR thing - has everyone done it?


It's probably too late for a lot of people, but...

I did an on-campus interview 10/18 and asked my interviewer about the whole LOR/CPE thing. Basically, they accept traditional LORs (as specifically stated on the admissions blog), but if you have WE, they prefer a CPE. If you’re in my situation (you don’t want your employer to know you’re leaving for law school yet), you write an addendum explaining that that’s why you sent a traditional LOR. I used two professors who supervised me in work settings – an internship abroad and a grad school job. I asked them to focus on several of the topics that come up in the CPE. My interviewer said there's seriously nothing wrong with sending LORs. She even went down the hall and checked.

It would be nice if they explained that better in the application.


This is not what they told me in an email, FWIW



Interesting, now I’m curious what they told you. I also had asked in an e-mail before my interview, and they said the same thing my interviewer said. (I’m paranoid and asked my interviewer just to be sure.) And here’s what the admissions blog 9/10 said:

--LinkRemoved--

Here’s the last bit of the blog post.
Okay, so, what if I still want to submit a Letter of Recommendation?
Understandably, we've been hearing this question a lot. The truth: you can pretty much submit whatever you want to us, but we prefer the CPE. However, if you have an awesome LOR and you feel your application just wouldn't be complete without it, then go ahead and send it. Though please be aware that we will NOT be holding applications as incomplete for either CPEs or LORs, as both are now optional components. Translation: build in time for submission, otherwise your application may be reviewed without it.

Basically, go with the CPE unless you have a legit reason justifying a LOR (like not wanting your boss to freak out that you’re leaving, which is pretty common at a school that focuses on WE).
Last edited by azure55 on Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aggiegrad2011
Posts: 1514
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:11 pm

Did anyone else's status recently revert to incomplete? I am baffled...

User avatar
arism87
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:46 pm

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby arism87 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:14 pm

Interesting, now I’m curious what they told you



My actual question:

"I am in the process of completing my application and have a question regarding letters of recommendation. On the application and the instructions on LSAC's site, I read that the recommender must complete the CPE Form in lieu of a letter. However, on your website I read that letters submitted to LSAC may be used and that the form is just a guideline. What is your policy regarding letters of recommendation? Is there a preferred method?"

Their answer:

"Thank you for your interest in Northwestern Law. For the JD application process this year, we have asked that if a candidate wishes to submit a recommendation, that they please use the Career Progress Evaluation Form in lieu of an actual letter. This CPE form can be found on LSAC, as well as our website(where it can be submitted electronically). Our apologies as our website is currently posting incorrect information about the requirement of recommendation letters and we are working diligently to update it with this new information."

FWIW, this was back in September-- maybe they changed their minds due to the confusion or something?

aquyenl
Posts: 154
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:57 pm

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby aquyenl » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:12 am

i'm wondering about the cpe also...i collected all of my LORs last year and have been submitted last year. it would be an absolute pain to return to the recommenders and ask them to fill out an additional form. CPE is the only reason my app has not been sent in yet.

User avatar
Eugenie Danglars
Posts: 2353
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:21 am

Went complete yesterday after confirming via email I'm not interviewing. Apparently there was some confusion.

User avatar
Remnantofisrael
Posts: 335
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 4:38 pm

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby Remnantofisrael » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:45 am

eliekedourie wrote:Is anyone else ED or am I all alone?


I submitted everything yesterday for ED- now I'm worried- I know they received it, but its processing. The early decision agreement states, "please submit this form with your application...Deadline for return of form is December 1."

But now do I have to be worried that I didn't get my ED in on time even though I have an email stating they have received the app? I'm really worried so if anyone can take me down a notch, I'd appreciate it.

User avatar
Remnantofisrael
Posts: 335
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 4:38 pm

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby Remnantofisrael » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:47 am

arism87 wrote:
Interesting, now I’m curious what they told you



My actual question:

"I am in the process of completing my application and have a question regarding letters of recommendation. On the application and the instructions on LSAC's site, I read that the recommender must complete the CPE Form in lieu of a letter. However, on your website I read that letters submitted to LSAC may be used and that the form is just a guideline. What is your policy regarding letters of recommendation? Is there a preferred method?"

Their answer:

"Thank you for your interest in Northwestern Law. For the JD application process this year, we have asked that if a candidate wishes to submit a recommendation, that they please use the Career Progress Evaluation Form in lieu of an actual letter. This CPE form can be found on LSAC, as well as our website(where it can be submitted electronically). Our apologies as our website is currently posting incorrect information about the requirement of recommendation letters and we are working diligently to update it with this new information."

FWIW, this was back in September-- maybe they changed their minds due to the confusion or something?


As I understand it, the info most employers put in an LOR is much less helpful than what is in the CPE, hence the need/want for that. So an LOR carries less weight basically. My old boss did both for me actually, even though I'm sure they are repetitive.

wonkymonkey
Posts: 53
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:59 pm

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby wonkymonkey » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:35 pm

same. I couldn't get her to commit to a date to send in the CPE so I sent in the app with her letter and she later informed me that she had sent in the CPE.

yanksbgood
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:27 pm

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby yanksbgood » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:10 pm

For all those complete by today, the countdown begins. We should receive our decisions in 8 weeks. Yay!

User avatar
lunaissleeping
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:34 am

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby lunaissleeping » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:15 pm

yanksbgood wrote:For all those complete by today, the countdown begins. We should receive our decisions in 8 weeks. Yay!


cheers! good luck everyone!

TrustMeI'mAnActress
Posts: 182
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:43 pm

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby TrustMeI'mAnActress » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:18 pm

To those who've already had their Northwestern interviews...what kinds of questions do they ask? Anything outside the norm? Help is appreciated!

Aggiegrad2011
Posts: 1514
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:25 pm

TrustMeI'mAnActress wrote:To those who've already had their Northwestern interviews...what kinds of questions do they ask? Anything outside the norm? Help is appreciated!


It REALLY depends on whether it's the on-campus interview or with an alumnus off-campus. Everyone who has had an on-campus interview said that it was very formal and there were the "usual" questions asked - Why law school, if you don't get in this cycle to ANYWHERE, what will you do, etc. There is a "northwestern interview" thread that you should be able to find pretty easily via searching.

I had an off-campus interview with a law partner and it was incredibly relaxed in comparison to the pretty solid questioning on-campus folks report.

User avatar
obrienfa
Posts: 233
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:05 pm

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby obrienfa » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:59 pm

arism87 wrote:
Interesting, now I’m curious what they told you



My actual question:

"I am in the process of completing my application and have a question regarding letters of recommendation. On the application and the instructions on LSAC's site, I read that the recommender must complete the CPE Form in lieu of a letter. However, on your website I read that letters submitted to LSAC may be used and that the form is just a guideline. What is your policy regarding letters of recommendation? Is there a preferred method?"

Their answer:

"Thank you for your interest in Northwestern Law. For the JD application process this year, we have asked that if a candidate wishes to submit a recommendation, that they please use the Career Progress Evaluation Form in lieu of an actual letter. This CPE form can be found on LSAC, as well as our website(where it can be submitted electronically). Our apologies as our website is currently posting incorrect information about the requirement of recommendation letters and we are working diligently to update it with this new information."

FWIW, this was back in September-- maybe they changed their minds due to the confusion or something?


I talked to an admissions rep at end of Sept/beginning of October and was told to do either or.

User avatar
ArchRoark
Posts: 1000
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:53 pm

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby ArchRoark » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:51 pm

TrustMeI'mAnActress wrote:To those who've already had their Northwestern interviews...what kinds of questions do they ask? Anything outside the norm? Help is appreciated!

Mine was off campus and was pretty thorough, but still relaxed. Lasted about a little over an hour. I would search for threads on the topic. For me, all the usual questions (why law, why nw, leadership experience, work experience).
Last edited by ArchRoark on Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
mr_toad
Posts: 669
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:08 am

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby mr_toad » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:50 pm

lunaissleeping wrote:
yanksbgood wrote:For all those complete by today, the countdown begins. We should receive our decisions in 8 weeks. Yay!


cheers! good luck everyone!


+1 :)

Aggiegrad2011
Posts: 1514
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:24 pm

Jees, just 8 weeks. :roll:

silly101
Posts: 240
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:12 pm

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby silly101 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:14 pm

so RD ppl come out late Jan?

User avatar
NZA
Posts: 1285
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:01 pm

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby NZA » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:19 pm

Does anyone know if they do not start evaluating your app until they receive your interview? Like, I sent my app in a week or so ago, but my interview isn't until the 10th.

Is that bad...?

User avatar
ArchRoark
Posts: 1000
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:53 pm

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby ArchRoark » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:06 pm

NZA wrote:Does anyone know if they do not start evaluating your app until they receive your interview? Like, I sent my app in a week or so ago, but my interview isn't until the 10th.

Is that bad...?


It wouldn't be considered a complete application until your interview report is sent in. Unless of course you checked the box on the application that stated you do not intend to interview, which since you are interviewing is not applicable. My guess is they will hold off, especially given the weight placed on interviews.

User avatar
NZA
Posts: 1285
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:01 pm

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby NZA » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:07 pm

ArchRoark wrote:
NZA wrote:Does anyone know if they do not start evaluating your app until they receive your interview? Like, I sent my app in a week or so ago, but my interview isn't until the 10th.

Is that bad...?


It wouldn't be considered a complete application until your interview report is sent in. Unless of course you checked the box on the application that stated you do not intend to interview, which since you are interviewing is not applicable. My guess is they will hold off, especially given the weight placed on interviews.


Balls. Guess I'll just have to rock the interview. :shock: Thanks for the info, though.

User avatar
Upton Sinclair
Posts: 233
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:10 pm

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby Upton Sinclair » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:15 pm

eliekedourie wrote:Anyone else apply ED? I think we can expect a decision in roughly 3 weeks. Last year the first wave came on Dec. 22nd.


I'm with you, dude, and we are semi-close applicants from what I can see. Our numbers are almost identical, but you have two extra years WE.

I absolutely love Chicago and Northwestern. Here's hoping we both get in there. Good luck, my friend.

User avatar
eliekedourie
Posts: 216
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:27 pm

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby eliekedourie » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:18 pm

Upton Sinclair wrote:
eliekedourie wrote:Anyone else apply ED? I think we can expect a decision in roughly 3 weeks. Last year the first wave came on Dec. 22nd.


I'm with you, dude, and we are semi-close applicants from what I can see. Our numbers are almost identical, but you have two extra years WE.

I absolutely love Chicago and Northwestern. Here's hoping we both get in there. Good luck, my friend.


Thanks dude. You too. I can't wait to just get in so I can stop giving a s**t about acceptances or rejections at other schools.

Also, my girlfriend is constantly looking up apartments on craigslist b/c they're so cheap and huge compared to NY. We're both pretty ready to move to Chicago.

User avatar
Remnantofisrael
Posts: 335
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 4:38 pm

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby Remnantofisrael » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:40 pm

ED waiting as well. From some quick research, the ED decisions started rolling out in January, I think, a couple years back. I can double check. I would really like to know when they were originally stated for release to get a better gauge.

EDIT: Anything I stated about an increase in ED was based off undergrad ED numbers. This is what I get for trusting an email link without looking into it myself. Derp.
Last edited by Remnantofisrael on Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Aquinas, blackpi, carlos_danger, cd1945, dala77, fortunecookie1, Google [Bot], jdanz, jtn123, proteinshake, Thomas Hagan, ESQ., Tsubomi93 and 49 guests