Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
MillerTime

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby MillerTime » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:23 am

marlow wrote:Hey guys! Was accepted last week after submitting first week of December. Coming fresh out of undergrad, no full time WE... wanted to give some hope to the rest of you out there! Good luck to everyone! :)

Congrats!

dcwumpus

Postby dcwumpus » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:27 am

Each bump = mild heart attack.

krad

Postby krad » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:28 am

Yeahhh sorry I realized that after I posted this AM...

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:29 am

marlow wrote:Hey guys! Was accepted last week after submitting first week of December. Coming fresh out of undergrad, no full time WE... wanted to give some hope to the rest of you out there! Good luck to everyone! :)

Congrats! What were your stats if you don't mind? Must be really high for acceptance so early w/o WE.

BTW I wrote a diversity essay and a Why NU essay....do you think I should write the project management essay too and have them add it to my file? I submitted 12/1 and went complete 12/6 --> 12/28 so I don't know if they've already reviewed my file or not. Is it worth it?

FYI: My LSAT is 6 points below the median but GPA is very well above...lots of time at the same company (PT during my junior and senior year and full time since graduation...will be 3 years here by the time I enter LS) and work ever since summer after freshman year. Average - decent softs, good PS

MillerTime

Postby MillerTime » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:30 am

Me too.. after I posted I got excited because I saw the NU thread up top.. but it was just me. At least they update their Twitter so we know when decisions are being sent out!

krad

Postby krad » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:38 am

Gotti wrote:BTW I wrote a diversity essay and a Why NU essay....do you think I should write the project management essay too and have them add it to my file? I submitted 12/1 and went complete 12/6 --> 12/28 so I don't know if they've already reviewed my file or not. Is it worth it?

FYI: My LSAT is 6 points below the median but GPA is very well above...lots of time at the same company (PT during my junior and senior year and full time since graduation...will be 3 years here by the time I enter LS) and work ever since summer after freshman year. Average - decent softs, good PS

I'd add it all and if you have a good project management story, write that as well! FWIW I originally did all 3 and submitted with my app. Good luck :)

rbarcelo9

Postby rbarcelo9 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:33 pm

Sorry to bump the thread, but after researching NU and my interview yesterday, NU has become my #1. I'm a little below their numbers, but I feel like my interview went well and my application is pretty strong. I've already submitted a PS and DS with my app, but was wondering if I should submit a why NU essay and have it attached to my file? Also I didn't send my standard letters of Rec with my app, I have read that NU doesn't take LORs from LSAC after the initial CAS report has been sent. Has this been confirmed? Thanks for the input and good luck to everyone!

Upton Sinclair

Postby Upton Sinclair » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:40 pm

rbarcelo9 wrote:Sorry to bump the thread, but after researching NU and my interview yesterday, NU has become my #1. I'm a little below their numbers, but I feel like my interview went well and my application is pretty strong. I've already submitted a PS and DS with my app, but was wondering if I should submit a why NU essay and have it attached to my file? Also I didn't send my standard letters of Rec with my app, I have read that NU doesn't take LORs from LSAC after the initial CAS report has been sent. Has this been confirmed? Thanks for the input and good luck to everyone!

1) If NU is truly your number one choice, I would submit every possible optional essay. A couple hours is well worth your time.

2) Contact the office and LSAC. There was initially a misunderstanding by many applicants (myself included) that thought NU wouldn't accept traditional LOR. This isn't true. I initially didn't send anything with my ED app., and was deferred to the RD pool. I'm sending 2 LOR tomorrow, so maybe that'll help? You never know.

rbarcelo9

Postby rbarcelo9 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:43 pm

Upton Sinclair wrote:
rbarcelo9 wrote:Sorry to bump the thread, but after researching NU and my interview yesterday, NU has become my #1. I'm a little below their numbers, but I feel like my interview went well and my application is pretty strong. I've already submitted a PS and DS with my app, but was wondering if I should submit a why NU essay and have it attached to my file? Also I didn't send my standard letters of Rec with my app, I have read that NU doesn't take LORs from LSAC after the initial CAS report has been sent. Has this been confirmed? Thanks for the input and good luck to everyone!

1) If NU is truly your number one choice, I would submit every possible optional essay. A couple hours is well worth your time.

2) Contact the office and LSAC. There was initially a misunderstanding by many applicants (myself included) that thought NU wouldn't accept traditional LOR. This isn't true. I initially didn't send anything with my ED app., and was deferred to the RD pool. I'm sending 2 LOR tomorrow, so maybe that'll help? You never know.

How are you sending your LORs? through LSAC or are you having your recommenders forward them to the school?

Upton Sinclair

Postby Upton Sinclair » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:47 pm

rbarcelo9 wrote:
Upton Sinclair wrote:

How are you sending your LORs? through LSAC or are you having your recommenders forward them to the school?

I'm sure someone else can better answer this, as I haven't made any calls yet. However, it's my understanding that if you call the office and explain the situation to them and LSAC, you can just submit using LSAC. If I have any luck before you try, I'll PM you and let you know.

rs2004

Postby rs2004 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:52 pm

Upton Sinclair wrote:
rbarcelo9 wrote:
Upton Sinclair wrote:

I'm sure someone else can better answer this, as I haven't made any calls yet. However, it's my understanding that if you call the office and explain the situation to them and LSAC, you can just submit using LSAC. If I have any luck before you try, I'll PM you and let you know.

how about this?

http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissi ... recom.html

rupret1

Postby rupret1 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:21 pm

Upton Sinclair wrote:
rbarcelo9 wrote:
Upton Sinclair wrote:

I tried to do this and was told by Northwestern that they do not accept any letters through LSAC after the original transfer because they don't require letters at all. The problem was with my LSAC file, that somehow my letters weren't attached when the batch went out. LSAC also contacted NU on my behalf, and they were told the same thing. The lady from LSAC was really nice (like 10,000x nicer than the person from NU) and she said that she was sorry but NU said they wouldn't take the letters. I then had my CEO fill out the on-line version of their recommendation form and send that, but it was a PITA because he had already written a letter and their survey takes a pretty long time. It's not multiple choice.

ctroutma123

Postby ctroutma123 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:09 pm

My status checker changed from:

Application Status
Your application was received on 11/22/2010 and is complete as of 11/22/2010.

to:
Application Status
Your application was received on 11/22/2010 and is complete as of 1/11/2011.

Has this happened to anybody else? Wondering if they are going to start my 8 week waiting period over again. Any ideas?

arism87

Postby arism87 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:21 pm

rupret1 wrote:I tried to do this and was told by Northwestern that they do not accept any letters through LSAC after the original transfer because they don't require letters at all. The problem was with my LSAC file, that somehow my letters weren't attached when the batch went out. LSAC also contacted NU on my behalf, and they were told the same thing. The lady from LSAC was really nice (like 10,000x nicer than the person from NU) and she said that she was sorry but NU said they wouldn't take the letters. I then had my CEO fill out the on-line version of their recommendation form and send that, but it was a PITA because he had already written a letter and their survey takes a pretty long time. It's not multiple choice.

Just out of curiosity, did you actually try this or did you contact them first? After I realized they would accept an LSAC LOR (they originally told me they would only take their form) I submitted one through LSAC. I never heard anything back about it NOT going through, so just curious what happened there

dddhhh

Postby dddhhh » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:48 pm

ctroutma123 wrote:My status checker changed from:

Application Status
Your application was received on 11/22/2010 and is complete as of 11/22/2010.

to:
Application Status
Your application was received on 11/22/2010 and is complete as of 1/11/2011.

Has this happened to anybody else? Wondering if they are going to start my 8 week waiting period over again. Any ideas?

Application Status: "Your completion date may change as your file undergoes internal processing, but these changes will not lengthen the review period for your application."

rupret1

Postby rupret1 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:52 pm

My file never showed as transferred from LSAC, so I called NU who told me they wouldn't transfer it because they don't require LOR's. That's when I called LSAC to see if they could help. They called the person at NU who is in charge of transmitting the materials from LSAC to NU, and that person told the LSAC lady the same thing the NU guy told me, that they wouldn't take any LOR's after the original file.

I hope that clears it up.

mss455

Postby mss455 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:40 pm

Bump: I thought NU was going to have some decisions this week .... PLEASE let me in !!!!!

whathojeeves

Postby whathojeeves » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:34 pm

Okay, so I know that the blog said that Northwestern will take any letter of rec (not just the CPE). However, since we can't send letters from LSAC now, do you guys think it would be acceptable if my recommender gives me a sealed copy of my LOR (signature across the back flap etc) for me to enclose with my hard copy LOCI? Thoughts? Anyone?

rbarcelo9

Postby rbarcelo9 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:38 pm

whathojeeves wrote:Okay, so I know that the blog said that Northwestern will take any letter of rec (not just the CPE). However, since we can't send letters from LSAC now, do you guys think it would be acceptable if my recommender gives me a sealed copy of my LOR (signature across the back flap etc) for me to enclose with my hard copy LOCI? Thoughts? Anyone?

Sounds like a good idea to me. I may be doing the same thing, or I may just have my recommender email his letter directly to the admissions office with my LSAC information and applicant ID # that NU provided.

whathojeeves

Postby whathojeeves » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:42 pm

rbarcelo9 wrote:
whathojeeves wrote:Okay, so I know that the blog said that Northwestern will take any letter of rec (not just the CPE). However, since we can't send letters from LSAC now, do you guys think it would be acceptable if my recommender gives me a sealed copy of my LOR (signature across the back flap etc) for me to enclose with my hard copy LOCI? Thoughts? Anyone?

Sounds like a good idea to me. I may be doing the same thing, or I may just have my recommender email his letter directly to the admissions office with my LSAC information and applicant ID # that NU provided.

You are one smart cookie!

rbarcelo9

Postby rbarcelo9 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:45 pm

Good afternoon,

I had a question concerning letters of recommendation. When I originally submitted my application in December I was under the impression that the only way a letter would be accepted is if it was the Northwestern Career Progress Evaluation. I am writing to see if this is in fact the only way the admissions office would accept a letter of recommendation.

If this is not the case, is there a way that I could submit my letters of recommendation through LSAC and have them attached to my file?

Thank you.

Thank you for your interest in Northwestern Law. The Career Progress Evaluation Form(CPE), like a normal letter of recommendation, is an optional submission for our JD application this cycle. Because neither form is required to complete your application, using the preferred CPE form will maximize your chances of having your recommendation(s) be reviewed by our Admissions Committee.

If you are unable to submit a CPE form and only have a regular recommendation letter to submit, we do understand. Please also note that submitting regular letters of recommendation will not have a negative impact on your application.

Regards,

Steven Petrie

Not sure if this means it can in fact be transmitted via LSAC, but will be calling LSAC shortly to see what they say.

whathojeeves

Postby whathojeeves » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:47 pm

rbarcelo9 wrote:Good afternoon,

I had a question concerning letters of recommendation. When I originally submitted my application in December I was under the impression that the only way a letter would be accepted is if it was the Northwestern Career Progress Evaluation. I am writing to see if this is in fact the only way the admissions office would accept a letter of recommendation.

If this is not the case, is there a way that I could submit my letters of recommendation through LSAC and have them attached to my file?

Thank you.

Thank you for your interest in Northwestern Law. The Career Progress Evaluation Form(CPE), like a normal letter of recommendation, is an optional submission for our JD application this cycle. Because neither form is required to complete your application, using the preferred CPE form will maximize your chances of having your recommendation(s) be reviewed by our Admissions Committee.

If you are unable to submit a CPE form and only have a regular recommendation letter to submit, we do understand. Please also note that submitting regular letters of recommendation will not have a negative impact on your application.

Regards,

Steven Petrie

Not sure if this means it can in fact be transmitted via LSAC, but will be calling LSAC shortly to see what they say.

According to LSAC online (when you look under "Assign letters of rec"), Northwestern only allows LSAC to transmit once i.e. when your initial application goes in, all materials need to be with it. Let me know if this has changed!

gov

Postby gov » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:47 pm

fwiw, I submitted 2 LORs with my app through LSAC...and they were transmitted. In addition, I had my boss submit a CPE online. I figured if they went through, I want them to have the chance to read them, as they are good LORs.

rbarcelo9

Postby rbarcelo9 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:50 pm

govorett wrote:fwiw, I submitted 2 LORs with my app through LSAC...and they were transmitted. In addition, I had my boss submit a CPE online. I figured if they went through, I want them to have the chance to read them, as they are good LORs.

I'm sure it transmitted if you attached them with your ORIGINAL app. The problem me and a few others are having is getting our LORs to NU after our original app has been transmitted. Both my LORs are on LSAC and I feel bad asking my recommended to submit another one directly to NU. I'm hoping he saved it on his computer.

whathojeeves

Postby whathojeeves » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:04 pm

rbarcelo9 wrote:
govorett wrote:fwiw, I submitted 2 LORs with my app through LSAC...and they were transmitted. In addition, I had my boss submit a CPE online. I figured if they went through, I want them to have the chance to read them, as they are good LORs.

I'm sure it transmitted if you attached them with your ORIGINAL app. The problem me and a few others are having is getting our LORs to NU after our original app has been transmitted. Both my LORs are on LSAC and I feel bad asking my recommended to submit another one directly to NU. I'm hoping he saved it on his computer.

Exactly.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”