Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
boushi

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby boushi » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:28 pm

snldude wrote:
boushi wrote:
snldude wrote:I'm looking for some advice regarding whether I should bother with my Northwestern interview. The thing is, I'm in DC right now and it's LA on Tuesday. Originally, I thought I'd be there by now, but plans have changed. I asked them about moving it to the east coast, but they said it's too late for that.

I ask whether I should bother, because I would seem to be on the edge anyway. I have a 170LSAT, 3.5 gpa, and a PHD. But I submitted late, on December 6th and didn't send any reference letters because I couldn't get that evaluation they wanted in time, and read the directions to mean that I couldn't get that, to send nothing.

So I would seem to already have two strikes against me. I also wouldn't accept the offer if there weren't some financial aid, as I've already gotten into UVA and couldn't take on the extra expense of living in Chicago. Northwestern's older student body does appeal to me though, as I would be in my 30s by the time I start.

So it would be rather inconvenient for me to get to LA earlier that I have scheduled, but I could do it. But if my chances are really low, then I won't bother.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

Honestly, first you should submit your normal recommendations. I think there was some confusion over the new recommendation system, but the dean clarified via his blog that the CPE were not necessary, though the application itself seems to imply they are. I submitted with normal recommendations and was accepted earlier today.

Not sure about whether you'd get in or get money, but I think you should probably still do the interview and at least talk your interviewee. At this point, if you have a chance, it'll probably only be greatly burnished by making that earlier trip and subtly conveying your difficulties and misunderstandings to the interviewer.

These are good points - now I'm leaning towards going. The ref letter thing is frustrating because I had good ones, from professors I've worked with for the past seven years now. How do you send them at this stage? I tried assigning them on LSAC but it seems like they won't send since my app has already been submitted.

I read that NW really cares about the character of the students it admits, so I have to think that without ref letters or an interview, I'd most likely get the shaft.

I think in situations like this, your best bet is to call LSAC. They honestly seem really responsive to students in unforeseen pinches that their system wasn't designed to help. If they can forward the recommendations, maybe then just shoot NU an email to make sure they put them in your file post haste.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:03 am

dcwumpus wrote:About 7 minutes after Johann sent the tweet saying decisions were going out, I got an email from someone named Yohannes with the subject line "Sad but not surprising."

I almost pooped my pants.

I got this email! A certain political mailing list, right? :mrgreen:

dcwumpus

Postby dcwumpus » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:36 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
dcwumpus wrote:About 7 minutes after Johann sent the tweet saying decisions were going out, I got an email from someone named Yohannes with the subject line "Sad but not surprising."

Yes! And I will no longer be voting for him because of the pain his campaign's email caused me yesterday. :)

snldude

Postby snldude » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:47 am

Thanks for the advice everyone. I found a reasonable price, so I went ahead and booked the flight for my interview this week. I also emailed LSAC about the reference letters, but I'll call if they don't get back to me.

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:08 am

dcwumpus wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

Yes! And I will no longer be voting for him because of the pain his campaign's email caused me yesterday. :)

This e-mail immediately preceded my Penn decision so when read in a row it says: "Wait List Invitation from Penn Law Sad but not surprising"

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:26 pm

Deuce wrote:
dcwumpus wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

This e-mail immediately preceded my Penn decision so when read in a row it says: "Wait List Invitation from Penn Law Sad but not surprising"

You really needed to screenshot that because that's pure win. Except the wait-list invitation part.

dcwumpus

Postby dcwumpus » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:34 pm

Deuce wrote:This e-mail immediately preceded my Penn decision so when read in a row it says: "Wait List Invitation from Penn Law Sad but not surprising"

Amazing. Sorry about the waitlist - but amazing.

LttleBlakDress

Postby LttleBlakDress » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:54 pm

boushi wrote:
snldude wrote:
boushi wrote:
snldude wrote:I'm looking for some advice regarding whether I should bother with my Northwestern interview. The thing is, I'm in DC right now and it's LA on Tuesday. Originally, I thought I'd be there by now, but plans have changed. I asked them about moving it to the east coast, but they said it's too late for that.

I ask whether I should bother, because I would seem to be on the edge anyway. I have a 170LSAT, 3.5 gpa, and a PHD. But I submitted late, on December 6th and didn't send any reference letters because I couldn't get that evaluation they wanted in time, and read the directions to mean that I couldn't get that, to send nothing.

So I would seem to already have two strikes against me. I also wouldn't accept the offer if there weren't some financial aid, as I've already gotten into UVA and couldn't take on the extra expense of living in Chicago. Northwestern's older student body does appeal to me though, as I would be in my 30s by the time I start.

So it would be rather inconvenient for me to get to LA earlier that I have scheduled, but I could do it. But if my chances are really low, then I won't bother.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

Honestly, first you should submit your normal recommendations. I think there was some confusion over the new recommendation system, but the dean clarified via his blog that the CPE were not necessary, though the application itself seems to imply they are. I submitted with normal recommendations and was accepted earlier today.

Not sure about whether you'd get in or get money, but I think you should probably still do the interview and at least talk your interviewee. At this point, if you have a chance, it'll probably only be greatly burnished by making that earlier trip and subtly conveying your difficulties and misunderstandings to the interviewer.

These are good points - now I'm leaning towards going. The ref letter thing is frustrating because I had good ones, from professors I've worked with for the past seven years now. How do you send them at this stage? I tried assigning them on LSAC but it seems like they won't send since my app has already been submitted.

I read that NW really cares about the character of the students it admits, so I have to think that without ref letters or an interview, I'd most likely get the shaft.

I think in situations like this, your best bet is to call LSAC. They honestly seem really responsive to students in unforeseen pinches that their system wasn't designed to help. If they can forward the recommendations, maybe then just shoot NU an email to make sure they put them in your file post haste.

Could you let me know what happens with those recs? I'm in the same boat and apparently LSAC is closed today...

whathojeeves

Postby whathojeeves » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:24 pm

LttleBlakDress wrote:
Could you let me know what happens with those recs? I'm in the same boat and apparently LSAC is closed today...

Same.

FutureInLaw

Postby FutureInLaw » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:45 pm

Some decisions this week, per Twitter. I hope the exclamation point means there will be some acceptances.

Get ready!

krad

Postby krad » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:48 pm

FutureInLaw wrote:Some decisions this week, per Twitter. I hope the exclamation point means there will be some acceptances.

Get ready!

Meee tooooo.
http://twitter.com/nulawadmissions is a source of anxiety :D

E: url fail

ht2988

Postby ht2988 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:23 pm

LttleBlakDress wrote:

I had a similar situation, at least in terms of sending in recommendations after my initial CAS file had been sent from LSAC to NU. One of my recommenders submitted her LOR to LSAC after my file had been sent, but NU will not accept any new LOR's from LSAC after sending the initial file. You have to have your recommender either mail or email it directly to the admissions office at NU.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:28 pm

I'm hoping my ding won't come until later this month :X

mistermister

Postby mistermister » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:31 pm

date updated today.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:42 pm

mistermister wrote:date updated today.

Your "complete" date did? Which date? Am I missing a date?

I have:

"Your application was received on 11/3/2010 and is complete as of 12/1/2010."

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:43 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:

I have:

Yea mine updated from complete 12/6 to complete 12/28

awilson11

Postby awilson11 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:43 pm

My complete date updated from 11/30/10 to 1/11/11 in the last hour.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:45 pm

ooooooh man. That's some serious business. :O

mistermister

Postby mistermister » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:45 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:

I have:

yeup, complete date. my first update for NU.

Madison425

Postby Madison425 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:47 pm

Last edited by Madison425 on Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:48 pm

I guess I'm just a bit behind then... probably won't get any action on Friday. damn!

awilson11

Postby awilson11 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:50 pm

From the NU Twitter update today and last week's wave, I'm guessing we should be expecting some late week decisions?

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:53 pm

Madison425 wrote:Does NU not say "In Review"? And do the complete dates just change? Sorry if I missed this earlier.

I only had 1 complete date as the date after I submitted.

marlow

Postby marlow » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:43 pm

Hey guys! Was accepted last week after submitting first week of December. Coming fresh out of undergrad, no full time WE... wanted to give some hope to the rest of you out there! Good luck to everyone! :)

krad

Postby krad » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:18 am

marlow wrote:Hey guys! Was accepted last week after submitting first week of December. Coming fresh out of undergrad, no full time WE... wanted to give some hope to the rest of you out there! Good luck to everyone! :)

Wow, congrats!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”