Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
MillerTime

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby MillerTime » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:21 pm

NU Law Twitter just now: "We have a small batch of JD decisions going out today for those on our waitlist."

Why are they jumping to the waitlist when there are still a bunch of people on hold? I'm confused...

sargell83

Postby sargell83 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:03 pm

evandm wrote:NU Law Twitter just now: "We have a small batch of JD decisions going out today for those on our waitlist."

Why are they jumping to the waitlist when there are still a bunch of people on hold? I'm confused...

agree that's weird. maybe they meant apps on hold? or im jst too optimistic...

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:38 pm

evandm wrote:NU Law Twitter just now: "We have a small batch of JD decisions going out today for those on our waitlist."

I wouldn't read too much into it. They can do whatever they damn well please and maybe they needed the numbers of some WL people or maybe they are shaving down their waitlist with rejections or maybe they mean hold. It's kind of absurd to hang on their every word.

MillerTime

Postby MillerTime » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:44 pm

bk1 wrote:

I wouldn't read too much into it. They can do whatever they damn well please and maybe they needed the numbers of some WL people or maybe they are shaving down their waitlist with rejections or maybe they mean hold. It's kind of absurd to hang on their every word.

Wasn't so much hanging on their every word. Merely expressing frustration. Just want to know already.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:45 pm

evandm wrote:Wasn't so much hanging on their every word. Merely expressing frustration. Just want to know already.

You aren't already operating under the assumption that hold = waitlist = less than 10% chance of getting in = soft rejection?

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:48 pm

bk1 wrote:
evandm wrote:Wasn't so much hanging on their every word. Merely expressing frustration. Just want to know already.

You aren't already operating under the assumption that hold = waitlist = less than 10% chance of getting in = soft rejection?

BK, I think you deserve this as your 'tar:

Granted, your unabashed pessimism is usually warranted.

MillerTime

Postby MillerTime » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:49 pm

bk1 wrote:

I know the chances are low. I'm not holding my breath. But until I get a decision from them, my cycle isn't over. And who knows, maybe I'll luck out and get in. I can dream.. hah

Aine

Postby Aine » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:18 am

evandm wrote:
bk1 wrote:

I know the chances are low. I'm not holding my breath. But until I get a decision from them, my cycle isn't over. And who knows, maybe I'll luck out and get in. I can dream.. hah

I say stay positive. I have a good friend there who got off the waitlist in mid-July. It happens. And hopefully it will happen to you.

math101

Postby math101 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:22 am

Aine wrote:
evandm wrote:
bk1 wrote:

I say stay positive. I have a good friend there who got off the waitlist in mid-July. It happens. And hopefully it will happen to you.

The guy that led my campus tour when I went to check out NU got offered a spot off the WL in July as well. He was a Chicago native and only applied to NU though, so there was no uprooting from a different location. For me, I need to know months ahead of time where I'll be. I have a hard time changing plans at the last minute.

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:24 am

Aine wrote:
evandm wrote:
bk1 wrote:

And considering I got an offer from hold before the first deposit date means that the standard held->waitlisted->forgotten formula isn't going to be as applicable.

As it stands, I think im going to withdraw by the end of the week. As I explained to my friends, northwestern is an amazing school and I would a real tool to expect a better education, especially in my favorite city, and I would so desperately love to start looking for a 2 bdr in streeterville and get out of my tiny hometown (again...) but all of it together, although a strong force, is not worth $220k in debt. That's two houses and a car where I am from.

I would be more than happy to defer, but they require a seat deposit before they'll even consider the request. Since I don't know how strict their deferral policy is and I really can't afford to lose $750 when the entire point of this year is to save money for law school, im just going to throw my hat back in the ring next year. Hope I see a lot of you in 2012!

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:26 pm

Flips88 wrote:BK, I think you deserve this as your 'tar:
[buzzkillingtonpic]

Granted, your unabashed pessimism is usually warranted.

:lol:

fingersxd

Postby fingersxd » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:40 pm

You aren't already operating under the assumption that hold = waitlist = less than 10% chance of getting in = soft rejection?[/quote]

I know the chances are low. I'm not holding my breath. But until I get a decision from them, my cycle isn't over. And who knows, maybe I'll luck out and get in. I can dream.. hah[/quote]

I say stay positive. I have a good friend there who got off the waitlist in mid-July. It happens. And hopefully it will happen to you.[/quote]

And considering I got an offer from hold before the first deposit date means that the standard held->waitlisted->forgotten formula isn't going to be as applicable.

As it stands, I think im going to withdraw by the end of the week. As I explained to my friends, northwestern is an amazing school and I would a real tool to expect a better education, especially in my favorite city, and I would so desperately love to start looking for a 2 bdr in streeterville and get out of my tiny hometown (again...) but all of it together, although a strong force, is not worth $220k in debt. That's two houses and a car where I am from.

I would be more than happy to defer, but they require a seat deposit before they'll even consider the request. Since I don't know how strict their deferral policy is and I really can't afford to lose $750 when the entire point of this year is to save money for law school, im just going to throw my hat back in the ring next year. Hope I see a lot of you in 2012![/quote]

Good luck in 2012! My odds just went up by 0.001% to get in.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:42 pm

descartesb4thehorse wrote:And considering I got an offer from hold before the first deposit date means that the standard held->waitlisted->forgotten formula isn't going to be as applicable.

You are the exception, not the rule.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:14 pm

Accepted via email about an hour and a half ago. Interviewed on campus and wrote two supplemental essays.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:16 pm

Flips88 wrote:Accepted via email about an hour and a half ago. Interviewed on campus and wrote two supplemental essays.

You give my negative nancy ass a glimmer of hope.

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:16 pm

Flips88 wrote:Accepted via email about an hour and a half ago. Interviewed on campus and wrote two supplemental essays.

Congrats! Having been in a bunch of threads with you, Ive been rooting for you.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:16 pm

Awesome! You coming?

fingersxd

Postby fingersxd » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:38 pm

Congrats! You think you're going to go?

I really wanted to do an interview on campus, but I couldn't get away from work. Wouldn't be surprised if it was the difference b/t a ding and an acceptance for me. What a bummer.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:51 pm

I'm unsure still. I need to digest this and get in the FinAid form. NW @ sticker is realllllly expensive.

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:01 pm

Flips88 wrote:I'm unsure still. I need to digest this and get in the FinAid form. NW @ sticker is realllllly expensive.

Just a warning but they've been telling other hold admits that the moneys gone and not to even bother with the scholarship and grant application

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:04 pm

splitmuch wrote:
Flips88 wrote:I'm unsure still. I need to digest this and get in the FinAid form. NW @ sticker is realllllly expensive.

Just a warning but they've been telling other hold admits that the moneys gone and not to even bother with the scholarship and grant application

Oh great haha. I'll call in the morning and see if they are still going with that.

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:06 pm

Flips88 wrote:
splitmuch wrote:

Oh great haha. I'll call in the morning and see if they are still going with that.

If they tell you different...er....let me know

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:06 pm

splitmuch wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
splitmuch wrote:

If they tell you different...er....let me know

Will do. Are you planning on attending at sticker?

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:09 pm

Flips88 wrote:Will do. Are you planning on attending at sticker?

I am. I have high ambitions (read:delusions of grandeur), I love Chicago, and the LRAP is pretty good. I may regret it, but I kinda have the swing for the fences personality.

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:17 pm

splitmuch wrote:

This is credited. They told me no less than 4 times via email that they won't be giving me a nickel.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”