Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
whathojeeves

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby whathojeeves » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:31 pm

sgtgrumbles wrote:
DHB wrote:I really like Northwestern but withdrew my application. Hopefully they can give my scholarship to someone else.

Same here. Good luck y'all.

+1. Have fun in Chicago everyone!

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:44 pm

I received a scholarship offer through email today, looks like they are starting round two.

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:03 pm

hipstermafia wrote:I received a scholarship offer through email today, looks like they are starting round two.

Lucky.

SemperLegal

Postby SemperLegal » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:47 pm

hipstermafia wrote:I received a scholarship offer through email today, looks like they are starting round two.

+1

neonx

Postby neonx » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:52 pm

Didn't get anything. =(

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:17 pm

withdrew over the weekend. It was very hard to do. Hope someone here gets my $$$

fingersxd

Postby fingersxd » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:34 pm

Still on hold. Is it reasonable to expect some sort of decision by end of April? It won't come soon enough!

gov

Postby gov » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:35 pm

fingersxd wrote:Still on hold. Is it reasonable to expect some sort of decision by end of April? It won't come soon enough!

They are reviewing the hold files now. I would expect the most movement to happen after the deposit deadline.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:44 pm

gov wrote:
fingersxd wrote:Still on hold. Is it reasonable to expect some sort of decision by end of April? It won't come soon enough!

They are reviewing the hold files now. I would expect the most movement to happen after the deposit deadline.

This is what I think too. There was some earlier movement on the hold list due to earlier deposit deadlines at other schools causing people to withdraw, but the biggest movement will probably be at the end of April/early May due to the passing of NU's deposit deadline.

jtemp320

Postby jtemp320 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:48 pm

whathojeeves wrote:
sgtgrumbles wrote:
DHB wrote:I really like Northwestern but withdrew my application. Hopefully they can give my scholarship to someone else.

Same here. Good luck y'all.

+1. Have fun in Chicago everyone!

+1 loved their ASW but am headed elsewhere - good luck everyone!

antonin

Postby antonin » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:08 pm

Are we still supposed to complete the grant and scholarship application? I am talking about held people that received acceptances this month, and received the e-mail telling them that there are no longer grants available.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:33 pm

antonin wrote:Are we still supposed to complete the grant and scholarship application? I am talking about held people that received acceptances this month, and received the e-mail telling them that there are no longer grants available.

You still have to complete it to be eligible for loans.

antonin

Postby antonin » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:47 pm

Are you sure about that. Their e-mail says specifically that the required part of the application are Need Access and FAFSA. It does not talk about anything else.
These things I completed back in February

When I go on ASW, I notice the extra part. On one hand I want to do it because I really need to find a way to make this more affordable. On the other hand, I did not want to seem annoying and as if I did not read their message.
No information that I received from them however made me thought that I need to complete for loan eligibility.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:55 pm

antonin wrote:Are you sure about that. Their e-mail says specifically that the required part of the application are Need Access and FAFSA. It does not talk about anything else.

When I go on ASW, I notice the extra part. On one hand I want to do it because I really need to find a way to make this more affordable. On the other hand, I did not want to seem annoying and as if I did not read their message.
No information that I received from them however made me thought that I need to complete for loan eligibility.

Maybe the email that goes to held students is different than whats on the admitted student site. But it says clearly that there are 3 parts to a complete application 1) Needaccess 2) Fasfa 3) Supplemental application (i.e. the essays). So I read that as taking all 3 parts, and if it were me I'd do all 3 because why risk it? Just my take though.

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:55 pm

neonx wrote:Didn't get anything. =(

Stanford is TCR :)

antonin

Postby antonin » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:04 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
antonin wrote:Are you sure about that. Their e-mail says specifically that the required part of the application are Need Access and FAFSA. It does not talk about anything else.

Maybe the email that goes to held students is different than whats on the admitted student site. But it says clearly that there are 3 parts to a complete application 1) Needaccess 2) Fasfa 3) Supplemental application (i.e. the essays). So I read that as taking all 3 parts, and if it were me I'd do all 3 because why risk it? Just my take though.

Well, thanks!

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:16 pm

antonin wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:

Well, thanks!

EDIT: They seem nice enough so I shot them a clarification email anyway. EDIT 2. They promptly responded that we indeed do not need to do the supplemental app and that loan info will come out this week.

The hold email was different. It essentially said that even if additional grant funds become available there are so many people ahead of us in line that we won't get anything so don't bother with he scholarship essays:

The Relevant portion:
At this point of the year, we have already awarded all of our scholarships and grants. At Northwestern Law, all awards were determined by examining both merit and need-based factors so we do not have separate pools of funding for need-only or merit-only awards. It is extremely unlikely that additional funds will become available; consequently, your financial aid application will be used for loan eligibility determinations only.

If you have not already submitted it, here are the required parts for your financial aid application:
1. Your 2011-12 Need Access application (http://www.needaccess.org),and

2. Your 2011-12 FAFSA (http://fafsa.ed.gov school code 001739).

Additional information may be required as needed. Some individuals may need to submit copies of their 2010 federal tax returns and W-2s, but the Financial Aid Office will contact those individuals by email should those materials be required for determining loan eligibility.

sargell83

Postby sargell83 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:46 am

any idea when the hold applicants should hear about their decisions?

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:34 am

sargell83 wrote:any idea when the hold applicants should hear about their decisions?

Some hold admits have heard but I'd imagine more decisions will go out after the deposit deadline 4/29

fingersxd

Postby fingersxd » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:19 pm

I'm prefacing this post my admitting this is a dumb question....BUT, that being said, would it look completely terrible if I tried to submit supplemental materials now (I'm on Hold and their e-mail made it clear that the 15th was the deadline).

Due to travel, work, etc. I just didn't have time to do all the essays (did a LOCI and 1 essay) and would really love to send them more stuff -- just concerned it would backfire. Thoughts?

Also, how about sending more CPEs? I recently found out that one of my managers didn't submit theirs in time and I wasn't sure if I should tell them to submit anyway or just to forget it (again, I don't want a late submission to reflect negatively on my application).

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:11 pm

fingersxd wrote:I'm prefacing this post my admitting this is a dumb question....BUT, that being said, would it look completely terrible if I tried to submit supplemental materials now (I'm on Hold and their e-mail made it clear that the 15th was the deadline).

Due to travel, work, etc. I just didn't have time to do all the essays (did a LOCI and 1 essay) and would really love to send them more stuff -- just concerned it would backfire. Thoughts?

Also, how about sending more CPEs? I recently found out that one of my managers didn't submit theirs in time and I wasn't sure if I should tell them to submit anyway or just to forget it (again, I don't want a late submission to reflect negatively on my application).

I doubt they'd accept them now. Presumably you've been on hold for a while and knew what you needed to get done.

Jeffro

Postby Jeffro » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:17 pm

fingersxd wrote:I'm prefacing this post my admitting this is a dumb question....BUT, that being said, would it look completely terrible if I tried to submit supplemental materials now (I'm on Hold and their e-mail made it clear that the 15th was the deadline).

I'm on hold and got that same email. I interpreted it to very strongly mean that April 15th was it and no more is wanted nor would it be appreciated. Depending on how long you have been on hold, IMO it would reflect negatively to finally get more stuff in after their clear deadline and perhaps weeks/months of hold notification.

Horsefeathers

Postby Horsefeathers » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:32 pm

Hey Guys - this is probably an obvious question, but I just wanted to confirm:

Once I receive the "2011-12 Northwestern Law Financial Aid Loan Package" email, which indicates that I've been approved for 77k
of loans, it means I'm not getting any scholis/free money, right? (Even though I never got an email explicitly stating this).

I've pretty much accepted my fate as a no-aid applicant, but I just wanted to make sure that there isn't still any promise of something lurking on the scholarship horizon. Has anybody received anything after paying the deposit? What about asking to remain under consideration - make a difference?

Slowly swallowing the bitter pill of 220k in debt...Any insight is greatly appreciated.

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:07 pm

Horsefeathers wrote:Hey Guys - this is probably an obvious question, but I just wanted to confirm:

Once I receive the "2011-12 Northwestern Law Financial Aid Loan Package" email, which indicates that I've been approved for 77k
of loans, it means I'm not getting any scholis/free money, right? (Even though I never got an email explicitly stating this).

I've pretty much accepted my fate as a no-aid applicant, but I just wanted to make sure that there isn't still any promise of something lurking on the scholarship horizon. Has anybody received anything after paying the deposit? What about asking to remain under consideration - make a difference?

Slowly swallowing the bitter pill of 220k in debt...Any insight is greatly appreciated.

I think the held applicants who got acceptances in the past 2 weeks are the only ones explicitly stating there will be no money for us. If you applied for a scholly, there may be some opening up from people who decide not to enroll, but don't quote me on that.

Horsefeathers

Postby Horsefeathers » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:19 pm

descartesb4thehorse wrote:
Horsefeathers wrote:Hey Guys - this is probably an obvious question, but I just wanted to confirm:

I think the held applicants who got acceptances in the past 2 weeks are the only ones explicitly stating there will be no money for us. If you applied for a scholly, there may be some opening up from people who decide not to enroll, but don't quote me on that.

Thanks for the info. But there's no reason to send a specific email to the effect of "...Don't forget about me and my need...." right?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”