Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
ChriLa425
Posts: 271
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:34 pm

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby ChriLa425 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:40 pm

no money. not one cent. *sigh*

FMLtwoK11
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:27 pm

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby FMLtwoK11 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:29 pm

ChriLa425 wrote:no money. not one cent. *sigh*


Damn, seriously?! With your numbers? Are you like, independently wealthy or something? Because need plays a part . . .

ArghItsBlarg
Posts: 204
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:21 pm

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby ArghItsBlarg » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:58 pm

One thing I learned while discovering that I wasn't getting any need scholarship was that, despite my EFC of about $5k, because NU doesn't take parental income into account, the vast majority of its applicants qualify as super-needy thanks to low/no income and accrued loans.

User avatar
descartesb4thehorse
Posts: 1147
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:03 am

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:05 pm

ArghItsBlarg wrote:One thing I learned while discovering that I wasn't getting any need scholarship was that, despite my EFC of about $5k, because NU doesn't take parental income into account, the vast majority of its applicants qualify as super-needy thanks to low/no income and accrued loans.


You do have a better shot with this than other schools that don't consider parent's financial data since NU has so many non-traditionals and 97% have been out of school for at least a year, another 88% out for 2 years. If you've been working for 5-10 of course you still have a better income than someone just working for 2 years, but at a place like Michigan where a lot more come straight from UG you'd be fighting a much steeper uphill battle.

antonin
Posts: 130
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:44 pm

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby antonin » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:18 pm

This is primarily a question to held people. On my decision letter, it said that Held people have to respond to a form by April 1. Obviously I responded with that form two days after receiving the decision so I am all set in that aspect.

The question is do they also expect our additional essays, LOCIs, and CPEs by April 1, or is it better to send them closer to the time that they will be reviewing our applications.

Also, did not NU have some new optional essays for held people. I swear I saw that somewhere but looking back at my letter and all the e-mails I do not see any new optional essays. Did I see something or am I going crazy.

I am slightly sad about NU... splitter numbers with a lot of work during college and 2 years of WE, but I think I messed my interview. I was slightly nervous.

User avatar
gov
Posts: 302
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:27 pm

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby gov » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:21 pm

antonin wrote:This is primarily a question to held people. On my decision letter, it said that Held people have to respond to a form by April 1. Obviously I responded with that form two days after receiving the decision so I am all set in that aspect.

The question is do they also expect our additional essays, LOCIs, and CPEs by April 1, or is it better to send them closer to the time that they will be reviewing our applications.

Also, did not NU have some new optional essays for held people. I swear I saw that somewhere but looking back at my letter and all the e-mails I do not see any new optional essays. Did I see something or am I going crazy.

I am slightly sad about NU... splitter numbers with a lot of work during college and 2 years of WE, but I think I messed my interview. I was slightly nervous.


Click on the link to the FAQ in the letter. On there you will find the prompts. I was held in Jan and immediately sent in the LOCI and form...then made sure my essays were good before I sent them in. I would have them in no later than 4/1, though.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18401
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby bk1 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:23 pm

antonin wrote:This is primarily a question to held people. On my decision letter, it said that Held people have to respond to a form by April 1. Obviously I responded with that form two days after receiving the decision so I am all set in that aspect.

The question is do they also expect our additional essays, LOCIs, and CPEs by April 1, or is it better to send them closer to the time that they will be reviewing our applications.

Also, did not NU have some new optional essays for held people. I swear I saw that somewhere but looking back at my letter and all the e-mails I do not see any new optional essays. Did I see something or am I going crazy.

I am slightly sad about NU... splitter numbers with a lot of work during college and 2 years of WE, but I think I messed my interview. I was slightly nervous.



You can send in your stuff by whenever, the earlier the better, but that date is just for the response to staying on the hold list. Considering they are getting closer and closer to making hold decisions I would get those essays/LOCIs/CPEs in ASAP.

antonin
Posts: 130
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:44 pm

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby antonin » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:30 pm

govorett wrote:
antonin wrote:This is primarily a question to held people. On my decision letter, it said that Held people have to respond to a form by April 1. Obviously I responded with that form two days after receiving the decision so I am all set in that aspect.

The question is do they also expect our additional essays, LOCIs, and CPEs by April 1, or is it better to send them closer to the time that they will be reviewing our applications.

Also, did not NU have some new optional essays for held people. I swear I saw that somewhere but looking back at my letter and all the e-mails I do not see any new optional essays. Did I see something or am I going crazy.

I am slightly sad about NU... splitter numbers with a lot of work during college and 2 years of WE, but I think I messed my interview. I was slightly nervous.


Click on the link to the FAQ in the letter. On there you will find the prompts. I was held in Jan and immediately sent in the LOCI and form...then made sure my essays were good before I sent them in. I would have them in no later than 4/1, though.



Thank you! Yeah I remember now those essays. They look pretty awful... Did you sent an attached LOCI. I sent a LOCI with my form, on the body of the essay, about 1/2 page long.

neonx
Posts: 1025
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:36 pm

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby neonx » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:36 pm

I had faxed Northwestern a 50 page packet of other offers. I hope I get an offer from them. I'd love to be in Chicago, IL, but I'm bizroke like heck.

User avatar
descartesb4thehorse
Posts: 1147
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:03 am

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:39 pm

neonx wrote:I had faxed Northwestern a 50 page packet of other offers. I hope I get an offer from them. I'd love to be in Chicago, IL, but I'm bizroke like heck.


Every day on here I find another reason to be thankful that I don't work admin for any of the law school adcomms. But if this was for scholly negotiations, I totally get it and think that it will probably be a pretty successful tactic.

User avatar
homestyle28
Posts: 2312
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby homestyle28 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:41 pm

descartesb4thehorse wrote:
neonx wrote:I had faxed Northwestern a 50 page packet of other offers. I hope I get an offer from them. I'd love to be in Chicago, IL, but I'm bizroke like heck.


Every day on here I find another reason to be thankful that I don't work admin for any of the law school adcomms. But if this was for scholly negotiations, I totally get it and think that it will probably be a pretty successful tactic.


You good sir, have both an epic moniker and tar and are to be congratulated for it :)

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby Arbiter213 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:42 pm

I was dinged on Thursday. Have fun guys!

User avatar
gov
Posts: 302
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:27 pm

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby gov » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:46 pm

neonx wrote:I had faxed Northwestern a 50 page packet of other offers. I hope I get an offer from them. I'd love to be in Chicago, IL, but I'm bizroke like heck.


Congrats on all of your success!

neonx
Posts: 1025
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:36 pm

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby neonx » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:58 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:I was dinged on Thursday. Have fun guys!


My friend! =( I hope you get off those WLs.

User avatar
whathojeeves
Posts: 489
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:39 pm

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby whathojeeves » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:19 pm

"If you are worried about being "that guy," you are probably not."

Ahhh Johann. Def #winning.

User avatar
ArchRoark
Posts: 1000
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:53 pm

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby ArchRoark » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:10 pm

Ok, I won't be able to make it to ASD this week, but I will be visiting NU on 04/09/11 (going to visit 3 schools in 3 days). Other then strolling around campus and checking out the LS buildings, are there any must sees/visit/places to eat? 8)

User avatar
src42
Posts: 287
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:26 am

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby src42 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:15 pm

whathojeeves wrote:"If you are worried about being "that guy," you are probably not."

Ahhh Johann. Def #winning.
I think this proves he reads this forum.

User avatar
homestyle28
Posts: 2312
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby homestyle28 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:28 pm

src42 wrote:
whathojeeves wrote:"If you are worried about being "that guy," you are probably not."

Ahhh Johann. Def #winning.
I think this proves he reads this forum.


edit: turns out I'm an idiot suffering serious RC fail!
Last edited by homestyle28 on Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Flips88
Posts: 13509
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby Flips88 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:30 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
src42 wrote:
whathojeeves wrote:"If you are worried about being "that guy," you are probably not."

Ahhh Johann. Def #winning.
I think this proves he reads this forum.


I think you'd better hope SHE doesn't ;)

Making fun of the dean's name on the forum he probably reads. bold strategy, cotton. Let's see how this plays out.

Bumi
Posts: 947
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:57 pm

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby Bumi » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:55 pm

ArchRoark wrote:Ok, I won't be able to make it to ASD this week, but I will be visiting NU on 04/09/11 (going to visit 3 schools in 3 days). Other then strolling around campus and checking out the LS buildings, are there any must sees/visit/places to eat? 8)


You're in luck! ASW is the 8th and 9th, and I'm sure they'd let you tag along with us on Saturday if you want.

User avatar
ArchRoark
Posts: 1000
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:53 pm

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby ArchRoark » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:00 pm

Bumi wrote:
ArchRoark wrote:Ok, I won't be able to make it to ASD this week, but I will be visiting NU on 04/09/11 (going to visit 3 schools in 3 days). Other then strolling around campus and checking out the LS buildings, are there any must sees/visit/places to eat? 8)


You're in luck! ASW is the 8th and 9th, and I'm sure they'd let you tag along with us on Saturday if you want.



Ohh snap, for some reason I thought it was the 1st. Hope to see some of you guys there!

ArghItsBlarg
Posts: 204
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:21 pm

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby ArghItsBlarg » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:44 pm

I should be coming to ASW, although I don't believe I'll be staying for any evening festivities.

User avatar
hipstermafia
Posts: 1053
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:45 pm

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby hipstermafia » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:56 pm

ChriLa425 wrote:no money. not one cent. *sigh*

+1

...and this pretty much means NU is out for me :(

User avatar
homestyle28
Posts: 2312
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby homestyle28 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:12 am

ArghItsBlarg wrote:I should be coming to ASW, although I don't believe I'll be staying for any evening festivities.


I'm in this boat, have family in Chicago so my evenings will be spent with them...clearly this means there must be lunchtime beers :)

ArghItsBlarg
Posts: 204
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:21 pm

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby ArghItsBlarg » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:12 am

Hear hear!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”