Northwestern 2011 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
whitman

Silver

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Post by whitman » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:35 am

Really? Who said that?

SMA22

Bronze

Post by SMA22 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:37 am

whitman wrote:Really? Who said that?
I think Forward called (in the Class of 14 thread); it wouldn't surprise me if they wait for the first batch to respond before doing a second round of disbursements. I think (but don't quote me) they did something similar last year...

When it comes to dead presidents, I don't mind someone's sloppy seconds. Sticker is going to hurt, big time.

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:45 am

According to last year's thread, they sent an email to everyone when they were done.

homestyle28

Gold

Re: When's the Aid Over?

Post by homestyle28 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:47 am

Horsefeathers wrote:Does anyone know when the last of the aid awards are typically granted? I understand that NU might technically have until the deposit deadline, but in reality...?
Over in the NU Class of '14 thread, someone said they were told by the admissions office that all awards have gone out, and they are currently out of funds. Presumably not all offers will be accepted so they'll have some $$ free up as time goes on, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

VulcanVulcanVulcan

Bronze

Post by VulcanVulcanVulcan » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:50 am

I would imagine that NU uses models to predict the number of students accepting awards and already over-allocates funds, so I doubt there'll be much in terms of cashmoney left.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BrightLine

Bronze

Post by BrightLine » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:50 am

Did anyone get the scholarship with the acceptance? Or was it always separate?

neonx

Silver

Post by neonx » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:43 am

BrightLine wrote:Did anyone get the scholarship with the acceptance? Or was it always separate?
We gotsta apply w/ them essays

sgtgrumbles

Silver

Post by sgtgrumbles » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:08 pm

I just received the full financial aid package. The estimated tuition for 2011-12 is $51,670 and the estimated COA is $77,399. Wow.

src42

Bronze

Post by src42 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:16 pm

sgtgrumbles wrote:I just received the full financial aid package. The estimated tuition for 2011-12 is $51,670 and the estimated COA is $77,399. Wow.
Yep, it's crazy. Even with $10K more per year in scholarship than I got from Michigan, my COA at each school is about the same.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

juliachild-ish

Bronze

Post by juliachild-ish » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:24 pm

sgtgrumbles wrote:I just received the full financial aid package. The estimated tuition for 2011-12 is $51,670 and the estimated COA is $77,399. Wow.
Yeah, and I have to say, honestly, $14,000 for room and board might be way too low, especially if you want to leave near campus. Almost all of the popular apartment buildings that are nearby in Streeterville are $1,300 and up for a one bedroom, so that's $15,600 for the rent alone, not to mention food, utilities, etc. You can find much better bargains away from the school, but then you're looking at significant commute times, especially if you don't live along the red line or brown line.

I say this as someone whose boyfriend is in med school at Northwestern, and we've already moved twice, so I'm fairly familiar with the housing options for NU law/med students.

VulcanVulcanVulcan

Bronze

Post by VulcanVulcanVulcan » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:44 pm

juliachild-ish wrote:
Yeah, and I have to say, honestly, $14,000 for room and board might be way too low, especially if you want to leave near campus. Almost all of the popular apartment buildings that are nearby in Streeterville are $1,300 and up for a one bedroom, so that's $15,600 for the rent alone, not to mention food, utilities, etc. You can find much better bargains away from the school, but then you're looking at significant commute times, especially if you don't live along the red line or brown line.

I say this as someone whose boyfriend is in med school at Northwestern, and we've already moved twice, so I'm fairly familiar with the housing options for NU law/med students.
I've been looking at housing options in Streeterville and I think NU gets around the high cost by projecting "room and board" costs over nine months instead of 12. All of the buildings in their own admitted students packet are nearby and $1200+, so they have to make it work somehow.

src42

Bronze

Post by src42 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:49 pm

juliachild-ish wrote: Yeah, and I have to say, honestly, $14,000 for room and board might be way too low, especially if you want to leave near campus. Almost all of the popular apartment buildings that are nearby in Streeterville are $1,300 and up for a one bedroom, so that's $15,600 for the rent alone, not to mention food, utilities, etc. You can find much better bargains away from the school, but then you're looking at significant commute times, especially if you don't live along the red line or brown line.

Yeah, there's no way I'm living in Streeterville if I go to NU. I hope to find something less than $1000/month in Lakeview or Wrigleyville. It'd be nice to be able to walk to school but I don't think the commute is unmanageable by any means.

tguk53

New

Post by tguk53 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:08 pm

Ding just now via status checker email. So far, two dings today. If UChicago can step up their admissions game, I can get three in one day!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

juliachild-ish

Bronze

Post by juliachild-ish » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:10 pm

src42 wrote:
juliachild-ish wrote: Yeah, and I have to say, honestly, $14,000 for room and board might be way too low, especially if you want to leave near campus. Almost all of the popular apartment buildings that are nearby in Streeterville are $1,300 and up for a one bedroom, so that's $15,600 for the rent alone, not to mention food, utilities, etc. You can find much better bargains away from the school, but then you're looking at significant commute times, especially if you don't live along the red line or brown line.

Yeah, there's no way I'm living in Streeterville if I go to NU. I hope to find something less than $1000/month in Lakeview or Wrigleyville. It'd be nice to be able to walk to school but I don't think the commute is unmanageable by any means.
Yeah, we currently live in semi-Lakeview/Roscoe Village, and you get much more for the money. I do think that my boyfriend misses out on a lot of social activities with other med school students, living so far away (it's about a 45 minute commute all put together...doesn't help that it's a pretty long walk from the red line to campus) when most of them live right next to the campus. Maybe that's less true of the law school, since there are so many older students.

SMA22

Bronze

Post by SMA22 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:14 pm

juliachild-ish wrote:
src42 wrote:

Yeah, we currently live in semi-Lakeview/Roscoe Village, and you get much more for the money. I do think that my boyfriend misses out on a lot of social activities with other med school students, living so far away (it's about a 45 minute commute all put together...doesn't help that it's a pretty long walk from the red line to campus) when most of them live right next to the campus. Maybe that's less true of the law school, since there are so many older students.

Small world, I also live in Roscoe Village. I started looking at places in Streeterville, but seriously, for some of the going prices, you've got to be kidding me. I'm going to think it through before I throw down that kind of cash. Yeah, some buildings are really nice, but at the end of the day, an apartment is an apartment.

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:16 pm

juliachild-ish wrote:
src42 wrote:

While I get the appeal of living close the prices seem crazy to me. I plan on buying/renting several miles outside the loop and just dealing with an hour commute each way.

Bumi

Silver

Post by Bumi » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:16 pm

juliachild-ish wrote:Almost all of the popular apartment buildings that are nearby in Streeterville are $1,300 and up for a one bedroom
I do not live in Chicago (yet), but I was looking at this recently. I think you can go lower than that if you're willing to go down to a studio sized place, and if you're not picky about quality. The luxury stuff is ridiculously priced, though. I'll definitely be looking some places next time I visit, if only to get a sense for what is out there.

My current strategy is to suck up the expense (and cramped quarters) and live as close to campus as possible as a 1L for social and studying reasons, but then to move further north later on.

The "questions and challenges" thread has a bunch of info on housing from current NU law students.

Also, almost all schools whose COA I've looked at do their COA as a 9 month thing, not counting the summer costs.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tipler4213

Silver

Post by tipler4213 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:20 pm

Bumi wrote:
juliachild-ish wrote:Almost all of the popular apartment buildings that are nearby in Streeterville are $1,300 and up for a one bedroom
I do not live in Chicago (yet), but I was looking at this recently. I think you can go lower than that if you're willing to go down to a studio sized place, and if you're not picky about quality. The luxury stuff is ridiculously priced, though. I'll definitely be looking some places next time I visit, if only to get a sense for what is out there.

My current strategy is to suck up the expense (and cramped quarters) and live as close to campus as possible as a 1L for social and studying reasons, but then to move further north later on.

The "questions and challenges" thread has a bunch of info on housing from current NU law students.

Also, almost all schools whose COA I've looked at do their COA as a 9 month thing, not counting the summer costs.
Yeah, I have only seen 9 month COAs--is that not what NUs is?

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:21 pm

Bumi wrote:

I actually think this is fed requirement. At least at any school I've ever heard of/been around there is a separate process for applying for summer aid.

Bumi

Silver

Post by Bumi » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:30 pm

tipler4213 wrote:Yeah, I have only seen 9 month COAs--is that not what NUs is?
It is what NUs is. I was replying to this guy:
VulcanVulcanVulcan wrote:I've been looking at housing options in Streeterville and I think NU gets around the high cost by projecting "room and board" costs over nine months instead of 12.
NU performs a lot of genius tricks most schools don't, like interviewing everyone, or like admitting me, but COA trickery isn't on that list.

BrightLine

Bronze

Post by BrightLine » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:31 pm

neonx wrote:
BrightLine wrote:Did anyone get the scholarship with the acceptance? Or was it always separate?
We gotsta apply w/ them essays

But the one year deferred 150,000 comes automatically with the acceptance?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

coreno16

New

Post by coreno16 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:53 pm

Dinged Today YAYAYAYAYA. Undergrad with no ft w/e. no big surprise.

ChriLa425

Bronze

Post by ChriLa425 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:02 pm

No scholly for me :( will probably have to withdraw.

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:15 pm

Does anyone know if NU negotiates at all?

rockyrac

New

Post by rockyrac » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:28 pm

got a deferred offer for $150,000 earlier this week, it was the first thing id heard from them

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”