Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Flips88

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby Flips88 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:54 pm

Has anyone done the latter two Hold Essay options (the perfect day and Dinner with a Fictional TV character one)? They seem like they'd be hard to write anything noteworthy.

ChriLa425

Postby ChriLa425 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:55 pm

Flips88 wrote:
jtemp320 wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
syezzie wrote:"What's a common misperception about you?" threw me for loop.

That I play basketball. Boom.

Haha yeah me too...I said that I'm a very serious person...but actually I think I have a good sense of humor/like to have fun...

lame in so many ways

Do you belong in our tall person thread?

that's a silly interview question to begin with.
Last edited by ChriLa425 on Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:58 pm

Flips88 wrote:Has anyone done the latter two Hold Essay options (the perfect day and Dinner with a Fictional TV character one)? They seem like they'd be hard to write anything noteworthy.

It all feels so cliche. I'm struggling to write something down for these but I really need to finish them soon.

gov

Postby gov » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:58 pm

Flips88 wrote:Has anyone done the latter two Hold Essay options (the perfect day and Dinner with a Fictional TV character one)? They seem like they'd be hard to write anything noteworthy.

Yup...I did all three. On the hold FAQ it says they are trying to get to know about your personality...but if you can't write something convincing, I would skip them.

pimpsdontcry

Postby pimpsdontcry » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:59 pm

ding :(

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:13 pm

govorett wrote:

Yup...I did all three. On the hold FAQ it says they are trying to get to know about your personality...but if you can't write something convincing, I would skip them.

What'd you write for the perfect day one? PM if you feel like sharing

Cpwilson

Postby Cpwilson » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:53 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
bk1 wrote:
neonx wrote:Are decisions going through e-mail or status checker?

All decisions, at least ime, are an email telling you to check your status checker. The email doesn't have the decision but you can tell if you are accepted by the wording, iirc.

Admit decisions are in the email ("Congratulations!", etc.), with a note to download your actual admissions letter from the deans from the status checker. Dings and WLs are vague emails telling you to check your status checker and download a PDF decision letter.

Admitted kids-is this true? I can't log in to my status checker and only got a generic email not a congrats email. So should I assume I'm either on hold or rejected?

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:57 pm

Cpwilson wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
bk1 wrote:
neonx wrote:Are decisions going through e-mail or status checker?

All decisions, at least ime, are an email telling you to check your status checker. The email doesn't have the decision but you can tell if you are accepted by the wording, iirc.

Admit decisions are in the email ("Congratulations!", etc.), with a note to download your actual admissions letter from the deans from the status checker. Dings and WLs are vague emails telling you to check your status checker and download a PDF decision letter.

Admitted kids-is this true? I can't log in to my status checker and only got a generic email not a congrats email. So should I assume I'm either on hold or rejected?

no it's not true. You get a second email congratulating you. The status checker one is generic.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:33 am

sarahlawg wrote:
Cpwilson wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Admit decisions are in the email ("Congratulations!", etc.), with a note to download your actual admissions letter from the deans from the status checker. Dings and WLs are vague emails telling you to check your status checker and download a PDF decision letter.

no it's not true. You get a second email congratulating you. The status checker one is generic.

I did not get a generic email, just the congrats one.

ChuckSchick

Postby ChuckSchick » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:35 am

I got my "Congrats" email well before the generic one, but I know others who've had the opposite order, so I wouldn't read too much into it.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:41 am

ChuckSchick wrote:I got my "Congrats" email well before the generic one, but I know others who've had the opposite order, so I wouldn't read too much into it.

Oh crap, just ignore what I said before about not getting a generic email. I DID get it (totally forgot!), but like this person, well after the congrats one. Apologies to all. :?

robotclubmember

Postby robotclubmember » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:17 am

In yesterday, submitted app on 1/24, got congrats e-mail first and then the status checker update e-mail (which is still unavailable). Because I applied later in the cycle, I never had the opportunity to interview so I declined the interview, FWIW. Had 2+ years WE though.
Last edited by robotclubmember on Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blacklawboss

Postby blacklawboss » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:02 am

I may be late, but is the status checker down?

jrose5

Postby jrose5 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:09 pm

blacklawboss wrote:I may be late, but is the status checker down?

Yup, it is... been down since yesterday evening (at least for me).

blacklawboss

Postby blacklawboss » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:23 pm

jrose5 wrote:

Ok thanks. I thought they spit my app out

dddhhh

Postby dddhhh » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:26 pm

blacklawboss wrote:
jrose5 wrote:

nulawadmissions: There is a minor bug affecting a small portion of our status check users. We're working on the issue & hope to have everything sorted soon!
about 21 hours ago
Retweeted by tweetsbyjohann

Sicsofs

Postby Sicsofs » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:14 pm

So I had my Northwestern Interview last week (very very very big reach). I knew it would hold my app and i was late in the cycle but i felt like i needed every advantage i could have in this process. I think my interview was pretty epic (almost as epic as my personal statement) and had it been with the dean I would have got in on the spot. That being said, does the interview carry any real weight in the process? I know i have a fan in my interviewer but don't know if his assessment of me has any pull. Can anyone elaborate? Thanks.

jrose5

Postby jrose5 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:23 pm

Sicsofs wrote:So I had my Northwestern Interview last week (very very very big reach). I knew it would hold my app and i was late in the cycle but i felt like i needed every advantage i could have in this process. I think my interview was pretty epic (almost as epic as my personal statement) and had it been with the dean I would have got in on the spot. That being said, does the interview carry any real weight in the process? I know i have a fan in my interviewer but don't know if his assessment of me has any pull. Can anyone elaborate? Thanks.

I really think it matters... I recently got in as an ugrad and I went into the interview thinking "I have no shot, I need WE...." But I thought the interview went well (not as well as "epic"), and I got accepted 2 weeks after that. So I'm assuming the interview sealed the deal for me. Meaning it must be a big component...

shatra

Postby shatra » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:24 pm

dddhhh wrote:
blacklawboss wrote:
jrose5 wrote:

nulawadmissions: There is a minor bug affecting a small portion of our status check users. We're working on the issue & hope to have everything sorted soon!
about 21 hours ago
Retweeted by tweetsbyjohann

I still can't access mine, is it that way for anyone else or has everyone else's been fixed?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:28 pm

jrose: With a 3.8 GPA & an 170 LSAT score, you were a strong candidate regardless of work experience, in my opinion.

P.S. Haven't you also been accepted to at least three other top 14 law schools (Michigan, Penn & Georgetown ) ? If so, your application is quite strong.

ku1185

Postby ku1185 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:37 pm

shatra wrote:I still can't access mine, is it that way for anyone else or has everyone else's been fixed?

Mine is still down.

sargell83

Postby sargell83 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:39 pm

mine is down too((

dddhhh

Postby dddhhh » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:39 pm

shatra wrote:I still can't access mine, is it that way for anyone else or has everyone else's been fixed?

Via Twitter they said it had been fixed but I think many are still experiencing problems. I'm sure once the admit event ends they can get it to work for everyone.

tweetsbyjohann OK- just told that everything should be fine w/ Status Checker in about an hour. thanks for patience!
about 2 hours ago

jrose5

Postby jrose5 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:42 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:jrose: With a 3.8 GPA & an 170 LSAT score, you were a strong candidate regardless of work experience, in my opinion.

P.S. Haven't you also been accepted to at least three other top 14 law schools (Michigan, Penn & Georgetown ) ? If so, your application is quite strong.

Well, I assumed that with no WE and borderline #s for NU, it would be a longshot.

You must be confusing me with someone else? I've gotten into Michigan, but I have yet to hear back from Penn!

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:20 pm

jrose5 wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:jrose: With a 3.8 GPA & an 170 LSAT score, you were a strong candidate regardless of work experience, in my opinion.

Well, I assumed that with no WE and borderline #s for NU, it would be a longshot.

You must be confusing me with someone else? I've gotten into Michigan, but I have yet to hear back from Penn!

Take the compliment from NU 8)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”