Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tothePAIN

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby tothePAIN » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:14 pm

Held. Hold decisions are just transparent wait lists in my opinion.

WarioLaw

Postby WarioLaw » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:16 pm

pimpsdontcry wrote:
WarioLaw wrote:Just had a weird update on my status checker. As of sometime this morning, it updated to show complete as of 02/04/2011. It previously said that it was complete as of 01/03/2011, which is when I had my interview. Does it mean a decision to come or that I will be waiting 8 weeks from 02/04? Yes, it's a rhetorical question.

+1 to that my friend. stats?

3.8 UGPA
8 years FTWE

pimpsdontcry

Postby pimpsdontcry » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:24 pm

WarioLaw wrote:
pimpsdontcry wrote:
WarioLaw wrote:Just had a weird update on my status checker. As of sometime this morning, it updated to show complete as of 02/04/2011. It previously said that it was complete as of 01/03/2011, which is when I had my interview. Does it mean a decision to come or that I will be waiting 8 weeks from 02/04? Yes, it's a rhetorical question.

3.8 UGPA
8 years FTWE

'scuse me for my french. but holy sh!t u are a shoe in.

WarioLaw

Postby WarioLaw » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:38 pm

pimpsdontcry wrote:
WarioLaw wrote:
pimpsdontcry wrote:

3.8 UGPA
8 years FTWE

'scuse me for my french. but holy sh!t u are a shoe in.

I hope so! Northwestern certainly has appeal to an old fart like me.

pimpsdontcry

Postby pimpsdontcry » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:45 pm

WarioLaw wrote:I hope so! Northwestern certainly has appeal to an old fart like me.

hey, it's appealing for us old souls as well! haha

FutureInLaw

Postby FutureInLaw » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:48 pm

Any thoughts on these held essays?

neonx

Postby neonx » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:36 pm

What do updates on "Complete" dates in the status checker signify? Sorry if this was asked many times before.

Thanks!

WarioLaw

Postby WarioLaw » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:02 pm

neonx wrote:What do updates on "Complete" dates in the status checker signify? Sorry if this was asked many times before.

Thanks!

According to daisyduke, "It doesn't mean a decision has been made either (some have updated 3 or 4 times). It probably just means someone has looked at your file or something. We don't really know."

So, um, yeah.

drummerboy

Postby drummerboy » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:10 pm

IMO Being held, has some added benefits. You can be reasonably sure that your file gets another review and hopefully youll make the cut. if it then goes into "waitlist" status, according to TLS postings, you have less than a ten percent chance of acceptance.

RTFM

Postby RTFM » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:15 pm

FutureInLaw wrote:Any thoughts on these held essays?

I do not love the topics. But I'm definitely going to do one of them. Maybe more than one.

If I already wrote a "Why Northwestern?" (and I'm planning on writing at least one hold essay) is there any reason to also send a LOCI?

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:34 pm

neonx wrote:What do updates on "Complete" dates in the status checker signify? Sorry if this was asked many times before.

Thanks!

I never had an update to my status checker before my acceptance. I didn't even realize they did that!

WhatSarahSaid

Postby WhatSarahSaid » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:51 pm

It's so goofy that, of all the law schools, "we love work experience and our median age for matriculants is like 54" Northwestern has the goofiest essay prompts.

I'm setting the over-under on "people who write the perfect day essay about how their perfect day involves them getting accepted to Northwestern" at 2.5.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:14 am

WhatSarahSaid wrote:

It's so goofy that, of all the law schools, "we love work experience and our median age for matriculants is like 54" Northwestern has the goofiest essay prompts.

I'm setting the over-under on "people who write the perfect day essay about how their perfect day involves them getting accepted to Northwestern" at 2.5.

I sent a video response to that essay

I posted it on youtube if anyone wants to check it out and maybe get some inspiration

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CPlF-IEkXQ

math101

Postby math101 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:30 am

Bumi wrote:
math101 wrote:
Eff that noise. Withdrawing. At the beginning of my cycle, I thought I would hate to be in WL hell, but these 'holds' are cruel. Just plain cruel.

Can you explain the thought process about why a hold makes you want to withdraw, but WL wouldn't? I thought the NU holds mean you get another decision right after deposits are due. Just like a waitlist would. The difference is that with a waitlist, they won't necessarily tell you anything ever.

This:

speedyj88 wrote:Held. I really don't understand why this "decision" even exists. If it's a waitlist, call it a waitlist. If you're not actually making a decision, don't tell me anything.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:35 am

WhatSarahSaid wrote:

The essay topic is seriously 'What's your perfect day'? I can't be the only one who immediately thinks of the intro credit sequence from Legally Blonde.

WhatSarahSaid

Postby WhatSarahSaid » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:36 am

Holds are baffling to me. I have four right now, which might give me some kind of record (just under Mike Stanton, I guess), and I'm thinking of them all as waitlists/rejections.

The best was Columbia's e-mail, which was titled something like "Columbia Law Decision." No, that's not a decision.

WhatSarahSaid

Postby WhatSarahSaid » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:37 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
WhatSarahSaid wrote:

The essay topic is seriously 'What's your perfect day'? I can't be the only one who immediately thinks of the intro credit sequence from Legally Blonde.

The three prompts:

Question 1: Are social networking sites a positive or negative influence (on communication, human interaction, etc.)?
Question 2: Describe your version of a perfect day.
Question 3: If you could have dinner with a fictional TV character, who would it be and why?

I'm strongly considering writing #3 and making it about my dinner with Jack Bauer.

"WHERE ARE THE BREADSTICKS?!?"

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:40 am

WhatSarahSaid wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
WhatSarahSaid wrote:

The three prompts:

Question 1: Are social networking sites a positive or negative influence (on communication, human interaction, etc.)?
Question 3: If you could have dinner with a fictional TV character, who would it be and why?

I'm strongly considering writing #3 and making it about my dinner with Jack Bauer.

Eating with Jack Bauer would be dangerous. Doesn't everyone he ever talks to die? Also do you know when the movie is coming out? I hope it translates well.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:41 am

WhatSarahSaid wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
WhatSarahSaid wrote:

The three prompts:

I tried to watch season 1 of 24 on DVD and just wanted the obnoxious idiot daughter to fuckingDIEalready. I figured that meant I didn't like the show.
I'd want to spend time with Hawkeye from M*A*S*H or President Bartlett from West Wing. But I'd probably write about Hawkeye since the West Wing thing is a little bit too much like talking about Matlock in your law school PS.

chritabug

Postby chritabug » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:44 am

All I can think of is that scene in Miss Congeniality when they ask Gracie about her idea of a perfect date and she says April 25.

WhatSarahSaid

Postby WhatSarahSaid » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:45 am

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
Eating with Jack Bauer would be dangerous. Doesn't everyone he ever talks to die? Also do you know when the movie is coming out? I hope it translates well.

The rumor mill says they'll start shooting the movie at the end of the year.

I tried to watch season 1 of 24 on DVD and just wanted the obnoxious idiot daughter to fuckingDIEalready. I figured that meant I didn't like the show.

Yeah, it doesn't get much better in Season 2, in terms of her being dumb.

I watched Seasons 1-6. There are high points and low points -- some of the writing really is shoddy, but they also came up with a few great characters and great moments.

Does "the mayhem guy from the Allstate commercials" count as a TV character?

neonx

Postby neonx » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:54 am

chritabug wrote:

All I can think of is that scene in Miss Congeniality when they ask Gracie about her idea of a perfect date and she says April 25.

OMG, yes!! You win favourite-post-of-the-week.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:21 am

WhatSarahSaid wrote:Holds are baffling to me. I have four right now, which might give me some kind of record (just under Mike Stanton, I guess), and I'm thinking of them all as waitlists/rejections.

The best was Columbia's e-mail, which was titled something like "Columbia Law Decision." No, that's not a decision.

Probably because you have that horrible sox tar. If you got some cubby blue your luck might change.... I'm just sayin :wink:

chritabug

Postby chritabug » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:44 am

neonx wrote:
chritabug wrote:

OMG, yes!! You win favourite-post-of-the-week.

:D

Verity

Postby Verity » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:59 pm

Nice to see everyone taking a break today!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”