Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Gotti
Posts: 3436
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby Gotti » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:38 am

thelaststraw05 wrote:
Gotti wrote:ugh. held.

eta: letters are up


Sorry Gotti :( . You going to wait it out?

Yeah, I am. It just sucks cause it's sorta like a WL and I'm WL'd at Penn too so I'm not gonna know for a long time where I'm going lol
Did you get your decision yet? You're in, right?

User avatar
thelaststraw05
Posts: 1028
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:47 am

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby thelaststraw05 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:46 am

Gotti wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:
Gotti wrote:ugh. held.

eta: letters are up


Sorry Gotti :( . You going to wait it out?

Yeah, I am. It just sucks cause it's sorta like a WL and I'm WL'd at Penn too so I'm not gonna know for a long time where I'm going lol
Did you get your decision yet? You're in, right?


Yeah - I'm in at NU.

Right now I'm in the trying to figure out financial aid phase here and at GULC. AND waiting for a hold at Columbia to be resolved.

I figure I'm not making a decision until late March at this pace.

User avatar
swimmergirl1303
Posts: 307
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:26 pm

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby swimmergirl1303 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:56 am

Gotti wrote:ugh. held.

eta: letters are up



ditto.

mybrain
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:57 pm

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby mybrain » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:58 am

Held.....
Got an e-mail 20 min ago.

dcbound
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:36 pm

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby dcbound » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:01 pm

Can I ask when some of you who are being held, went complete??

User avatar
2011Cycle
Posts: 406
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:08 am

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby 2011Cycle » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:02 pm

Held -- withdrew

mybrain
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:57 pm

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby mybrain » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:09 pm

dcbound wrote:Can I ask when some of you who are being held, went complete??

initial completion 12/6, then date updated to 1/3.

dcbound
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:36 pm

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby dcbound » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:09 pm

mybrain wrote:
dcbound wrote:Can I ask when some of you who are being held, went complete??

initial completion 12/6, then date updated to 1/3.


Thank you

User avatar
BarnabeSpooge
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:19 pm

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby BarnabeSpooge » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:13 pm

I'm original complete 12/7, updated to 1/14. Anyone else in that same boat? When should we expect decisions/holds?

User avatar
math101
Posts: 124
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby math101 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:13 pm

mybrain wrote:Held.....
Got an e-mail 20 min ago.


Sorry if this has been asked before, but is an NU hold a waitlist or is it similar to the Columbia hold where it's basically a non-decision?

User avatar
BarnabeSpooge
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:19 pm

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby BarnabeSpooge » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:17 pm

math101 wrote:
mybrain wrote:Held.....
Got an e-mail 20 min ago.


Sorry if this has been asked before, but is an NU hold a waitlist or is it similar to the Columbia hold where it's basically a non-decision?

I'm pretty sure it is a non-decision.

drummerboy
Posts: 512
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:42 pm

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby drummerboy » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:19 pm

On hold as of 25 minutes ago.

User avatar
math101
Posts: 124
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby math101 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:23 pm

BarnabeSpooge wrote:
math101 wrote:
mybrain wrote:Held.....
Got an e-mail 20 min ago.


Sorry if this has been asked before, but is an NU hold a waitlist or is it similar to the Columbia hold where it's basically a non-decision?

I'm pretty sure it is a non-decision.


Eff that noise. Withdrawing. At the beginning of my cycle, I thought I would hate to be in WL hell, but these 'holds' are cruel. Just plain cruel.

User avatar
mfeller2
Posts: 167
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:34 pm

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby mfeller2 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:31 pm

Has anyone from the first batch of holds heard anything back yet? It seems ridiculous for them to wait until the end of April to reconsider the hold apps.

User avatar
Gotti
Posts: 3436
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby Gotti » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:32 pm

mfeller2 wrote:Has anyone from the first batch of holds heard anything back yet? It seems ridiculous for them to wait until the end of Aprilbeginning of May, after initial seat deposits are due at many schools to reconsider the hold apps.

FTFY :?

User avatar
hipstermafia
Posts: 1053
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:45 pm

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby hipstermafia » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:33 pm

Could they be holding so many people because they can't make a decisions on them during the fated 8 week guideline? Just a thought.

eta: does the hold letter say you'll be re-evaluated in may? or just later on at some point in time?

User avatar
xtine
Posts: 168
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:46 pm

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby xtine » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:41 pm

Gotti wrote:
mfeller2 wrote:Has anyone from the first batch of holds heard anything back yet? It seems ridiculous for them to wait until the end of Aprilbeginning of May, after initial seat deposits are due at many schools to reconsider the hold apps.

FTFY :?


I think it's just yield protection on their part. They figure they can wait you out and see if you're going to withdraw and go elsewhere once deposits are due or if you *really* want it. Not cool.

User avatar
Gotti
Posts: 3436
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby Gotti » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:45 pm

xtine wrote:
Gotti wrote:
mfeller2 wrote:Has anyone from the first batch of holds heard anything back yet? It seems ridiculous for them to wait until the end of Aprilbeginning of May, after initial seat deposits are due at many schools to reconsider the hold apps.

FTFY :?


I think it's just yield protection on their part. They figure they can wait you out and see if you're going to withdraw and go elsewhere once deposits are due or if you *really* want it. Not cool.

YP? I have a 164! I wish I had #s to be YP'd at a T14 :(

User avatar
BarnabeSpooge
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:19 pm

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby BarnabeSpooge » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:17 pm

Gotti wrote:
xtine wrote:I think it's just yield protection on their part. They figure they can wait you out and see if you're going to withdraw and go elsewhere once deposits are due or if you *really* want it. Not cool.

YP? I have a 164! I wish I had #s to be YP'd at a T14 :(

Still, that sort of makes sense. Even if they only hold everyone for a week or two, they're filtering out all those applicants who don't really care (because they withdrew upon the hold).

Bumi
Posts: 947
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:57 pm

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby Bumi » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:49 pm

math101 wrote:
BarnabeSpooge wrote:
math101 wrote:Sorry if this has been asked before, but is an NU hold a waitlist or is it similar to the Columbia hold where it's basically a non-decision?

I'm pretty sure it is a non-decision.


Eff that noise. Withdrawing. At the beginning of my cycle, I thought I would hate to be in WL hell, but these 'holds' are cruel. Just plain cruel.

Can you explain the thought process about why a hold makes you want to withdraw, but WL wouldn't? I thought the NU holds mean you get another decision right after deposits are due. Just like a waitlist would. The difference is that with a waitlist, they won't necessarily tell you anything ever.

WarioLaw
Posts: 138
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:10 am

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby WarioLaw » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:45 pm

Just had a weird update on my status checker. As of sometime this morning, it updated to show complete as of 02/04/2011. It previously said that it was complete as of 01/03/2011, which is when I had my interview. Does it mean a decision to come or that I will be waiting 8 weeks from 02/04? Yes, it's a rhetorical question.

User avatar
daisyduke
Posts: 310
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:22 pm

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby daisyduke » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:48 pm

WarioLaw wrote:Just had a weird update on my status checker. As of sometime this morning, it updated to show complete as of 02/04/2011. It previously said that it was complete as of 01/03/2011, which is when I had my interview. Does it mean a decision to come or that I will be waiting 8 weeks from 02/04? Yes, it's a rhetorical question.


It doesn't change your 8 weeks (although I am well passed my 8 weeks without any decision). It doesn't mean a decision has been made either (some have updated 3 or 4 times). It probably just means someone has looked at your file or something. We don't really know.

pimpsdontcry
Posts: 237
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:43 pm

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby pimpsdontcry » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:52 pm

WarioLaw wrote:Just had a weird update on my status checker. As of sometime this morning, it updated to show complete as of 02/04/2011. It previously said that it was complete as of 01/03/2011, which is when I had my interview. Does it mean a decision to come or that I will be waiting 8 weeks from 02/04? Yes, it's a rhetorical question.


+1 to that my friend. stats?

User avatar
speedyj88
Posts: 162
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:18 pm

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby speedyj88 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:09 pm

Held. I really don't understand why this "decision" even exists. If it's a waitlist, call it a waitlist. If you're not actually making a decision, don't tell me anything.

User avatar
gov
Posts: 302
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:27 pm

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby gov » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:10 pm

speedyj88 wrote:Held. I really don't understand why this "decision" even exists. If it's a waitlist, call it a waitlist. If you're not actually making a decision, don't tell me anything.


I think they are giving us a chance to submit additional documentation to make ourselves more competitive




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”