Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
awilson11

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby awilson11 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:28 pm

swimmergirl1303 wrote:Hey FYI for anyone else who's 8 weeks are up I called the admissions office and they said the 8 weeks is a guideline. It can be anywhere from 8 to 12 weeks! Good luck everyone!

Hmm. When I called the woman I talked to specifically said it was a deadline, and that while you may not get your decision in exactly 8 weeks, it would quickly follow.

EDIT: I guess they could liberally construe "quickly" to mean within 12 weeks even though 8 weeks was the deadline?
Last edited by awilson11 on Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lbki

Postby lbki » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:29 pm

localboy wrote:
lbki wrote:No AJD decisions today. If file was complete before last Friday, we will post a notification before the end of the week.
6 minutes ago via web tweetsbyjohann

lbki - did you ask Johann directly via twitter? bummer on the no AJD - although it seems like this happened last year as well.

Yes - I asked on Twitter if any AJD decisions would be released today. My guess is that we'll be notified on Friday.

swimmergirl1303

Postby swimmergirl1303 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:27 am

awilson11 wrote:
swimmergirl1303 wrote:Hey FYI for anyone else who's 8 weeks are up I called the admissions office and they said the 8 weeks is a guideline. It can be anywhere from 8 to 12 weeks! Good luck everyone!

Hmm. When I called the woman I talked to specifically said it was a deadline, and that while you may not get your decision in exactly 8 weeks, it would quickly follow.

EDIT: I guess they could liberally construe "quickly" to mean within 12 weeks even though 8 weeks was the deadline?

Yeah I talked to a man in the admissions office (I've gotten him 2x now for different things). Anyways, they probably meant it to be a deadline. Failed epicly and changed it to a guideline :D

I just feel misled :(

MillerTime

Postby MillerTime » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:50 pm

Hey, does anyone know if applicants that were held can do an additional interview after March 4th? I did one during my original application, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to do another. My first was off-campus.

This makes me think they only want one, but I'd love to go for another.

"If you have not conducted an on-campus interview, you may schedule an interview after March 4th."

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:01 pm

Has anyone submitted a travel subsidy request for ASW yet? and does anyone know what percentage of people actually get the subsidy? Seems like a complicated process...

dcwumpus

Postby dcwumpus » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:08 pm

evandm wrote:Hey, does anyone know if applicants that were held can do an additional interview after March 4th? I did one during my original application, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to do another. My first was off-campus.

"If you have not conducted an on-campus interview, you may schedule an interview after March 4th."

I contacted them because my interview was off-campus but with an admissions officer, which is a somewhat unique situation. They told me that, if you interviewed off-campus with an alum, you can sign up for an additional interview during the new March dates. If you interviewed with a member of the admissions staff, though, it's not advised.

gov

Postby gov » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:31 pm

dcwumpus wrote:
evandm wrote:Hey, does anyone know if applicants that were held can do an additional interview after March 4th? I did one during my original application, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to do another. My first was off-campus.

I contacted them because my interview was off-campus but with an admissions officer, which is a somewhat unique situation. They told me that, if you interviewed off-campus with an alum, you can sign up for an additional interview during the new March dates. If you interviewed with a member of the admissions staff, though, it's not advised.

I cannot decide what to do..my alum interview went really well and when I called he didn't sound like it would make a huge difference. Did you get a different impression?

dcwumpus

Postby dcwumpus » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:45 pm

govorett wrote:
dcwumpus wrote:

I cannot decide what to do..my alum interview went really well and when I called he didn't sound like it would make a huge difference. Did you get a different impression?

I emailed, so I can't say for sure. I feel like it's more about showing your commitment to attending? And there are probably other ways you can do that in writing.

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:50 pm

Fck this week has to be my week for a decision :shock:

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:16 am

Gotti wrote:Fck this week has to be my week for a decision :shock:

You'll get in dude, you'll get in.

plutonium210

Postby plutonium210 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:28 pm

nulawadmissions: NU Law Admissions
We will be sending out a batch of JD decisions today. Update on AJD decisions hopefully by the end of today. Thanks for your patience!
Lordy lordy! Here we go again

kch3684

Postby kch3684 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:34 pm

So I've got my LOCI done...send it in now or wait and send it in with an optional essay that I have yet to start?
I was part of the big batch of holds

gov

Postby gov » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:19 pm

kch3684 wrote:So I've got my LOCI done...send it in now or wait and send it in with an optional essay that I have yet to start?
I was part of the big batch of holds

I submitted the LOCI right away. I will prob send in the essays this weekend - wanted to make sure they were polished.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:46 pm

Submitted my NeedAccess, FAFSA and supplemental scholarship app Tuesday night, and got a confirmation email from NU today that all my financial aid stuff is complete.

So now I have nothing to work on while I chew my fingernails and wait for word on my deferral request. (The financial aid stuff will end up being useless since I'll have to do it all again next year--assuming the deferral is granted--but I figured I should jump through all the hoops to properly illustrate my devotion to NU.)

I mailed my deferral request last Wednesday, so they should have had it in their hands for a week now. The seat deposit check I sent with it has not been cashed yet. I really wish I had a clue of when I can expect to hear back! :?

whathojeeves

Postby whathojeeves » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:53 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Submitted my NeedAccess, FAFSA and supplemental scholarship app Tuesday night, and got a confirmation email from NU today that all my financial aid stuff is complete.

So now I have nothing to work on while I chew my fingernails and wait for word on my deferral request. (The financial aid stuff will end up being useless since I'll have to do it all again next year--assuming the deferral is granted--but I figured I should jump through all the hoops to properly illustrate my devotion to NU.)

I mailed my deferral request last Wednesday, so they should have had it in their hands for a week now. The seat deposit check I sent with it has not been cashed yet. I really wish I had a clue of when I can expect to hear back! :?

Ugh you're so organized. I'm still trying to finish the supplement. What the hell am I supposed to write for 300-500 words? Maybe just state "I IZ POOR GIVE ME MONEYZ PLISS" around 60 times?

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:55 pm

whathojeeves wrote:What the hell am I supposed to write for 300-500 words? Maybe just state "I IZ POOR GIVE ME MONEYZ PLISS" around 60 times?

I'm having more trouble with "how will NU help me achieve my career goals." It's not that I can't think of what to write, it's that I already wrote that essay and included it in my application as a Why Northwestern essay.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:00 pm

Bumi wrote:
whathojeeves wrote:What the hell am I supposed to write for 300-500 words? Maybe just state "I IZ POOR GIVE ME MONEYZ PLISS" around 60 times?

I'm having more trouble with "how will NU help me achieve my career goals." It's not that I can't think of what to write, it's that I already wrote that essay and included it in my application as a Why Northwestern essay.

I didn't think of that, but you are totally right. The first question was very much asking for a 'Why NU'. I'm glad I hadn't used up those thoughts in a separate 'Why NU' essay already.

I had a hard time figuring out how to talk about my qualification for merit aid in the second one. I'm like 'well, you have my transcripts and my LSAT...isn't that enough?'

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:06 pm

<--- having the same troubles with those mini essays :(

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:35 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:I had a hard time figuring out how to talk about my qualification for merit aid in the second one. I'm like 'well, you have my transcripts and my LSAT...isn't that enough?'

Maybe they want us to put the other schools to which we've been admitted and whether we've gotten merit aid at any of those.

ArghItsBlarg

Postby ArghItsBlarg » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:52 pm

I've thought about that, Bumi, and I keep writing/deleting those sentences because it feels too out of place to me.

I didn't write a Why NU essay, but I'm having issues with that one as well trying to write something besides "Uh, it's NU, you're highly ranked, well-respected and employers love you."

Do deferrals for sure obviate any financial aid awards? I hadn't heard that.

whathojeeves

Postby whathojeeves » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:54 pm

ArghItsBlarg wrote:I've thought about that, Bumi, and I keep writing/deleting those sentences because it feels too out of place to me.

I didn't write a Why NU essay, but I'm having issues with that one as well trying to write something besides "Uh, it's NU, you're highly ranked, well-respected and employers love you."

With most schools, yes. I haven't checked in to Northwestern's policy in particular, but several financial aid sites have a blurb along the lines of "can't guarantee your financial aid award should you defer/you will have to re-apply for it with the new entering class"

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:07 pm

ArghItsBlarg wrote:I've thought about that, Bumi, and I keep writing/deleting those sentences because it feels too out of place to me.

This is more or less what I wrote for that part. Also talked about leadership and collegiality.

For Merit I just ran through the best parts of my resume in prose form.

For need I talked about how poor I currently am and that I have a kid.

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:18 pm

homestyle28 wrote:

This is more or less what I wrote for that part. Also talked about leadership and collegiality.

if you don't mind me asking, were you offered money? :)

lawandi

Postby lawandi » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:23 pm

Held, which is more than I was expecting b/c I don't have work experience. Is there any chance of me getting in?

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:24 pm

hipstermafia wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:

if you don't mind me asking, were you offered money? :)

I requested and was granted the deferral before I got any award notice (though I wasn't in the first wave of kids they offer full rides too if they defer). So no, but with my UG GPA I wasn't expecting any scholly $. As a deferred student I had to reapply for aid this year.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”