Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
dddhhh

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby dddhhh » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:40 pm

hipstermafia wrote:
dddhhh wrote:From their website:
JD Candidates
Financial aid at Northwestern Law takes many forms, including scholarships, grants, and loans. You absolutely must apply for financial aid in order to be considered for any kind of financial assistance, including scholarships or grants. All of our scholarships/grants are awarded on a combined basis of need and merit, so if you do not submit a financial aid application, you will never be considered for a scholarship. There are 3 components to a complete financial aid application:

A 2011-2012 Need Access application (available online after January 2, 2011)
Scholarship and Grant Supplemental Application *
A 2011-2012 FAFSA (our school code is 001739)
* The essay questions posed in the Scholarship and Grant Supplemental Application are as follows:

Please describe in detail how Northwestern Law will uniquely help you reach your short-term and long-term career goals. (300-500 words)
Northwestern Law administers an extensive program of scholarships and grants, all of which are awarded on a combined basis of merit and financial need. Please assess your position for merit aid and discuss your financial need for aid. (300-500 words)

The deadline for submitting your complete financial aid application is March 1 at 5 pm

so is it just that one question then?

There are two,
a) Please describe in detail how Northwestern Law will uniquely help you reach your short-term and long-term career goals
b) Please assess your position for merit aid and discuss your financial need for aid.

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:42 pm

dddhhh wrote:There are two,
a) Please describe in detail how Northwestern Law will uniquely help you reach your short-term and long-term career goals
b) Please assess your position for merit aid and discuss your financial need for aid.

RC fail, THANKS!

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:22 pm

dddhhh wrote:
There are two,

What does that mean? Why you think you should get the merit aid over someone else?

rs2004

Postby rs2004 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:30 pm

sarahlawg wrote:
dddhhh wrote:
There are two,

What does that mean? Why you think you should get the merit aid over someone else?

Create a budget for yourself. how much you estimate your cost will be for the academic year, food costs, transportation, living expenses, etc. if you aren't going to be getting any help from family or other sources, say so.

this doesn't seem to be a why you over others question. just discuss why you in your current situation is asking NU for money with frankness. if you've worked for x many years and don't have any savings because you live in a money-sucking hole like nyc, make that clear. so on and so forth.

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:01 pm

rs2004 wrote:
sarahlawg wrote:
dddhhh wrote:
There are two,

Create a budget for yourself. how much you estimate your cost will be for the academic year, food costs, transportation, living expenses, etc. if you aren't going to be getting any help from family or other sources, say so.

this doesn't seem to be a why you over others question. just discuss why you in your current situation is asking NU for money with frankness. if you've worked for x many years and don't have any savings because you live in a money-sucking hole like nyc, make that clear. so on and so forth.

that sounds like just an answer to the second part: discuss your financial need for aid. The 'please assess your position for merit aid' makes me think I need to say what I've done to deserve aid to the school. No?

rs2004

Postby rs2004 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:07 pm

sarahlawg wrote:
rs2004 wrote:
sarahlawg wrote:
dddhhh wrote:
There are two,

that sounds like just an answer to the second part: discuss your financial need for aid. The 'please assess your position for merit aid' makes me think I need to say what I've done to deserve aid to the school. No?

well we could go back and forth on the semantics of the question (i do think that assessing your position means, figuring out where you stand financially, for example if you worked for 3 years and you have 5000 in savings, will that go towards tuition, living expenses, or do you need that for a rainy day, etc.)

but i would just call financial aid to get a clear meaning.
Last edited by rs2004 on Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:10 pm

rs2004 wrote:well we could go back and forth on the semantics of the question (i do think that assessing your position means, figuring out where you stand financially, for example if you worked for 3 years and you have 5000 in savings, will that go towards tuition, living expenses, or do you need that for a rainy day, etc.)

isn't this what we're about to do for three years? :lol:

rs2004

Postby rs2004 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:11 pm

hipstermafia wrote:
rs2004 wrote:well we could go back and forth on the semantics of the question (i do think that assessing your position means, figuring out where you stand financially, for example if you worked for 3 years and you have 5000 in savings, will that go towards tuition, living expenses, or do you need that for a rainy day, etc.)

isn't this what we're about to do for three years? :lol:

haha yes, and that is also what i've been paid to do for the last few years. buuuut, when it comes to money and how much you're gonna get and how much you're gonna pay out of pocket, the meaning of the question should be crystal clear!

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:18 pm

but i would just call financial aid to get a clear meaning.

Yeah I may just because they use both terms (merit aid vs need aid) separately in the topic. I thought someone maybe would know from prior experience. I think it's weird they make you write a 2-page essay on this when your resume/numbers as well as your FAFSA should speak for themselves.

rockies2

Postby rockies2 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:37 am

Siamsa414 wrote:I applied 1/14 and have yet to hear anything at all from Northwestern--no app acknowledgement email, no status checker, nothing. Should I be concerned and maybe contact them, or is this par for the course?

This happened to me too, you can request an email on the application status page.

Siamsa414

Postby Siamsa414 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:43 am

rockies2 wrote:
Siamsa414 wrote:I applied 1/14 and have yet to hear anything at all from Northwestern--no app acknowledgement email, no status checker, nothing. Should I be concerned and maybe contact them, or is this par for the course?

This happened to me too, you can request an email on the application status page.

Oh, sweet, that works. Thanks!

localboy

Postby localboy » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:48 pm

Last edited by localboy on Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SirWilliam1022

Postby SirWilliam1022 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:04 pm

Should be in today. They say that if you weren't able to make it into your interview because of travel delays that you should call to cancel or reschedule. However, this has two other meanings: 1) There will be some interviews for those who were able to make it into town; 2) There will be some admissions stafff there to answer phones. Snow is nothing new to people in Chicago so I would anticipate answers today or tomorrow at the latest. Very much hoping so.

rs2004

Postby rs2004 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:39 pm

NorthwesternU
Northwestern News
Decision to cancel classes/close University on Wed will be made early Wed morning with text msg/e-mail update --LinkRemoved--
1 hour ago via TweetDeck Favorite Retweet Reply

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Retweeted by tweetsbyjohann and 12 others

lbki

Postby lbki » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:11 pm

No AJD decisions today. If file was complete before last Friday, we will post a notification before the end of the week.
6 minutes ago via web tweetsbyjohann

SirWilliam1022

Postby SirWilliam1022 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:21 pm

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rs2004

Postby rs2004 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:26 pm

SirWilliam1022 wrote:Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but wait, there's more...

NU Law Admissions
True story. We'll most likely be open tomorrow. RT @tweetsbyjohann: Northwestern last closed due to extreme weather on: Jan 15, 1979

@tweetsbyjohann
Johann
Unless the University closes (See earlier RT), our office will be open. Although, there may only be one person here.

SirWilliam1022

Postby SirWilliam1022 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:26 pm

Nooooo!!!

rs2004

Postby rs2004 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:28 pm

SirWilliam1022 wrote:Nooooo!!!

hahahaha

this thread is prettay prettay prettay good.....

dddhhh

Postby dddhhh » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:28 pm

rs2004 wrote:
SirWilliam1022 wrote:Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but wait, there's more...

NU Law Admissions
True story. We'll most likely be open tomorrow. RT @tweetsbyjohann: Northwestern last closed due to extreme weather on: Jan 15, 1979

@tweetsbyjohann
Johann
Unless the University closes (See earlier RT), our office will be open. Although, there may only be one person here.

I'm sure they will work from home to try to meet the new deadline given. One of johann's earlier tweets was about being able to read more files/send decisions when it snows because they have more time to read. Good luck everyone!

localboy

Postby localboy » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:55 pm

Last edited by localboy on Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SirWilliam1022

Postby SirWilliam1022 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:10 pm

Here is an image I found of the unrest that has begun outside of the Northwestern Admissions office... it seems one million AJD applicants have assembled for an overthrow of the admissions committee. Admissions Director Mubarak has invoked a curfew of 5pm, has sacked the governing structure, and promises a quick response to all applicant files. =D

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:14 pm

SirWilliam1022 wrote:Image

Here is an image I found of the unrest that has begun outside of the Northwestern Admissions office... it seems one million AJD applicants have assembled for an overthrow of the admissions committee. Admissions Director Mubarak has invoked a curfew of 5pm, has sacked the governing structure, and promises a quick response to all applicant files. =D

Funny, I thought there'd be more snow. :P

SirWilliam1022

Postby SirWilliam1022 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:15 pm

Just a little joke Northwestern... please don't throw my application in the garbage.

[(Inside of the mind of the Northwestern Admissions Czar - "Just a little joke, Bill... I seem to have misplaced your application... (in the dumpster out back)]

My Application after the last post. =C ----> (Was supposed to be a picture of Oscar the Grouch, but techincal difficulties got in the way.)
Last edited by SirWilliam1022 on Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swimmergirl1303

Postby swimmergirl1303 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:26 pm

Hey FYI for anyone else who's 8 weeks are up I called the admissions office and they said the 8 weeks is a guideline. It can be anywhere from 8 to 12 weeks! Good luck everyone!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”