Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Polybius

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby Polybius » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:31 am

Has anyone else here been complete since November (or earlier) but has yet to hear anything at all? I'm studying abroad, but since NU is e-mailing decisions I didn't think that would make a difference. (The reason I ask is because eight weeks have passed since Dec. 1 without a decision, so I am just curious whether that should be considered normal.)

Thanks for the input, and hope y'all are doing well.

gov

Postby gov » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:46 am

Polybius wrote:Has anyone else here been complete since November (or earlier) but has yet to hear anything at all? I'm studying abroad, but since NU is e-mailing decisions I didn't think that would make a difference. (The reason I ask is because eight weeks have passed since Dec. 1 without a decision, so I am just curious whether that should be considered normal.)

They may release decisions today too!

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:02 am

mr_toad wrote:Here comes a stupid question. They want all updates done electronically "to be green and have a paperless process". But it looks like we need to print this form out and send it in, right?

NU Admissions Blog wrote:The response form: turn it in via fax or email.

Obviously, faxing it doesn't save any paper, and I don't know how possible it is to email it, but there you go. Good luck!

femme

Postby femme » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:14 am

Bumi wrote:
mr_toad wrote:Here comes a stupid question. They want all updates done electronically "to be green and have a paperless process". But it looks like we need to print this form out and send it in, right?

Obviously, faxing it doesn't save any paper, and I don't know how possible it is to email it, but there you go. Good luck!

You could always scan the document and send it via e-mail as a pdf.

mfeller2

Postby mfeller2 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:19 am

Damn, put on hold at my number one choice. Not a good way to start a Friday. :( Atleast I got somewhat of an answer... Good luck to those still waiting!

krad

Postby krad » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:24 am

I was just wondering about this. WTF are we supposed to do? I was planning to fax it, but that doesn't really save paper. I don't have a scanner and I can't use the work scanner because I can't let the admin ladies see that I'm applying to LS (they do all scans and are like angry gossipy cats). WHAT TO DO

gov

Postby gov » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:24 am

krad wrote:

I was just wondering about this. WTF are we supposed to do? I was planning to fax it, but that doesn't really save paper. I don't have a scanner and I can't use the work scanner because I can't let the admin ladies see that I'm applying to LS (they do all scans and are like angry gossipy cats). WHAT TO DO

I faxed it. I hope they understand?

mr_toad

Postby mr_toad » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:25 am

femme wrote:
Bumi wrote:

Scanning a paperless document... yeah. :)

No, I guess either of those options does at least save an envelope. It's just one of those things that isn't thought through 100%, probably. I'll plant NEW trees if that's what it takes to get them to accept me...

gov

Postby gov » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:26 am

mr_toad wrote:
No, I guess either of those options does at least save an envelope. It's just one of those things that isn't thought through 100%, probably. I'll plant NEW trees if that's what it takes to get them to accept me...

You should write that on there before you fax it.

krad

Postby krad » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:26 am

mr_toad wrote:
femme wrote:
Bumi wrote:

Scanning a paperless document... yeah. :)

Hahaha. Donate some $ to a tree planting org and attach the receipt?

I think I'm just going to fax it, I want it in ASAP along with an LOCI as a cover letter. UGH!

Z3RO

Postby Z3RO » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:30 am

the reason that it saves paper, is because the people who don't want to stay on the list will not print it and return the document. this is less paper than if they mailed it to everybody.

mr_toad

Postby mr_toad » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:33 am

Z3RO wrote:the reason that it saves paper, is because the people who don't want to stay on the list will not print it and return the document. this is less paper than if they mailed it to everybody.

Agreed. Everything after that is a bonus.

gov

Postby gov » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:34 am

krad wrote:
I think I'm just going to fax it, I want it in ASAP along with an LOCI as a cover letter. UGH!

I sent in the form about 10 min ago. I will be sending in the LOCI and 3 essays by Monday so I can make sure that they are perfect.

rs2004

Postby rs2004 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:02 am

Polybius wrote:Has anyone else here been complete since November (or earlier) but has yet to hear anything at all? I'm studying abroad, but since NU is e-mailing decisions I didn't think that would make a difference. (The reason I ask is because eight weeks have passed since Dec. 1 without a decision, so I am just curious whether that should be considered normal.)

complete since mid november, not a peep except a complete date change to 1/12

pimpsdontcry

Postby pimpsdontcry » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:05 am

mfeller2 wrote:Damn, put on hold at my number one choice. Not a good way to start a Friday. :( Atleast I got somewhat of an answer... Good luck to those still waiting!

u just got it?

mr_toad

Postby mr_toad » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:06 am

It's pretty crazy. People are complaining about how slow Duke is, but on LSN Duke has a full screen of acceptances plus more on the next page (about 120-140 acceptances). NU only has 60 so far. For comparison's sake, below:

UM: ~130 (total applicants on LSN: 573) Percent admitted: 23%, last year percent admitted: 260/800, about 33%
UVa: ~95 (total applicants on LSN: 718) Percent admitted: 13%, last year percent admitted:185/1050, about 18%
Duke: ~125 (total applicants on LSN: 579) Percent admitted: 22%, last year percent admitted: 350/900, about 39%
NU: ~60 (total applicants on LSN: 381) Percent admitted: 16%, last year percent admitted: 150/400, about 38%
Cornell: ~110 (total applicants on LSN: 563) Percent admitted: 20%, last year percent admitted: 230/775, about 30%
G-town: ~240 (total applicants on LSN: 731) Percent admitted: 33%, last year percent admitted: 425/1075, about 40%
Texas: ~125 (total applicants on LSN: 385) Percent admitted: 33%, last year percent admitted: 220/520, about 42%
UCLA: ~75 (total applicants on LSN: 582) Percent admitted: 13%, last year percent admitted: 206/750, about 27.5%
Vandy: ~100 (total applicants on LSN: 364) Percent admitted: 27%, last year percent admitted: 195/520, about 37.5%
USC: ~25 (LOL) (total applicants on LSN: 379) Percent admitted: 6.6%, last year percent admitted: 210/540, about 39%

Obviously, this is tailored to my needs. But it's interesting to see the disparity. I think someone with greater stats knowledge than me would have to guess at how self-selecting biases would affect any tendencies seen above. Also, the numbers are scanned guestimates operating on the approximation of 25 names per screen on my computer (it's actually closer to 26), so the raw numbers are low by about 3-5%, but the percentages should remain about the same. Pretty crazy. Lots left to happen...

It does seem to show that people self-selecting onto LSN are also more likely to get accepted. Some of those numbers from last year are crazy! Duke: 39%. Overall they had a 13% admittance, which means those people who are aware of and use LSN are roughly 300% more likely to be admitted to Duke....

mr_toad

Postby mr_toad » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:07 am

Yes, I like the word crazy. But the above situation demands its repeated use.

krad

Postby krad » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:18 am

govorett wrote:
krad wrote:

I sent in the form about 10 min ago. I will be sending in the LOCI and 3 essays by Monday so I can make sure that they are perfect.

I just faxed mine with an LOCI that I worked on last night and this AM... I'm going to write the essays this weekend :D

So much work, haha.

It makes me like schools like UIUC that want me and throw $ at me.

gov

Postby gov » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:22 am

krad wrote:
govorett wrote:
krad wrote:

I just faxed mine with an LOCI that I worked on last night and this AM... I'm going to write the essays this weekend :D

So much work, haha.

Considering I am not in the same situation, I will do anything! But I need to make sure everything is perfect because they don't need much of an excuse to toss me aside.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:29 am

krad wrote:
govorett wrote:
krad wrote:

So much work, haha.

Good luck.

pimpsdontcry

Postby pimpsdontcry » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:30 am

good statistical analysis! however, you are assuming updates on LSN come immediately after acceptance. Many individuals wait until the end of the cycle to update their profile. The percentages are therefore an interesting, but an unreliable source.

mr_toad

Postby mr_toad » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:39 am

pimpsdontcry wrote:good statistical analysis! however, you are assuming updates on LSN come immediately after acceptance. Many individuals wait until the end of the cycle to update their profile. The percentages are therefore an interesting, but an unreliable source.

As with any self-selecting data. But your point does call into question my assumption that much is left to happen. It does not, however, affect my assertion that LSN indeed is comprised of people more likely to be admitted [edit add-> People have often claimed this, but I can't recall ever seeing numbers that made the differences so stark [end add edit]. Last year's percentages show a 200-300 percent greater chance of admissions than reflected by overall admission percentages. Duke exhibits the biggest difference, whereas some other schools are hovering right below the 200% mark.

I wish I knew how to take your criticism into account, but it's just gonna be one of those things. Shadowy data are shadowy data.

pimpsdontcry

Postby pimpsdontcry » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:42 am

mr_toad wrote:
pimpsdontcry wrote:good statistical analysis! however, you are assuming updates on LSN come immediately after acceptance. Many individuals wait until the end of the cycle to update their profile. The percentages are therefore an interesting, but an unreliable source.

As with any self-selecting data. But your point does call into question my assumption that much is left to happen. It does not, however, affect my assertion that LSN indeed is comprised of people more likely to be admitted [edit add-> People have often claimed this, but I can't recall ever seeing numbers that made the differences so stark [end add edit]. Last year's percentages show a 200-300 percent greater chance of admissions than reflected by overall admission percentages. Duke exhibits the biggest difference, whereas some other schools are hovering right below the 200% mark.

I wish I knew how to take your criticism into account, but it's just gonna be one of those things. Shadowy data are shadowy data.

no no ur right about the duke data thing. sorry on my phone so it's kind of hard to type elaborate posts hahaha. But LSN is all "shadowy" data, people lie for sh*ts and giggles haha kudos for sitting down and thinking it through though. probably should take a break from all of it so you dont go crazy

femme

Postby femme » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:15 pm

@tweetsbyjohann - signing this batch of admit letters w/ a purple pen. hoping that sarah's choice of pen doesn't clash with mine.

servo

Postby servo » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:21 pm

bring it on johann. I guess we can start waiting at 10 am today for decisions that won't come out til 5

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”