Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
originalmutt

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Postby originalmutt » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:29 pm

bk1 wrote:1. Be considerate to other applicants as it helps speed of the decision process of adcomms and thus help all others on hold/waitlist.

OK, I could maybe, sort of see why someone would withdraw for this reason -- maybe you get some good karma running your way. But I've yet to see anyone withdraw for that reason

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:31 pm

Got the hold email. I only applied cause of a fee waiver. I am straight out of undergrad, didn't submit any LOR and prob just wasted my 12 bucks by not taking the app seriously. I don't think I would attend. That being said I will probably just not send in the form and let the deadline pass.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:32 pm

originalmutt wrote:
bk1 wrote:1. Be considerate to other applicants as it helps speed of the decision process of adcomms and thus help all others on hold/waitlist.

OK, I could maybe, sort of see why someone would withdraw for this reason -- maybe you get some good karma running your way. But I've yet to see anyone withdraw for that reason

I think it usually has to do with being sure one doesn't want to attend and wanting to finalize that decision.

ETA: Yes there is more benefit to staying on, but people do feel good about finalizing their decision.

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:35 pm

bk1 wrote:
originalmutt wrote:What purpose is served by withdrawing? Why not give the adcomm more work to do to spite them?

I just see no benefit in withdrawing an app other than to protect one's ego, but maybe I'm missing something. Even if you plan to go elsewhere seems like you have nothing to lose keeping your app active.

The only reasons I can think of:

1. Be considerate to other applicants as it helps speed of the decision process of adcomms and thus help all others on hold/waitlist.

2. Because you want to spite them in some odd way. Some people feel good about rejecting the school (in an odd way).

3. Just to put it out of your mind so you can plan. (This one is a bit irrational.)

But yes, you technically have nothing to lose by keeping it open.

4. Because upon applying, you weren't really sure if you wanted to go there anyway, and the fact that you have to write extra essays/spend $$ to go visit if you're far away/put in extra effort isn't worth what the school means to you since you got into another school that you actually KNOW you want to go to.

(^^this is how I felt about UIUC once WL'd)

magicman554

Postby magicman554 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:37 pm

dabbadon8 wrote:Got the hold email. I only applied cause of a fee waiver. I am straight out of undergrad, didn't submit any LOR and prob just wasted my 12 bucks by not taking the app seriously. I don't think I would attend. That being said I will probably just not send in the form and let the deadline pass.

Please withdraw. It's the considerate thing to do, and many people, like myself, will greatly appreciate it.

Ratchet Jackson

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:39 pm

magicman554 wrote:
dabbadon8 wrote:Got the hold email. I only applied cause of a fee waiver. I am straight out of undergrad, didn't submit any LOR and prob just wasted my 12 bucks by not taking the app seriously. I don't think I would attend. That being said I will probably just not send in the form and let the deadline pass.

Please withdraw. It's the considerate thing to do, and many people, like myself, will greatly appreciate it.

+1.

eskimogirl

Postby eskimogirl » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:39 pm

originalmutt wrote:

i'm actually withdrawing for exactly this reason. i know regardless of what they decided there is no way i am going to go there. so for me to take the energy to fill out and send the form (i'm not withdrawing via form, i'm just doing nothing and allowing them to withdraw my application when the deadline comes) just to get a decision, which if it's an acceptance means i've taken it from someone who might actually want to go there, seems ridiculous.

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:40 pm

magicman554 wrote:

It won't effect you in the slightest. According to the letter I won't remain under consideration unless I send in the form and my app will be automatically withdraw in april before they examine the holds in may.

SMA22

Postby SMA22 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:41 pm

eskimogirl wrote:
originalmutt wrote:

i'm actually withdrawing for exactly this reason. i know regardless of what they decided there is no way i am going to go there. so for me to take the energy to fill out and send the form (i'm not withdrawing via form, i'm just doing nothing and allowing them to withdraw my application when the deadline comes) just to get a decision, which if it's an acceptance means i've taken it from someone who might actually want to go there, seems ridiculous.

Love you :D

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:43 pm

Held.

Going to buy plane tickets to take a flight out there as soon as the weather is less frightful.

I am so so so shocked they didn't ding me.

Go NU~!!

magicman554

Postby magicman554 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:44 pm

dabbadon8 wrote:
magicman554 wrote:

It won't effect you in the slightest. According to the letter I won't remain under consideration unless I send in the form and my app will be automatically withdraw in april before they examine the holds in may.

Hey, maybe you'll free up a spot on the waitlist itself, and I'll take that if I can get it!

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:45 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:Held.

Going to buy plane tickets to take a flight out there as soon as the weather is less frightful.

Go NU~!!

Looks like that makes two Aggies are going to be headed to Chicago to interview. :)

BuckeyeGirl

Postby BuckeyeGirl » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:46 pm

So...I'll be sending that form back tomorrow, LOCI by Monday, and an additional LOR/Career Progress Eval ASAP. I would LOVE to go to Northwestern and am VERY interested. What are the possibilities of getting admitted?

I am happy to not be straight rejected/waitlisted but also bummed since so many people seem indifferent and I want to go SO MUCH. Boo, show me the love NU!

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:47 pm

bk1 wrote:

Go NU~!!

Looks like that makes two Aggies are going to be headed to Chicago to interview. :)

WOOT! Actually, I already interviewed! Or did you mean another interview? Can I do that? :O

My heart STOPPED and I almost fell out of my chair in class when the NU e-mail popped up. I am pretty sure I squeaked when I read that it wasn't a ding. LOL

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:47 pm

Go NU~!!

Yay this gives me hope! WHen did you go complete

femme

Postby femme » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:48 pm

Nothing for me. This is either great news or the worst news ever. To all the female URMs who decide to withdraw, tyia

Flustercluck

Postby Flustercluck » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:48 pm

Multiple Aggies?

Ha, I'm in Sacto myself, go figure.

Gooooooooooo Nor-Cal!

krad

Postby krad » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:48 pm

I will be riding the hold and doing what I can :) glad to see there are some others still stoked on NU despite the sting of today's news... Sooo annoying that the SO and I will be in Chi visiting fam the week before we're allowed to interview. I plan to ask anyway since I'll be literally right up the street at his parents' place.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:51 pm

Gotti wrote:

Go NU~!!

12/01! So just a bit before you (because of your "late" interview).

gov

Postby gov » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:54 pm

Gotti wrote:

Go NU~!!

I was complete 12/16

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:04 pm

govorett wrote:
Gotti wrote:

Go NU~!!

I was complete 12/16

Damn so I think I'm either ding or in (lolyaright) since I went complete before you and didn't get an email? Dunno. Maybe my interviewer didn't submit his stuff till later or something.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:07 pm

Gotti wrote:
govorett wrote:
Gotti wrote:

Go NU~!!

I was complete 12/16

Damn so I think I'm either ding or in (lolyaright) since I went complete before you and didn't get an email? Dunno. Maybe my interviewer didn't submit his stuff till later or something.

It's really hard to say =/

BuckeyeGirl

Postby BuckeyeGirl » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:08 pm

I submitted 12/21, went complete 12/28, and was held today. No Why NU essay (for the record: DUMB) but LOCI will essentially rectify that, if only a day late and a dollar short.

So what does a super fast hold mean, TLS?! :shock:

snldude

Postby snldude » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:30 pm

Held as well. Anyone have any idea about what this means for financial aid. I know it's bad, but how bad?

rs2004

Postby rs2004 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:35 pm

okay just read the blog on the hold status. that really sucks that NU won't look at hold applications til april. since they sent out dings on monday, i dont know what to say for those who did not get an email today, including myself. and i guess for those who were held and want NU to "notice" them, you have got some ass-kissing, essay-writing, and interviewing (if you havent already done so) to do.

as for fin aid, i would still fill put NU in your fafsa and their need-access form which is due march 1 (but should be done by mid feb to make sure it is processed on time).

but as for getting aid with this april thing in mind, your guess is as good as mine.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”