Northwestern 2011 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
gov

Bronze

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Post by gov » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:55 pm

I am just gonna submit the essay I didn't write. bah.

lynnford

New

Post by lynnford » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:56 pm

Got accepted via email! Complete 11/8.

Bumi

Silver

Post by Bumi » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:00 pm

dcwumpus wrote:I'm assuming the people getting decisions applied pre-December, right? I know I probably have to wait a minimum of four more weeks, but I can't stop refreshing my email anyway.
I applied on 10/8 and interviewed a few days later. I wasn't complete until 11/23 though for some reason - I finally just emailed the office and asked if there was anything else I needed to submit, and they marked me complete.

Gotti

Gold

Post by Gotti » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:00 pm

govorett wrote:I am just gonna submit the essay I didn't write. bah.
me too
lynnford wrote:Got accepted via email! Complete 11/8.
congrats! stats/date you submitted?

Bumi

Silver

Post by Bumi » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:01 pm

I'm already making plans for admitted students weekend, April 8-9. Can't wait.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lynnford

New

Post by lynnford » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:10 pm

Gotti wrote:
govorett wrote:I am just gonna submit the essay I didn't write. bah.
me too
lynnford wrote:Got accepted via email! Complete 11/8.
congrats! stats/date you submitted?
Submitted 11/5
Complete 11/8 (but I had the interview 11/10 and I think they might wait to review the file until after the interviewer comments...)

lakerfanimal

Bronze

Post by lakerfanimal » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:12 pm

In. PM if you want exact stats, but above the 75th LSAT, almost median GPA

1 year out of undergrad, but I had a crazy work schedule for a few months which impressed my interviewer and he basically said he'd go to bat for me. Not sure how much that mattered, but it probably didn't hurt. I didn't submit those special recs that NW asks for.

Bumi

Silver

Post by Bumi » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:28 pm

lakerfanimal wrote:I didn't submit those special recs that NW asks for.
Ditto. I sent only one LOR and nothing else. PM for stats - well above the 75th for LSAT, well below the 25th for GPA. 6 years WE, engineering degree.

speedyj88

Bronze

Post by speedyj88 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:36 pm

Congrats to everyone that got in this round! I can only hope that I'll be joining you guys soon. My complete date updated to 1/3/11 (originally 11/23/10) a couple days ago and I was hoping that was a sign that a decision was rendered. The wait continues...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

vegenator

Bronze

Post by vegenator » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:43 pm

Congrats everyone! :D
I submitted mid September and was complete shortly thereafter fo those wondering about dates.

lakerfanimal

Bronze

Post by lakerfanimal » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:47 pm

Oh yeah, congrats to you other admits too :)

And good luck to those still waiting!

mfeller2

Bronze

Post by mfeller2 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:50 pm

Congrats everyone in today! Also thank you for making my afternoon completely unproductive, as I have checked my e-mail five times in the last half hour. :)

sarahlawg

Silver

Post by sarahlawg » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:46 pm

In about an hour and a half ago via email! Yayyyy. can't WAIT to go to Chicago for ASW. Well, hopefully.

171/3.86 + 2yrs WE, no additional essays + 1 CPE (er whatever that thing was called).

SO pumped about this acceptance!

edit: no interview
Last edited by sarahlawg on Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

awilson11

Bronze

Post by awilson11 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:56 pm

If I haven't gotten the email by now, safe to assume I'm not in this batch of acceptances?

Bumi

Silver

Post by Bumi » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:22 pm

awilson11 wrote:If I haven't gotten the email by now, safe to assume I'm not in this batch of acceptances?
Yes. The dean of admissions tweeted earlier today that they had finished sending out decisions.

http://twitter.com/tweetsbyjohann/statu ... 1603863552

awilson11

Bronze

Post by awilson11 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:39 pm

I saw his tweet, but the still seemed to roll in for a few hours after for people. Has anyone gotten their email after 10-11 am Pacific Time? That's the time for his tweet

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:12 pm

Here's to hoping for more decisions next week... happy weekend!

--ImageRemoved--

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

snldude

New

Post by snldude » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:38 pm

I'm looking for some advice regarding whether I should bother with my Northwestern interview. The thing is, I'm in DC right now and it's LA on Tuesday. Originally, I thought I'd be there by now, but plans have changed. I asked them about moving it to the east coast, but they said it's too late for that.

I ask whether I should bother, because I would seem to be on the edge anyway. I have a 170LSAT, 3.5 gpa, and a PHD. But I submitted late, on December 6th and didn't send any reference letters because I couldn't get that evaluation they wanted in time, and read the directions to mean that I couldn't get that, to send nothing.

So I would seem to already have two strikes against me. I also wouldn't accept the offer if there weren't some financial aid, as I've already gotten into UVA and couldn't take on the extra expense of living in Chicago. Northwestern's older student body does appeal to me though, as I would be in my 30s by the time I start.

So it would be rather inconvenient for me to get to LA earlier that I have scheduled, but I could do it. But if my chances are really low, then I won't bother.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

boushi

Bronze

Post by boushi » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:49 pm

In via email today. 172/3.88, 2+ years of WE, no CPE or additional essays, submitted 10/29 but not complete till 12/6 due to a wait for my interview.

Flustercluck

Bronze

Post by Flustercluck » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:51 pm

boushi wrote:In via email today. 172/3.88, 2+ years of WE, no CPE or additional essays, submitted 10/29 but not complete till 12/6 due to a wait for my interview.
congrats!

boushi

Bronze

Post by boushi » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:53 pm

Flustercluck wrote:
boushi wrote:In via email today. 172/3.88, 2+ years of WE, no CPE or additional essays, submitted 10/29 but not complete till 12/6 due to a wait for my interview.
congrats!
Many thanks!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

boushi

Bronze

Post by boushi » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:00 pm

snldude wrote:I'm looking for some advice regarding whether I should bother with my Northwestern interview. The thing is, I'm in DC right now and it's LA on Tuesday. Originally, I thought I'd be there by now, but plans have changed. I asked them about moving it to the east coast, but they said it's too late for that.

I ask whether I should bother, because I would seem to be on the edge anyway. I have a 170LSAT, 3.5 gpa, and a PHD. But I submitted late, on December 6th and didn't send any reference letters because I couldn't get that evaluation they wanted in time, and read the directions to mean that I couldn't get that, to send nothing.

So I would seem to already have two strikes against me. I also wouldn't accept the offer if there weren't some financial aid, as I've already gotten into UVA and couldn't take on the extra expense of living in Chicago. Northwestern's older student body does appeal to me though, as I would be in my 30s by the time I start.

So it would be rather inconvenient for me to get to LA earlier that I have scheduled, but I could do it. But if my chances are really low, then I won't bother.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!
Honestly, first you should submit your normal recommendations. I think there was some confusion over the new recommendation system, but the dean clarified via his blog that the CPE were not necessary, though the application itself seems to imply they are. I submitted with normal recommendations and was accepted earlier today.

Not sure about whether you'd get in or get money, but I think you should probably still do the interview and at least talk your interviewer. At this point, if you have a chance, it'll probably only be greatly burnished by making that earlier trip and subtly conveying your difficulties and misunderstandings to the interviewer.
Last edited by boushi on Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xtine

Bronze

Post by xtine » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:04 pm

snldude wrote:I'm looking for some advice regarding whether I should bother with my Northwestern interview. The thing is, I'm in DC right now and it's LA on Tuesday. Originally, I thought I'd be there by now, but plans have changed. I asked them about moving it to the east coast, but they said it's too late for that.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!
Unless it's a ridiculous inconvenience, I'd say do it. The interview could push you over the edge to either get in or to get financial aid. If you don't interview and you're not happy with your admissions result then you'll always be left wondering what would have happened if you'd interviewed. That is, unless you think you might not interview well!

vegenator

Bronze

Post by vegenator » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:10 pm

What do you guys think?

Thanks!
Ill be the contrarian here. :mrgreen: I say, if it's that inconvenient don't worry worry about it . Even though they highly recommend the interview, it's not essential (I got in w/out one and without any recommendations/cpe). You've already shown you were at least moderately interested by requesting the interview at your current location. To pay that much for a flight & that big of a hassle for an OPTIONAL interview is ridiculous. Looking at law school numbers from last years cycle it seems BIG, plan-altering money for us 170/169ers is rare anyway...

snldude

New

Post by snldude » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:16 pm

boushi wrote:

What do you guys think?

Thanks!
Honestly, first you should submit your normal recommendations. I think there was some confusion over the new recommendation system, but the dean clarified via his blog that the CPE were not necessary, though the application itself seems to imply they are. I submitted with normal recommendations and was accepted earlier today.

Not sure about whether you'd get in or get money, but I think you should probably still do the interview and at least talk your interviewee. At this point, if you have a chance, it'll probably only be greatly burnished by making that earlier trip and subtly conveying your difficulties and misunderstandings to the interviewer.
These are good points - now I'm leaning towards going. The ref letter thing is frustrating because I had good ones, from professors I've worked with for the past seven years now. How do you send them at this stage? I tried assigning them on LSAC but it seems like they won't send since my app has already been submitted.

I read that NW really cares about the character of the students it admits, so I have to think that without ref letters or an interview, I'd most likely get the shaft.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”