Northwestern 2011 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
florencezx

New

Re: Northwestern 2011 Applicants

Post by florencezx » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:17 pm

has anyone decided to go to its asw? I missed the deadline for applying for reimbursement the tickets are so expensive from DC to Chicago! wondering whether I should go or not... any advice?

sarahlawg

Silver

Post by sarahlawg » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:34 pm

florencezx wrote:has anyone decided to go to its asw? I missed the deadline for applying for reimbursement the tickets are so expensive from DC to Chicago! wondering whether I should go or not... any advice?
I think I'm going to stop by informally after uchi's on Saturday. Have you been to chicago? are you borderline deciding between NU and another school?

florencezx

New

Post by florencezx » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:50 pm

sarahlawg wrote:
florencezx wrote:has anyone decided to go to its asw? I missed the deadline for applying for reimbursement the tickets are so expensive from DC to Chicago! wondering whether I should go or not... any advice?
I think I'm going to stop by informally after uchi's on Saturday. Have you been to chicago? are you borderline deciding between NU and another school?
yeah...I've never been to Chicago before. after attending the other asws I feel like it's necessary to go and visit...have you booked the tickets and hotel? I have no idea whether I should stay in a hotel close to downtown or not.

sarahlawg

Silver

Post by sarahlawg » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:31 pm

florencezx wrote:
sarahlawg wrote:
yeah...I've never been to Chicago before. after attending the other asws I feel like it's necessary to go and visit...have you booked the tickets and hotel? I have no idea whether I should stay in a hotel close to downtown or not.
I have my ticket. I'm staying with a UChi student. Maybe you could go to the NU 1L and 2L threads and see if any of the students would be willing to host you? A hotel is going to be $$$ the UChi rate for ASW was like a ridiculous $225...

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:41 am

I'll be there, though I am deferred to 2012. I figure if I have to pay 3 seat deposits, I should get to go to 2 ASWs. :)

Bought my plane ticket about 3 weeks ago and it's costing me $450 to fly Portland-Chicago. Gak.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

apple1234

New

Post by apple1234 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:52 am

Any idea when held applicants can expect to hear back?

MillerTime

Bronze

Post by MillerTime » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:46 am

apple1234 wrote:Any idea when held applicants can expect to hear back?
Somebody in the admissions office said that they hope to get all the decisions out for held applicants by the end of April.

thelaststraw05

Silver

Post by thelaststraw05 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:50 am

Just withdrew my application this morning. I hope my seat goes to one of you who was held or waitlisted!

waitlisteddd

New

Post by waitlisteddd » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:05 pm

just got waitlisted, despite the fact that I withdrew my app a month ago...

okkkk.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

iwanta170

Bronze

Post by iwanta170 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:10 pm

evandm wrote:
Somebody in the admissions office said that they hope to get all the decisions out for held applicants by the end of April.
I was under the impression that Northwestern didn't look at held applicants until after their seat deposit deadline (April 29). I was going to wait until then to send in any additional materials. Am I mistaken?

descartesb4thehorse

Silver

Post by descartesb4thehorse » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:14 pm

iwanta170 wrote:
evandm wrote:
I was under the impression that Northwestern didn't look at held applicants until after their seat deposit deadline (April 29). I was going to wait until then to send in any additional materials. Am I mistaken?
If you're talking about the Candidate Hold Form, that was due today. I assumed the other materials - held applicant essays, LOCIs, LORs, etc. - were also due today. I think they reserve the right to review your file at any time, so I'd get it in sooner rather than later.

betsyclaire

New

Post by betsyclaire » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:42 pm

sarahlawg wrote:
florencezx wrote:
sarahlawg wrote:
I have my ticket. I'm staying with a UChi student. Maybe you could go to the NU 1L and 2L threads and see if any of the students would be willing to host you? A hotel is going to be $$$ the UChi rate for ASW was like a ridiculous $225...
I used Priceline a few days ago to get a hotel room. I put in $80 and ended up getting a really nice room in at a Hilton in the Loop. It's about a 20 minute walk from the school, so it should be easy enough to get there. Looking forward to meeting everyone and making my final decision!

Magnolia

Silver

Post by Magnolia » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:52 pm

betsyclaire wrote:
sarahlawg wrote:
florencezx wrote:yeah...I've never been to Chicago before. after attending the other asws I feel like it's necessary to go and visit...have you booked the tickets and hotel? I have no idea whether I should stay in a hotel close to downtown or not.
I used Priceline a few days ago to get a hotel room. I put in $80 and ended up getting a really nice room in at a Hilton in the Loop. It's about a 20 minute walk from the school, so it should be easy enough to get there. Looking forward to meeting everyone and making my final decision!
I used Priceline to book maybe 4 days in advance and got a nice hotel right on the river for $90/night. It was about a 30 minute walk to campus today, but not too bad. Very nice area.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

er doctor

Bronze

Post by er doctor » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:48 pm

I used Priceline a few days ago to get a hotel room. I put in $80 and ended up getting a really nice room in at a Hilton in the Loop. It's about a 20 minute walk from the school, so it should be easy enough to get there. Looking forward to meeting everyone and making my final decision![/quote]

As a Chicago resident just let me put my 2 cents in. It might be ridiculously beautiful next weekend or it might be 20 degrees and snowing. From the Hilton (if you're in the loop I assume the Hilton Towers) it is a 5 minute ride on the red line up to the Chicago station then a quick walk over.

Look forward to seeing you there!

neonx

Silver

Post by neonx » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:54 pm

Out of funds? Out of sight.

ArghItsBlarg

Bronze

Post by ArghItsBlarg » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:03 pm

Definitely coming to ASW this weekend. Are we doing any kind of meetup? Secret Handshake?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:32 pm

ArghItsBlarg wrote:Definitely coming to ASW this weekend. Are we doing any kind of meetup? Secret Handshake?
I'll be the somewhat tall chick with curly hair (at the moment), probably dressed like I'm about to go hiking.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ArghItsBlarg

Bronze

Post by ArghItsBlarg » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:00 pm

Girls? On the internet? Scandalous!

whathojeeves

Bronze

Post by whathojeeves » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:04 pm

ArghItsBlarg wrote:Girls? On the internet? Scandalous!
From here it is only a few short steps until women will be wearing trousers. Appalling.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:22 pm

whathojeeves wrote:
From here it is only a few short steps until women will be wearing trousers. Appalling.
Wait 'til the fellas see me operate a motorcar!

er doctor

Bronze

Post by er doctor » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:47 pm

whathojeeves wrote:
And getting *gasp* law degrees!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Bumi

Silver

Post by Bumi » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:56 pm

er doctor wrote:
whathojeeves wrote:
Thank god we don't let them vote.

On a serious note, have you SEEN the GT thread? It went from 0 to 1000 pages in like three months. I'd bet a majority of the posts on TLS are from women, with that thread making up a hefty portion.

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:29 am

Bumi wrote:
er doctor wrote:
whathojeeves wrote:
Thank god we don't let them vote.

On a serious note, have you SEEN the GT thread? It went from 0 to 1000 pages in like three months. I'd bet a majority of the posts on TLS are from women, with that thread making up a hefty portion.
I spend a significant portion of my time killing in GT and, despite my effete mannerisms, I'm a dood...

sgtgrumbles

Silver

Post by sgtgrumbles » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:25 am

Has anyone had success negotiating a larger award amount from NU? If so, how long did it take them to respond to your initial inquiry?

er doctor

Bronze

Post by er doctor » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:40 am

sgtgrumbles wrote:Has anyone had success negotiating a larger award amount from NU? If so, how long did it take them to respond to your initial inquiry?
I sent in a negotiation letter to Jill Decremer and she said she would forward it to the scholarship committee. This was, however, just before she went on maternity leave. It's been almost two weeks and no further response.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”