Temple 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
philswfc2008

Re: Temple 2011

Postby philswfc2008 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:10 am

manbearwig wrote:Hey all,
I'm currently a 1L at Temple. I'm somewhat bored, so I was wondering if anyone had any questions. I haven't read through the whole thread (33 pages. :shock:) so I don't know if there are any burning questions anyone has.
:D

Two questions:

- Do you have any concerns re: safety at night? I've been there before, both during the day and nighttime, and I also live in Philadelphia, so I am familiar with the campus (I know the surrounding area is not-so-nice, but the campus is well-lit, etc.). My only concern is if, say, I study at the library or go to the gym late at night, and I have to take the subway back home. What is your take on all of this?

philswfc2008

Postby philswfc2008 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:11 am

Oh, forgot second question: What is the friendliness/atmosphere like with the student body? Do students spend a lot of their (free) time with each other? I've heard a few random things, such as Temple Law students are older, many with families, and that, since everyone commutes, that there is not really a tight-knit community. Is that the case?

manbearwig

Postby manbearwig » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:55 pm

Sure, what was your final deciding factor to choose Temple over other schools?

Two main things for me. They gave me a full scholarship and I want to stay in Philly after I graduate. I got into “better” schools (BU, BC, GW, W&M) but I realized that Temple would be the best to help me find a job in Philly, with its rep and connections here. Also, it would have been really hard to turn down all of that money. After being here for 1.5 semesters, if I had to make the decision minus any money, I think I might have made the same. Tuition for in-state is still crazy cheap, and it’s a great school if you want to stay in the area.

What's it like living in Philly?

I love Philly so much. It’s just so accessible. I live in Center City, and there is just so much to do. So many bars, restaurants, museums, parks, stores. And the best is that you can walk everywhere in Center City. For school, I just hop on the Broad St. line, and it’s super easy. Center City is also pretty safe, especially if you stay in the areas with night life. There are always cars driving around.
(I’m originally from the burbs outside the city, but before this year, I didn’t visit too much.)

Do you have any concerns re: safety at night? I've been there before, both during the day and nighttime, and I also live in Philadelphia, so I am familiar with the campus (I know the surrounding area is not-so-nice, but the campus is well-lit, etc.). My only concern is if, say, I study at the library or go to the gym late at night, and I have to take the subway back home. What is your take on all of this?

I don’t think I’ve actually been on campus past 6 or so. However, I know people who stay in the library till midnight. As a female, I definitely wouldn’t feel safe taking the subway back home alone past 7:00/8:00 or so. If I had to, I would definitely take the C bus home or a cab or something like that. There are some guys that walk home at night. I think most of the people I know who stay late take regional trains home or drive to campus. If you don't have a car, you could probably find friends who do, or find people who also live in center city to travel home with.
(Or you could be one of the few who just basically live in the library. I learned there's apparently a shower in the girl's bathroom on the fifth floor because someone I know used it last semester during finals.)

What is the friendliness/atmosphere like with the student body? Do students spend a lot of their (free) time with each other? I've heard a few random things, such as Temple Law students are older, many with families, and that, since everyone commutes, that there is not really a tight-knit community. Is that the case?

In my section, only two people have kids, and only four more who are just married. I’d say the average age in my section is around 24-25, so people are still pretty young without families of their own. There is definitely a friendly atmosphere, and people definitely hang out after school together. It is somewhat clique-y, but that’s just because some people are more into bars/clubs/parties and some people would rather just chill. And there is overlap within the groups. I think people are competitive, but it’s more internal. Almost everyone is willing to help out others. You can always get notes from people if you miss class, and almost everyone found a study group.

dcbound

Postby dcbound » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:41 pm

Withdrew yesterday. Hopefully it opens up a $90,000 scholly for one of you :wink:

deltasigbn

Postby deltasigbn » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:19 pm

What time does the open house start tomorrow?

philswfc2008

Postby philswfc2008 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:10 pm

deltasigbn wrote:What time does the open house start tomorrow?

I think registration is from 8:30-9:00, or 8:30-9:30, forget which without looking. It's on Temple's Admitted Students page. I plan to be there around 9, can't wait!

2things2

Postby 2things2 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:20 pm

well.... what'd everyone think of admitted students day?

Mr_Brightside

Postby Mr_Brightside » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:30 pm

2things2 wrote:well.... what'd everyone think of admitted students day?

+1 I am also curious. Also, if anybody has any pics

rs2004

Postby rs2004 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:34 pm

i liked dean epps and what she had to say, esp when she recognized that the legal profession itself is changing. I liked Assistant Dean Lennon's enthusiasm about having an active career office. funny bc a 3L from the student panel section said more or less that alumni connections helped him but not others. i thought they were doing some hard selling with the trial advocacy but overall this admitted students day was really informative.

Evrydyhonestliar

Postby Evrydyhonestliar » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:08 pm

I loved it! I liked the enthusiasm of all the faculty, and the students were honest when answering questions. I'm more interested in transactional law, and they have some great new programs to teach more toward that as well. I also liked my free water bottle! haha I'm putting in my deposit soon!

philswfc2008

Postby philswfc2008 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:56 am

I really liked it! I had a really good time talking to Temple staff, current Temple students, and fellow prospective students! The atmosphere was really friendly, the presentations were really informative, and I really enjoyed walking around campus and the different buildings...I'm not 100% yet where I am going, but this definitely is a strong push towards Temple

2things2

Postby 2things2 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:45 am

Dean Epps was incredibly helpful, and she was much more personable than I had expected. It made me feel much more comfortable about choosing a school like Temple, and relieved my stress quite a bit about this whole process. Still unsure of where the hell I'll be in the fall, but yesterday's session made me much more OK with choosing Temple in the end.

akcorps

Postby akcorps » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:34 pm

Complete since 2/7 and still nothing. Fordham has accepted me, given me aid, etc. already. This is ridiculous. I love you Philly, but I think its time we talked about this slow ass admissions process happening on North Broad.

jjlaw

Postby jjlaw » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:06 pm

Has anyone heard about need-based grants yet?

jthomas

Postby jthomas » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:58 pm

From what I took away from ASW, the need based grants are called TUG (temple university grant) and you find out about that when you receive your entire financial aid package. If you have received any merit aid you are ineligible for any need based aid.

rs2004

Postby rs2004 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:59 pm

jthomas wrote:

From what I took away from ASW, the need based grants are called TUG (temple university grant) and you find out about that when you receive your entire financial aid package. If you have received any merit aid you are ineligible for any need based aid.

why the ineligibility?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:00 pm

rs2004 wrote:
jthomas wrote:

why the ineligibility?

Most schools do this so they don't accidentally hand out too much aid to you.

manbearwig

Postby manbearwig » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:09 pm

akcorps wrote:Complete since 2/7 and still nothing. Fordham has accepted me, given me aid, etc. already. This is ridiculous. I love you Philly, but I think its time we talked about this slow ass admissions process happening on North Broad.

Last year, Temple took forever in admitting me. I forget when I heard, but it was a long ass time. When I finally got my acceptance letter, it came with a letter giving me a full scholarship as well, so be patient. :D

LSATclincher

Postby LSATclincher » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:39 pm

jjlaw wrote:Has anyone heard about need-based grants yet?

I got my packet, and I received about $1,600 for this academic year. It's labeled as "Temple University Grant." Considering I'm in-state, any grant/scholarship money is a bonus. They do mention in the packet that it is a "preliminary" award, so maybe I can negotiate that figure.

If you receive any aid, please PM me. I'm curious to see if they offer the same grant amount to everyone who qualifies.

2things2

Postby 2things2 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:53 pm

I love Philadelphia, but I'm worried about the mobility of a Temple J.D.. I mean it is so well respected in Philly and the surrounding area, but I'm not exactly married to working in Philly for the next 30 years. Anyone have any advice? Am I wrong?

Mr_Brightside

Postby Mr_Brightside » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:01 pm

2things2 wrote:I love Philadelphia, but I'm worried about the mobility of a Temple J.D.. I mean it is so well respected in Philly and the surrounding area, but I'm not exactly married to working in Philly for the next 30 years. Anyone have any advice? Am I wrong?

Google some of the top firms in the philly area, go to their websites, and you'll find pages of Temple alumni attorney profiles. If you do the same for, say, top law firms in other major cities (Denver, Seattle, Chicago, Houston, etc.), you'll get a good idea of how far the Temple name will travel. The farther from Philly, the less and less well known the Temple brand is known/respected. As you said, for Philly, it's golden. But outside PA/NJ/DE/MD (and to a lesser extent, NY), you'll have more trouble. Not impossible, but difficult.

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:03 pm

LSATclincher wrote:
jjlaw wrote:Has anyone heard about need-based grants yet?

I got my packet, and I received about $1,600 for this academic year. It's labeled as "Temple University Grant." Considering I'm in-state, any grant/scholarship money is a bonus. They do mention in the packet that it is a "preliminary" award, so maybe I can negotiate that figure.

If you receive any aid, please PM me. I'm curious to see if they offer the same grant amount to everyone who qualifies.

When did you get this notification?

manbearwig

Postby manbearwig » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:04 pm

2things2 wrote:I love Philadelphia, but I'm worried about the mobility of a Temple J.D.. I mean it is so well respected in Philly and the surrounding area, but I'm not exactly married to working in Philly for the next 30 years. Anyone have any advice? Am I wrong?

Where else are you looking? Unless you're looking at T14, you're gonna have to work for it if you want mobility. If you want to leave the area, don't expect your Temple degree to get you much. Go to a school where you want to stay. If you don't know yet, retake the LSAT and go to Yale, take time off to make that decision, or go to a regional school realizing that you may just be stuck.

rs2004

Postby rs2004 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:20 am

got a reply from temple on my reconsideration email. basically a polite no.

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:26 am

rs2004 wrote:got a reply from temple on my reconsideration email. basically a polite no.

Whom did you email?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”