Temple 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Section141

Re: Temple 2011

Postby Section141 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:20 pm

JDHopeful wrote:
Section141 wrote:I don't mind, 162 and 3.6. Not expecting anything since I'm in-state, but you never know.

Yea, I'm 161; 3.6... still waiting. I'm likewise instate.

Your chances are good then, I was complete in October so I heard in the first round of responses. I'd guess they start sending out more decisions on a regular basis now.

LegallyBlonde923

Postby LegallyBlonde923 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:56 pm

Section141 wrote:Newbie here, accepted via status checker on 12/19. Anyone know when acceptance packets might go out and if they'd have scholarship info included?

Last year they went out fairly soon after acceptances and the email I got said "after the new year" so I'm assuming this week or next. Scholly info is included.

JDHopeful

Postby JDHopeful » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:01 pm

LegallyBlonde923 wrote:
Section141 wrote:Newbie here, accepted via status checker on 12/19. Anyone know when acceptance packets might go out and if they'd have scholarship info included?

Last year they went out fairly soon after acceptances and the email I got said "after the new year" so I'm assuming this week or next. Scholly info is included.

Hey, if you got in, would you mind disclosing your numbers? Just for my piece of mind? Thanks!

JDHopeful

Postby JDHopeful » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:03 pm

JDHopeful wrote:
LegallyBlonde923 wrote:

Hey, if you got in, would you mind disclosing your numbers? Just for my piece of mind? Thanks!

Scratch that; in your profile, no need thanks.

Section141

Postby Section141 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:03 pm

LegallyBlonde923 wrote:

Thanks for the info. I got that same e-mail, just wasn't sure if they'd include any scholly info in that acceptance packet. It's the 3rd and I'm checking my mail hoping its there...patience isn't a strength for me. Although I feel for all who haven't heard back yet.

LegallyBlonde923

Postby LegallyBlonde923 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:21 pm

Section141 wrote:
LegallyBlonde923 wrote:

Thanks for the info. I got that same e-mail, just wasn't sure if they'd include any scholly info in that acceptance packet. It's the 3rd and I'm checking my mail hoping its there...patience isn't a strength for me. Although I feel for all who haven't heard back yet.

I live 4 blocks from the law school, so when I get something I'll post !

TJISMYHERO

Postby TJISMYHERO » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:33 pm

I'm not going to start obsessively checking my mailbox for the packet until next week. Hopefully I am surprised this week, but I'm not realistically expecting them to get packets out till the end of this week.

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:38 pm

I'm quickly losing interest in Temple.

I feel slighted by this wait time. :?

hurricane10

Postby hurricane10 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:53 pm

kk19131 wrote:I'm quickly losing interest in Temple.

likewise..I've been complete since 11/2 and have Temple numbers I think. Ill give them a couple more weeks before giving up but im starting to visit schools at the end of the month and am really hoping to make an early decision. I'd be more pissed though if i didn't have a fee waiver.

aidez-moi

Postby aidez-moi » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:17 pm

hurricane10 wrote:
kk19131 wrote:I'm quickly losing interest in Temple.

likewise..I've been complete since 11/2 and have Temple numbers I think. Ill give them a couple more weeks before giving up but im starting to visit schools at the end of the month and am really hoping to make an early decision. I'd be more pissed though if i didn't have a fee waiver.

I went complete just a few days after you, and I was just accepted last week.

Based on that, I'd think that you and those that went complete around you will be hearing soon. But then again I have nothing to back that up except my personal experience...

good luck!

aidez-moi

Postby aidez-moi » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:25 pm

LegallyBlonde923 wrote:
aidez-moi wrote:Quick question: I'm assuming Temple is similar to most other public schools in that once you establish residency it is possible to pay in-state tuition for 2/3L?

+ happy 2011!

if you scroll back through this thread to a few days ago, a bunch of people talked about in state tutition for 2 and 3L :)

thanks.

TJISMYHERO

Postby TJISMYHERO » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:22 pm

aidez-moi wrote:
LegallyBlonde923 wrote:
aidez-moi wrote:Quick question: I'm assuming Temple is similar to most other public schools in that once you establish residency it is possible to pay in-state tuition for 2/3L?

+ happy 2011!

if you scroll back through this thread to a few days ago, a bunch of people talked about in state tutition for 2 and 3L :)

thanks.

I'm pretty sure that whatever classification you're originally assigned with, whether it be in-state or out of state, you're stuck with it while in school in PA, regardless of whether or not you gain residency. There are people talking about it on the temple 2010 page, and I remember reading something to this effect on a PA gov website.

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:30 pm

"RESIDENCY, PENNSYLVANIA STATE, - Students should contact the Academic Records Office in Conwell Hall, (215) 204-1131, for guidelines and application forms to establish permanent Pennsylvania residency which, if granted, would allow them to be charged the in-state tuition rate."

http://www.law.temple.edu/pages/Current_Students/WiseGuide_Useful_Links.aspx#residency

TJISMYHERO

Postby TJISMYHERO » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:49 pm

"The documentation should show clear and convincing evidence that the student's domicile is in Pennsylvania, and that her/his presence in the Commonwealth is not primarily for educational purposes." http://www.temple.edu/registrar/documents/faqs/admission.asp

I assume it would be possible to argue that since Temple is a regional school that we would, almost without question, be staying in PA after graduation.

aidez-moi

Postby aidez-moi » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:47 pm

Yeah, that's why I was confused. The "bunch of posts" legallyblonde referenced was one post by her (at least, I'd hope with that name it's a her) about a friend who was UG at Temple and thus had been there for years..

At least, that's what I got out of it. Legallyblonde, if you have any more info, please share!

buckyj420

Postby buckyj420 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:32 pm

I put the question of future residency to Lori A. Daniels, Temple University Assistant Registrar, the only response she gave was the following:

"Please visit our website at http://www.temple.edu/registrar/students/registration/residency/, there you will find a copy of the guidelines and application."

(I am considering part-time so I was hoping moving early and working full-time would make me eligible for instate tuition, not sure that it will. It seems very difficult to get instate tuition after the fact)

aidez-moi

Postby aidez-moi » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:34 pm

buckyj420 wrote:I put the question of future residency to Lori A. Daniels, Temple University Assistant Registrar, the only response she gave was the following:

"Please visit our website at http://www.temple.edu/registrar/students/registration/residency/, there you will find a copy of the guidelines and application."

(I am considering part-time so I was hoping moving early and working full-time would make me eligible for instate tuition, not sure that it will. It seems very difficult to get instate tuition after the fact)

I checked out that website, and they list "some or all of the factors" required to be considered for PA residency:

http://www.temple.edu/registrar/students/registration/residency/ wrote:1) Lease or purchase of a permanent, independent residence in Pennsylvania
2) Payment of applicable state and local taxes and the filing of appropriate returns for such taxes
3) Transfer of bank accounts, stock, automobile and other registered property to Pennsylvania
4) A Pennsylvania driver's license
5) Registration to vote in Pennsylvania
6) Acceptance of an offer of permanent full-time employment in Pennsylvania upon graduation
7) Continuous presence in Pennsylvania during significant periods while not enrolled as a student
8| Membership in Pennsylvania, social, athletic, civic, political and/or religious organizations
9) Affidavit of intention to reside permanently in Pennsylvania after completion of coursework
10) For minors or students claiming independence, evidence that the student is not a dependent. Such evidence may include copies of the tax returns of the student and/or his/her parent(s) or legal guardian(s) or sworn statements from the parent(s) or legal guardian(s) setting forth facts which establish the student's financial independence and separate residence.

And from the website it seems they have a process one can follow to challenge residency. So it seems like it might be possible if you follow most/all of the procedures listed above. It does say, however, that if you switch residencies then you lose any financial aid/scholarships that might have been tied to maintaining an out of state residency..

^ I may or may not be completely wrong, however.

TJISMYHERO

Postby TJISMYHERO » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:35 pm

aidez-moi wrote:
buckyj420 wrote:I put the question of future residency to Lori A. Daniels, Temple University Assistant Registrar, the only response she gave was the following:

I checked out that website, and they list "some or all of the factors" required to be considered for PA residency:

http://www.temple.edu/registrar/students/registration/residency/ wrote:1) Lease or purchase of a permanent, independent residence in Pennsylvania
2) Payment of applicable state and local taxes and the filing of appropriate returns for such taxes
3) Transfer of bank accounts, stock, automobile and other registered property to Pennsylvania
4) A Pennsylvania driver's license
5) Registration to vote in Pennsylvania
6) Acceptance of an offer of permanent full-time employment in Pennsylvania upon graduation
7) Continuous presence in Pennsylvania during significant periods while not enrolled as a student
8| Membership in Pennsylvania, social, athletic, civic, political and/or religious organizations
9) Affidavit of intention to reside permanently in Pennsylvania after completion of coursework
10) For minors or students claiming independence, evidence that the student is not a dependent. Such evidence may include copies of the tax returns of the student and/or his/her parent(s) or legal guardian(s) or sworn statements from the parent(s) or legal guardian(s) setting forth facts which establish the student's financial independence and separate residence.

And from the website it seems they have a process one can follow to challenge residency. So it seems like it might be possible if you follow most/all of the procedures listed above. It does say, however, that if you switch residencies then you lose any financial aid/scholarships that might have been tied to maintaining an out of state residency..

^ I may or may not be completely wrong, however.

"#6 Is it possible to be a legal resident of Pennsylvania and still be a non-resident for tuition purposes at Temple University?

A: Yes. While you may meet the requirements to become a registered voter or a licensed driver in Pennsylvania, you still may not qualify for residency for tuition purposes."

http://www.temple.edu/registrar/documents/faqs/admission.asp

I'm not sure what this means in regard to residency establishing in-state tuition. But it seems to run contradictory to:

kk19131 wrote:"RESIDENCY, PENNSYLVANIA STATE, - Students should contact the Academic Records Office in Conwell Hall, (215) 204-1131, for guidelines and application forms to establish permanent Pennsylvania residency which, if granted, would allow them to be charged the in-state tuition rate."

http://www.law.temple.edu/pages/Current_Students/WiseGuide_Useful_Links.aspx#residency

aidez-moi

Postby aidez-moi » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:49 pm

TJISMYHERO wrote:#6 Is it possible to be a legal resident of Pennsylvania and still be a non-resident for tuition purposes at Temple University?

A: Yes. While you may meet the requirements to become a registered voter or a licensed driver in Pennsylvania, you still may not qualify for residency for tuition purposes."

It's confusing because the website is the same for UG as it is for the law school. They mentioned somewhere that when you turn 22 you become independent and thus judged on a different criteria. It would kind of make sense for the question you found above to apply to undergraduates who are still dependent on their parents of another state...? Maybe that's wishful thinking on my part..

TJISMYHERO

Postby TJISMYHERO » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:56 pm

aidez-moi wrote:It's confusing

+1

smartblonde87

Postby smartblonde87 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:13 pm

tag :)

kjadkins

Postby kjadkins » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:53 pm

smartblonde87 wrote:tag :)

Oh hai applications twin :)

you just tagged like 1/3 of the threads for places I've applied. Haha.

buckyj420

Postby buckyj420 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:33 pm

Emailed Johanne Johnston, Assistant Dean for Admissions & Financial Aid, about residency here is her reply:

"We base the initial determination of an applicant's residency status on the state of permanent residence they provide on both their application and the CAS report we receive from LSAC. If both of those indicate that the applicant is a PA resident then there is no problem. If however, that is not the case, then the applicant will be classified as a non-resident. The general rule is that you must have lived in PA for at least one year without going to school to be classified as a PA resident for tuition purposes. Otherwise the presumption is that you came to the state to attend school and will return to your home state when you graduate. Although it can be difficult to do, you can overcome the presumption if you can show that you came to PA for reasons other than attending school or if you can prove your intention to remain in PA when you graduate."

So it sounds possible just difficult, could always form an LLC, that would probably show a strong intent to stay.
Last edited by buckyj420 on Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:36 pm

"or if you can prove your intention to remain in PA when you graduate."

... how many Temple grads actually leave PA after they graduate? :?

TJISMYHERO

Postby TJISMYHERO » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:47 pm

kk19131 wrote:"or if you can prove your intention to remain in PA when you graduate."

... how many Temple grads actually leave PA after they graduate? :?

exactly

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”