Temple 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
thwalls

Re: Temple 2011

Postby thwalls » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:36 pm

r6_philly wrote:
thwalls wrote:
johnnyutah wrote:
thwalls wrote:Thankfully, the snobby Penn kids stay on their side of the city...

Awww, we're not all bad, and some of us even come up to the Temple stop on the orange line from time to time :oops: :oops:

Hey, if they weren't too good for a PT program I would have applied. However, I had to work, and I had to stay in Philly. My options were Temple or Rutgers. I preferred to not risk getting stabbed in the face and/or shot. So I took Temple with the scholly.

I live in Manayunk and work at 16th and Market, the fact that Temple is on both the Orange line and the Norristown line is awesome. For me, Temple worked out perfectly.

So they do give out scholly for PT? How much if you don't mind me asking?

I was considered in-state and got $15,000. It's really not all that much, but I've heard that Temple is usually stingy. However, considering that I'm instate my total financial burden is around $40,000 total. You can't beat Temple's value if you're a PA resident.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:43 pm

thwalls wrote:I was considered in-state and got $15,000. It's really not all that much, but I've heard that Temple is usually stingy. However, considering that I'm instate my total financial burden is around $40,000 total. You can't beat Temple's value if you're a PA resident.

If I could do it all over again (and I was a PA resident), I'd take Temple over Penn in a heartbeat.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:48 pm

johnnyutah wrote:
thwalls wrote:I was considered in-state and got $15,000. It's really not all that much, but I've heard that Temple is usually stingy. However, considering that I'm instate my total financial burden is around $40,000 total. You can't beat Temple's value if you're a PA resident.

If I could do it all over again (and I was a PA resident), I'd take Temple over Penn in a heartbeat.

Still no luck job hunting?

ETA: I have classmates right now who are Temple grads, they like Temple. But seeing I make more than they do now, I don't know unless it's free. But shouldn't be hard since I am a PA resident. Do the give enough to cover instate fees?

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:52 pm

r6_philly wrote:
johnnyutah wrote:

Still no luck job hunting?

Not in Philly. I've got solid prospects for backup plan jobs back home, though. If I have to work at home for a bit, I'll come back to Philly in a year or two when things improve, but for the time being I'm still pissed I paid 130k to not get anything in my school's own town.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:53 pm

johnnyutah wrote:Not in Philly. I've got solid prospects for backup plan jobs back home, though. If I have to work at home for a bit, I'll come back to Philly in a year or two when things improve, but for the time being I'm still pissed I paid 130k to not get anything in my school's own town.

That really sucks. I know we talked about this before, is it because of a lack of positions or is it more or less class rank related (I don't mean any offense what so ever, just curious). I can't imagine you can't find anything out of Penn, then what happens to the Temple grads?

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:05 pm

r6_philly wrote:
johnnyutah wrote:Not in Philly. I've got solid prospects for backup plan jobs back home, though. If I have to work at home for a bit, I'll come back to Philly in a year or two when things improve, but for the time being I'm still pissed I paid 130k to not get anything in my school's own town.

That really sucks. I know we talked about this before, is it because of a lack of positions or is it more or less class rank related (I don't mean any offense what so ever, just curious). I can't imagine you can't find anything out of Penn, then what happens to the Temple grads?

I don't think it's class rank related. Penn doesn't keep class ranks, but my GPA is slightly above median, so I assume my class rank would be the same. I'm not on a journal (my choice), but I did moot court and a clinic instead, so I doubt it's that.

Honestly, I think it's a combination of things. Class of 2011 just got epically fucked at OCI (I'm far from the only 3L who has no job), and, outside OCI, I've been learning that legal hiring is like 70% connections and 30% stuff like school rank and grades. I definitely neglected to build connections during my first two years of law school, which is killing me now; I just don't have anyone to shop my resume around to their friends or advise me about where to look. I've been trying to pound pavement and build those connections this past semester, but it's a little late.

In sum, I think it's a combination of timing (2011 being the Lost Class, as the Dean of Students calls it) and my own shortsightedness in not getting plugged in to the legal community early enough.

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:07 pm

How in the world do you build connections in law school anyway? Aren't you busy... studying? Unless you mean the summers, in which case, that creates a very limited network.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:10 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:How in the world do you build connections in law school anyway? Aren't you busy... studying? Unless you mean the summers, in which case, that creates a very limited network.

You write e-mails to attorneys who do work in the area you're interested in asking them if they'd be willing to meet with you to discuss their practice and give you advice. You keep a book full of the contact information of every attorney you meet, and you invite each of them out of coffee once every three months to maintain the relationship.

Then, when 3L rolls around, you have a safety net of attorneys to catch you if you stumble at OCI :mrgreen:

It is worth sacrificing some study time to do this, IMO, unless you are at the top of the class or can reasonably expect to be at the top.

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:12 pm

johnnyutah wrote:
Gemini Hopeful wrote:How in the world do you build connections in law school anyway? Aren't you busy... studying? Unless you mean the summers, in which case, that creates a very limited network.

You write e-mails to attorneys who do work in the area you're interested in asking them if they'd be willing to meet with you to discuss their practice and give you advice. You keep a book full of the contact information of every attorney you meet, and you invite each of them out of coffee once every three months to maintain the relationship.

Then, when 3L rolls around, you have a safety net of attorneys to catch you if you stumble at OCI :mrgreen:

It is worth sacrificing some study time to do this, IMO, unless you are at the top of the class or can reasonably expect to be at the top.

Ugh. The only part of law school I wouldn't look forward to then. I did that for a lawyer once. It's all a bunch of ass kissing.

thwalls

Postby thwalls » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:15 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:
johnnyutah wrote:

Ugh. The only part of law school I wouldn't look forward to then. I did that for a lawyer once. It's all a bunch of ass kissing.

Ass Kissing = Networking.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:18 pm

thwalls wrote:Ass Kissing = Networking.

TITCR. It isn't so bad when you turn it into a game and remember to laugh on the inside.

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:20 pm

I understand. Doesn't mean I have to like it, lol. How much money is wasted on "treating lawyers to lunch" or coffee.... lots, I'm sure.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:22 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:Ugh. The only part of law school I wouldn't look forward to then. I did that for a lawyer once. It's all a bunch of ass kissing.

Yeah, it's totally disgusting, and I resisted it for a really long time. Eventually I broke down when someone I know from a much less highly regarded school with much worse grades got an interview at a firm that I didn't all because of networking. Unfortunately, the legal world is very much an old boy's (and girl's) network, and reputation and word of mouth mean even more than they do in other professions. It feels slimy, but you gotta do the ass kissing (or else get top 10% to guarantee results at OCI).

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:22 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:I understand. Doesn't mean I have to like it, lol. How much money is wasted on "treating lawyers to lunch" or coffee.... lots, I'm sure.

I doubt most lawyers would expect law students to pay for their lunch. Am I right?

(I hope I'm Right) :oops:

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:23 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:How much money is wasted on "treating lawyers to lunch" or coffee.... lots, I'm sure.

Actually, in my experience, attorneys are more likely to buy you lunch. They know you're broke. I think the only attorney I bought lunch for was one I was trying to sleep with :oops: :oops:

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:27 pm

johnnyutah wrote:
Gemini Hopeful wrote:How much money is wasted on "treating lawyers to lunch" or coffee.... lots, I'm sure.

Actually, in my experience, attorneys are more likely to buy you lunch.

That's what I figured.

I think the only attorney I bought lunch for was one I was trying to sleep with :oops: :oops:

I take it from the emoticons that this was not a successful endeavor?

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:28 pm

Don't mix business with pleasure. :roll:

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:29 pm

HeavenWood wrote:I take it from the emoticons that this was not a successful endeavor?

A gentleman does not kiss and tell.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:29 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:Don't mix business with pleasure. :roll:

Oh, there was no business involved :P

aidez-moi

Postby aidez-moi » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:02 pm

Interestingly enough my online status check just updated to complete again today. 12/29. I'm pretty sure they're not even there...?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:33 pm

There so many ways to network/socialize/build connections at Penn, but you just have to take advantage of it. Also some people are more shameless self-promoters than others :mrgreen:

I seek out every single social/networking event that someone who may potentially gives me a lead in anything and attend. I carry business cards and I tell everyone about me and what I am good at. Yes it can sound obnoxious to the bystander, but I get job referrals all the time from associates because everyone remembers me and what I am good at.

The power of networking is that if someone who knows you is or has something to do with hiring, you may pass the initial screening easily, more so than your class rank/transcript/resume can. You still have to interview well and be likable but you always get lead into the door instead of having to open the door yourself.

I think a lot of law students without long WE don't realize this. Knowing someone can land me resume at the top of the pile, which is priceless.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:36 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:Don't mix business with pleasure. :roll:

A very large percentage of corporate business is done over pleasurable activities.

ran12

Postby ran12 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:37 pm

r6_philly wrote:

There so many ways to network/socialize/build connections at Penn, but you just have to take advantage of it. Also some people are more shameless self-promoters than others :mrgreen:

I seek out every single social/networking event that someone who may potentially gives me a lead in anything and attend. I carry business cards and I tell everyone about me and what I am good at. Yes it can sound obnoxious to the bystander, but I get job referrals all the time from associates because everyone remembers me and what I am good at.

The power of networking is that if someone who knows you is or has something to do with hiring, you may pass the initial screening easily, more so than your class rank/transcript/resume can. You still have to interview well and be likable but you always get lead into the door instead of having to open the door yourself.

I think a lot of law students without long WE don't realize this. Knowing someone can land me resume at the top of the pile, which is priceless.

This is spot on. Networking is how you get jobs, not just grades. Most people with good grades and extracurriculars who submit resumes don't even get chosen for an interview. There are so many applicants that recruiters can't possibly go through each resume so a good word by someone at the firm really helps put you in the door to have a shot.

McNulty

Postby McNulty » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:41 pm

Got in today via e-mail, states that they will be "sending out the acceptance packets in the new year".

derrminater

Postby derrminater » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:44 pm

McNulty wrote:Got in today via e-mail, states that they will be "sending out the acceptance packets in the new year".

What time/when did you go complete, etc.?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”