Temple 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Justathought

Re: Temple 2011

Postby Justathought » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:49 pm

x7227 wrote:
Make sure to join the Facebook group as there are several meet and greets being planned including one on the 15th.

I make it my business to decipher who's a TLSer. My latest post proclaims my intended beach bum status, in case you hadn't figured out who I am yet. :wink:

x7227

Postby x7227 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:55 pm

Justathought wrote:
x7227 wrote:
Make sure to join the Facebook group as there are several meet and greets being planned including one on the 15th.

I make it my business to decipher who's a TLSer. My latest post proclaims my intended beach bum status, in case you hadn't figured out who I am yet. :wink:

I've got you, arvcondor, and oreo (I think) figured out. I just made mine as easy as possible because I don't really care if you or other TLSers know who I am. You were pretty easy b/c you're all hyped up on your apartment @ 3rd and Arch (though for some reason my brain kept thinking you were a girl (no offense) b/c your original avatar was of Elaine...so it wasn't immediately connected). There was someone else that I thought I had figured out, but I forget... I'd offer to be a beach bum with you but I've gotta keep working, and I think they might confuse me with a beached whale and try and dynamite me... I am very against being blown up!

Peace of Mind

Postby Peace of Mind » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:05 pm

Justathought wrote:Temple does have NYC and D.C. interview days, in case any of you were unaware. I'll certainly partake in both, especially since I'm from NY and wouldn't mind going back. However, I look at that as just potential icing on the cake. I really like Philadelphia. and would happily work there. In fact, with the lower cost of living, it would probably take a really awesome opportunity to get me out of the city.

But I still won't route for Philly sports teams. :wink:

Thank you for the info on D.C. and N.Y.C. interviews.

I'm a Yankee fan so I will definitely not be supporting Philly teams... I don't have to worry about getting beat wearing that do I? lol

Peace of Mind

Postby Peace of Mind » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:12 pm

pfrieden wrote:Not to enter into any competition but I actually did have a full scholarship offer from W&L which I turned down for Temple. The reasons I chose Temple instead (where I did get a scholarship but only $5K/year) are 1) I love the city of Philadelphia with every fiber of my being, my family is all here, and I don't feel the need to jet off to the backwoods of VA or elsewhere and 2) I ultimately want to live and work in Philadelphia so the perception (as noted) of top Temple grads within Philadelphia is pretty much unbeatable. The general feeling I get from many of the many lawyers I know in and around the Philadelphia area is that Temple actually produces better lawyers than Penn. Sure, Penn kids may have higher LSATs and perhaps even greater brainpower in the strictest sense, but they tend to pale in comparison to Temple kids in their desire to be true litigators and work hard.

Basically I'm saying that if you know for certain that you want to end up in Philadelphia or the surrounding area, go to Temple. Stop vacillating and go get yourself an Owls shirt. If, however, you want to go to DC or some other large legal market, Temple may not get your foot in that door. It is (as mentioned) a very regional school. The reputation of Temple is of a nationally respected law school, but it's not as highly ranked as other schools you guys seem to be considering.

Either way, if you guys end up on North Broad this fall, I look forward to meeting you.

Thank you for the info on Temple. I'm not set on D.C. but it is nice to know my options and exactly what my prospects are. I don't want to go into this blindly.

I will say one thing making me lean towards Temple is the mascott... Owls are pretty much amazing! :)

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:14 pm

Peace of Mind wrote:
Justathought wrote:Temple does have NYC and D.C. interview days, in case any of you were unaware. I'll certainly partake in both, especially since I'm from NY and wouldn't mind going back. However, I look at that as just potential icing on the cake. I really like Philadelphia. and would happily work there. In fact, with the lower cost of living, it would probably take a really awesome opportunity to get me out of the city.

I'm a Yankee fan so I will definitely not be supporting Philly teams... I don't have to worry about getting beat wearing that do I? lol

You're welcome, and yes, we do have to worry about that, apparently. My roommate advised me not to wear too much Yankee gear, especially if attending a sporting event.

Seriously, Philly sports fans are universally known as the toughest in the nation. I mean, they booed Santa Clause at an Eagles game!

x7227

Postby x7227 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:22 pm

Peace of Mind wrote:
I'm a Yankee fan

Its ok, we cant all be perfect...

Peace of Mind wrote:I don't have to worry about getting beat wearing that do I?

No, you're cool, gentle ribbing aside. Nothing like the fight that erupted two seats over from me @ Citi Field on saturday night when a drunk Mets fan (female) was upset that another mets fan wasn't as supportive as he could be, and decided it would be a smart move to dump beer on and take a (several) swing at his girlfriend. Lots of fun was had.

Seriously though, if you go to a Phillies-Yankees game at CBP, be prepared for some foul language if you're in the upper deck, but its few and far between that fights will actually break out anymore. Any other time, nobody will care what you're wearing.

Justathought wrote:You're welcome, and yes, we do have to worry about that, apparently. My roommate advised me not to wear too much Yankee gear, especially if attending a sporting event.

Seriously, Philly sports fans are universally known as the toughest in the nation. I mean, they booed Santa Clause at an Eagles game!

The Santa Claus thing...really? That happened in 1968 and apparently it applies to all philly fans in perpetuity. All I will say is at least we fill up every Phillies, Eagles, and Flyers game with passionate fans that actually show up before the 4th inning and stay through past the 8th...Heck the Flyers were still selling out games when they were dead last in the league during the 2006-2007 season, and that was a dark dark time in Flyers history... You'll be absolutely fine so long as you're not completely in other peoples' faces...Cheer for your team but don't start s**t by mocking the home team or engaging a drunk fan in less than civil discourse.

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:25 pm

x7227 wrote:
Peace of Mind wrote:
I'm a Yankee fan

No, you're cool, gentle ribbing aside. Nothing like the fight that erupted two seats over from me @ Citi Field on saturday night when a drunk Mets fan (female) was upset that another mets fan wasn't as supportive as he could be, and decided it would be a smart move to dump beer on and take a (several) swing at his girlfriend. Lots of fun was had.

Seriously though, if you go to a Phillies-Yankees game at CBP, be prepared for some foul language if you're in the upper deck, but its few and far between that fights will actually break out anymore. Any other time, nobody will care what you're wearing.

Justathought wrote:You're welcome, and yes, we do have to worry about that, apparently. My roommate advised me not to wear too much Yankee gear, especially if attending a sporting event.

The Santa Claus thing...really? That happened in 1968 and apparently it applies to all philly fans in perpetuity. All I will say is at least we fill up every Phillies, Eagles, and Flyers game with passionate fans that actually show up before the 4th inning and stay through past the 8th...Heck the Flyers were still selling out games when they were dead last in the league during the 2006-2007 season, and that was a dark dark time in Flyers history... You'll be absolutely fine so long as you're not completely in other peoples' faces...Cheer for your team but don't start s**t by mocking the home team or engaging a drunk fan in less than civil discourse.

I can tell you're an avid Philly sports fan. As a result, I am now justifiably afraid of you. :wink:

Peace of Mind

Postby Peace of Mind » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:44 pm

Justathought wrote:
Peace of Mind wrote:

You're welcome, and yes, we do have to worry about that, apparently. My roommate advised me not to wear too much Yankee gear, especially if attending a sporting event.

I have heard Philly fans are pretty brutle! I still think they pale in comparison to Dodger fans
Here in L.A. Dodger fans will beat you into a coma. They're nuts!
I will say that the fans are what really make a Dodger game fun especially in the cheap seats :)
Last edited by Peace of Mind on Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peace of Mind

Postby Peace of Mind » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:48 pm

x7227 wrote:
Peace of Mind wrote:
I'm a Yankee fan

I don't mind the foul language... that's expected... I also assume that being a female would keep them from getting too crazy with me, that and I don't drink and instigate fights. Watching the pointless fights around me is fun enough, no need to be involved in one :)

Peace of Mind

Postby Peace of Mind » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:50 pm

Justathought wrote:
x7227 wrote:
Peace of Mind wrote:
I'm a Yankee fan

I can tell you're an avid Philly sports fan. As a result, I am now justifiably afraid of you. :wink:

+1 :|

x7227

Postby x7227 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:18 pm

Peace of Mind wrote:
Justathought wrote:

+1 :|

Justifiable is such a fluid term...I believe the standard you should be using, now that we're almost 1Ls, is whether or not a reasonable person would have the same fear of me...

The answer, however, is still yes...

I'm definitely the scariest person you'll ever meet...I'm like a slightly more squat version of Lenny from Of Mice and Men. A simple person who doesn't know his own strength and is fiercely protective of the things he loves...wearing a Flyers jersey...and a Phillies hat...also Lenny has a laser gun and a race car and can fly. Whats that you say, Lenny didn't have any of those things? Well I never actually read Of Mice and Men...so there. Who's the illiterate one now?! Me, that's who!

pfrieden

Postby pfrieden » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:23 pm

Peace of Mind wrote:
pfrieden wrote:Not to enter into any competition but I actually did have a full scholarship offer from W&L which I turned down for Temple. The reasons I chose Temple instead (where I did get a scholarship but only $5K/year) are 1) I love the city of Philadelphia with every fiber of my being, my family is all here, and I don't feel the need to jet off to the backwoods of VA or elsewhere and 2) I ultimately want to live and work in Philadelphia so the perception (as noted) of top Temple grads within Philadelphia is pretty much unbeatable. The general feeling I get from many of the many lawyers I know in and around the Philadelphia area is that Temple actually produces better lawyers than Penn. Sure, Penn kids may have higher LSATs and perhaps even greater brainpower in the strictest sense, but they tend to pale in comparison to Temple kids in their desire to be true litigators and work hard.

Basically I'm saying that if you know for certain that you want to end up in Philadelphia or the surrounding area, go to Temple. Stop vacillating and go get yourself an Owls shirt. If, however, you want to go to DC or some other large legal market, Temple may not get your foot in that door. It is (as mentioned) a very regional school. The reputation of Temple is of a nationally respected law school, but it's not as highly ranked as other schools you guys seem to be considering.

Either way, if you guys end up on North Broad this fall, I look forward to meeting you.

Thank you for the info on Temple. I'm not set on D.C. but it is nice to know my options and exactly what my prospects are. I don't want to go into this blindly.

I will say one thing making me lean towards Temple is the mascott... Owls are pretty much amazing! :)

You're most welcome. If anyone has any specific questions about TU or the shitty of Philadelphia, I can try to answer those too. As for the whole "don't say those kinds of things with the TLS regulars around", in a bastardization of the supposed words of Marie Antoinette, Let them eat debt!

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:17 pm

By the way, pfrieden, I have of course figured out who you are on Facebook. I think I have Peace of Mind figured out as well. This, of course, makes us all friends. People who choose to post on internet forums display the appropriate level of nerdiness that I require among my friends .

pfrieden

Postby pfrieden » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:38 pm

Justathought wrote:By the way, pfrieden, I have of course figured out who you are on Facebook. I think I have Peace of Mind figured out as well. This, of course, makes us all friends. People who choose to post on internet forums display the appropriate level of nerdiness that I require among my friends .

I can only hope she actually looks like Natalie Portman.

She already has one strike against her coming to Philly as a Stankees fan (though not nearly as bad as the Mets).

x7227

Postby x7227 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:18 pm

pfrieden wrote:
Justathought wrote:By the way, pfrieden, I have of course figured out who you are on Facebook. I think I have Peace of Mind figured out as well. This, of course, makes us all friends. People who choose to post on internet forums display the appropriate level of nerdiness that I require among my friends .

She already has one strike against her coming to Philly as a Stankees fan (though not nearly as bad as the Mets).

I spent all afternoon trying to convince these new yorkers that us Philly fans weren't that bad...and then first comment out the chute is "stankees fan"...WE WERE ALMOST RID OF THAT SANTA CLAUS CRAP and now all that good will is broken...I'm just gonna go boo a clown or something now...no point in trying anymore, just gotta let it all out...

Btw...if you can't figure out who Phil is...I just dunno :lol: Sorry if I outed you though...

As for PeaceofMind, I have an idea as well, but I have a strict policy of not "friend-ing" anyone and just accepting all friend requests... so I'm not about to stick my neck out there and start friend a potentially random facebook person, I refuse to be "that guy". Also if she ultimately is not Natalie Portman, I just dunno...I just love the lie too much to potentially break the illusion that I'm not actually talking to Natalie :P

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:33 pm

x7227 wrote:
pfrieden wrote:

I spent all afternoon trying to convince these new yorkers that us Philly fans weren't that bad...and then first comment out the chute is "stankees fan"...WE WERE ALMOST RID OF THAT SANTA CLAUS CRAP and now all that good will is broken...I'm just gonna go boo a clown or something now...no point in trying anymore, just gotta let it all out...

Btw...if you can't figure out who Phil is...I just dunno :lol: Sorry if I outed you though...

As for PeaceofMind, I have an idea as well, but I have a strict policy of not "friend-ing" anyone and just accepting all friend requests... so I'm not about to stick my neck out there and start friend a potentially random facebook person, I refuse to be "that guy". Also if she ultimately is not Natalie Portman, I just dunno...I just love the lie too much to potentially break the illusion that I'm not actually talking to Natalie :P

Dude, I was talking about all of you guys being potential real life law school buddies. Not facebook friends. To be honest, I don't even use Facebook. I created my page because I figured it would be a good tool to meet people from Temple. So far that's proven true. Other than that, I have no need for the darn thing; plus it sends me like a billion emails every day.

Internet forums are another story. I secretly enjoy the shitshow they often devolve into. Okay, I openly enjoy it. :D

x7227

Postby x7227 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:39 pm

Justathought wrote:
x7227 wrote:
pfrieden wrote:

Dude, I was talking about all of you guys being potential real life law school buddies. Not facebook friends. To be honest, I don't even use Facebook. I created my page because I figured it would be a good tool to meet people from Temple. So far that's proven true. Other than that, I have no need for the darn thing; plus it sends me like a billion emails every day.

Internet forums are another story. I secretly enjoy the shitshow they often devolve into. Okay, I openly enjoy it. :D

Wait...there's a real life component associated with lawschool? Why did nobody inform me of this? :P

Seriously though, outside of the events being planned on the facebook page, I think us TLSers should get together for our own classy soiree...Top hats and tails, monocles and lucky strike sound like a plan to me.

Peace of Mind

Postby Peace of Mind » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:41 pm

I havn't joined the facebook group yet so I doubt you have me figured out lol I'll join eventually. Still waiting to see what happens next week as there should be some waitlist movement due to the second deposit deadlines. If they do another round next week(I'm assuming they will) and I don't get in I'll join. lol

I think everyone has a little nerd in them, many people just hide it to conform to society's definition of "cool" my .02

Peace of Mind

Postby Peace of Mind » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:47 pm

pfrieden wrote:

hahaha I can tell you right now I do not look like Natalie Portman, she's one of my favorite actresses and I'll be the first to say she's gorgeous!!! and smart(which is what i admire the most about her)

I guess now I have two strikes :mrgreen:

Peace of Mind

Postby Peace of Mind » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:50 pm

x7227 wrote:
pfrieden wrote:

I don't think Philly fans are that bad! I know they're hardcore in their love for their teams but Dodger fans are CRAZY and put people in comas. I personally could care less about booing Santa, I just imagine billy bob thorton in bad santa and it makes it ok. :)

you're just livin' the dream....

Peace of Mind

Postby Peace of Mind » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:52 pm

Justathought wrote:
x7227 wrote:
pfrieden wrote:

+1,000,000,000 :mrgreen:

pfrieden

Postby pfrieden » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:03 am

Why does everyone want to know who I am so badly? It never even occurred to me to look people up on Facebook or try to figure out who they are.

As for the sports talk going on, know before coming to Philadelphia that true Philadelphia sports fans hate (to a greater or lesser extent) every other sports team. The list of sports teams you absolutely cannot mention in Philadelphia without being jeered, physically assaulted, or otherwise harassed are as follows:

Baseball: Mets, Braves, Yankees, and Red Sox
Football: Cowgirls, Redskins, Giants and Steelers (there are others but those are the main 4)
Basketball: Lakers and that's about it really (Philadelphians don't get riled up over basketball so much because the Sixers have been futile for the past decade pretty much)
Hockey: Penguins, Rangers, Islanders, Capitals, Devils, Bruins, and Canadiens (Flyers fans, myself included, are particularly vicious)

If you root for any of those teams (and any I might have overlooked in my inner check of hatred towards each team that I just did), leave your paraphernalia at home because you're taking your life into your own hands otherwise.

Basically, Philadelphia is a rough, blue collar kind of town. You don't get that reputation for nothing. Philadelphians are passionate, loud, and they don't try to hide it.

N.B.: One of my college friends came from Pittsburgh and when he casually ordered "pop" at a restaurant our first time out, the waitress said "yo, what the hell is pop?" Once my friend said "you know, like Coke or Pepsi," he got a sharp "um, why the hell did you call it pop? it's freakin' soda dude." While 1 is a small sample size, that's not an atypical Philadelphia reaction to outsiders from what I hear. I don't want to scare anyone off, just saying that you might need to have a little bit of a thick skin to get along here at first. After a week or less, I think pretty much anyone could love it here.

And those merely a few of the many reasons why I love this town. Anyone who wishes to refute what I've said feel free to do so but I'm pretty comfortable with the veracity of my statements.

x7227

Postby x7227 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:53 am

pfrieden wrote:As for the sports talk going on, know before coming to Philadelphia that true Philadelphia sports fans hate (to a greater or lesser extent) every other sports team. The list of sports teams you absolutely cannot mention in Philadelphia without being jeered, physically assaulted, or otherwise harassed are as follows:

Hockey: Penguins, Rangers, Islanders, Capitals, Devils, Bruins, and Canadiens (Flyers fans, myself included, are particularly vicious)

And those merely a few of the many reasons why I love this town. Anyone who wishes to refute what I've said feel free to do so but I'm pretty comfortable with the veracity of my statements.

The Islanders? I don't think any Flyers fan has hated the Islanders since like the mid 80s. They've been so bad for so long its not even funny. They're not even like the Cardinals were when they were still in the NFC East, when they'd go 2-14 with the two wins against the Iggles, so it would be maddeningly frustrating. The Islanders just skate in small circles while Tavares and Okposo try to do everything. Also DiPietro is sitting on some beach with a piña colada nursing his latest "injury" and counting his money for the next 13 years. I mostly just laugh at the Islanders and wouldn't care if I saw anyone walking down the street in a jersey.

Also I think we can both agree that aside from verbal assaults in the upper decks, just walking down the street isnt gonna get someone knocked out. These things escalate when a Philly fan throws an insult, opposing team fan throws one back, and then, eventually, punches start getting thrown. If the other fan doesnt engage, no problems (its too much to ask for a 700-level Philly fan not to engage...Pfrieden is right about that).

I just hate the reputation that 90% of Philly fans get for the actions of the 10%. We're all passionate who can live and die with our teams, but the 10% make all of us look like jackarses to the rest of the nation.

oreo3405

Postby oreo3405 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:56 am

Justathought wrote:
x7227 wrote:

Im the one getting married, im sure you all know who i am :) haha
Plus my puppy in my avatar is all over my FB page so i think its pretty obvious lol

pfrieden

Postby pfrieden » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:23 am

x7227 wrote:
pfrieden wrote:As for the sports talk going on, know before coming to Philadelphia that true Philadelphia sports fans hate (to a greater or lesser extent) every other sports team. The list of sports teams you absolutely cannot mention in Philadelphia without being jeered, physically assaulted, or otherwise harassed are as follows:

The Islanders? I don't think any Flyers fan has hated the Islanders since like the mid 80s. They've been so bad for so long its not even funny. They're not even like the Cardinals were when they were still in the NFC East, when they'd go 2-14 with the two wins against the Iggles, so it would be maddeningly frustrating. The Islanders just skate in small circles while Tavares and Okposo try to do everything. Also DiPietro is sitting on some beach with a piña colada nursing his latest "injury" and counting his money for the next 13 years. I mostly just laugh at the Islanders and wouldn't care if I saw anyone walking down the street in a jersey.

Also I think we can both agree that aside from verbal assaults in the upper decks, just walking down the street isnt gonna get someone knocked out. These things escalate when a Philly fan throws an insult, opposing team fan throws one back, and then, eventually, punches start getting thrown. If the other fan doesnt engage, no problems (its too much to ask for a 700-level Philly fan not to engage...Pfrieden is right about that).

I just hate the reputation that 90% of Philly fans get for the actions of the 10%. We're all passionate who can live and die with our teams, but the 10% make all of us look like jackarses to the rest of the nation.

I think most of the people I know would say something. I agree though that our bark is worse than our bite. Just don't come here repping your team and think you're not going to meet resistance.

I hate the Islanders.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”